Nov 18, 2018 12:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reimagined Live-Action ATLA Coming to Netflix (with Original Creators)  (Read 4655 times)
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« on: Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am »

HOLY WHAT.

A reimagined, live-action “Avatar: The Last Airbender” series is coming to Netflix from the original creators, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko!!!

(concept art by John Staub)
Sources: https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1042073279895224332 | https://www.facebook.com/netflixus/photos/a.88877538869/10155824080308870/?type=3&theater

Joint statement from Mike and Bryan:
“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”
Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229

Separate comment from Michael Dante DiMartino:
Yes, this is really happening! I'm excited to be writing again with Bryan as we bring Aang's story into live-action, the way we had always envisioned it.

I don't even know where to begin and I don't even know what to think. This is huge.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018 11:38 am by Ooze33 » Logged

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks, and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am »

I didn't think I would be excited about another live-action adaptation but the release from Bryke just has me giddy!

3DS FC: 2836-0221-8587
PM me if you add me
Keekay
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

It's pronounced "Kee-kay".

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am »

Okay okay okay, breathe in, breathe out. I'm having a hard time not exploding with glee right now. Let the speculation begin!

So, this is gonna be like a 10-12 episode affair, isn't it? That's seems to be Netflix's usual M.O. Twelve half-hour episodes maybe? I think that's enough to fit all of Book 1 without losing coherence, if they're smart about what to cut out/save for later seasons.

You could compress the first two episodes into one (have Aang fight Zuko and go into the Avatar State in the South Pole instead of the boat), do the Southern Air Temple mostly as is, but have Aang talk to Roku about Sozin's Comet there there, save Kyoshi, Suki and Omashu for when they become relevant in Season 2, skip Hei Bai, the pirates and the scroll, Jet and the Great Divide (maybe keep Jet), do The Storm and the Blue Bandit pretty much as they were in the show, skip Bato, the fortuneteller and Yeong Yeong, maybe the keep the Northern Air Temple to set up the airships, and go straight to the North Pole.

That should fit in a Netflix-sized season of TV.

Made by the ridiculously awesome Peachi Grin
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2018 12:35 pm »

This is the greatest news I have heard in a long while. Netflix has been killing it so far with some of their series, I just hope my expectations aren’t too high.
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm »

I don't see the point of rebooting a series as good as Avatar, but Netflix generally does well with its general audience properties so it should be interesting at least.

I'm a bit surprised Viacom is letting Netflix have the rights to this series when everyone is trying to develop their own digital platforms though.
Nelson64
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm »

Okay okay okay, breathe in, breathe out. I'm having a hard time not exploding with glee right now. Let the speculation begin!

So, this is gonna be like a 10-12 episode affair, isn't it? That's seems to be Netflix's usual M.O. Twelve half-hour episodes maybe? I think that's enough to fit all of Book 1 without losing coherence, if they're smart about what to cut out/save for later seasons.

You could compress the first two episodes into one (have Aang fight Zuko and go into the Avatar State in the South Pole instead of the boat), do the Southern Air Temple mostly as is, but have Aang talk to Roku about Sozin's Comet there there, save Kyoshi, Suki and Omashu for when they become relevant in Season 2, skip Hei Bai, the pirates and the scroll, Jet and the Great Divide (maybe keep Jet), do The Storm and the Blue Bandit pretty much as they were in the show, skip Bato, the fortuneteller and Yeong Yeong, maybe the keep the Northern Air Temple to set up the airships, and go straight to the North Pole.

That should fit in a Netflix-sized season of TV.

I assumed they would just do 10 1-hour episodes. In the blurb they did say they wanted to expand a bit. I don't think they'll have a 30-minute format. This is going to be like Game of Thrones for Kids/Teens/Young Adults.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm »

I have fond memories of the The Last Airbender Movie threads (especially "Scenes that made me laugh"), so I'm looking forward for this one too! Hope it does better than TLA.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2018 01:17 pm »

Jeremy Zuckerman confirms that, while not official yet, he's working on the music for the show:
GUESS WHAT

As it’s in early development, there’s nothing official yet but yes, I’ll be doing the music.

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks, and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2018 01:40 pm »

Jeremy Zuckerman confirms that, while not official yet, he's working on the music for the show:
GUESS WHAT

As it’s in early development, there’s nothing official yet but yes, I’ll be doing the music.

That's the best news yet! And fuels the fire of my new theory: the live-action show is just the start to expanding the franchise on Netflix. With the addition of this show come 2019 or 2020, both ATLA and LOK will likely be streamed on Netflix; with Zuckerman scoring the new show, they may start finally producing those ATLA and LOK soundtracks we've asked for, given Zuckerman himself posed a similar question - or even hinted at this - a little while back; and maybe this even means, with Nick's blessing, they'll continue on with the franchise, creating an Earthbending Avatar or even additional movies or shows in the extended universe.

My friend speculates the live-action is a no-risk way to test the waters of Netflix viewership and whether it'll be higher than on Nick (undoubtedly yes).

So while I have mixed feelings of adapting it for live action, if it takes a LA show to produce more Avatar content, so be it! Looking forward to continuing to support the series.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018 01:43 pm by noblebender » Logged

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2018 01:45 pm »

I fail to see any point whatsoever in doing this. The animated series is just fine as it is and did what it wanted to do, and the live-action medium would just suck out what made the original series likable. Between this and The Dragon Prince, this just feels like a bunch of guys clinging to their bygone glory days. And no, the fact that the live-action series has the same "geniuses" behind Legend of Korra backing it doesn't make me any more hopeful.

noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2018 01:51 pm »

I fail to see any point whatsoever in doing this. The animated series is just fine as it is and did what it wanted to do, and the live-action medium would just suck out what made the original series likable. Between this and The Dragon Prince, this just feels like a bunch of guys clinging to their bygone glory days. And no, the fact that the live-action series has the same "geniuses" behind Legend of Korra backing it doesn't make me any more hopeful.

That's why I'm thinking this could just be the start of getting Netflix and its billions behind the franchise for more content! It's a low-risk way to test it out and garner instant support (and acclimating a new generation of viewers) before launching totally new content.

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2018 01:59 pm »

I am so giddy I am shaking.  I have already mapped out the dozens of ways this could succeed or fail and I am here for the wank.  Like, they are going to change a character's interpretation or remove something fans thought was "so crucial" and people are going to flip out.  Given how much influence Ehasz had over how characters were developed, I am so curious to see how Mike and Bryan rework some of them.  Azula?  Oh boy!  Zuko's retold redemption?  Better not screw that up, eh?

Oh, hey!  Wouldn't it be funny if they had a love triangle like they did in literally the first half of season 1 of Korra?  Oh, that would be so awful.  I'm actually cackling.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018 02:01 pm by plushu » Logged

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2018 02:52 pm »

I know he isn’t overweight or really looks that much like Iroh, but I would definitely love it if they got Chow Yun Fat to play him. The other two that I would have loved in the role have sadly passed away.
Keekay
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

It's pronounced "Kee-kay".

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2018 03:04 pm »

It just occurred to me... Sammo Hung for Iroh.

Made by the ridiculously awesome Peachi Grin
DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2018 03:24 pm »

Seeing how they're deliberately going "culturally appropriate" for this one, they'll likely wind up with a bunch of little-to-no-names making up the cast. I mean, how many Inuit actors can anyone name off the top of their head? Keep in mind that the original show had white actors playing most of the parts as well.

Between the dearth of marquee names to get butts into seats and the theatrical live-action iteration royally blowing it, a Netflix release looks that much more sensible.

Discreet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Delightfully Devious

« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2018 04:02 pm »

Seeing how they're deliberately going "culturally appropriate" for this one, they'll likely wind up with a bunch of little-to-no-names making up the cast. I mean, how many Inuit actors can anyone name off the top of their head? Keep in mind that the original show had white actors playing most of the parts as well.
Culturally appropriate doesn't mean casting only within specific nationalities, but within a general racial group. They're not going to put out ads for "Inuit Actors" to play Sokka, but "Native American, Asian and South-East Asian Actors". It's ridiculous to even bring up, because nobody gives Chadwick Boseman from Black Panther any flack for being born and raised in America and not Africa or for Tom Holland, a British kid playing someone from Queens, New York. Actors don't have to be a perfect genetic fit, the point is that they actually look the part.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2018 04:05 pm »

I do hope that they don’t bring modern sociopolitics into this show, I don’t think it will add anything of value and it’s fairly unwarranted. Not everything has to be about today’s world. I also hope that they don’t shy away from death or injuries too much in this series. Weapons and bending should hurt or kill people. I am not asking for Game of Thrones level gore, but somewhere beyond Power Rangers level at the very least.
LittleBigPerson
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

One does not simply deny Sackboy's adorable smile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2018 04:06 pm »

Honestly, I'm shocked this site hasn't blown up with this announcement.  Shocked

This is huge!  We have a big live-action Netflix series adaptation coming, with Bryke completely on board as showrunners.

All this, plus the confirmation of the more culturally and racially sensitive casting being done means this has a lot more going for it than M. Night's ever did.

I seriously can't wait for this.  I know it's best to temper expectations, but I can't help but get excited!

Keeper of Tenzin's glorious beard, Korra's "Woo Hoo!", and Aang's "Everything is Connected."  Toph13139 and I are twins, even our hugs are fueled by twin power. Grin
airbendingadam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2018 04:26 pm »

I posted this somewhere else but thought you guys would like to read it. I have extensively followed Bryke in all their interviews, and I just think if people heard them speak they would be much more confident in this endeavor. They hate the M. Night. Shamalyan movie just as much, if not more, than us. Avatar brought the world together in 2005 with its innovative, culturally rich world. I truly believe they can do that again, and restore people's confidence in the concept of cultural diversity, a concept which has unfortunately been tainted by corporate fools who think they can make bigger bucks by "rocking the boat" and casting minority actors in inappropriate roles. The creators of Avatar are fundamentally not like this because they care about storytelling far more than profits. Bryke is an extremely intelligent and socially conscious team so we should trust their judgment.

TL;DR Bryke is smart enough to not come back to this universe unless they had a clear vision of something that will honor what they've dedicated their careers to establishing.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2018 05:57 pm »

So the same people are redoing the same thing, but probably with the filler removed? Meh. I mean, sure, it's possible that Netflix will throw a hundred million dollars at this, and get real Hong Kong action directors to work on it, and we'll at least get some amazing visuals that this franchise always deserved, but otherwise I can't say I find anything exciting here. At least a movie offered an opportunity to capture the feel of the story without repeating the beats, and fantastic visuals. (We didn't get any of that from Nighty's movie, but there was an opportunity before anyone started working on it. Tongue)

Plus, I think it means the franchise is pretty much dead.

("LOL LOOPY BEING LOOPY AGAIN THIS IS EITHER GOING TO BE GREAT OR STUPID," you say.)

I mean, look at what we know is coming down the pipeline. A comic book that's rehashing LoK's Equalist plot for the AtLA cast. A novel about a backstory-character we already know and like, covering her 'early years' but also including every incident we already know about even though nothing about those incidents peg them as being in her early years. Merchandise that uses the existing images and characters. And now a live-action remake of a cartoon that doesn't need to be remade.

Obviously, nothing new is ever coming out of this franchise again. There's not going to be another LoK, a new series with a new cast and protagonist. The books and comics aren't going to explore things we don't already know all about; they're just going to bridge the gap between AtLA and LoK in the most boring way possible and try to convince fans that Korrasami is an actual relationship. We're just going to keep doing the same things over and over again until the fans stop spending money. It's Solo: A Star Wars Cash-In Story, now and for forever.

But at least we might finally get a soundtrack out of this.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018 05:59 pm by Loopy » Logged

BlueberrySpiceHead
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2018 05:59 pm »

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the fan reaction here to be so positive... Now I feel like an old Scrooge...

I just... who asked for this? If it were a new series, I could get behind it a little better, but why does ATLA of all things need a reboot? And a live action one to boot?

I'll check it out if it indeed comes to fruition, but I just can't bring myself to get excited. It's so unnecessary...
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2018 06:03 pm »

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the fan reaction here to be so positive... Now I feel like an old Scrooge...

Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2018 06:21 pm »

I wonder how the fight scenes will be approached. Most fight scenes in the live-action stuff I've watched have the close up, shaky camera thing going on. Maybe I'm watching the wrong stuff, but fight scenes tend to look better in animation.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2018 06:32 pm »

I wonder if Sifu Kisu is coming back as the martial arts consultant and do a little bootcamp for the cast so their forms are correct.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2018 06:39 pm »

The thing that makes me most happy about this announcement is that this site is probably going to be very active again. I've longed for that for a long time and suddenly it happened. Can't believe it.

What a time to be alive Cheesy

I'll try to post as much as I can even if it isn't too much of substance.

Is there any cast pictures yet? I hope Azula is as sexy as she should be.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: