Jul 23, 2019 03:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reimagined Live-Action ATLA Coming to Netflix (with Original Creators)  (Read 16786 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #150 on: Dec 13, 2018 07:37 pm »

Hey, he might have just been having a slow morning when I met him. It was a quick encounter and I was happy he was drawing a Sokka in my AtLA Art Book. Cheesy

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #151 on: Dec 17, 2018 12:22 pm »

I'm not really looking forward to Bryke doing this to be honest.

To be (executive) producers is one thing. To be the head writers (AKA showrunners) and maybe even the directors too? I don't know....

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #152 on: Dec 17, 2018 05:20 pm »

Quote from: Antiyonder
Have Bryke been good about acknowledging the success of the show to the others who helped produce it or did they downplay everyone elses' contributions?

I don't think so. Whenever they talk about the show in social media or interviews they usually refer to it as a team effort and give credit where it's due. During panels at Comic-Con they were always self-deprecating about their own work, but praised everyone else in the staff.

Though if you ask me, I firmly believe Bryan in particular has let the success of the show get to his head a little, and I also think both him and Mike have been on the biggest writing block for a while Tongue

Well I suppose I have a tad bit more respect for them, but it just confuses me more why they didn't try to bring as much of the staff back as well as sharing creative control for Korra (as I believe that any writers brought back were basically just hired guns to relieve them of work load) to the point of them even being able to provide feedback.

In fairness yeah I can understand not wanting to wade through a lot of the more asinine fan comments to look for legit criticism.  Heck while I stand by the specifics of my critique I will concede I let myself get out of hand in how I expressed my opinion/criticism.

But then if they were truly open to feedback and not seeing critique as a harshing of their buzz, then there's no reason they couldn't hire professionals for imput on which ideas to can or modify.

Plus I don't think there's ever been a case where they admit to TLoK' shortcomings being on them.  Any genuine problems or disappointments due to either management screwing them over or that there's no such thing as legit fan complain and that we should be on the same page with them rather than having our own POV.

But yeah unless they can admit that some of their backfire was sometimes their fault entirely, this is what I expect from ATLA where they call the shots on their own (And counting Gene Yang's comics too since Bryke having consultant status means they could and should have overturn many moments in them):

1. Seriously a franchise which pokes fun at flanderization (Ember Island Player) shouldn't have done the same to the actual Sokka or the Krew analogue he had (Bolin).  So yeah I expect him to be like his EiP character without the selfawareness.

2A. Even if we're suppose to view the Gaang as good people I expect them to be jerkasses 95% of the time with only a pinch of decency, as well as their friendship being inferred rather than show through moments where they goof off with each other or show some goodwill towards each other.

2B. Certain flaws like Sokka's sexism likely wouldn't be treated as problematic since you know that's likely how "all high school and college boys behave (that and cheating on their date)". Roll Eyes  I mean it's not as bad as genocide amirite Grin

3. Ozai will have any less humanity or the potential to straighten up as Sozin's Comet suggested as a possibility.

4. The finale will likely see Yue and Jet revived, as well as there being a reveal of Air Nomad survivor descendants.  Yeah that's why I tend to see Korra as the Y7 equivalent to something like Family Guy and Frank Miller's All-Star Batman & Robin.  It had a serious atmosphere and yet I doubt that the decision to restore everyone's bending in Book 1 or recreating Air Nomads in 3 were some mandate were given to do.

It's a big reason why I don't see what tone Korra was ultimately going for.  I mean imagine if Watchmen ended with Dr. Manhattan restoring the life to all of those killed by the big bad and yet the world peace was kept (which the comic and even movie suggested may come to an end some day).

In contrast I think Gargoyles revealing there to be other clans worked because the show while dark didn't exactly have this highly cynical tone that Korra could have a times.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #153 on: Dec 17, 2018 07:41 pm »

Some other threads have made me wonder how much Shipping TM we might get with this series. AtLA had its planned romances, such as Kataang and possibly Maiko, but eventually the staff became aware of the Shipping TM Fandoms and began teasing them. Arguably, a lot of the problems with the portrayal of relationships in LoK was because the Mike and the Bryan were too aware of Shipping TM and tried to play to the audience that prioritized it.

So I wonder what level of Shipping TM we're going to get.

I think it will probably depend on the ages of the characters/actors that we end up with. If the main cast are the same ages as they were in the cartoon, I think the Shipping TM will probably be minimized. If they're aged up, though, then I wonder if we might not get a love triangle here and there. Perhaps Sokka hesitates to woo Yue because he thinks of Suki? Or he could try to date both Suki and Toph at the same time! Or Mai and Azula Ty Lee nearly ruin their friendship competing for Zuko! Or instead of idolizing Jet for a bit, Aang could be all angsty over Katara's obvious interest. Or we could do all of that along with the implication that Ozai had a secret obsession with Kya The First!

Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #154 on: Dec 17, 2018 08:02 pm »

On a related note...

5. One possible thing I expect with Kataang is for Bryke to take it for granted that people expect them to get together while trying too hard and yet not enough to make it feel organic.  Namely making Katara's feeling vague and not really doing the best job to illustrate that as a potential couple or even as friends that they're important to one another.

It's why I can give it a pass with the original cartoon rather than Korra (which has some repeated issues showing with Makorra and Korrasami) or why I'm unlikely to find it any better with the new ATLA.  Second go arounds should mean you use mistakes from your previous work as a learning experience so that later stuff is greatly improved.

6. If Katara and Toph do butt heads it will likely be over stereotypical things you see in many coms.  Crushing on the same guy or Katara mentioning that she's more beautiful, while Toph retorts that at least she's not a weakling.

And yeah besides her handling in TLoK Season 4 I expect her to be someone who has to remind us every minute that she's tough for a girl while at the same time having 'humorous moments' showing that strong women are a threat to men (i.e. TLoK episode Peacekeepers).
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2018 08:04 pm by Antiyonder » Logged
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #155 on: Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm »

AtLA had its planned romances, such as Kataang and possibly Maiko, but eventually the staff became aware of the Shipping TM Fandoms and began teasing them.

How so? The only example I can think of is the Season 3 trailer, where they showed Katara hugging Zuko right after that scene where Aang kisses Katara (and she's not very pleased about that). Other than that, I didn't see any instances of teasing in the actual show. Judging by the interviews where they talk about the different pairings in Avatar, it seemed to me like they made a point of sticking to their original plans and not letting the shipping wars affect the story Tongue

If they're aged up, though, then I wonder if we might not get a love triangle here and there. Perhaps Sokka hesitates to woo Yue because he thinks of Suki? Or he could try to date both Suki and Toph at the same time! Or Mai and Azula Ty Lee nearly ruin their friendship competing for Zuko! Or instead of idolizing Jet for a bit, Aang could be all angsty over Katara's obvious interest. Or we could do all of that along with the implication that Ozai had a secret obsession with Kya The First!

Or maybe they could make Zhue canon as it was always meant to be

and give Yue a personality other than running away crying

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #156 on: Dec 18, 2018 07:09 pm »

5. One possible thing I expect with Kataang is for Bryke to take it for granted that people expect them to get together while trying too hard and yet not enough to make it feel organic.  Namely making Katara's feeling vague and not really doing the best job to illustrate that as a potential couple or even as friends that they're important to one another.

It's why I can give it a pass with the original cartoon rather than Korra (which has some repeated issues showing with Makorra and Korrasami) or why I'm unlikely to find it any better with the new ATLA.  Second go arounds should mean you use mistakes from your previous work as a learning experience so that later stuff is greatly improved.

Honestly, I'm not sure they could do much worse than the original version of Kataang. It was cute, but it kind of relied on us recognizing the tropes, and then when they did try to address Katara's feelings, we just got that she was 'confused' and we've kind of had to bring our own interpretations to that. It worked well enough, because the story was rich enough that there was a lot of fodder for our interpretations, but Kataang by itself kind of meanders in a self-sabotaging manner.

So, considering what they have to draw on, I think we can probably expect at least the same quality, if not improvements.

And possibly also Zutara-baiting. Tongue

How so? The only example I can think of is the Season 3 trailer, where they showed Katara hugging Zuko right after that scene where Aang kisses Katara (and she's not very pleased about that). Other than that, I didn't see any instances of teasing in the actual show. Judging by the interviews where they talk about the different pairings in Avatar, it seemed to me like they made a point of sticking to their original plans and not letting the shipping wars affect the story Tongue

Granted, but there was the bit with the Zutara Love Cave in Ember Island Players, and then June in the finale joking about Zutara, just to have Zuko and Katara very resolutely shoot it down.

So I meant "teasing" in a malicious way.

And then there's this.

Or maybe they could make Zhue canon as it was always meant to be

http://fc72.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/092/d/8/Avatar_Season_3_Spoiler_Pt__2_by_Fierymonk.jpg

and give Yue a personality other than running away crying

I like you.

Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #157 on: Dec 18, 2018 09:00 pm »

Honestly, I'm not sure they could do much worse than the original version of Kataang. It was cute, but it kind of relied on us recognizing the tropes, and then when they did try to address Katara's feelings, we just got that she was 'confused' and we've kind of had to bring our own interpretations to that. It worked well enough, because the story was rich enough that there was a lot of fodder for our interpretations, but Kataang by itself kind of meanders in a self-sabotaging manner.

So, considering what they have to draw on, I think we can probably expect at least the same quality, if not improvements.

I don't know, I mean they kind of made the same mistake with the pairings in TLoK and even worse to a degree.  Makorra's probably the best example I can go with.  Since his first appearance, we first learn of Mako crushing on Korra not through Episodes 2-4 or even during the course of 5, but the recap of the beginning of the episode:

Shrio Shinobi: [Narrating a newsreel.] Love is in the air! Since Avatar Korra has arrived in Republic City she's only had eyes for one fellow: Mako. The feeling seemed mutual until a fateful accident intervened. Now Mako's affections have fallen right into the arms of the beautiful Asami. Will love prove to be Korra's most formidable foe yet?

Yeah they actually relied on telling us in the recap without any visual signs (obvious or subtle) before the claim that he returned her feelings.  Episode 3 shows Mako composing himself pretty well after his and Korra's nap with at best the last moment involving him suggests he's growing some respect for her.  Episode 4 doesn't even show a lick of detail to suggest that a part of him pines for Korra.

But then as much as friendship can only get you far?  Even if Katara's feelings suggest platonic, familial or more of a developing crush (as opposed to Aang liking her from the start), you never doubt that she still cares for him and he is very important to her.

Mako on the other hand?:

1. Aftermath- Ready to drop their friendship with her and shows not a drop of regret until she proves she's trustworthy (I don't even get Mako's ridiculous logic.  If Korra was trying to sabotage their relationship, then why would she make her accusations towards Hiroshi and not Asami?).  In contrast Katara (and Sokka) prepared to leave Aang based on found reasons, still were uneasy about it and after Bato's pep talk in the end decided to stick with Aang despite him actually being in the wrong.

2. When Extremes Meet and Out of the Past: Korra basically had to be emotionally vulnerable and later passing out for him to show concern.  No such thing was required of Aang in order for Katara to show that she cared for him, even if it seemed like it was just as friends.

Plus I often think of how some of the fandom thought Mako would be the Team's Dad so to speak in contrast with Katara being the Gaang's mother figure, but don't see that as Mako could never really find that balance of sharing his love equally with the Krew.

Simply put, I don't expect Katara to come through as even a devoted friend or team mother*.  Heck their retelling of Bato and the Water Tribe will be more like The Aftermath at least as much as possible.

*Beside, in order for a story to be mature, you need to have the characters showing more disdain that respect for each other.  Anything more than 5-10% of levity/likability according to Bryke logic will result in a sweet and saccharine story.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2018 09:03 pm by Antiyonder » Logged
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #158 on: Dec 19, 2018 12:39 am »

Granted, but there was the bit with the Zutara Love Cave in Ember Island Players, and then June in the finale joking about Zutara, just to have Zuko and Katara very resolutely shoot it down.

So I meant "teasing" in a malicious way.

The only type of ship tease that's okay in my book.

And then there's this.

You gotta wonder if there were kids at that panel and seeing Toph at min 1:43 left them scarred for life  Cheesy

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #159 on: Dec 19, 2018 08:53 pm »

Simply put, I don't expect Katara to come through as even a devoted friend or team mother*.  Heck their retelling of Bato and the Water Tribe will be more like The Aftermath at least as much as possible.

I think you're conflating disastrous storytelling with bad characterization. LoK had its storytelling problems, but usually that came from over-reaching and having things collapse into a mess at the end. For most of each season, I was actually on board with what they were doing in terms of the overall story, and it was only when it resolved badly that I turned on it.

The real problem with LoK, I think, is that the characterization was bad. Mako and Bolin each had initial summaries of their characters that were never reflected by what we saw on-screen, and I think the creative team struggled to come up with ideas throughout the series about what Mako wants out of life. Likewise, we saw the characters used as plot devices, or else sidelined completely when they no longer had story arcs but still had a presence on the show. And in a lot of cases, we just had characters who were unpleasant to watch.

But all of that has already been resolved with the AtLA characters. The had work has already been done.

We have a good sense of who the characters are, how they behave, and what they want.

The characters' wants and needs are already integrated directly into the main plot of the show.

We already know how both the show and the character arcs end, and it's very satisfying.

There's no reason this should go as badly as you're expecting, except for this...

*Beside, in order for a story to be mature, you need to have the characters showing more disdain that respect for each other.  Anything more than 5-10% of levity/likability according to Bryke logic will result in a sweet and saccharine story.

I can't directly refute this, but I'm still not convinced that the Mike and the Bryan are this cynical about things. They wanted to do different things with LoK, and did not succeed (IMO) in making it compelling, but I don't think it reflects some greater worldview that they're going to impose on an AtLA remake. AtLA also reflects their sensibilities, and even before all the other collaborators joined in, what we saw of the original scriptment for the series indicates that, an ill-considered love triangle aside, they still had a fairly positive view they were integrating into the story.

Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #160 on: Jan 03, 2019 07:10 pm »

A message from Bryan on Tumblr regarding the casting call for the live-action series:

TO EVERYONE INTERESTED IN AUDITIONING FOR THE LIVE-ACTION AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER SERIES ON NETFLIX:
We greatly appreciate your interest and enthusiasm, but we are not yet at that stage in the production.
There will be an OPEN CASTING CALL, likely sometime later this year. When that happens, we will publicly share the information for how to *officially* apply.
Until then, please refrain from tagging, commenting, DMing, etc. your auditions — I don’t check that stuff and no one else at Netflix does either. We’re not casting via social media and I don’t want anyone wasting their time and energy. Put it towards working on your audition instead. Good luck!
Thanks, Bryan

(source)

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #161 on: Jan 03, 2019 07:12 pm »

Well, I'm glad he posted that before I recorded my Mai audition. Those hairbuns take forever to get right.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #162 on: Jan 04, 2019 03:05 am »

But, but, think of the snowflakes!

i feel bad for show creators everywhere who get pelted with endless embarassing videos of people who have never been told there are limits to their specialness.

people who know how casting works already go through the right channels.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 06:17 am by Yougo » Logged

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #163 on: Jan 05, 2019 04:01 pm »

It must be worse now that we have these massive social platforms like Tumblr, hosting both fans and creators. I remember people posting audition videos here for M Nighty's movie (in addition to being sent through proper channels, or so the claims went), where the Mike and the Bryan would safely never see them. Now Tumblr gives these people a direct avenue to the creators.

I miss the days when fans and creators met about as often as North and South Korea.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #164 on: Jan 05, 2019 05:09 pm »

Well hey, look on the bright side. Some of these auditions make for great comedy!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #165 on: Jan 06, 2019 12:11 am »

That's probably why the Mike didn't post the notice. He probably enjoys them, watching for hours at his vacation house while sipping wine out of a coffee mug and smelling the beautiful Costa Rican air through an open window.

At least, that's what I'd do with a massive fanbase, a remake in the works, and a vacation house in Costa Rica.

FireNation OrthodoxKnight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Roki Vulovic is the avatar

« Reply #166 on: Jan 26, 2019 02:22 pm »

That's probably why the Mike didn't post the notice. He probably enjoys them, watching for hours at his vacation house while sipping wine out of a coffee mug and smelling the beautiful Costa Rican air through an open window.

At least, that's what I'd do with a massive fanbase, a remake in the works, and a vacation house in Costa Rica.
Did Mike and Bryan really make that much revenue off avatar? There was this Naruto review youtuber who meet kishamoto accidentally in the bathroom.  You'd think that Mike and Bryan would have a lot of cringe feelings watching fan auditions, as well as some kind of feeling of the ultimate boon.

Greek, Russian, English, Serbian
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #167 on: Feb 03, 2019 08:53 am »

Apparently, Mike and Bryan are trying to have Dante Basco "be a part of [the] project".
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtURQeIl4gf/

I think having him play Lu Ten in a flashback would be neat.

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #168 on: Feb 03, 2019 12:13 pm »

I'm not really interested in seeing a live action Lu Ten unless we see this version of Ozai taking a more active role in securing his own succession.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #169 on: Feb 06, 2019 10:51 pm »

I'm not really interested in seeing a live action Lu Ten unless we see this version of Ozai taking a more active role in securing his own succession.
I would be up for it, but we need to see how Lu Ten acted around the family, and i mean everyone of them. Though technically it would bad that we see Lu Ten in the live action then the actual cartoon or comic.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #170 on: Feb 07, 2019 12:44 am »

Why? i wouldnt mind if the same story was told in a slightly different way. no blatant retcon, but the same events seen from a different angle so to speak.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #171 on: Feb 07, 2019 12:47 am »

I would be up for it, but we need to see how Lu Ten acted around the family, and i mean everyone of them. Though technically it would bad that we see Lu Ten in the live action then the actual cartoon or comic.

Hey at least we might get a name for his mother lol

Why? i wouldnt mind if the same story was told in a slightly different way. no blatant retcon, but the same events seen from a different angle so to speak.

I hear ya. Maybe an Ozai-Azula scene that could do a better foreshadowing of her breakdown. Always thought it was a bit glossed over.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #172 on: Feb 07, 2019 03:02 pm »

[/quote] Hey at least we might get a name for his mother lol
[/quote] I hear ya. Maybe an Ozai-Azula scene that could do a better foreshadowing of her breakdown. Always thought it was a bit glossed over.
[/quote]
Yeah, seeing who the mother was and how she ended assuming that she is dead would be another positive if they do that. Maybe; we'll see how Ozai lost favor and how he got angry with Azula after Zuko said that she lied. Also it may reveal why Azula didn't oppose her father when Ozai was getting on the airships, and  the proclamation of being phoenix king.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #173 on: Feb 07, 2019 07:21 pm »

Did Mike and Bryan really make that much revenue off avatar?

I was posting comedy. For all I know, their Costa Rican estates were inherited.

I hear ya. Maybe an Ozai-Azula scene that could do a better foreshadowing of her breakdown. Always thought it was a bit glossed over.

Maybe she can make Crazy Eyes when she says, "Almost isn't good enough," in her first appearance.

What I would like to see isn't so much foreshadowing as the lowkey beginning of her breakdown after Zuko leaves. There's evidence of it starting in some of her behavior, but I'd love the chance to get some POV scenes from her back home and how she deals with her world starting to crumble around her.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #174 on: Feb 07, 2019 10:26 pm »

I wouldn't mind retcons myself. I think it would be interesting of Ozai would be involved in Lu Ten's death.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: