Dec 15, 2019 06:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Live-Action ATLA Coming to Netflix [NO posting of leaks!]  (Read 24620 times)
Keekay
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

It's pronounced "Kee-kay".

« Reply #100 on: Sep 24, 2018 11:27 am »

Sammo Hung as Iroh is the hill I will die on.

I think Shaun Toub was very good as an interpretation of Iroh that was, admittedly, very different to the original character. As its own thing, it was one of the few bright spots in that whole unfortunate affair.

Made by the ridiculously awesome Peachi Grin
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #101 on: Sep 24, 2018 12:18 pm »

Thank you, until now I didn't know Sammo Hung was the delightful fat guy from the early Jackie Chan movies Cheesy Had to look him up.

The actor from Last Airbender would have been ok to play young Iroh, the effective and ruthless general who worked for Sozin's dream but who wasn't entirely devoid of wisdom and compassion.

I would like it if the live action show explored Iroh's flaws some more, make it more clear that he was aiming to achieve his own redemption through Zuko. He was the one who failed to put an end to the war by conquering Ba Sing Se and who let his known psychopath of a brother take the throne afterwards.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #102 on: Sep 24, 2018 03:28 pm »

Now that I think of it, I would't mind a clarification/retelling of Fire Lord Azulon's death. I never liked that threatening to kill one heir after another one had died was the second to finale word in that situation.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #103 on: Sep 24, 2018 05:59 pm »

Oh, wow people still defending white-washing, this really does feel like a revival of Avatar.

Sorry, but I'm utterly unfazed by Xwashing. If the actor has the looks and the personality for it then he can be an interdimensional tentacle monster for all I care. I liked Idris Elba as Heimdall, I think Jason Momoa is a good Aquaman, and yes, IMO Jackson Rathbone was the perfect choice for Sokka.

Since you're not American, I feel the need to inform you that you're missing a lot of social context that goes into the films we produce, and the examples you list are not considered equal here.

You are now burdened by that knowledge, and cannot pretend to lack understanding when people find statements like this offensive and off-putting. Tongue

Now that I think of it, I would't mind a clarification/retelling of Fire Lord Azulon's death. I never liked that threatening to kill one heir after another one had died was the second to finale word in that situation.

I'm hoping we get a retcon/reimagining of what The Search revealed. But I think the odds are long that we'll get anything added this adaptation; I'm expecting lots of compression.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Sep 24, 2018 06:27 pm »

I am not sure there will be a ton of compression if each episode is an hour and there will be ten episodes a season. However they will probably have to excise some parts as it would be off putting to have several different plot points back to back in the same episode. Like they can’t just cram King of Omashu and Imprisoned together. It would just look sloppy.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2018 08:12 pm by luvavatar » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #105 on: Sep 24, 2018 06:47 pm »

Well, I don't expect a live action performance to move as fast as animated storytelling. But I'm no artist or filmmaker, so I could certainly be wrong.

RoseWild
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #106 on: Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am »

I am not sure there will be a ton of compression if each episode is an hour and there will be ten episodes a season. However they will probably have to excise some parts as it would be off putting to have several different plot points back to back in the same episode. Like they can’t just cram King of Omashu and Imprisoned together. It would just look sloppy.
Well, I don't expect a live action performance to move as fast as animated storytelling. But I'm no artist or filmmaker, so I could certainly be wrong.

I'm just wondering how they'll retell "The Great Divide" Wink

Please call me Darkrose - since I can't change my username
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am »

The Great Divide wasn’t a horrible episode and they could have made it more relevant if we saw those characters again. They were going to Ba Sing Se, so we could have seen them again maybe as background characters to be an “Easter egg” of sorts.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #108 on: Sep 25, 2018 05:42 pm »

Eh, I think lack of relevance is the least of The Great Divide's problems. It's all just a bit simplified and silly, in service of making a point that is childish for Avatar- and already handled in a much more mature and relevant way with the racism of the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom. Although I still think the gag at the end mostly saves it, but that only works because it's an unrepentant subversion of how these Kiddie Cartoons With Lessons usually work, and that's going to be lost if the thing no longer looks like a Kiddie Cartoon With Lessons.

For live action, they'd instead need to parody the Tweenie Sitcom With Lessons genre. Or maybe just Power Rangers.

But I can think of a million more interesting things to do with an episode.

RoseWild
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #109 on: Sep 25, 2018 09:39 pm »

Eh, I think lack of relevance is the least of The Great Divide's problems. It's all just a bit simplified and silly, in service of making a point that is childish for Avatar- and already handled in a much more mature and relevant way with the racism of the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom. Although I still think the gag at the end mostly saves it, but that only works because it's an unrepentant subversion of how these Kiddie Cartoons With Lessons usually work, and that's going to be lost if the thing no longer looks like a Kiddie Cartoon With Lessons.

For live action, they'd instead need to parody the Tweenie Sitcom With Lessons genre. Or maybe just Power Rangers.

But I can think of a million more interesting things to do with an episode.

Yes I imagine they'll probably skip it, ala their own lampshading of the ep.

Please call me Darkrose - since I can't change my username
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #110 on: Sep 26, 2018 04:08 am »

The Great Divide somewhat flanderized all the characters in a way in my opinion, not too much and not in an unforgivable way but still. Sokka's and Katara's traits were too simplified and exagarated.

They might go the other way and dedicate an entire one hour episode to it and focus it primarily on the geological history of the canyon.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Keekay
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

It's pronounced "Kee-kay".

« Reply #111 on: Sep 26, 2018 05:52 pm »

Even the Puppetbenders channel revived with the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AUd40tohfw

These have been the best couple of weeks ever. (Also, there's a great gag in the video for all of the Zutara heathens out there)
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018 06:10 pm by Keekay » Logged

Made by the ridiculously awesome Peachi Grin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #112 on: Oct 01, 2018 10:12 am »

Wow. I'm back. After ten years. Because of this news. Didn't even sign in for Korra, although I did lurk here and there back then. It's so funny to be able to recognize some users after so long.

Although I do prefer animation, I'm so excited for the live-action series! I guess I'm just super easy to please with a culturally appropriate non-whitewashed cast, Bryke leading this and music from the Track Team. I do hope it's a series where we'll delve deeper into the Avatar world or the characters, with Bryke incorporating some of their untold stories and ideas.

What I'd really want to see more: Iroh's spirituality, origin of Order of the White Lotus or Iroh's connection to it, more explicit foreshadowing of the lion turtle and a little of Wan, the first Avatar, weaved in. I'm guessing there's a slim chance we'll get that... so, I'm also satisfied if this is just the catalyst for a new Avatar series.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #113 on: Oct 07, 2018 04:04 pm »

You know, thinking about the Lionturtle, do we want the same ending over again, or maybe mix it up a little? After all, this is an adaptation. They can change stuff to fit the new version of the story.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #114 on: Oct 07, 2018 08:50 pm »

You know, thinking about the Lionturtle, do we want the same ending over again, or maybe mix it up a little? After all, this is an adaptation. They can change stuff to fit the new version of the story.

The Lion Turtle is fundamental to Aang's journey, and the only thing that allows him stick with his pacifism in the climax. I would rather see other fundamental changes like changing some of the genders of the male characters, or pulling from wider cultural sources. Maybe some bending based on martial arts beyond China?
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018 08:56 pm by Uzuko » Logged
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #115 on: Oct 08, 2018 03:49 am »

the lion turtle was fine. maybe hint at it some earlier on (have the same weirdly round island lurk in the background several times to the point the audience thinks it's a cheap prop, only for Sokka to notice it too but only have Toph to talk to and she agrees, but then points out she's blind), as to not dump it in last moment.

the Magic Pointy Rock of Convenience could be handled differently though
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018 03:50 am by Yougo » Logged

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #116 on: Oct 08, 2018 05:47 pm »

But we all know the Lionturtle is coming, now. They don't even have to hint at it early on, they can literally start the pilot with Aang having a vision of the ending of the show that explains everything about the ending.

Maybe Aang should die in the end, this time.

Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #117 on: Oct 20, 2018 03:37 pm »

I first heard about this a couple weeks back, and I wasn't too excited. But I'm currently rewatching the show and am in the middle of Book Earth AKA, the best of the best, so I'm face to face with all kinds of nostalgia.

I see a lot of people asking "why" in here... why do we need a new version? Well, I read a simple explanation for this in a screenwriting book (Save the Cat!): original stories are really, really hard to sell. Especially with something like movies. You can't get a huge group of people together to do a huge project that there isn't a market for and hope for the best. I mean, unless a creative person has a lot of money yet somehow doesn't have a history of releasing any of their work to the public. Then they could do whatever they want and could be an overnight success...

Then the other side of it is something I know from being in theatre: adapations aren't really that bad. It's not like the world has a history of no adaptations -- before movies, people would perform established stories. Each director, cast, crew, stage, budget, etc. would change the experience. That helps with the rewatch value, really. And if you're a creator, there are so many unexplored opportunities if you just do one version. I've been in a play where certain actors switched roles so they could have two entirely different interpretations of the same characters depending on the night of the week.

Doesn't mean I always have to like it, of course, but I've learned to be a bit more open to adaptions over the years. Avatar was really popular, but animated cartoons are still a relatively small market in the the US, and I'm not surprised that they want to rework the story and reach more people (while hopefully not alienating the original audience).

Looking back I probably would be happier if they had quit while they were ahead and left everything alone after the original series, but since they already have I can't complain about more. I hope they take the opportunity to make the whole story flow together more, as the first season especially bounced between a story focus and a more traditional episodic TV show. They know the overall vision and have a rich cast to explore, so they could tie things in more from beginning to end. ATLA had some plan-as-you-go aspects that prevented that.

Even though a couple tweets and a picture are enough to get people rioting, it's hard to say anything substantial on so little information. I'm in the wait and see camp.

ArtFicsGraphics
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #118 on: Oct 20, 2018 04:19 pm »

But we all know the Lionturtle is coming, now. They don't even have to hint at it early on, they can literally start the pilot with Aang having a vision of the ending of the show that explains everything about the ending.

I am not completely on board with Aang dying, but definitely would be fine with them killing off some members of the Order of the White Lotus. That’s one of the follies of both series in that protagonists are heavily protected. There would be more weight if we actually saw some of the good guys die. I feel like Ozai should be a little more prominent, give him scenes that he didn’t have before. Like maybe him interacting with Iroh. That was definitely a shame in the franchise that we never saw the two of them so much as speak to one another.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #119 on: Oct 20, 2018 09:56 pm »

I am not completely on board with Aang dying, but definitely would be fine with them killing off some members of the Order of the White Lotus. That’s one of the follies of both series in that protagonists are heavily protected. There would be more weight if we actually saw some of the good guys die. I feel like Ozai should be a little more prominent, give him scenes that he didn’t have before. Like maybe him interacting with Iroh. That was definitely a shame in the franchise that we never saw the two of them so much as speak to one another.

If LOK's any indication, interactions between Iroh and Ozai would be painful to watch play out and not in a good way. :/  But they do need to make Ozai more interesting.  Or, at the very least, make him a fun villain.

If they aren't going to do anything substantial with the OWL, then they shouldn't even bother with it, tbh.  It's one thing to bring them up as a sort of network that gets Iroh and Zuko into Ba Sing Se.  But to give Sokka a tile and do nothing with that was lame.  If they aren't going to follow up on things like that, then don't even bother. :/  The same goes for throwing things like Iroh's trip into the Spirit World out there with no follow-through.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #120 on: Oct 24, 2018 05:41 pm »

I'm still not clear why any follow-through is needed on the hints from Iroh's past. It's his backstory. It explains how he became the person we see in the series coming from the evil Royal Fire Family. Getting a prequel movie about it could be fun, yeah, or it could be Solo: A Star Wars Cash-In all over again.

I think we should do Sokkla in the new series. And in the end, Azula is the Lionturtle! And then everyone dies.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #121 on: Oct 26, 2018 07:50 pm »

Or you could just tell a different story from his past. So instead of the siege of Ba Sing Se or his journey to the Spirit world, or even his encounter with Ran and Shaw,  talk about his first big break in the Hundred Year War. That's a potentially exciting and moving tale. I think I even read a story like that once around here. Forgot what it was called though.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #122 on: Dec 01, 2018 04:17 pm »

I would want a new ending. And by new, I don't mean, so radically new and different that the story is mauled. I mean a new ending that stays true to the story.

I also would expect that they work on fine-tuning the dynamics of the Fire Nation royal family. If they did, Ozai would be that much more of an entertaining (if not, well-developed and multi-layered) villain.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
FireNation OrthodoxKnight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Roki Vulovic is the avatar

« Reply #123 on: Dec 02, 2018 06:12 pm »

"I also would expect that they work on fine-tuning the dynamics of the Fire Nation royal family. If they did, Ozai would be that much more of an entertaining (if not, well-developed and multi-layered) villain."

Yes, it would be much better that we can see the dynamics of the royal family more so than before. I would really like and hope that they focus more onto Azula's character, showing how she got stronger, more intelligent, and how she related with others at the palace with her friends, and family. Even showing some of Azula's weakness as a character would be superior, because then we can see why, who, and what she truly is. Another thing i would like to see would be how this all relates back to Zuko, and also why didn't Zuko and Azula worry about the gang, though they believed, expect Zuko,; that Aang was dead.

Greek, Russian, English, Serbian
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #124 on: Dec 03, 2018 06:43 pm »

I mean, what we really want is a GoT-style Fire Nation show, right? But with a little less nudity and a little more violence.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: