Jul 23, 2017 12:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nature of Spirits  (Read 382 times)
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jun 23, 2017 10:18 am »

So if you could change or solidify the nature of Spirits in Legend of Korra how would you do so? I've had issues with the way Legend of Korra portrayed them because they are all over the place. Initially in Avatar the spirits are portrayed as Spirits of Nature, but Korra specifically states they are from another world, and thus no longer natural to the Avatar world.

For myself I would have liked to see some form of a Celestial Bureaucracy. Maybe something that would become torn apart as more war spread on Earth then became more smooth running during times of peace.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm by Uzuko » Logged
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2017 10:47 am »

I find most of them to be pretty hypocritical and ironic. They leak into a world that isn't their own killing some of the inhabitants forcing them to possible near extinction on Lion Turtles. Their reasons for killing humans are mediocre. Apparently eating meat = disrespecting nature "kill 'em" while eating plants = a-OK. Last I recall, humans are a part of nature as well. They don't deserve to get any sort of Bureaucracy since most of them are no better if not, worse than the human characters.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2017 04:20 pm »

I think there is a story not told here. Like, the spirit's disregard of human well being is fairly consistent through the series, and I just know that M&B had an idea for this.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2017 08:52 pm »

I think there is a story not told here. Like, the spirit's disregard of human well being is fairly consistent through the series, and I just know that M&B had an idea for this.

The moon and ocean could have did their tango just as well in the spirit world, however they decided to hang around in the mortal realm. I would think that means they would die just like any fish but apparently they are still immortal so long as no one is feeling peckish. By being in the not-spirit world the people get a moon and perhaps the ocean itself. 
Hei Bai didn't like that monkey spirit's offhand comment when Aang left his first trip to the spirit world and blew up in the monkey's face.
Even Wan Shi Tong needs humans to not bite the dust because he's collecting knowledge and his library is full of human findings and musings.

These spirits have a regard for humans of a sort.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2017 09:54 pm »

But they do have reasons to look down on or despise humans. For instance humans hunted the lionturtles to extinction. These noble and magnificent beings gave humans bending and shelter. How was their kindness repaid? Genocide. I am actually surprised the spirits didn't rip the world apart after that one, but they may have felt that the lionturtles got what they "deserved". They were kind to humans and their kindness was repaid with a betrayal most foul.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2017 06:45 am »

These spirits have a regard for humans of a sort.

Well, it is true that their disposition can be changed for the better. Just another reason to think that there is a little something-something going on.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2017 04:08 pm »

But they do have reasons to look down on or despise humans. For instance humans hunted the lionturtles to extinction. These noble and magnificent beings gave humans bending and shelter. How was their kindness repaid? Genocide. I am actually surprised the spirits didn't rip the world apart after that one, but they may have felt that the lionturtles got what they "deserved". They were kind to humans and their kindness was repaid with a betrayal most foul.
I still wonder how exactly a city/village sized behemoth could be taken down by benders.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2017 05:22 pm »

They would most likely swarm the head and attack them through their eyes. I wonder why the Avatar didn't prevent this senseless slaughter.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2017 10:21 pm »

I wonder why the Avatar didn't prevent this senseless slaughter.
More than likely happened while the Avatar still didn't know they were the Avatar until the average mandatory age of 16.

Though I'd like to imagine that it was like that Tree from "Courage the Cowardly Dog" who let Eustace cut him down as it would make Eustace happy to make Courage miserable. The Lion Turtles saw that the humans would be happy to exterminate them and let the hunt begin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: