Nov 23, 2017 02:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Regular Earthbenders Bend Iron Sand?  (Read 544 times)
Doctor Know
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 13, 2017 12:30 pm »

I was watching Princess Mononoke last night and the Iron Sand Villagers got me thinking about ATLA/LOK. Like it's name suggests, iron sand is composed primarily of iron and other minerals. Metal bending works by bending the impurities/fragments inside metals. But grains of sand are different. In Naruto for example, a shinobi needed to have magnet release to manipulate iron sand.

My question is; do you think a non-metalbending earthbender could exert influence over iron sand?

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2017 12:55 pm »

Hi,

As we have seen, bending sand in itself is a particular skill only the desert dwelling sandbenders had, and Toph had some trouble with figuring out, because they were exposed to an abundance of it, and a lack of solid rock.
so while it is a form of 'normal' earthbending, one would need a different mindset. you can't handle it 'rock-like', it literally slips through your fingers.

Metalbending is a separate skill. i like to think that Toph learning sandbending taught her to focus on a much smaller scale, thus noticing the small bits of earth embedded in metal. still, the metal itself is not what she was bending.

to answer your question, I suppose some metal dust would be swept up along with the sand when bending it, along with whatever twigs, bugs, moisture and other things that might be in the sand. while i think such things in the sand make it heavier and more difficult to handle and require extra skill to either lift the sand with the impurities, or successfully filter the sand, i don't think mixing iron dust with sand would give the sand special properties that require a special bender.

maybe it would improve conductivity and therefore help in creating a dissapating shield against lightning bending?

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2017 01:33 pm »

Earthbenders can bend ceramics, we know that much:

Ceramics generally include metals in small traces (exactly like iron sand), so I guess we can draw a parallel here and say that an earthbender/sandbender could bend iron sand no problem.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2017 07:34 pm »

Those might have just been polished clay. Or even some kind of rock-candy coating. I don't think we can assume ceramics.

As for the main question, LoK was pretty clear that any purified metal can't be bent, so no, the Earthbender would not be 'bending' the metal components. Maybe they would get swept up, but that's not bending. I never liked that explanation, as it raises the question of what metal's elemental classification is and who can bend it? And if can't be bent, and the Avatar world doesn't operate on the principles of the classic elements, then what are we even doing?

In fanfic I used unbendable metal as a sign that the whole world is falling apart, and it comes from the Spirit World.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2017 11:32 pm »

Those might have just been polished clay. Or even some kind of rock-candy coating. I don't think we can assume ceramics.

As for the main question, LoK was pretty clear that any purified metal can't be bent, so no, the Earthbender would not be 'bending' the metal components. Maybe they would get swept up, but that's not bending.
For AtLA, was Toph always touching metal directly when bending except for the meteor? Perhaps back in AtLA contact was more necessary for metal.
LoK tends to dismiss this as people are bending metal that they aren't directly touching anymore and we get things like not-mercury being used to poison Korra. If that liquid was purely metal then it shouldn't be possible to bend yet they lifted it up with bending. Iron sand's metal components being swept up would be like the liquid metal being swept up?

And if can't be bent, and the Avatar world doesn't operate on the principles of the classic elements, then what are we even doing?
Shipping and receiving.

I like that idea about how you used unbendable metal; it puts the idea of balance into play.
Doctor Know
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2017 09:02 pm »

Asking other Avatar fans and thinking about it more, I think you would need some form of magentism to manipulate grains of iron sand en masse. There's not enough particles of earth to manipulate like Toph and LOK metal benders do for larger pieces of metal.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2017 03:52 am »

When it comes to magnetism though, aside from Varrick's magnet-suit, it isn't mentioned anywhere else in the atla universe, let alone related to bending. so unless the writers suddenly make it happen, i'd say metal dust/sand just can't be bent.

/edit
the mechatanks had magnetic hand/weapons too, but that's still tech, not bending, and for large chunks like cars.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2017 04:21 am by Yougo » Logged

Doctor Know
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2017 08:54 am »

When it comes to magnetism though, aside from Varrick's magnet-suit, it isn't mentioned anywhere else in the atla universe, let alone related to bending. so unless the writers suddenly make it happen, i'd say metal dust/sand just can't be bent.

/edit
the mechatanks had magnetic hand/weapons too, but that's still tech, not bending, and for large chunks like cars.

You could make an Earthbender a magnetbender easy enough. The Earth has it's own natural magnetic field and there are naturally occurring magnetic rocks. It shouldn't be too outlandish for the world of Avatar. I mean, we have certain Eartbenders who can lava bend wherever they want to. Don't get me started on the amount of heat/energy conversion it would take to turn solid rock into liquid rock. And yet Ghazan and Bolin just stomp on the ground and poof, there's lava.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2017 06:36 pm »

I would expect Lightningbenders to have more affinity for magnetism. I'm surprised that Azula didn't magnetize her armor in the finale. I guess she would have needed some copper wire.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2017 01:54 am »

^heh, imagine the URN equipping their ships with magnet-railguns. have a metalbender push a metal slug into the railgun and a lightningbender zap the coils, launching the slug with more power than the metal bender could on his own.

it would look better than the firebender funnel things, and the earthbender hurling disks from their balcony.

...or for a more peaceful idea: since we haven't seen the fire nation during LOK, what if they transformed themselves and now they have maglev trains zipping you from Chauldron to Crescent Moon before your tea gets cold! eat your heart out Ba Sing Se!

Angspiritkami
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2017 09:54 am »

Has it ever been shown that Earth benders can bend things with iron in them? I can't remember specifically
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: