May 25, 2018 05:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Avatar Tales anthology book on September 5 2018  (Read 932 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Feb 26, 2018 08:18 pm »

Entertainment Weekly announced the new ATLA comic "Imbalance" which can be discussed in this thread as well as the "Team Avatar Tales" anthology book set to be released on September 5 2018.

Here's a description of the anthology book:
Avatar: The Last Airbender – Team Avatar Tales is a one-shot anthology comic, featuring stories from multiple creators. Some are collected from previous Free Comic Book Day publications, while others are brand-new. In classic Avatar style, the comic is set to include both adventurous stories (such as saving a pumpkin farmer from monsters) and serious reflection on deep issues, like what it means to save the world. In addition to Yang and Hicks, other featured creators will include Carla Speed McNeil (Finder), Ron Koertge (Vampire Planet), Dave Scheidt (Dreamworks Trolls, Wrapped Up), and Sara Goetter (Dungeon Critters, Boozle).

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2018 09:49 pm »

Well, it's good that over two years after Kei Lo's first appearance, the people who missed the Rebound one-shot will finally be able to read his first appearance. Cheesy

I'm not familiar with any of the new creators listed, so I don't have any predictions about the quality, but I'm just thrilled that we're opening the franchise up to so many more creative voices. After years of nothing but Gene Yang's writing, we're getting a sampling of different takes that's sure to offer up at least a few gems.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2018 12:30 am »

I'm looking forward for this and I'm happy that Avatar is back on the menu with two comic books, but I'm kinda disappointed that Suki is missing. Not unexpected, but still disappointing. She is supposedly part of Team Avatar, after all  Sad.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2018 08:17 pm »

Suki's not on the cover, but I think it's possible (even likely) that she could appear in some of the stories. They're, understandably, using the main iconic gAang to sell the book.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm »

I like the use of the flat color choice on the cover design save to Aang's eyes. He looks soulless.
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2018 07:42 pm »

^Maybe he asked Sokka for a drink. Grin

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
chicken_sokka
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire. Wang Fire.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2018 03:49 am »

Suki's not on the cover, but I think it's possible (even likely) that she could appear in some of the stories. They're, understandably, using the main iconic gAang to sell the book.

Pretty much guaranteed. I'd be very surprised if Shells didn't make it into this.

Keeper of Sokka's Memorial Statue, Beard, and Gavel!
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2018 07:40 pm »

I am hoping one of the original stories is Zuko teaching Kiya and all the shenanigans that ensue.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2018 12:34 pm »

Looks like we have a little preview for Team Avatar Tales:
https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-avatar-the-last-airbender-team-avatar-tales/
We have a little more info on what is going into the comic, both new stories and old. It’s confirmed that Rebound, Shells and Sisters will be in it.
We also have a couple of pages, looks like the pirates are involved to some degree.

I hope there will be more anthology comics in the future; they might make good places for somewhat different stories. Since I have a couple of Indiana Jones comic collections I have wondered if it could be interesting to have comic adaptions of some of the video games like Indy did with The Fate of Atlantis.
Admittedly most Avatar games are too close to the series to be relevant for adaption, but there are two or three that could be interesting.
It could be interesting to see an adaption to canon of the very first console game, the one with Lian, the Maker. The biggest thing you would have to do to the story to bring it closer to canon would be removing Zuko’s gratuitous cameos.
Another relevant game would be the Legend of Korra game with Hundun. The story in the game itself is so sparse that you could write it down on a napkin and have space left over, so an expansion in the form of a comic could be nice.
The last game that could be relevant would be the old Escape from the Spirit World web game. It’s always interesting to learn more about the past avatars.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2018 05:36 pm »

I tend to like Gene Yang's short Avatar stories, and it looks like this will be another good one. I also like his visual storytelling, so we're getting him as his best, here. I like his moments for serious!Sokka in his comics, but his attempts at funny!Sokka tended to be painful, so hopefully the rest of this story will hit the same tone as these preview pages.

I still think it's so weird that Rebound was never collected with Smoke & Shadow in some form. I wonder how many people only know Kei Lo from S&S, and if that affected the reaction to the trilogy. But then, I expect that a lot of people probably just read scans on Tumblr.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: