Oct 21, 2019 09:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Live-Action ATLA Coming to Netflix [NO posting of leaks!]  (Read 19862 times)
FireNation OrthodoxKnight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Roki Vulovic is the avatar

« Reply #125 on: Dec 03, 2018 11:03 pm »

I mean, what we really want is a GoT-style Fire Nation show, right? But with a little less nudity and a little more violence.

By far more violence, but i want bigger battles and more casualties. I was disappointed that the southern water tribe wasn't as violent or taking down more fire nation soldiers. It would be great to see the invasion of Black sun as a much more larger and static battle. Also seeing the masked fire nation face mask being sliced in half would look aesthetic.

Greek, Russian, English, Serbian
Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #126 on: Dec 04, 2018 06:39 pm »

I mean, what we really want is a GoT-style Fire Nation show, right? But with a little less nudity and a little more violence.

By far more violence, but i want bigger battles and more casualties. I was disappointed that the southern water tribe wasn't as violent or taking down more fire nation soldiers. It would be great to see the invasion of Black sun as a much more larger and static battle. Also seeing the masked fire nation face mask being sliced in half would look aesthetic.

Personally I’d like to see a decapitation.... but that’s not gonna happen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #127 on: Dec 04, 2018 10:27 pm »

Personally I’d like to see a decapitation.... but that’s not gonna happen

It would be interesting to see that knowing Sokka's space sword would be ideal for decapitations. They may go towards a little more violence because the generation that watched the show(the majority of course) were children and are now adults. We will have to wait and see.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #128 on: Dec 05, 2018 09:58 am »

That is a true. The fanbase that grew up on it is well..... grown up. So some less kid friendly stuff may not be totally impossible.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #129 on: Dec 05, 2018 02:14 pm »

As for characters it might be good to emphasize Zuko's dark side more. He was definitely jealous of Azula and really wanted to be the favorite one instead of her, only his clumsiness prevented him from that. Who knows how he would have turned out if his wish had been granted earlier instead of by the time of season 3.

As for violence and brutality, I'm not too squeemish nor morally opposed to it in itself but I don't think it would be wise if the show was too brutal, unless it aimed to reach another target audience. Outseating GoT has gotta be real difficult though.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know what time it is~

« Reply #130 on: Dec 06, 2018 10:36 pm »

If they make this show more "adult", then I'm definitely not watching it. AtLA was already pretty mature for a kids show, and TLoK took that even further. Anything beyond what we've already gotten wouldn't feel like Avatar, it would feel like, well, GoT.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #131 on: Dec 07, 2018 01:21 am »

That is a true. The fanbase that grew up on it is well..... grown up. So some less kid friendly stuff may not be totally impossible.
Absoulty, it dons't have to be too graphic, but they can gon into a small amount of intense violence. My rational is that there are hostiles being acted upon since the 100 year war is going.

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #132 on: Dec 07, 2018 12:10 pm »

If they make this show more "adult", then I'm definitely not watching it. AtLA was already pretty mature for a kids show, and TLoK took that even further. Anything beyond what we've already gotten wouldn't feel like Avatar, it would feel like, well, GoT.

Define adult?

I mean I would love to see a dynastic struggle within the Fire Nation royal family. You know, the ones that were hinted in the show but were consequentially dropped.

And I would love to see some real stakes in these fights. Like fighting firebenders should be an absolutely terrifying and traumatic experience...even if you survive. Not only do most people have a primal fear of being burned alive but most people also are not fans of loud noises and spontaneous bursts of light (both being a part of firebending).

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #133 on: Dec 07, 2018 06:06 pm »

Define adult?

I mean I would love to see a dynastic struggle within the Fire Nation royal family. You know, the ones that were hinted in the show but were consequentially dropped.

And I would love to see some real stakes in these fights. Like fighting firebenders should be an absolutely terrifying and traumatic experience...even if you survive. Not only do most people have a primal fear of being burned alive but most people also are not fans of loud noises and spontaneous bursts of light (both being a part of firebending).

I agree. Great point on the horror it would be going toe to toe with a firebender. I think that would be a good plot device for Sokka since he is not a bender. The show did hint the fear of going up against a firebender with Azula's character in book two, and book three. I watched a youtube video on Azula's character and he made a point that the gang knows that Azula will always find them and that the experience will not be pleasant. I think for the gang the most they could do to turn the tide of going up against firebenders and the fear that they exhibit ought to fall on Sokka, who we could then see even more genius.

As for characters it might be good to emphasize Zuko's dark side more. He was definitely jealous of Azula and really wanted to be the favorite one instead of her, only his clumsiness prevented him from that. Who knows how he would have turned out if his wish had been granted earlier instead of by the time of season 3.

As for violence and brutality, I'm not too squeemish nor morally opposed to it in itself but I don't think it would be wise if the show was too brutal, unless it aimed to reach another target audience. Outseating GoT has gotta be real difficult though.
I don't think trying to match game of thrones is ideal for the avatar world, but some kind of extra violence is necessarily to me because of the 100 hundred war. However you're rational on violence isn't that bad as long as it knows the audience.

Seeing the battle of Zuko's self and how he figures out what he truly wants with a more darker side seems to draw in a more tragic element with Zuko. Portraying Zuko's own anger with his clumsiness and jealousy may show that Zuko can enter into madness easily, reflecting zuko's redemption was even more metaphysical and religious conception that ties in to Christianity.

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2018 06:56 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #134 on: Dec 07, 2018 07:21 pm »

I’d like to see some mind games between Sokka and Azula. Those two know their stuff when it comes to tactics and I always considered Sokka to be one of the true threats to Azula that people often overlook.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #135 on: Dec 08, 2018 12:56 pm »

I’d like to see some mind games between Sokka and Azula. Those two know their stuff when it comes to tactics and I always considered Sokka to be one of the true threats to Azula that people often overlook.
I know that is what i really want to see. Azula vs Sokka in a mind game. This might sound wired but when i was reading the Search comic it seemed to hint or hide very alluring that Azula has some kind of admiration for Sokka, maybe a crush? There is an article about Azula seeing Sokka as the biggest threat because he was the leader. It's a good article i higly suggest reading it.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #136 on: Dec 08, 2018 03:53 pm »

I know that is what i really want to see. Azula vs Sokka in a mind game. This might sound wired but when i was reading the Search comic it seemed to hint or hide very alluring that Azula has some kind of admiration for Sokka, maybe a crush? There is an article about Azula seeing Sokka as the biggest threat because he was the leader. It's a good article i higly suggest reading it.

https://www.google.com/amp/xenavitani.tumblr.com/post/143606712661/focusas-amporas-ok-so-i-screenshotted-this/amp

This? Yeah I’ve seen it before. It’s spot on.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #137 on: Dec 08, 2018 09:41 pm »

https://www.google.com/amp/xenavitani.tumblr.com/post/143606712661/focusas-amporas-ok-so-i-screenshotted-this/amp

Yep, this is the article that i was referring too.  The article is really spot on with everything, especially on the day of black sun part 2, where azula decides to attack sokka instead of Aang or Toph.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2018 09:48 pm by FireNation OrthodoxKnight » Logged

Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #138 on: Dec 08, 2018 09:54 pm »

As for characters it might be good to emphasize Zuko's dark side more. He was definitely jealous of Azula and really wanted to be the favorite one instead of her, only his clumsiness prevented him from that.

I never got the impression that he wanted to be the favourite child. Sure, he wanted his father's love and would've done anything to get it, but at the same time I feel like he had come to terms with the fact that Azula would always be the favourite one. To him, just being welcomed home with open arms and staying on Ozai's good side would've been enough.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #139 on: Dec 09, 2018 04:39 pm »

Yeah, I think I agree with that. Both siblings see themselves as being in competition, because they are in Ozai's eyes, but Zuko never really seemed interested in anything more than fairness. Everything he expressed just indicated that he wanted the acceptance she had, not that he wanted hers taken away.

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #140 on: Dec 10, 2018 06:51 pm »

The finale and the comics clearly show he is convinced of his (divine) destiny to be ruler and when it comes to rulers there can only be one. In "The Storm" he insists to Iroh to be on the fateful meeting because he wants to rule the nation one day. I don't think for a second the Fire Nation can have two rulers or any such arrangement. For him to shine on that position Azula has to go down. When he spoke about her luck to Aang his resentment was audible and even when they interact peacefully he's hostile and defensive by default. Also, envy and a sense of fairness are not mutually exclusive, more often than not they go hand in hand.

Then again, I've always been a shining beacon of positivity so my views are probably tainted.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #141 on: Dec 10, 2018 07:56 pm »

Well, he's the older brother. If you're the type to believe that you get to rule a nation just because you were randomly born to a certain father, then there's no reason not to believe that you get to rule because you were born to your little sister. Azula's the hypocrite here, talking about the divine right to rule but also believing that she gets to leapfrog her brother because she's better than him.

I don't think it was personal.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #142 on: Dec 10, 2018 08:39 pm »

Well, he's the older brother. If you're the type to believe that you get to rule a nation just because you were randomly born to a certain father, then there's no reason not to believe that you get to rule because you were born to your little sister. Azula's the hypocrite here, talking about the divine right to rule but also believing that she gets to leapfrog her brother because she's better than him.

I don't think it was personal.
Well technically Zuko was not born into a random father to be in line for the position of the crown. In monarchistic political discourse especially in the catholic west and the orthodox east made the point that hereditary birth eliminated politics. I must disagree from what i know of monarchism on the divine rights in avatar, because the divine rights theory is different from each religion, state, nation and culture. For example the divine rights is different in Greece then Thailand, So for the fire nation, i think we would need to know more on how the culture works in the fire nation, and how succession works. We know that a fire lord can remove someone in line, which Ozai did and as well as Azulon. That means asking who is legitimate, which the comics and the angi kai focused on. Azula may be a hypocrite here but she also might be right in saying "that the divine favors me because i'm better the prodigy."

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #143 on: Dec 11, 2018 07:45 am »

inb4 it gets retconned by the next comic, but waaay back, there was no Fire Lord.
there was the council of Fire Sages. Head of that council was one of the Fire Sages.
At some point too much executive power moved towards the head/main/chief/boss/w.e. Sage until he became both a religious and political leader, a Lord.
The council was cast aside in favor of an assembly of ministers, generals and admirals.

So the divine right is still conveniently derived from the religious component, except the position is no longer chosen from among the Fire Sages, but rather as the ruling Fire Lord sees fit (defaulting to the bloodline), or through Agni Kai of course.

Think of it as a pope turned banana republic dictator :-P

so i think while it might be a Fire Lord's decree to be succeeded by lineage, it's also easily his divine right to choose otherwise. (no need to actually ban, murder, dishonor or disown family members, but it may help to substantiate political leverage, and prevent subsequent Akni Kais down the line)

i like to think the religious component was a big reason for Ursa (an Avatar's descendant) to be selected as a bride for Ozai, and may have fueled Iroh's explanation to Zuko in The Avatar and the Fire Lord. (like 85% BS motivational speech + 15% culturally ingrained superstition = Hogwash is best served with a sprinkling of truth  Grin)

from the divine component, Firebending affinity may very well outweigh bloodline (hence Akni Kai being a legitimate venue), but is severely hampered politics and power play. there is no question in my mind someone like Jeong Jeong is easily more spiritual than Ozai, but in no position to ever get close enough to challenge the Fire Lord if he wanted to.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2018 08:00 am by Yougo » Logged

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #144 on: Dec 12, 2018 10:48 am »

Incidentally, when it came to the success of the original ATLA, I'm honestly just curious.  Have Bryke been good about acknowledging the success of the show to the others who helped produce it or did they downplay everyone elses' contributions?
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #145 on: Dec 12, 2018 02:01 pm »

The finale and the comics clearly show he is convinced of his (divine) destiny to be ruler and when it comes to rulers there can only be one. In "The Storm" he insists to Iroh to be on the fateful meeting because he wants to rule the nation one day. I don't think for a second the Fire Nation can have two rulers or any such arrangement. For him to shine on that position Azula has to go down.

Does she though? As long as Ozai likes them both, he can succeed the throne just fine. He doesn't need to be the favourite one. Of course, a world where Ozai loves them both only exists in Zuko's head.

When he spoke about her luck to Aang his resentment was audible and even when they interact peacefully he's hostile and defensive by default.

I don't think that's necessarily a sign that he wants to take away her father's adoration for her. Zuko's always been a just person deep inside and, as Loopy said above, all he wants is fairness. He's envious, sure, but he's not covetous to the point that he'd be fine with stealing something that's so precious to his own sister. Heck, I think he'd even feel guilty.

And yeah, he's always resentful and hostile when they interact, but that's probably because Azula is a cunning, manipulative, and overall horrible person, not because he wants the attention she has Tongue

Anyway, this is all just the way I interpret it. I can see your point, too.

Quote from: Antiyonder
Have Bryke been good about acknowledging the success of the show to the others who helped produce it or did they downplay everyone elses' contributions?

I don't think so. Whenever they talk about the show in social media or interviews they usually refer to it as a team effort and give credit where it's due. During panels at Comic-Con they were always self-deprecating about their own work, but praised everyone else in the staff.

Though if you ask me, I firmly believe Bryan in particular has let the success of the show get to his head a little, and I also think both him and Mike have been on the biggest writing block for a while Tongue

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #146 on: Dec 13, 2018 04:52 am »

Does she though? As long as Ozai likes them both, he can succeed the throne just fine. He doesn't need to be the favourite one. Of course, a world where Ozai loves them both only exists in Zuko's head.

To be fair, i think it existed only in Azula's head as well. he might have favored her for her skills, and above all usefulness, but i doubt if Ozai is actually capable of love.
remember when Ozai dubbed himself "Phoenix King" and dumped the position of Fire Lord at her feet like it was yesterdays newspaper? after all her effort to be on her father's good side, he just reduced her to a glorified seat heater. he might as well have assigned her as governor of "New Ozai" (occupied Omashu, that is). there was no chance ever he was going to see her as anything other than a gopher. and it only dawned on her then and there.

he didn't even play her. for that he'd have to at least care. she diligently offered her service and he took it.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #147 on: Dec 13, 2018 07:49 am »

To be fair, i think it existed only in Azula's head as well. he might have favored her for her skills, and above all usefulness, but i doubt if Ozai is actually capable of love.
remember when Ozai dubbed himself "Phoenix King" and dumped the position of Fire Lord at her feet like it was yesterdays newspaper? after all her effort to be on her father's good side, he just reduced her to a glorified seat heater. he might as well have assigned her as governor of "New Ozai" (occupied Omashu, that is). there was no chance ever he was going to see her as anything other than a gopher. and it only dawned on her then and there.

he didn't even play her. for that he'd have to at least care. she diligently offered her service and he took it.

Oh yeah, I agree. Ozai doesn't actually love Azula. To him, she's just another asset at his disposal. And I'm sure that after DoBS, he never forgot the fact that his daughter straight up lied to him about the Avatar's death. She's still valuable in his eyes, but he looks displeased with her in The Phoenix King episode, even before she voices her complaints.

By the way, your comment reminded me of this tumblr post.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2018 08:06 am by Aerial » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #148 on: Dec 13, 2018 07:01 pm »

Have Bryke been good about acknowledging the success of the show to the others who helped produce it or did they downplay everyone elses' contributions?

I don't think so. Whenever they talk about the show in social media or interviews they usually refer to it as a team effort and give credit where it's due. During panels at Comic-Con they were always self-deprecating about their own work, but praised everyone else in the staff.

Yeah, their DVD Commentaries have gone into the mechanics of their Writing Room and how it was so collaborative that no one knows for sure who even came up with an individual line. They also spend a lot of those commentaries talking about the backgrounds and art direction, including calling out who storyboarded specific sequences or drew a certain background.

Though if you ask me, I firmly believe Bryan in particular has let the success of the show get to his head a little, and I also think both him and Mike have been on the biggest writing block for a while Tongue

Interesting. When I saw the Bryan at a signing at NYCC 2017, I got the opposite feeling.

Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #149 on: Dec 13, 2018 07:22 pm »

Interesting. When I saw the Bryan at a signing at NYCC 2017, I got the opposite feeling.

Never met the guy in person, but I remember going on a browsing spree through Bryke's social media a while back and reading a number of posts where Bryan sounded a little cocky. I don't remember any specific examples, but I do remember raising my eyebrow quite a few times.

I admit I might be exaggerating, though. I probably just happened to be in an overly judgemental mood the day I read those posts Tongue

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: