Nov 15, 2018 07:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reimagined Live-Action ATLA Coming to Netflix (with Original Creators)  (Read 4439 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2018 06:48 pm »

I wonder how the fight scenes will be approached. Most fight scenes in the live-action stuff I've watched have the close up, shaky camera thing going on. Maybe I'm watching the wrong stuff, but fight scenes tend to look better in animation.

Well, that's an American technique to get around bad or nonexistent fight choreography. Shake the camera and do lots of quick cuts to hide that a lot less is actually going on than appears. It was used in the Christopher Nolan Batman movies to hide that most of the gunman literally run up to Batman without firing so that he can take them out with his fists. The Bourne movies also used it to avoid having to do good-looking fights.

The 'Hong Kong style,' though, definitely uses fight scenes as visual spectacle, and so is all about showing the audience as much as possible. They also do much longer takes so that the real choreography has a chance to shine.

Is there any cast pictures yet? I hope Azula is as sexy as she should be.

Well, she's probably going to be 14, so...................................................

airbendingadam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2018 06:52 pm »

I'm actually kinda surprised by the amount of negativity in a forum devoted to a fandom from a show that ended a decade ago. I'm relatively new here, but I thought people here would have more faith in the Avatar creators, considering how long you've been dedicated. People keep criticizing this as a reboot, but that feels like the wrong word considering that reboot implies that a new canon is being established, whereas I believe that this will fit into the already established canon. They have stated that "It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building."

Build is the key word here that separates this from a reboot. Sure there will be retelling of the important aspects of the series, but they're saying that they plan to chart new terrain, expose new facets of characters we love. Trust that they want more of this universe as badly as us, I don't think they would come back just to rehash the same thing or mess up the lore. They want to honor the characters they created, and maybe give more justice to those that didn't have enough time to be developed. Who knows, maybe we'll learn more about Iroh's transition from Dragon of the West to the character we know and love.

Bryke left LoK saying they needed to recharge, and explore new creative outlets (which they've both done in the form of graphic novels and books). Now that they're coming back, I find it hard to believe that they just want to relive the same creative journey. They may even want to go beyond the first season and segway into a quasi-fourth season. This could just be the beginning of a new journey in the Avatar universe. Wait and see, and since you've stuck with this community and show for so long, be a bit more on the optimistic side (absolute pessimism seems unwarranted at this early a stage).

A Zaheer/Guru Laghima quote seems appropriate here "when you base your expectations only on what you see, you blind yourself to the possibilities of a new reality."

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:00 pm »

"I don't know. The monks used to say that hope is just a distraction. So maybe we do need to abandon it."

Wink

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:10 pm »

Well, after being a sarcastic cynic who mainly jokes in irony most of my life I do dare to unironically hope and take joy in things for the sheer diversity of it. Thus, I'll put my hopes into this, whatever the outcome.

Maybe the show will be so successful that there will finally be a Lego video game adaptation. That would be sweet.

Any words on whether they plan on adapting LoK yet?

It would be a great idea to explore the known characters in different ways. Maybe through flashbacks or maybe through new plot events.

I'd love to see more of the backstory of Iroh, Zhao and Jeong Jeong just to name a few.

Also, can someone explain why so many seem to hate Bato of the Water Tribe? That was the very first episode I ever watched and it hooked me instantly.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:14 pm »

I've heard that people don't like how Katara and Sokka so quickly ditched Aang, but IMO it was in-character as an impulsive move and it rightly showed them quickly regretting it. I really liked the episode.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:27 pm »

I think the negativity stems from what we have gotten post A:TLA. From the movie to LoK to the comics and video games neither of them have really come to par in comparison. It isn’t really nostalgia as A:TLA had issues as well. So seeing them tell the same story we have already seen and not giving anything new other than showcasing a different medium, it may make some view it negatively. I am excited, but apprehensive. I feel like modern politics keeps slipping in more and I don’t think it is for the better.
airbendingadam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:30 pm »

"I don't know. The monks used to say that hope is just a distraction. So maybe we do need to abandon it."

Wink

You choosing to quote Aang in one of his greatest moments of weakness and despair (he's dealing with the loss of Appa), a moment that does not truly represent his ideals, makes me question whether you actually appreciate the show. Aang is an optimistic and hopeful character, therefore I question why you would actively remember/search for this quote. I'll leave you with an Iroh quote, you choosing this quote represents the latter situation "If you look for the light, you can often find it, but if you look for the dark that is all you will ever see.”

P.S. I don't mean this in an aggressive way, I'm just encouraging you to not misrepresent the show and characters, and not try so actively to be pessimistic (at least exhibit neutral jing and wait and listen for more information)
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:33 pm »

Nobody can fully escape their time. As much as I'm apprehensive of the far left it is in my firm opinion generally better to respect the ethnicity of the characters as expressed in the original work. Women and minorities do need more representation. You don't have to trash all that is white and male though.

Like I said adaptation gives the opportunity to do things differently and even a little can be a lot.

As for my earlier comment about Azula, it was spoken unthinkingly. I will not make such comments again, especially if the actress turns out to be underage herself.

As for Bato, it was definitely Iroh who sealed the deal for me. He was just awesomely funny in that one.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Immallama
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2018 07:54 pm »

Man this news blindsided the hell out of me. I'm certainly willing to give it a shot. I'm very skeptical it will be good, but Bryke and Jeremy Zuckerman being involved is slightly encouraging.

This is bigger than just a live action tv show though. To me this means Nick and Netflix are testing the waters for more animated Avatar content in the future. I've seen so much buzz about ATLA on social media lately and I have no doubt this is a response to that. It's probably not as expensive as animation and significantly less of a time sink to both Mike and Bryan (specifically Bryan who is still working on graphic novels in addition). I think when it's all said and done, if the show becomes successful, the idea of a third series will suddenly be a *lot* more likely.

DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2018 08:35 pm »

Is there any cast pictures yet? I hope Azula is as sexy as she should be.

Well, she's probably going to be 14, so...................................................

Like that stopped anyone the first time Tongue

unicornpowah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2018 08:37 pm »

I'm cautiously optimistic. I haven't heard that Ehasz will be working on it and it concerns me with what will happen with this live action version's interpretation of the Fire Nation. IIRC Aaron Ehasz was the one responsible for more of the sympathetic portrayals of the Fire Nation (he was apparently the one who contributed the most to Zuko and Iroh's character arcs).

I just don't have a lot of faith that Bryke might do the Fire Nation justice after seeing how little attention it got in LOK and the subsequent comic while also making everyone's parents die by rando firebender. Maybe I am looking too much into it but I get the idea that they always had some kind of bias against the Fire Nation. I don't even want to get into what the hell was with the royal family in the comics though I don't know how much of that is contributed to Bryke or Gene Yang...

On the flip side, I'm still interested in checking it out. Writers tend to look back on older works and wish that some parts would be revised, so it could be interesting what changes would be made besides just taking out some filler. Though, whether those revisions will be good or bad is up in the air...
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2018 09:06 pm »

Joint statement from Mike and Bryan:
“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”
Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229

I wonder how they are supposed to expand on the characters, story, action, and world building when the first season of the live action series will be half the length of the first season of the animated series.

I really hope they are not afraid to make some changes like changing the characters ages and genders. That would at least be something different.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2018 09:22 pm »

Ehasz is now busy with 'The Dragon Prince', so I don't think he'll be directly involved.

I have.... mixed feelings about this? On one hand, I'm glad that if someone's trying to tackle another live-action adaptation, the original creators are at least involved. And this could be a good opportunity for a lot of actors who don't often get these kinds of opportunities.

On the other hand... I've not been a fan of Bryke's recent Avatar-verse work, and I'm worried they'll end up carrying some of those problems over to a remake.

My assumption is that the show will still be three seasons long, so the actors don't get too old. A lot of Netflix shows are pretty flexible with the runtime, so it wouldn't surprise me if the episodes get long. (Hypothetically the season could amount to more minutes than the original, despite being split over less episodes.)

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2018 10:02 pm »

You choosing to quote Aang in one of his greatest moments of weakness and despair (he's dealing with the loss of Appa), a moment that does not truly represent his ideals, makes me question whether you actually appreciate the show. Aang is an optimistic and hopeful character, therefore I question why you would actively remember/search for this quote. I'll leave you with an Iroh quote, you choosing this quote represents the latter situation "If you look for the light, you can often find it, but if you look for the dark that is all you will ever see.”

P.S. I don't mean this in an aggressive way, I'm just encouraging you to not misrepresent the show and characters, and not try so actively to be pessimistic (at least exhibit neutral jing and wait and listen for more information)

Well, first of all, you seemed to miss the smiley at the end. I'm told the one with its tongue sticking out indicates a lack of seriousness. Tongue

Second, let's just say that as far as my being a fan of the Avatar franchise, I'm in my 'Appa is missing and if let myself feel again then I know I'll start crying' phase.

My assumption is that the show will still be three seasons long, so the actors don't get too old. A lot of Netflix shows are pretty flexible with the runtime, so it wouldn't surprise me if the episodes get long. (Hypothetically the season could amount to more minutes than the original, despite being split over less episodes.)

We might see the return of the only benign change made for M Nighty's adaptation: the one-year timescale changed to a three-year-deadline so that the actors are allowed to age.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2018 10:09 pm »

If they cast the characters with region specific races (eg. getting First Nations actors for Water Tribe, Chinese actors for Ba Sing Se) I wonder if the Book 3 disguise story will still work, or if they'll tweak that to accommodate the fact that Katara, Sokka etc. would potentially stick out in the Fire Nation.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm »

If they cast the characters with region specific races (eg. getting First Nations actors for Water Tribe, Chinese actors for Ba Sing Se) I wonder if the Book 3 disguise story will still work, or if they'll tweak that to accommodate the fact that Katara, Sokka etc. would potentially stick out in the Fire Nation.
The Fire Nation and to a much greater extent the Earth Kingdom definitely boasted many people that look quite different, despite being of the same nation. The Water Tribes and Air Nomads looked to be far more homogenous. So I don’t think the casting will be too difficult per say.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2018 10:37 pm »

Yeah, and the gAang pretended to be colonists, anyway. I suspect that colonists would be expected to be of mixed descent.

Discreet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Delightfully Devious

« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2018 10:38 pm »

More specifically, there was Piandao who looks much more like Sokka than he does Ozai.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2018 12:22 am »

Looking back at Bryan’s recent tumblr posts before the announcement, we should have suspected something was up when he kept posting new art of the old series.

I wonder if they will still use Chinese texts in the series and a small part of me wants the Chinese names pronounced in the authentic way instead of the Westernized way. Hearing “Pee-and Dao” for Piandao’s name has never sat well with me. And hearing Tui pronounced as “Twee” is also a bit grating for me.

But I’m probably just nitpicking. I don’t know if they would consider authentic pronunciations as being “culturally appropriate”. *shrug*

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2018 12:37 am »

Considering how people were upset with the “correct” pronunciations in the last live action adaptation I don’t think they are going to change them.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #45 on: Sep 19, 2018 02:24 am »

Considering how people were upset with the “correct” pronunciations in the last live action adaptation I don’t think they are going to change them.
Lmao those weren't "correct" at all but then again, the names that were changed weren't Chinese sounding with the exception of Iroh's... "I" is indeed pronounced as "E" or "Yi" in Chinese.

But seriously, it's well known that the ATLA world has Asian influences. If you bother to do the Chinese text right by consulting a Prof, you could also attempt to make the pronunciations authentic too. It's not too difficult with a dialect coach. There's not a lot of Chinese sounding names in ATLA but the ones that stand out like Tui, Piandao, Ruon Jian, Ba Sing Se should sound authentic.

Yeah, I'm one of the minorities with an opinion about the whole pronunciation thing, but they could at least try.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018 02:29 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know what time it is~

« Reply #46 on: Sep 19, 2018 02:30 am »

I'm... not excited for this.

Although it's great that they wanna stay true to the cartoon and do appropriate racial casting and all that, Bryke lost all my respect from TLoK Undecided

Also? Literally what is the point of this. Why do we need this. Just... why.

Right now, I'm looking forward to the music, and that's it. I'm so done with remakes and reboots. Why can't people be original anymore... -___-

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Sep 19, 2018 03:49 am »

This affected me very much. I had a dream this night that Ehasz was announced as (story) editor (not writer) among others. What a strange precautious mind I have.

BTW: the io9 source doesn't really portray the news in a good way. It's missing that Bryke are the Showrunners and they keep inserting words like "reimagining" and "reboot" while it was only said it would be an adaptation.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-series-netflix-1202467089/

That the Netflix VP of Kids & Family commented about the adaptation, kind of suggests to me that it won't be overly mature material like in LoK and still be targeted at children like ATLA.

PS: ASN is missing this news on the frontpage.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018 03:53 am by 8149 » Logged
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #48 on: Sep 19, 2018 04:25 am »

Yeah, I'm one of the minorities with an opinion about the whole pronunciation thing, but they could at least try.

Well, the entire Chinese characters for writing everywhere did give the show a very interesting and immersive feel. I hear Germans and Englishmen mispronouncing Slavic names all the time so I can understand how irritating it can be, especially when it's continual.

That the Netflix VP of Kids & Family commented about the adaptation, kind of suggests to me that it won't be overly mature material like in LoK and still be targeted at children like ATLA.

Good. The original show successfully and impactfully dealt with mature themes without messing it up. Something I can't say for LoK. They did attempt to make a statement against fascism, communism, anarchism and theocracy but it fell flat or was mishandled.

As for the entire reboot/reimagining thing. I think the very fact of changing the medium will give it all somewhat of a different feel and impression, even if they stick to the original as firmly as possible.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #49 on: Sep 19, 2018 04:51 am »

PS: ASN is missing this news on the frontpage.
I’m in a different time zone and the news of this came out while I was asleep and I only saw this on the way to work this morning. Be patient, it’s not even 24 hours yet. I’ll update it when I’m home.

——————

I wonder what the budget would be. Would the CGI of the elements be impressive? At the moment I’m just cautiously optimistic about everything.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018 04:53 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: