Jul 22, 2018 03:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2018 (May 5th 2018)  (Read 970 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Dec 19, 2017 07:38 pm »

The comic lineup for FCBD 2018 is out and it looks like we're getting a TLOK comic.

Can't find the synopsis for it yet.

Synopsis by Dark Horse.

Avatar Korra pairs up with an unlikely sidekick for a super-important, top-secret mission to track down a pack of lost pets in a story written by The Legend of Korra co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino with art by Jayd Aït-Kaci and Vivian Ng.

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2017 07:12 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2017 08:35 pm »

That's the happiest anyone has ever been to see Meelo.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2017 10:16 pm »

The fusion animals are back, yay!
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017 10:07 am »

There is also a little description now:
https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2629/amazing-stories-all-ages
Avatar Korra pairs up with an unlikely sidekick for a super-important, top-secret mission to track down a pack of lost pets in a story written by The Legend of Korra co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino with art by Jayd Aït-Kaci and Vivian Ng.

As usual Free Comic Book Day is 5th of May.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018 11:50 pm »

Read it. It’s a very simple and cute story. No Spirit World field trip though. There’s a throwaway line about zombie Amon. And it appears Ikki and Meelo are well read since their vocabulary is quite good for their age.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018 03:10 am »

Did no one else get this FCBD comic...? I thought people would talk about it?

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018 01:29 pm »

I have read it!

Admittedly there isn’t a whole lot to say about the story, but its pretty fine.
It’s kind of neat how it actually kinds of follows up on something briefly mentioned in Turf Wars: Part 1, where a couple had lost their dog. Interestingly enough, there actually is a dog among the pets that Meelo finds.
I wonder if it was intentional that the purple plush elephant looks like the Heffalump, there was a plush platypusbear that looked a bit like Winnie the Pooh in the old series, so who knows.
It’s a bit odd how both Legend of Korra Free Comic Book Day stories, at least in my opinion, are better drawn than Turf Wars.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018 06:49 pm »

I finally got around to reading it.

Eh, still not a fan of Grown Meelo. And the plot seems like it was stolen from My Little Pony's bin of rejected plots. But it was fairly inoffensive.

But I still wonder who this comic is aimed at. LoK fans are going to be older than this story seems written for, and I doubt it will bring in new readers, as there are better Kiddie Komics being offered both on FCBD and the regular comics shelves.

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018 09:19 pm »

I wanted to pick this up, but the stores I went to on FCBD didn't seem to have it. (Admittedly, I visited the stores pretty late in the day, because I went to London for a signing, but they seemed to have a lot of other FCBD issues still around.)

Just read it online. It was cute. Once again the art was better than the main Korra comic. I actually appreciate that they at least did something to make Meelo less of a jerk after Book 4.

But I still wonder who this comic is aimed at. LoK fans are going to be older than this story seems written for, and I doubt it will bring in new readers, as there are better Kiddie Komics being offered both on FCBD and the regular comics shelves.

Yeah, it's it's an odd one. The first FCBD Korra story seemed like it'd appeal to the fans a bit more- it gave us some backstory and showed us moments like Katara training Korra. But this focuses on a character I'm not sure people are exactly clamouring for. And I'm not sure it'd bring in new fans, given that the story isn't really the kind of thing included in the show/ main comic. (Plus it straight-up spoils three finales!)

Maybe Mike felt a bit limited by the publishing date- right between parts 2 and 3 of the main comic, so this story is vaguely set during the post Book 4 crisis, after Korra's vacation. And maybe he wanted to do something with a character who isn't getting much attention in the actual comics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: