Oct 21, 2018 03:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 0 (0%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 1 (50%)
7 - 0 (0%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (50%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #18] Turf Wars, Part 3  (Read 4433 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Dec 10, 2017 06:03 am »

Thread will be unlocked as soon as the comic is released.

Penguin Random House announced that Turf Wars, Part 3 will be physically available from September 2018 in bookstores and can be bought online from Sep 4, 2018. You can pre-order the book on Amazon.

Turf Wars is written by co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, Michael Dante DiMartino, and illustrated by Irene Koh with feed with feedback from Bryan Konietzko, the other co-creator of the series.

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. A thread for professional reviews will be created in due time. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA & TLOK Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of other future comics, please see Future Avatar Comics respectively.

Remember, only post if you've read the comic. As usual, illegal links/scans are NOT allowed to be posted and all forum rules apply.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018 07:24 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2018 10:41 am »

Has anyone else read it yet? On the whole, I absolutely loved the trilogy - more than the Avatar graphic novels, it felt like an exciting continuation of the show itself. Part Two was especially excellent - I think the explosion scene (while some had trouble with the logistics) should go down as one of the series' greatest moments. Part Two was exciting through and through, improved upon the pace of the first part, and really amped up the tension.

For Tokuga, initially I loved him as a villain and thought he made a great addition to the canon of distinctive Korra villains. He was fascinating in that they incorporated the mythology they created in "Beginnings" in Book Two. It was a great use of an interesting concept they set up. It fit into the world well (and made for some cool character design, not to mention the return of hook swords!). However, I was a bit surprised in this installment that they didn't actually write him off - there was no conclusion to his arc. It was surprising because Korra (unlike ATLA) wrote off every villain each season in some capacity (with the exception of bringing Zaheer back for a bit in Book Four). So while the comics felt like a great continuation of the show, this deviated from its tactics slightly. And I found myself disappointed with his dialogue and motivations in this installment, making a potential return and extension of his arc more disappointing in the future. He was definitely the downside of this part, because he'd been built up to be a great villain, and fell flat (which was especially surprising at the hands of DiMartino).

Ironically, Wonyong Keum - who started as one dimensional - ended up being the most interestingly developed character; more than Tokugawa. His relationship to Asami’s father and  company elevated dialogue during their capture.

Another great character is Jargala, who solidified herself for me in this installment. I love the way, like many great anti-villains in the universe, she stuck to her own motivations and didn’t become a magical ally to Korra. She got what she wanted, her turf back. It kept her up there for me in personality - which is a great thing to me. She’s a solid addition to the franchise, maybe the strongest new character they built in these comics.

Overall, I look forward to the next trilogy, especially if we get this kind of quality and excitement again. Definitely one of the best so far of the extended universe canon, second possibly to The Promise.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2018 09:23 am by noblebender » Logged

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018 01:48 pm »

I almost expected a call-back to Jenamite making for good candy.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: