Dec 08, 2019 09:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Novel -The Rise of Kyoshi - June 2019  (Read 7666 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019 03:31 pm »

But kids love it when bad guys bleed! It has little impact since there's no visual, and as long as the character deserves the violence, kids are more than okay with it. They can be viscous little things.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019 01:31 pm »

I guess the book won't be for kids?

I guess so too. The language is pretty tough for it too.

Also...
I desperately hope we don't get 'BATHE IN THEIR BLOOD' Kyoshi. :|

One preview in and if I count it well, Kyoshi brutalized three people already. She will bathe in their blood alright Grin!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019 02:33 pm »

I don't think I've seen anyone point out that Kyoshi seems to have her own Team Avatar.  According to the recent preview we have:

Yun: A boy that everyone, including Kyoshi, thought was the Avatar at the time.

Kelsang: An airbender with a sky-bison named Peng-Peng

Rangi: A fire bender.

Hei-Ran: Rangi's mother and a fire bender.

Jianzhu: An earth bender.

The antagonist is a waterbending Pirate named Tagaka. She and her pirate are part of a "Fifth Nation." Interesting.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019 03:25 pm »

Indeed. I like the idea of having a bunch of smaller nations thrown into the mix. I’ll probably buy this book eventually if the reviews are convincing enough.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019 12:50 am »

I don't think I've seen anyone point out that Kyoshi seems to have her own Team Avatar. 

They seem to be Yun's people with Kyoshi being some kind of "attachment" or new recruit.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019 07:08 pm »

KYOSHI has joined the party.

There are too many members of the party. Visit the TEAM menu to designate primary team members.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Jun 27, 2019 08:17 pm »

So the book came out early in Canada and I bought myself a copy. Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2019 09:26 am by Fire Rose » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #32 on: Jun 28, 2019 03:12 pm »

So the book came out early in Canada and I bought myself a copy. Smiley

Aw... I'm jelly Cheesy. I heard it is pretty good for a YA Avatar story.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Jun 28, 2019 04:15 pm »

^I've read four chapters and so far it's good. I would love to post big spoilers but I'm sure it's not allowed at this point. But I will say even though this is Kyoshi's story, we get learn more about Avatar Kuruk's life as well. You will learn some interesting things about Kuruk in the first few chapters.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #34 on: Jun 28, 2019 06:05 pm »

Barnes & Noble informed me of their exclusive edition: "This limited Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition contains exclusive collectors' art with commentary from the author, including a cover evolution and a map of the Avatar universe."

I'll probably get that one. I have some coupons burning a hole in my pocket.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Jun 28, 2019 09:28 pm »

Barnes and Noble is still in business?

I’ll probably get that edition too. I love maps.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jul 09, 2019 08:21 am »

A sequel has been announced: The Shadow of Kyoshi

It will be out Summer 2020
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2019 07:37 pm »

I'm staking my claim on "The Kyoshi Trilogy" (TKT) as the reference for the series in the future.

I bet in SoK she finds out that Warlord Chin is her father.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2019 09:19 pm »

Now the that book is officially out, I'm going to be posting some interesting fact about Kyoshi.

1. She's the daughter of an Air Nomad woman who went rouge (which is rare for Air Nomads) and Earth Kingdom man.

2. Although she's the Earth Avatar, she was technically born a daofei, the name of the 'fifth nation'

3. She triggered the Avatar State when she was seven.

4. The reason she used steel fans for fighting was because she was terrible at Earthbending (in my opinion her style was that she was raw power but lacked finesse for the basic moves). The fans helped her with that.

5. Her ties to the fifth nation and her unconventional methods on being the Avatar (she worked with bandits at one point) may explain why Roku took a more traditional approach in his duties and why he was adamant about the nations not coming together.

6. They further confirm her bisexuality in the book. Her love interest was a female Firebender.

We also get facts about Kuruk such as:

-He died at 33.

-He was a great Pai Sho player.

-He had a team Avatar but when he died they took a turn for the worse. When the Earth Kingdom fell into chaos they had to resort to doing terrible things in order to keep it safe. One became a well-intentioned extremist (the antagonist of the book), one doesn't talk about it much but her daughter is aware of some of the stories that surround her, and one became remorseful because he was an Air Nomad (Nomads who killed, even if it was necessary, were more or less shunned by their people. Now we know why Aang took a strong stance against killing.)

-His first love was the Firebender from his team. He once wrote a poem to confess his love her despite being married already. Luckily he was talked out of it.

Overall, it was a good read.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2019 09:25 pm by Fire Rose » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2019 06:36 pm »

I'm so glad I didn't read this preview. I'm up to page 102 in the book and just finished this part, and it spoils a rather nice minor twist.

(Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever encountered a book excerpt that properly sold the book, and most of them were worse for being presented out of context. They should just release the first 20 pages of a book, not some random action sequence from the middle, and if an author can't get something interesting or enticing in the first 20 pages, they're a garbage writer anyway.)

Also, so far, F.C. Yee gets it. I might have to check out his other stuff.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2019 06:46 pm »

Tell us about the bonus content. There’s a map I heard. I like maps.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #41 on: Jul 24, 2019 09:19 pm »

The extras are additional pages at the back of the book. I was expecting a color insert, but they're the same paper stock and grayscale imagery as the rest of the book. The map itself is spread across two pages, and is essentially a smaller version of the world map we're all familiar with, with the various locations from the story pointed out. The style of the drawing is meant to evoke the ink'n'brush look of the in-universe writing, so it looks nice. The proportions and locations of the landmass as a bit more shortened'n'stretched than the maps we usually see.

The only other extra is several pieces of concept art for the cover, all drawings of Kyoshi. They're more finished than I usually see for concept sketches and look nice, but I don't think most people would consider them a worthwhile reason to buy this special hardcover if they prefer digital and/or library loans.

I'm happy with it, but I was going to buy the book anyway and the price is the same.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jul 24, 2019 10:21 pm »

Really? That’s disappointing, but at least cost isn’t an issue.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #43 on: Jul 27, 2019 02:07 pm »

I finished the book, and while I want to write a full review when I have the time, I'll post my overall verdict:

Avatar is back, this book can easily stand alongside the original AtLA cartoon, and it gets Kyoshi right.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2019 02:34 pm »

Neat! I’m glad that the last few installments in the Avatar franchise have generally been good. First the Imbalance series, now this.
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Aug 04, 2019 10:38 pm »

This book was really excellent.  I've got one or two SMALL nit picks involving personal opinions about narrative structure, setup and payoff, but all the things this story needed to get right it gets right.  Kyoshi being my favorite of the 'past Avatars' really shines here and lives up to her reputation in ways that are both true to what we've gleaned from the material showcased in other mediums up to this point, but also giving us more than a few surprises that let us know point-blank that what we'd seen up to this point wasn't in any way a complete or proper picture.  (or in other words, that whole 'Kyoshi just allowed Chin to conquer most of the Earth Kingdom out of apathy' perspective is now very improbable and unlikely.  We're talking more neutral Jing now than we ever were 'not my business!' as Kyoshi's journey seems even less like the 'My duty is only to keep balance' type of Avatar and MORE 'Only Justice can bring peace' than ever before)

I'm very happy with Kyoshi's first outing and am looking forward to where we go from here.  It's a wonderful start that rockets her right up there with Aang and the Gang.  

Bring on 'The Shadow of Kyoshi' and I'm calling it here, book 3 will be 'The Legend of Kyoshi'.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2019 03:52 pm by ViridianIV » Logged

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
                  -Lion Turtle dropping the mic
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #46 on: Aug 07, 2019 06:09 pm »

(or in other words, that whole 'Kyoshi just allowed Chin to conquer most of the Earth Kingdom out of apathy' perspective is now very improbable and unlikely.  We're talking more neutral Jing now than we ever were 'not my business!' as Kyoshi's journey seems even less like the 'My duty is only to keep balance' type of Avatar and MORE 'Only Justice can bring peace' than ever before)

I wouldn't be so quick to assign motives at this point to what happens with Chin. Kyoshi still has to deal with the aftermath of the Jianzhu stuff, and there were hints in the story that the way it ended isn't necessarily going to be good for the Earth Kingdom.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Aug 07, 2019 09:40 pm »

I wouldn't be so quick to assign motives at this point to what happens with Chin. Kyoshi still has to deal with the aftermath of the Jianzhu stuff, and there were hints in the story that the way it ended isn't necessarily going to be good for the Earth Kingdom.

The way it pans out I actually feel Kyoshi is going to be a lot like Jianzhu.  She's definitely all for the deft instruction of 'Consequence' which she absolutely learned primarily from him.  Likely the differential factor will be the old Avatar habit of underlying compassion.

If nothing else, it's nice to see an Avatar story that doesn't simply praise pacifism for pacifism's sake.  They did good job of showing Aangs way and how it was beneficial... but I always felt like one of the things holding LoK back was its seeming insistence on punishing Korra continuously for not doing things 'the Aang way'.  Rise of Kyoshi looks to be showing an Avatar willing to do things her own way while not including a narrative contrast based in condemning it.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2019 09:42 pm by ViridianIV » Logged

"In the time before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #48 on: Aug 08, 2019 06:43 pm »

Well, I also think that they come from opposite ends of the Solution Spectrum. Kyoshi, I think, would tend to favor physical solutions, but the whole thing with the Dai Li shows that she eventually learns how to make deals. Jianzhu seemed to prefer making deals and winning influence, but when that won't work he'll get ruthless with the violence.

But we'll see. I was getting a little worried when the book started addressing it, but I think it wound up handling things with some nice nuance. I look forward to seeing Kyoshi develop further on that front.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Aug 08, 2019 09:49 pm »

Well, I also think that they come from opposite ends of the Solution Spectrum. Kyoshi, I think, would tend to favor physical solutions, but the whole thing with the Dai Li shows that she eventually learns how to make deals. Jianzhu seemed to prefer making deals and winning influence, but when that won't work he'll get ruthless with the violence.

But we'll see. I was getting a little worried when the book started addressing it, but I think it wound up handling things with some nice nuance. I look forward to seeing Kyoshi develop further on that front.

Right, well outside of the whole vengeance quest, Kyoshi didn't seem unwilling to compromise to much throughout the novel... and it's a very interesting bit of theming that the 'final battle' involved her working to keep a bunch of random people alive more than her interest in fulfilling her 'quest.'  Then the plot device had to turn up and waggle its ugly head and vaguely anti-climax the whole thing... They should have just saved that bit for the sequel... but really its a pretty light mark against whats otherwise a strong and heartfelt effort.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: