Jul 17, 2018 04:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLA Complete Series on Blu-ray - 5/1/18  (Read 1767 times)
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« on: Feb 16, 2018 09:02 pm »

Looks like it's finally happening!

This listing popped up recently on Best Buy's website. I've tweeted @NickelodeonDVD to see if I can get an official confirmation, but it looks like ATLA is getting a complete series Blu-ray release on May 1st, 2018! I would assume it's from the recent HD upconversions that were digitally released. I'll update this post with more info as I can get it.

EDIT: Confirmed! US Best Buy exclusive May 1st, wide release June 5th. International release unknown so far.

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2018 10:43 am by Ooze33 » Logged

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks, and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018 07:11 pm »

Digimon Emperor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

F.ace E.verything A.nd R.ise

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018 08:33 pm »

I had just seen it on tvshowsondvd.com about it showing it up like on Best Buy.  Although I grabbed the complete series on DVD last year and I really don't get anything unless it happened to be like a Blu Ray/DVD combo if it's the only way I can obtain it.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2018 01:16 pm »

Yay!  Finally!

Complete series soundtrack next plz and thk u
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2018 07:02 pm »

Complete series soundtrack next plz and thk u

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018 07:03 pm »

The Track Team are no longer together so I'm not sure if it's still possible? I don't know how the rights to music works.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018 07:31 pm »

From what I've read, Nick owns the rights to the music, and the files/data used to create it was sitting on Nick computers when it was last seen.

However, something similar happened with Vince Dicola's score to Transformers: The Movie, and the Botcon convention commissioned him to recreate it for a new release, a 'relatively' simple matter since it was all synthesized. (He also had the help of a synth-programmer, and I don't know if that person was involved in the original production.) I don't know if it would be as easy for Jeremy Zuckerman to do that, but perhaps with Nick's backing he and some tech support could put something together.

Digimon Emperor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018 09:19 am »

Looking like the Blu Ray complete series has been confirmed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/23/avatar-the-last-airbender-complete-series-coming-to-blu-ray-this-summer

Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am »

Hopefully they'll go into more detail about the Bonus Features soon. I would assume everything will stay standard definition, but it would be nice if the super deformed shorts and the pilot episode were offered in HD.

Also I hope it isn't a simple copy paste. It would be great if the pilot was offered without commentary along with the Avatar Spirits documentary that was released with the collector's edition of season one.

I Keep: Aunt Wu's headpiece, Lin Beifong's scar, The Lieutenant's kali sticks, and The Cabbage Merchant's Statue
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2018 07:37 pm »

Aren't all the specials listed the same as the DVD box sets though? They look similar.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2018 09:27 pm »

Aren't all the specials listed the same as the DVD box sets though? They look similar.

Yeah, it looks like all of the special features listed are direct lifts from the original season box sets.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2018 05:38 pm »

I really hope they don't just include the version of the pilot episode where you couldn't turn off the commentary.
Digimon Emperor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2018 11:05 am »

Looks like Amazon is going to have it too but almost a month later.

https://smile.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Airbender-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B07BC5STNG/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1521129833&sr=1-1

Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2018 04:34 pm »

People have started to get their copies early, and apparently Sozin's Comet is put together as one episode with the extended Previously On at the beginning and that's it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time it's been presented this way on a physical disc, as the OG Book 3 DVDs had it separated into the four parts.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018 04:28 pm »

People have started to get their copies early, and apparently Sozin's Comet is put together as one episode with the extended Previously On at the beginning and that's it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time it's been presented this way on a physical disc, as the OG Book 3 DVDs had it separated into the four parts.

Fantastic! I was hoping they would do that.  It always annoyed me that the DVD chopped up Sozin's Comet into individual episodes with intros, "previously ons", and credits.
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018 05:23 pm »

That's great news!

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018 09:57 pm »

Well, if I wasn't sold before, that would do it. I'm a completist for fun stuff like that.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018 10:14 pm »

Wished I knew about this earlier. It would have made an excellent birthday present.
Ooze33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Back from the dead?

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018 09:42 am »

I picked up my copy yesterday, so here's some info about the Blu-ray set:

• The set is 9 discs with 3 discs per Book. No episode guide is included, which is a bit of a bummer but not that big of a deal.
• The video's fullscreen 1080p (as it should be). While it's definitely an upscale, this is truly the best the show has ever looked. The first episodes of Book One are absolutely gorgeous seeing as we were dealing with the terrible DVDs up until now.
• The show hasn't been upgraded to surround sound, but it does come with a lossless stereo track in English and it sounds wonderful. Again, the best presentation the show has ever had. French and Spanish audio tracks are also included but they're lossy and akin to the previous DVD releases in quality.
• Subtitles are also included for the whole series, in English.
• One downside is that all of the bonus features are simply lifted from the DVDs. While it's good to have all of the stuff like commentaries and such, it's a disappointment that you can still only watch the original pilot with commentary and things like the "Avatar Spirits" documentary aren't included. It's a bit odd that they still include features like the Shyamalan interview seeing as that has come and gone quite awhile ago, but again it's just copy and paste.

So overall this is a fabulous Blu-ray release. It the best the show has ever looked and sounded (and it gets better quality-wise as the show goes on!). While it's a bit of a disappointment that this couldn't be the definitive release with all of the bonus features included, what we get is solid. I'll conclude with a new gif of the Foamy Mouth Guy in Blu-ray 1080p.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018 09:44 am by Ooze33 » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018 06:54 pm »

Thanks for the review! The lack of extras is a disappointment, but as long as the episodes themselves are solid, this is what I want.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018 07:09 am »

Finally got my hands on this,  and...awwww. Yes,  Sozin's Comet is all in one piece.  But - it's missing the original broadcast "previously on" segment.  The broadcast segment had an extended music piece using the same string ensemble as the rest of the finale.  It really had this epic feeling to it, starting off Sozin's Comet almost like a movie.  The blu rays don't have the "previously on" segments for any of the episodes, unlike Book 2 and 3 DVDs. I do prefer no "previously ons" for the rest of the episodes, but the one for "Sozin's Comet" was special so I wish they'd kept it. The DVD actually doesn't have the broadcast segment either,  but a shorter one with the normal music (then uses the special music for "Avatar Aang" 's previously on). Digital purchases of Sozin's Comet do have the broadcast segment,  though.  So that remains the best way to watch Sozin's Comet.

Anyways,  picture quality is really good.  The difference between the DVD and blu ray versions of "The Boy in the Iceberg" is obviously night and day.  It's not perfect, though - the nighttime scene toward the start of "The Avatar State" had noticeable artifacting - macroblocking, I think it's called?

But more than just the video quality, I think the audio quality was improved.  Maybe it's just because I was watching on my PC with nice headphones, but in "Boy in the Iceberg" I was hearing the sound effects of things like water splashing,  Ice cracking, wind blowing,  reslly clearly.

The menus are a bit barebones, just a still image of one of the characters instead of showing clips from the disc like the DVDs do.

Anyways,  those are my thoughts.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018 06:53 pm »

Finally got my hands on this,  and...awwww. Yes,  Sozin's Comet is all in one piece.  But - it's missing the original broadcast "previously on" segment.  The broadcast segment had an extended music piece using the same string ensemble as the rest of the finale.  It really had this epic feeling to it, starting off Sozin's Comet almost like a movie.  The blu rays don't have the "previously on" segments for any of the episodes, unlike Book 2 and 3 DVDs. I do prefer no "previously ons" for the rest of the episodes, but the one for "Sozin's Comet" was special so I wish they'd kept it. The DVD actually doesn't have the broadcast segment either,  but a shorter one with the normal music (then uses the special music for "Avatar Aang" 's previously on). Digital purchases of Sozin's Comet do have the broadcast segment,  though.  So that remains the best way to watch Sozin's Comet.

Aw, geez. So close...

Thanks for the info, though. I would have been especially disappointed to load up the disc and not get my Epic Previously.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: