Sep 19, 2017 08:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legend of Korra: Pro-bending Arena tabletop game  (Read 527 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Jun 22, 2017 07:09 pm »

Geek and Sundry just posted that The Legend of Korra is getting a tabletop game later this year via a Kickstarter campaign.

The Legend of Korra may be over, but gaming fans will soon have the opportunity to revisit the world that Korra inhabited. IDW Games has revealed that the sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender will be its second tabletop collaboration with Nickelodeon.

According to IDW Games, The Legend of Korra: Pro-bending Arena will evoke the first season of Korra’s adventures in Republic City when she was part of the pro-bending sports team known as the Future Industries Fire Ferrets.  The focus of the game will be on the Fire Ferrets and their hated rivals, the White Falls Wolfbats. Within the game, two players will assume control over their respective teams as they draft benders by building a deck of cards and deploy elemental tokens on the game board. The game will also maintain the rules of pro-bending that were established in the show. Essentially, there are two ways to win a head-to-head match: knock all of the opposing team members out of the ring or advance the furthest before the game is over.

Sen-Foong Lim (Akrotiri, The Godfather: A New Don) and Jessey Wright (Pocket Adventure) collaborated on the creation of this game, which is geared towards fans of the series and tabletop gamers alike. IDW Games notes that this is only the first Legend of Korra game to be released under the Nickelodeon deal, but no other details about additional titles have been revealed. Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra both have a very rich mythology and compelling characters that would be ideal choices for future tabletop games. And the possibilities are quite enticing.

Later this summer, IDW Games and Nickelodeon will start a Kickstarter campaign for The Legend of Korra: Pro-bending Arena, and the game will be released this fall at FLGS across the country.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2017 11:42 am »

Nickelodeon and IDW are two large companies, can't they find other ways to gage fan want and reaction to this product than using kickstarter?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2017 09:25 pm »

Eh, IDW isn't that big, and the geek-boardgame market is pretty niche. Those things go for about $100 a pop, too, so wanting to make sure there are enough buyers isn't unreasonable.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2017 03:12 am »

IDW Games has been posting some pictures on their twitter that shows some of the things that the Pro-Bending Arena will contain if the Kickstarter gets backed sufficiently. They demoed it at Gen Con in Indianapolis.
The KorraNews blog has posted quite a bit about it:
http://korranews.com/post/164221335215/kickstarter-for-the-legend-of-korra-pro-bending
http://korranews.com/post/164229283200/the-legend-of-korra-pro-bending-arena-to-be
http://korranews.com/post/164292859645/we-have-our-first-look-of-the-legend-of-korra
http://korranews.com/post/164295340405/here-we-have-a-closer-look-at-the-pro-bender
http://korranews.com/post/164304048905/finally-some-closeups-of-pro-bending-arena-our
http://korranews.com/post/164304943950/awesome-view-of-the-pro-bending-arena-pro-bender

Those are some pretty nice looking figurines.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2017 12:51 pm »

Congrats on 500 posts!

These are neat. I'm not really into board games, but this looks cool.

Does anyone know if the figurines will be pre-painted? (Not necessarily in detail.) At the moment it seems like it'd be a little difficult to differentiate between the two teams at a glance.

KorraNews will probably write about this quite a lot, the guy who runs it loves the first two books of LOK, so this is right up his alley.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2017 06:28 pm »

Neither the Ghostbusters nor the TMNT games from IDW had pre-painted miniatures, so I wouldn't expect LoK to have them.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2017 10:37 am »

Congrats on 500 posts!

Thanks! I don’t pot all that much, so I takes a while to get to that many.

I doubt the figures will be painted, although I hope there is some sort of sign or tag to tell the different teams and player figures apart.

KorraNews has a few more pictures of the game pieces:
http://korranews.com/post/164534532180/the-legend-of-korra-pro-bending-arena-gen-con

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017 10:42 am by Runamuck » Logged
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2017 02:19 pm »

as far as i can discern from the pictures, i see 2 different figures for water (standing and kneeling) and earth (disk on hand and foot), and one for fire. i suppose the second fire figure is around somewhere too. also i can see there are two card decks, one for the Fire Ferrets, and one for the Wolfbats. i doubt there will be more sets/teams.

so with 3 pairs of figures and two card decks, the game woould be complete

the figures look nice. these have to be 3d printed i guess. there's no way to ever mold that and i can't really see how to assemble that at such a scale

a tiny bit of me still wants to have a functional playable Pai Sho set. rules were never completely clear. with today's 3d printing, some nicely wood-fiber printed tiles with carved symbols would look good

/edit
the glass display has more poses! i see at least 4 earth figures (backhand, forehand, handstand and low push), and two fire figures (high kick and punch)
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017 02:23 pm by Yougo » Logged

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2017 02:50 am »

The Kickstarter campaign has launched and to no one's surprise, it has reached its goal.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2017 06:40 pm »

No stretch goals? Weird.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: