Apr 22, 2019 04:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 0 (0%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 2 (50%)
7 - 1 (25%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (25%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #18] Turf Wars, Part 3  (Read 5895 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Dec 10, 2017 06:03 am »

Thread will be unlocked as soon as the comic is released.

Penguin Random House announced that Turf Wars, Part 3 will be physically available from September 2018 in bookstores and can be bought online from Sep 4, 2018. You can pre-order the book on Amazon.

Turf Wars is written by co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, Michael Dante DiMartino, and illustrated by Irene Koh with feed with feedback from Bryan Konietzko, the other co-creator of the series.

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. A thread for professional reviews will be created in due time. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA & TLOK Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of other future comics, please see Future Avatar Comics respectively.

Remember, only post if you've read the comic. As usual, illegal links/scans are NOT allowed to be posted and all forum rules apply.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018 07:24 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2018 10:41 am »

Has anyone else read it yet? On the whole, I absolutely loved the trilogy - more than the Avatar graphic novels, it felt like an exciting continuation of the show itself. Part Two was especially excellent - I think the explosion scene (while some had trouble with the logistics) should go down as one of the series' greatest moments. Part Two was exciting through and through, improved upon the pace of the first part, and really amped up the tension.

For Tokuga, initially I loved him as a villain and thought he made a great addition to the canon of distinctive Korra villains. He was fascinating in that they incorporated the mythology they created in "Beginnings" in Book Two. It was a great use of an interesting concept they set up. It fit into the world well (and made for some cool character design, not to mention the return of hook swords!). However, I was a bit surprised in this installment that they didn't actually write him off - there was no conclusion to his arc. It was surprising because Korra (unlike ATLA) wrote off every villain each season in some capacity (with the exception of bringing Zaheer back for a bit in Book Four). So while the comics felt like a great continuation of the show, this deviated from its tactics slightly. And I found myself disappointed with his dialogue and motivations in this installment, making a potential return and extension of his arc more disappointing in the future. He was definitely the downside of this part, because he'd been built up to be a great villain, and fell flat (which was especially surprising at the hands of DiMartino).

Ironically, Wonyong Keum - who started as one dimensional - ended up being the most interestingly developed character; more than Tokugawa. His relationship to Asami’s father and  company elevated dialogue during their capture.

Another great character is Jargala, who solidified herself for me in this installment. I love the way, like many great anti-villains in the universe, she stuck to her own motivations and didn’t become a magical ally to Korra. She got what she wanted, her turf back. It kept her up there for me in personality - which is a great thing to me. She’s a solid addition to the franchise, maybe the strongest new character they built in these comics.

Overall, I look forward to the next trilogy, especially if we get this kind of quality and excitement again. Definitely one of the best so far of the extended universe canon, second possibly to The Promise.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2018 09:23 am by noblebender » Logged

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018 01:48 pm »

I almost expected a call-back to Jenamite making for good candy.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2018 10:35 pm »

Done reading it. The story is just average, in my opinion. I was expecting more conflict between the triads but this felt rather tame. I still can’t get over the art, there’s just that many stray flyaway strands of hair that I see in every panel before I get a little annoyed.

At least the next trilogy has a new artist and I’m looking forward to what she brings to the table.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2018 12:08 pm »

Well, that comic story certainly… concluded.

There really isn’t much of interest to say about the story, which is a pity. You would think that they could go a bit more bonkers with a turf war between bending triads, but unfortunately it didn’t. Jargala isn’t particularly interesting, and Tokuga, despite getting mutated, remains really bland.

The art though is certainly something that can be discussed. I’m a regular viewer of Atop the 4th Wall, so I have at least seen a fair share of terrible comic artwork through that, and I wouldn’t say that the art of these comics is absolutely terrible. I wouldn’t even say that isn’t the worst among Avatar comics and books. But the art of Turf Wars is little more than serviceable, and a lot of it frankly looks rushed or outright sloppy. The art is very inconsistent, the style changes depending on how close things are to the viewer. At a distance things look fairly similar to the show, but up close it switches over to Koh’s own style. Speaking of distance shots, a lot of the time characters end up with cartoonishly simplistic facial features, which can clash badly with things closer to the reader. Close-ups aren’t safe either, at times they end up looking off in a rather uncanny valley type of way. There are also a lot of places where the art ends up looking a bit half-assed. At times the line work could have used a better cleanup, it ends up looking scratchy. There are far too many panels that have no backgrounds, a really bad example of this can be seen in part 2, where the fight between Korra and Tokuga from page 67 to 75 takes place in a mostly brown void. Even when there are backgrounds they often seem like they are lacking in detail, Jargala’s totally empty room on page 28 of part 3 is a good example. Koh also seems to have favorites when it comes to detailing characters, favoring detailing women with long hair a lot. Irene Koh mentioned that Jargala was her favorite character in the comic, and I think it shows, she consistently looks good, and has an outfit that’s far more detailed than most characters, important or otherwise, in this comic. At times characters and their outfits end up looking oddly bland, even for already established ones. Apparently old characters sheets weren’t available for reference when Varrick was drawn in part 2, so he is wearing a very generic looking coat; he is back to his old one in part 3 though. Zhu Li’s dress for her acceptance speech also looks really bland. For a guy who should look horrible and repulsive after his mutation Tokuga also ends up looking far less striking than he should, although part 3 is slightly better about making him look interesting. A hideous Ren and Stimpy style close-up would have done wonders. I even feel that a guy like Zhen, the man Tokuga chokes in part 2, should look a little more interesting than he does. This is probably a personal thing, but I don’t feel that the coloring is doing the comic much of a favor either. The colors are often a bit flat, and for my taste too dark. The dark colors end up making details hard to see and it’s not even particularly moody most of the time either. Just getting fairly basic things that were shown in the TV series like characters hair or clothes or even locations right seem to be a bit of a challenge at times. Motion and fight scenes aren’t particularly dynamic or striking either.

There are things that are good about the comics though. Proportions and perspective are consistent most of the time, although Bolin’s arms can get a bit thin when he has his hands up towards his face. There is also what I would call a good three-dimensional consistency for a lack of better terms. While backgrounds may be a bit bland, they are consistent for where things take place. Elements of locations don’t just change at random. Koh’s style also, oddly enough, lends itself well for distinguished looking gentlemen. Characters like Tenzin, Raiko and Wenyan consistently look good.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2018 03:44 pm »

I gave this comic an 8 just for the panel around the end where Raiko gives Republic City the Villain Stare, complete with a nightly environment and his reflection in the window. The way that panel was put into Zhu Li's speech just... blew me out of the water. It is too perfect for this baleful and unforgiving world Cheesy.

Also, when the Creeping Crystals Lady gave Korra that little demonstration with the jennamite I seriously expected a "One vision, one purpose!" from her Grin.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2018 05:50 pm »

I gave this comic an 8 just for the panel around the end where Raiko gives Republic City the Villain Stare, complete with a nightly environment and his reflection in the window. The way that panel was put into Zhu Li's speech just... blew me out of the water. It is too perfect for this baleful and unforgiving world Cheesy.

Minus 8 points for Zhu Li attributing a quote to the wrong person during her speech. Poor lion turle: humans made his entire species go extinct and now they don't even give him credit for offering useful pieces of advice.

Although now that I think about it, maybe Aang did say those words at some point in his life, but he never gave credit to the lion turtle in order to keep his existence a secret and thus protect him... or maybe he's just a shameless plagiarist  Tongue

Anyway, this comic was boring.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2018 05:55 pm by Aerial » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018 07:43 pm »

Well, I mean, Aang never did get the Lionturtle's name, did he? I'm not sure how to formally attribute something to "That Lionturtle I met that one time who's totally real."

Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018 11:13 pm »

I'm not sure how to formally attribute something to "That Lionturtle I met that one time who's totally real."

Sounds credible enough coming from the Avatar Cheesy

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2018 10:51 am »

A fine story, I am glad Zhu Li won, and Raiku is out of here I wonder if ex president Raiku is going to be a throne in our side in the future?

I am glad Korra and Mako are cool now, that female gang leader I hope we see her again, all and all an okay story for a first series. Just like The Promise was an okay start, which gave way to the Search, and I hope the next story reaches that level of epicness.

Like with the A:TLA comics, what I am waiting for is to see the Fire Nation and learn more about the royals. Izumi's daughter I am ready to meet, wonder if Azula and Kiyi are still alive, and what happened to Ty Lee, is still alive, and does she have any dissidents?

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: