Dec 14, 2018 06:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turf Wars, Part 3 speculation thread [SPOILERS from Parts 1 & 2!]  (Read 3947 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Jan 17, 2018 06:35 am »

If you have read Turf Wars Parts 1 & 2 and wish to speculate on what happens next in Part 3, please do so here. As usual, all forum rules apply.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018 06:28 am »

Omg I thought I unlocked the official discussion thread for Part 2 already. It has been unlocked now.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2018 02:08 pm »

Looks like Irene Koh has done an Ask Me Anything in regards to her comic work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/83kg3o/ama_im_irene_koh_illustrator_and_artist_on_the/

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2018 11:57 am »

I think the election is not going to be settled yet, unless they have a really quick election system.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2018 12:13 pm »

I think the election is not going to be settled yet, unless they have a really quick election system.

IIRC, Raiko was elected within two months (between the end of Book 1 and start of Book 2), so yeah, they do have a really quick election system.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2018 07:39 pm »

IIRC, Raiko was elected within two months (between the end of Book 1 and start of Book 2), so yeah, they do have a really quick election system.

So they like Canada, or England?

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2018 05:33 pm »

I'm not sure RC has had The Vote long enough to say what their system is. Previously, they were ruled by representatives from the other nations, ruling RC as a glorified joint colony. Raiko is the first ruler of a sovereign UR, so maybe their election cycle is based on whenever the citizens seem to really want a new government.

If Zhu Li wins, that will be the first peaceful transfer of power in the UR's history as a sovereign entity. Let's hope it goes well.

Or not.

I think I'd enjoy Raiko trying to use the military to hold on to power while Zhu Li and Varrick appeal to the other nations to recognize the legitimacy of their win, and then deploy giant robots to boot Raiko and his hardliners out.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2018 01:08 am »

So they like Canada, or England?

More like some banana republic? when there isn't much to vote on, voting stays nice and simple.

Usually the thing that takes time is forming coalitions with political parties with differing agendas, and then dividing ministries among them. I haven't seen much in the form of political parties, or ministries for that matter. Just El Presidente

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am »

Usually the thing that takes time is forming coalitions with political parties with differing agendas, and then dividing ministries among them.

The UR looks like a presidential democracy and not a parliamentary one, so inter-group political maneuvering is a non-issue. Think about the US election system, but without the pre-election part.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2018 06:08 pm »

Also, pretend that only Washington DC gets to vote for the president.

Or are we still pretending that there's more to the United Republic than its 'capital?'

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2018 07:44 pm »

Or are we still pretending that there's more to the United Republic than its 'capital?'
I think I saw an airfield in season 1. Maybe gremlins live there? Can gremlins vote?
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2018 01:18 am »

Usually the thing that takes time is forming coalitions with political parties with differing agendas, and then dividing ministries among them.

The UR looks like a presidential democracy and not a parliamentary one, so inter-group political maneuvering is a non-issue. Think about the US election system, but without the pre-election part.
Even the us has a theoretical multi party system. Point is that I don't even see that. There's no regional elections, no mayors, no governors, no administration. Apparently finally some competition during an election, but still no opposition in the government. How did Raiko even get the job? Did the concil just prop him up when they left? This is your new president. Listen to this guy. OKBye.

So the only thing to vote on is the position of president, who then gets to pick his personal buddies and yes-men to run the United Banana Republic

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2018 09:53 am »

How did Raiko even get the job? Did the concil just prop him up when they left? This is your new president. Listen to this guy. OKBye.

He had competition because Varrick specifically mentioned it. I guess Raiko enjoys a kind of "starter thrill" as nobody is up to talk trash about him because he is the first elected political leader and it is cool. Also, we know that Raiko himself feels like on the edge about his position and cuts corners at the expense of Korra.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2018 08:31 pm »

There's more to the Republic? Never noticed.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2018 11:31 pm »

A map in one of the episodes had shown that the United Republic is nearly the size of the Fire Nation, though going from what was actually depicted you'd never know it. Here's a screenshot:
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2018 11:35 pm by luvavatar » Logged
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2018 04:38 pm »

A map in one of the episodes had shown that the United Republic is nearly the size of the Fire Nation, though going from what was actually depicted you'd never know it. Here's a screenshot:
http://hdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/korra/302/0414.jpg
It would have been great if they had some locations marked within the inner part of the Republic.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2018 04:45 pm »

Yeah, that always annoyed me. The United Republic was never really fleshed out, it's like the writers forgot about it or something, which in my opinion is pretty poor world-building and a continued grief I've had with LOK more-so than Avatar.

Please remove the img tag when quoting images next time. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 08:45 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018 07:09 pm »

Yeah, that always annoyed me. The United Republic was never really fleshed out, it's like the writers forgot about it or something, which in my opinion is pretty poor world-building and a continued grief I've had with LOK more-so than Avatar.
The map has annoyed me since A:TLA. Republic city apparently takes up such a minute spot on the map that they have to zoom in on it for it to be seen. But places like Ba Sing Se are immense, yet the actual depiction makes it not look much larger in area than some mega-cities in the real world. Lake Laogai is definitely way too small for it to look like it does on the map. It should've been so massive that it would dwarf some of the largest lakes in our world.

Please remove the img tag when quoting images next time. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 08:45 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018 10:50 am »

When it was mentioned that one of the other Avatar comic were getting delayed, I remembered something I saw a while ago, but I don’t think anyone here has commented on:
http://korranews.com/post/173361825975/turf-wars-part-three-has-been-delayed-again-so
The release day for Turf Wars: Part 3 has been moved back to August 22nd/ September 4th.

The release schedule of this comic has been a bit of a drag.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018 05:26 pm »

I really hope this isn't delaying all the other releases. There is no reason why LoK comics and AtLA comics can't coexist.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2018 12:43 pm »

Looks like we have some comic news, and for once it’s not about delays!

https://nerdist.com/avatar-last-airbender-legend-of-korra-cover-reveal-dark-horse-exclusive/
We now have a cover for the Libary edition of Turf Wars, and a release date for it (assuming that it doesn’t get delayed too): March 26th, 2019.

We also have a preview for Turf Wars: Part 3:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/572906/the-legend-of-korra-turf-wars-part-three-by-written-by-michael-dante-dimartino-illustrated-by-irene-koh-colorist-vivian-ng/?irgwc=1&acparefid=27795_
And it appears that we actually have some of what the comics is named after.

noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2018 12:47 pm »

Looks great! A new article went up yesterday with some more preview pages - https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/korra-asamis-fate-revealed-in-the-legend-of-korra.html

They created a great, tense storyline - just as exciting as a continuation from the show. Looking forward to the finale. As for speculation, will we catch a glimpse of Kuvira, since her machinery is going to be used? I love that they brought back elements from Avatar Wan's origin episodes ("Beginnings" was many's favorite part of LOK) with the villain. I wonder if he'll keep progressing worse in the way of the spirit possession.

Paste says it's available August 22, while the wide release in Penguin's link says September 4. Is it available early in comics stores?
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2018 01:56 pm by noblebender » Logged

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2018 05:47 pm »

Yeah, comic shops typically get graphic novels a few weeks before book shops (including Amazon and the online like). It's a concession to help keep them in business, probably negotiated by Diamond Distributors. Diamond has a monopoly on supplying books to local comic shops, so I think arranging such a thing is the least they can do. Cheesy

noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2018 06:41 pm »

Yeah, comic shops typically get graphic novels a few weeks before book shops (including Amazon and the online like). It's a concession to help keep them in business, probably negotiated by Diamond Distributors. Diamond has a monopoly on supplying books to local comic shops, so I think arranging such a thing is the least they can do. Cheesy

Totally fair! Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea.

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2018 10:10 pm »

Went ahead and read it already thanks to a leaked copy. It was alright. Same complaints as the first two parts with part three feeling a bit rushed towards its resolution.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: