Jul 21, 2019 07:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reimagined Live-Action ATLA Coming to Netflix (with Original Creators)  (Read 16706 times)
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #175 on: Feb 07, 2019 10:33 pm »

Why? i wouldnt mind if the same story was told in a slightly different way. no blatant retcon, but the same events seen from a different angle so to speak.

I wouldn't mind retcons myself. I think it would be interesting of Ozai would be involved in Lu Ten's death.

People already believe that one tbh
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #176 on: Feb 07, 2019 10:35 pm »

Exactly. I could tolerate retcons, since this is going to be a different story and so it doesn't have to have anything to do with the original. And if they could slot into the original without issue, like the idea of Ozai arranging for Lu Ten's death, so much the better. It's the best of both worlds; if the retcon works well, we can all headcanon it into the original, and if it doesn't, we can pretend M Nighty came up with it.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #177 on: Feb 07, 2019 10:44 pm »

Sounds like a plan  Cheesy
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #178 on: Feb 08, 2019 01:43 pm »

We could then do a montage, pick the best bits of both versions and pretend not to understand when people ask why the series pops back and forth between animated, live action, and the odd sock puppet.

I vote we also integrate the abridged series while we’re at it

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #179 on: Feb 08, 2019 07:17 pm »

And put LoK's music on top of it all, just because.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #180 on: Feb 14, 2019 08:30 am »

If they do the Ember Island Players episode, should they make references to the film? It would be funny for them to make fun of the “pebble dance” with several guys moving in sync and then just one rock slowly floats by. Team Avatar could lampshade how ridiculous said scene is.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #181 on: Feb 14, 2019 09:28 am »

they'd have to make sure they really nail this series first.
-And take a good course in "getting crap past the radar" to get away with insulting a Paramount/Nickelodeon production while using the same Paramount/Nickelodeon-licensed property.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #182 on: Feb 14, 2019 07:08 pm »

No, no, no, why waste more time on that monstrosity? Time to move on. We're going to do something new and different for EIP. Instead of a play, it should be an animated movie and the gAang should see it in a nickelodeon. And they should argue about whether it counts as anime.

Okay, that last part might be a bit too meta.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #183 on: Feb 14, 2019 09:22 pm »

No, no, no, why waste more time on that monstrosity? Time to move on. We're going to do something new and different for EIP. Instead of a play, it should be an animated movie and the gAang should see it in a nickelodeon. And they should argue about whether it counts as anime.

Yea but it’d be absolutely hilarious
FireNation OrthodoxKnight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Roki Vulovic is the avatar

« Reply #184 on: Feb 15, 2019 02:24 pm »

Every important cast member in that Nickelodeon will be going to war with one another. And while there at it; they can put in The Search.

Greek, Russian, English, Serbian
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #185 on: Feb 15, 2019 04:43 pm »

You know what? Make that the whole conflict. Sozin decides to spread revisionist history about it being an anime for some kind of personal gain and then Roku realizes the problems with this. As per canon, the entire war is started because of his failure to stop Sozin from perpetuating this nonsense.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #186 on: Feb 15, 2019 09:35 pm »

Oh, I almost forgot, the gAang initially has a hard time finding a theater showing the thing because most are spamming a documentary about local sea sponge life.

FireNation OrthodoxKnight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Roki Vulovic is the avatar

« Reply #187 on: Feb 16, 2019 01:21 am »

You know what i want to see? Sokka singing on how the southern water tribe warriors are the best warriors of their world, and how they are constantly gaining victories against the fire nation. Maybe dedicate some songs towards Hakoda and Bato just like Roki!  The Gang can be the chorus singers. Who knows maybe it will be done by the Ember Island players.

Greek, Russian, English, Serbian
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #188 on: Feb 16, 2019 06:14 pm »

Oh, I almost forgot, the gAang initially has a hard time finding a theater showing the thing because most are spamming a documentary about local sea sponge life.

And one in particular happens to be living in a pineapple and working at a mysterious underwater restaurant.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #189 on: Feb 21, 2019 08:42 am »

Just to answrt a question that was raised earlier...

Well I suppose I have a tad bit more respect for them, but it just confuses me more why they didn't try to bring as much of the staff back as well as sharing creative control for Korra (as I believe that any writers brought back were basically just hired guns to relieve them of work load) to the point of them even being able to provide feedback.

In fairness yeah I can understand not wanting to wade through a lot of the more asinine fan comments to look for legit criticism.  Heck while I stand by the specifics of my critique I will concede I let myself get out of hand in how I expressed my opinion/criticism.

But then if they were truly open to feedback and not seeing critique as a harshing of their buzz, then there's no reason they couldn't hire professionals for imput on which ideas to can or modify.

They actually talked about this in an interview with Nerdist back in 2014. The reason is: the movie.  They felt so burned by the movie,  that when it came to making Korra, they wanted as much direct control over it as they could have.  They've never downplayed how important the entire production team was with ATLA  - in the making-of documentary for ATLA, they talk about assembling a "crack team" of the best artists, writers,  etc they could find.  For Korra Book 1, they felt like they had learned enough from ATLA to attempt to write it on their own.  Whether or not that decision paid off is of course a matter of debate,  but that was the thought process that went into it. Given how the movie turned out,  I think it's understandable that they felt the need to be protective of their creation.

This was when they only thought of Korra as a mini-series. Once it was expanded into a multi-season show,  they knew they needed to bring more people into the production, both with writing and directing.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #190 on: Feb 21, 2019 08:04 pm »

Is this the interview? I'm not going to be in a position to listen to an 1.5 hour interview for a few days, but I'd be interested in hearing that kind of thing.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #191 on: Feb 25, 2019 12:00 am »

Is this the interview? I'm not going to be in a position to listen to an 1.5 hour interview for a few days, but I'd be interested in hearing that kind of thing.

Yep, that's the one.  Massive interview, lots of good stuff. It's also the first time that Mike and Bryan opened up about what they thought of the movie and what went wrong.  At 1:01:00, they're talking about the contributions that Aaron Ehasz brought to the writing of ATLA, but then mention how they wanted to write Korra themselves after the "catastrophe" of the movie.  The interviewer presses them a bit on the subject, and they say a bunch of things.  Contrary to that Book 2 DVD extra where they acted all buddy-buddy with M. Night, they actually say that they didn't want a movie made at all, but it was out of their hands.  But if there was going to be a movie, they wanted to make it.  But, again, that wasn't their call.  So they're kind of making good on that intention with this live-action series.  (They also mention that things started out relatively positive when working with M. Night on the movie, but say that along the way there was a "big falling out".)

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #192 on: Feb 25, 2019 07:20 pm »

Well, that alone has me more interested in this whole Live Action Series thing just to see them make good on that desire. Maybe the franchise isn't in as dire a situation as I thought, and we might get something new after this, after they avenge themselves.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #193 on: Mar 11, 2019 05:01 pm »

I don't know where to post this exactly, so I decided to post it here because it includes little bit about the future. Maybe post it on the front page too?

A 37min Interview with Jeremy Zuckerman (you can increase speed to save time Grin). Description: "In this episode of The Mutuals Interviews, Ben Rolph talks to Jeremy Zuckerman who composed the score for ‘Legend of Korra’ and ‘Avatar The Last Airbender’. He will also compose the score for Netflix’s live-action ‘Avatar The Last Airbender’ series."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SytPS70JAGM

(How can I embed the video?)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #194 on: Mar 11, 2019 05:51 pm »

(No video embeds here.)

Speaking of the music, I am very curious how much of the new score will be synthesized, versus using real instruments. For certain instruments, there's a noticeable difference in the sound, and both AtLA and LoK made use of real instruments for special stuff. I wonder if the Netflix budget will allow for that to continue, or if it will all go synth.

Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #195 on: Mar 11, 2019 05:59 pm »

As long as the beautiful made up instrument that is the Tsungi Horn is included.

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #196 on: Mar 18, 2019 01:26 pm »

Frankly whether I can back up the claim that Bryke are cynics, I guess the final thing I can say on the matter here is that I'd feel more hopeful about something coming from them if they'd admit to being imperfect.

Credit where it's due I have a bit of respect I guess that they do share credit for the success of ATLA, but I'm talking about admitting that some of TLoK's shortcomings are just as much their fault as much as it could be with Nick or fans for not conforming to their mindset.

Actually admitting that even if they stand by their ideas that they did execute them poorly.  Cause frankly it's impossible to improve unless you can admit that improvement is needed.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #197 on: Mar 24, 2019 10:40 pm »

Frankly whether I can back up the claim that Bryke are cynics, I guess the final thing I can say on the matter here is that I'd feel more hopeful about something coming from them if they'd admit to being imperfect.

Credit where it's due I have a bit of respect I guess that they do share credit for the success of ATLA, but I'm talking about admitting that some of TLoK's shortcomings are just as much their fault as much as it could be with Nick or fans for not conforming to their mindset.

Actually admitting that even if they stand by their ideas that they did execute them poorly.  Cause frankly it's impossible to improve unless you can admit that improvement is needed.

I don't think Mike and Bryan ever pretend that Legend of Korra is somehow perfect. It's the show they wanted to make, and they're not going to apologize for that, but that's not the same thing as acting like it's perfect. It's presumptive of you to say they need to "admit" their shortcomings when they likely don't agree with you on those specific shortcomings to begin with.
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #198 on: Mar 25, 2019 01:49 pm »

I don't think Mike and Bryan ever pretend that Legend of Korra is somehow perfect. It's the show they wanted to make, and they're not going to apologize for that, but that's not the same thing as acting like it's perfect. It's presumptive of you to say they need to "admit" their shortcomings when they likely don't agree with you on those specific shortcomings to begin with.

Responding to this post in a PM and I suggest any one else who disagrees with my post takes it to PM as well.
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2019 11:24 am »

From Bryan's tumblr:

Mike and Brandon walking between meetings from a short while back… We’re moving into a new office space, transitioning into the next phase of production. Our core team is growing. We’re writing, planning, and testing. Though there’s plenty that’s new for us in this live action process, we’ve been on this long rollercoaster ride twice before and a lot of the climbs and twists and turns feel familiar. Right now, everything seems slow, and we’re itching to speed up; before we know it, everything will be moving too fast and happening all at once. For those who are eager to see this new series and are asking if we have a trailer yet: thank you for your enthusiasm, sincerely, but you wouldn’t want to see a version of this series that was made within 9 months. Too much Hollywood fare is fast-tracked and the results speak for themselves. Thankfully for us and this series, Netflix is committed to doing it right. We’re trying to make something special that will stand the test of time. A live action Avatar series is a daunting, incredibly complex thing to pull off — a fantasy travel show with tons of VFX, CG creatures, martial arts, etc. — and to do it right takes a ton of planning. On both the original series and Korra, when we were at this stage in the production the projects hadn’t even been announced yet. The difference with this Netflix series is that you all heard about it just a little bit after we started. So it will seem like a longer wait, but we can assure you that everyone is making good use of that time so we can craft something beautiful and emotionally powerful. Also so we can make sure Appa is cute. We’ll be starting the casting process before too long, so if you’re aspiring to be a part of this thing, keep taking acting lessons and some martial arts/movement classes. We’ll announce how, when, and where to audition soon-ish. Thanks! Love, Bryan ✨

I'm assuming by "Brandon" he means Brandon Soo Hoo? I remember fans were telling him to audition for the role of Zuko. Could it be him?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019 11:26 am by Aerial » Logged

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: