Nov 24, 2017 08:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 0 (0%)
9 - 3 (37.5%)
8 - 1 (12.5%)
7 - 1 (12.5%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (12.5%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (12.5%)
1 - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #16] Turf Wars, Part 1  (Read 2367 times)
dogzee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2017 04:46 pm »

Go back to 4chan, dogzee. :/
I never ever used 4chan so try again. Did I strike a nerve? Too bad idc so go cry it out.

Zaheer is a wise man. His politics are just a bit too extreme. After all, he fixed Korra and started a five-year-journey to fixing the Earth Kingdom(s) forever. Tongue

Also, I'm not sure conflating Ozai with 'fixing' the franchise is a workable strategy. I mean, the Fire Nation were the bad guys in AtLA and ruined the world.
The Fire Nation were in fact not the bad guys. Their ideals just clashed with the whole stupid idea of the four nations must remain seperate (which was completely destroyed with the creation of the URN and in a way fulfilled Sozin's dream). Besides the Air Nomads, none of that senseless violence had to happen, if the other inferior nations had just bent their knees then everyone would see the greatness of the Fire Nation and live a happy and peaceful life, just look at the colonies! You can't really call a country evil for wanting to expand.

The Avatarverse was at it's best when it had a powerful story revolving around the Fire Nation so we can only hope that in the next series they put Sozin's Comet to good use and reset the world back to the glory days.

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2017 06:42 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2017 02:12 am »

He called ~snip~ disgusting. Not only that, but he initially did not even know what it meant. He literally can't be from 4chan or any other taiwanese knitting board Tongue.

I never ever used 4chan so try again. Did I strike a nerve? Too bad idc so go cry it out.

Hey, keep things respectful as per point 1 of the forum rules. Repeated infractions will warrant a probation/ban and temp lock of this thread.

Admin's post, do not reply or it will be deleted.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2017 07:07 pm »

The Fire Nation were in fact not the bad guys. Their ideals just clashed with the whole stupid idea of the four nations must remain seperate (which was completely destroyed with the creation of the URN and in a way fulfilled Sozin's dream). Besides the Air Nomads, none of that senseless violence had to happen, if the other inferior nations had just bent their knees then everyone would see the greatness of the Fire Nation and live a happy and peaceful life, just look at the colonies! You can't really call a country evil for wanting to expand.

You forgot the part where Sozin wouldn't be happy with the UR because it's a mix of cultures, including allowing gay people to be gay without getting dragged off to death camps, and not just a domination of the Fire Nation ways with red flags hanging everywhere.

Sozin didn't want a single-world-government. He wanted the Fire Nation to rule everything because he was a racist, including things like settling arguments with death duels, and he wanted to kill everyone who disagreed because he was a jerk.

You know, like all the real-world monstrous dictators whose methods your rhetoric echoes to a disturbing degree.

Now, you might just be funnin'. Some fans like to role-play support for the bad guys, and that can be fun. I've even enjoyed both participating and being a spectator in that kind of thing.

However, you're new here, and this argument got heated, and real-life social politics are very disturbing right now, so as a fellow poster, I'm advising that if you're funnin', you might want to tone it down.

The Avatarverse was at it's best when it had a powerful story revolving around the Fire Nation

This does not logically follow. AtLA being the best could be because it's a powerful story revolving around a twelve-year-old. Or a million other factors. Maybe even a billion; I didn't actually count them.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2017 09:57 pm »

Is anyone else really annoyed that Mike felt the need to make Sozin extra evil by making him a homophobe? Like a mass murder and man who lead a genocide agains the Air Nation wasn't really evil he prevented people of the same biological sex from being together.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2017 10:14 pm »

I wonder if Zuko, Iroh, and Ursa are immune to the same prejudices as the rest of their countrymen. Roll Eyes

Anyway, the one good thing to come out of these Korra comics is that we can now make jokes about a flamboyant, yet homophobic Haru. Think Marik Ishstar from Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 08:17 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Aug 23, 2017 11:08 pm »

Is anyone else really annoyed that Mike felt the need to make Sozin extra evil by making him a homophobe? Like a mass murder and man who lead a genocide agains the Air Nation wasn't really evil he prevented people of the same biological sex from being together.
It keeps trying to dredge up the past. With all that the show tried to do to say they are moving on from Airbender, it keeps circling the drain around the past. That information dump of Kya's is clumsy. Just have the two of them be a couple and get on with the rest of the story. And stop resetting Korra's supposed character development.

I wonder if Zuko, Iroh, and Ursa are immune to the same prejudices as the rest of their countrymen. Roll Eyes
Iroh became White Lotus so could have adapted other cultures' views on matters or learn to draw strength from different sources thereby letting him not have that prejudice anymore.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #31 on: Aug 24, 2017 05:25 pm »

And Ursa is just magically always in agreement with the good guys.

Zuko's probably totally a homophobe, though. It's what had him so cranky during those three years when he was stuck on a ship with a crew of social outcast men. (Mai just didn't tell him about those "practice kisses" with Ty Lee.)

dogzee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Aug 24, 2017 07:04 pm »

You forgot the part where Sozin wouldn't be happy with the UR because it's a mix of cultures, including allowing gay people to be gay without getting dragged off to death camps, and not just a domination of the Fire Nation ways with red flags hanging everywhere.

Sozin didn't want a single-world-government. He wanted the Fire Nation to rule everything because he was a racist, including things like settling arguments with death duels, and he wanted to kill everyone who disagreed because he was a jerk.

You know, like all the real-world monstrous dictators whose methods your rhetoric echoes to a disturbing degree.

Now, you might just be funnin'. Some fans like to role-play support for the bad guys, and that can be fun. I've even enjoyed both participating and being a spectator in that kind of thing.

However, you're new here, and this argument got heated, and real-life social politics are very disturbing right now, so as a fellow poster, I'm advising that if you're funnin', you might want to tone it down.

The Avatarverse was at it's best when it had a powerful story revolving around the Fire Nation

This does not logically follow. AtLA being the best could be because it's a powerful story revolving around a twelve-year-old. Or a million other factors. Maybe even a billion; I didn't actually count them.
That's why I said "in a way", as the world is united just not in the way he wanted. Sozin may have been racist but so what? We've already seen that racist Fire Nation people were living in harmony with 2nd class citizen Earth Kingdom people who were also racist and he clearly allowed the Yu Dao colony to mix so there is no real problem with multiculturalism so long as the FN was dominant. The whole racism thing is specifically towards bending anyway as there is literally no racial diversity besides eye color.  Fire Nation still has better policies than URN.

He wanted to rule everything because the Fire Nation was the most wealthy and prosperous nation and he wanted to share that with the 3rd world currupt Earth Kingdom and barbarism Water Tribes. He was not motivated by racism and you have no evidence of that. If he was an extreme racist he would've practiced exterminating EK people or throwing them into camps which he did neither, besides the benders but that was under Azulon's rule. "Death Duels" were optional so...

Lol what? Not roleplaying just for a laugh. This isn't politics pal, lts a fictional world. Excluding his act of genocide, Sozin did nothing wrong and it was all with good intentions for a better world. Kuvira should be just as "bad" as him, I agreed with her as well, the Earth Empire was better than the Earth Kingdom, granted she probably should've left the URN alone but whatever.

How is that evil? Leee Evil Sozin is just misunderstood  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 07:07 pm by dogzee » Logged
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Aug 24, 2017 10:26 pm »

This, plus he and Bryan always claimed how TLoK is the most mature thing ever, and that they don't believe in playing to traditional morality.  But suggesting that a major villain lacks any redeeming qualities kind of falls into the typical morality that they claim to wish to avoid.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2017 10:28 pm by Antiyonder » Logged
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2017 04:30 pm »

I really do like the inclusion of LGBT themes in this comic as it does add another layer to the Avatarverse. Another layer that they couldn't really go into detail with under Nickelodeon.

I feel it does actually make sense that a hardcore traditionalist dominionist like Sozin would make same-sex relationships illegal as he most likely viewed homosexuality as a form of weakness. What did surprise me was how out of all the four nations, the Earth Kingdom seemed to have been the least accepting throughout it's entire history. According to Kya, the Fire Nation was accepting until Sozin came into power.
unicornpowah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2017 05:33 pm »

Viewing homosexuality as a form of weakness makes no sense. There are real life examples of civilizations (particularly in Ancient Greece) where homosexuality between males was encouraged in the military because it was believed that the soldiers would fight harder if they were to see a lover die.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2017 06:25 pm »

That's why I said "in a way", as the world is united just not in the way he wanted. Sozin may have been racist but so what? We've already seen that racist Fire Nation people were living in harmony with 2nd class citizen Earth Kingdom people who were also racist and he clearly allowed the Yu Dao colony to mix so there is no real problem with multiculturalism so long as the FN was dominant. The whole racism thing is specifically towards bending anyway as there is literally no racial diversity besides eye color.  Fire Nation still has better policies than URN.

Yeah, Sozin had no problem with multiculturism as long as the Fire Nation people form the ruling class and everyone else forms the servant class. Tongue That's the opposite of what's going on in the UR, so I'm sure Sozin would be rolling in his grave.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that conquering the world was neither the only nor even the most efficient way of spreading whatever wealth and advancement the Fire Nation had. If Sozin really cared about multiculturalism and generosity, he could have given away gifts of technology or investments, or helped establish independent trade centers where the different cultures could mix.

But no, he worked exclusively through war.

That betrays his real intentions.

Or else Sozin was an idiot with no imagination. Take your pick.

He wanted to rule everything because the Fire Nation was the most wealthy and prosperous nation and he wanted to share that with the 3rd world currupt Earth Kingdom and barbarism Water Tribes. He was not motivated by racism and you have no evidence of that. If he was an extreme racist he would've practiced exterminating EK people or throwing them into camps which he did neither, besides the benders but that was under Azulon's rule. "Death Duels" were optional so...

Do you even know what racism is?

Because you're mimicking it by calling the Earth Kingdom a "3rd world country" when Ba Sing Se is more sophisticated than anything we saw in the Fire Nation, and calling the Water Tribe "barbarians" because they made use of the resources available in a harsh climate.

"Racism" isn't calling for the extermination of a people or culture, except at the most extreme. It's looking down on people and cultures for their differences. Sozin did exactly that. We have only his word that no one else was as advanced as the Fire Nation, and someone who grew up in the same environment as Sozin and went on to see experienced the rest of the world- Roku- disagreed vehemently. Most likely, Sozin just saw differences- like countries that didn't settle disputes with death duels- as being bad simply because he was a close-minded egomaniac who was in love with his best friend and couldn't admit it to himself.

Why are you so eager to take Sozin at his word and see a self-defeating tyrant as a hero?

Lol what? Not roleplaying just for a laugh. This isn't politics pal, lts a fictional world. Excluding his act of genocide, Sozin did nothing wrong and it was all with good intentions for a better world. Kuvira should be just as "bad" as him, I agreed with her as well, the Earth Empire was better than the Earth Kingdom, granted she probably should've left the URN alone but whatever.

In a democracy, everything is politics. Especially art that's meant to be political, like AtLA.

Incidentally, reading against the text of a story- which is what you're doing- is also a political act. Congratulations! You're officially a social-agitator operating through art-criticism! Tell your liberal-arts-major friends! Grin

DoTheDwah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Get in... I got caaandyyy...

michael_manley_426
« Reply #37 on: Aug 25, 2017 07:55 pm »

Oof, I'm glad I disowned LoK when I did. It's disheartening just hearing about how it's gone full SJW by needlessly making Sozin more of a bad guy than he already was by way of some arbitrary anti-gay marriage law, as if wiping out an entire race of people wasn't evil enough. All that's missing is Korra spouting "That genocide thing was bad, but now Sozin is, like, lit-er-ally Hitler" and the culturally marxist millennial bend would be complete. Tongue

I already felt bad for having shipped Korrasami in the first place out of a sense of my want of a fulfilled lesbian fix being exploited for a cheap gimmick, but knowing how much it's been reduced to this extent of a tool makes me regret it that much more.

dogzee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Aug 25, 2017 08:21 pm »

Yeah, Sozin had no problem with multiculturism as long as the Fire Nation people form the ruling class and everyone else forms the servant class. Tongue That's the opposite of what's going on in the UR, so I'm sure Sozin would be rolling in his grave.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that conquering the world was neither the only nor even the most efficient way of spreading whatever wealth and advancement the Fire Nation had. If Sozin really cared about multiculturalism and generosity, he could have given away gifts of technology or investments, or helped establish independent trade centers where the different cultures could mix.

But no, he worked exclusively through war.

That betrays his real intentions.

Or else Sozin was an idiot with no imagination. Take your pick.
Maybe.

It was the most necessary means lmao you're forgetting the fact that the world declared war against the Fire Nation after they heard about the genocide so it's not like he had the opportunity to talk it through and it's not like he would've been for trade centers. His country was powerful enough to take the world so that's exactly why he planned conquest. Why trade battleships for wooden boats? The rest of the world wasn't advanced enough to trade with the Fire Nation. It's like you said, he wanted the FN to be the ruling class but it still doesn't change the fact that he was sharing with the world, he just had to fight the resistance. The EK people were allowed to live their normal lives just under FN authority, and the one's that did live with FN people were barely lower class citizens, they had less job opportunities but weren't mistreated (Yu Dao).

Do you even know what racism is?

Because you're mimicking it by calling the Earth Kingdom a "3rd world country" when Ba Sing Se is more sophisticated than anything we saw in the Fire Nation, and calling the Water Tribe "barbarians" because they made use of the resources available in a harsh climate.

"Racism" isn't calling for the extermination of a people or culture, except at the most extreme. It's looking down on people and cultures for their differences. Sozin did exactly that. We have only his word that no one else was as advanced as the Fire Nation, and someone who grew up in the same environment as Sozin and went on to see experienced the rest of the world- Roku- disagreed vehemently. Most likely, Sozin just saw differences- like countries that didn't settle disputes with death duels- as being bad simply because he was a close-minded egomaniac who was in love with his best friend and couldn't admit it to himself.

Why are you so eager to take Sozin at his word and see a self-defeating tyrant as a hero?

Yes I do.

No I'm not. Because I watched this show I know that it's a solid fact that the Earth Kingdom has always been corrupt and divided, you know that's so when they're are two kings and the higher one who is also a figurehead doesn't even know about the lesser one who is more powerful completely giving up his mini kingdom to the Fire Nation. Ba Sing Se isn't more sophisticated than the Fire Nation, you believe a giant wall makes it more advanced? That's just the people using their natural abilities to an advantage, nothing fancy or smart about that. Meanwhile the Fire Nation has icecream and refrigerators, 10x more advanced than anything the EK has shown. As for the Water Tribes, I called them barbarians because of well their lack of civilized society/primal culture and as a direct reference to the book of Avatar Racial Slurs, Snow Barbarian is one of them (Master Kunyo to Sokka). Don't get me started on the Foggy Swamp Tribe, that may be entering racist territory, darn dirty swamp dwellers  Roll Eyes

Because I've seen the history and state of the Avatar World and Sozin's ideologies sounded like the best plan, he truly was the hero from his perspective and many others. Fire Nation > Rest of the world.

In a democracy, everything is politics. Especially art that's meant to be political, like AtLA.

Incidentally, reading against the text of a story- which is what you're doing- is also a political act. Congratulations! You're officially a social-agitator operating through art-criticism! Tell your liberal-arts-major friends! Grin

Is My Little Pony a political art too? I bet you are very knowledgeable on those affairs, oh great elder of cartoon ponies.

fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Aug 25, 2017 09:49 pm »

All that's missing is Korra spouting "That genocide thing was bad, but now Sozin is, like, lit-er-ally Hitler" and the culturally marxist millennial bend would be complete. Tongue

But she didn't. Did she?

Simply acknowledging that LGBT people exist in the Avatarverse is the farthest thing from "full SJW".
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Aug 26, 2017 10:59 am »

Oof, I'm glad I disowned LoK when I did. It's disheartening just hearing about how it's gone full SJW by needlessly making

I don't think the Avatar universe was invaded by SJW's. I think Mike and Bryan wanted to execute LGBT themes, and just did it badly. I don't mind the inclusion of LGBT characters or these, its just that the execution is awful. Kya's explination dump is a perfect example of why you should show not tell, and the logic of who is accepting and who is not is just strange. The culture that separates this genders, and promotes emotional and physical detachment should not be the one most accepting of same sex relationships. You would think that the nation built on the strongest community ties, the Water Tribes, would, but then Korra couldn't have a badly written conflict with her parents.

I'm also having some issues with setting. The Legend of Korra is largely based on the 1920's, and that was a point in American history where, at least in urban areas, LGBT individuals were accepted. J.K. Rowling did the same with Fantastic Beast and Where to Find them. The reamergence of conservatives and repressions did not happen until the 30's people.
dogzee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2017 01:37 pm »

Oof, I'm glad I disowned LoK when I did. It's disheartening just hearing about how it's gone full SJW by needlessly making

I don't think the Avatar universe was invaded by SJW's. I think Mike and Bryan wanted to execute LGBT themes, and just did it badly. I don't mind the inclusion of LGBT characters or these, its just that the execution is awful. Kya's explination dump is a perfect example of why you should show not tell, and the logic of who is accepting and who is not is just strange. The culture that separates this genders, and promotes emotional and physical detachment should not be the one most accepting of same sex relationships. You would think that the nation built on the strongest community ties, the Water Tribes, would, but then Korra couldn't have a badly written conflict with her parents.

I'm also having some issues with setting. The Legend of Korra is largely based on the 1920's, and that was a point in American history where, at least in urban areas, LGBT individuals were accepted. J.K. Rowling did the same with Fantastic Beast and Where to Find them. The reamergence of conservatives and repressions did not happen until the 30's people.

You must of observed first-hand the south american 1920's because that doesn't even sound right... In America gay people only started to emerge once Obama greenlit their marriage rights and thats when the acceptance parade started. There was no point in history that gays were accepted by a general population until recent recently, especially with aids outbreak in the 80's revolving around them. Then again us people in the western world are in a time where boys can be featured on cover girl and the manly caitlyn jenner in disguise can be nominated for woman of the year.

Also this nice franchise was invaded with SJW. Korrasami was shoehorned in as fan service and it escalated from there. There was no need for there to be this much lgbtbqq shoved in, Korrasami is tolerable but I would have never expected a lesson in coming out along with deeming Sozin's most evil runner up act as being not agreeing with a homosexual lifestyle.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Aug 26, 2017 03:43 pm »

Gay people only started to emerge due to Obama? That doesn't even remotely sound correct, but that is neither here, nor there. I am not a fan of the storyline, not because of the subject matter, but the way it is being dealt. It just doesn't flow or come off organically and it does feel more like an exposition piece for issues when it could be so much more.
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Aug 26, 2017 07:55 pm »

Discussed my few cents with someone cause I didn't want to go far off course, but the whole problem is really that Mike (and Bryan) really just want to win popularity points rather than represented the often neglected.  Otherwise they'd avoid generalizations/stereotypes/shortcuts.

Heck, despite making the lead an action girl for supposedly giving more female representations, the Book 2 story Peacekeepers could easily be mistaken as a slam towards strong women.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Aug 26, 2017 11:13 pm »

Dogzee, what's your avatar? It looks like some kind of troll, which is exactly what you're coming off as.  The only thing Sozin did wrong was genocide?  Well, first of all -- that's a pretty big freaking wrong thing to do, so the fact that he was willing to go to that extent should alone be enough to show that he and the Fire Nation in support of him were the bad guys.  But moreover, he continued on in waging a war against the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes to get them to submit against their will.  Regardless of how idealistic his reasons for wanting to expand the Fire Nation were -- which I think is a load of cow honkey, as did Roku -- it was still wrong to commit to a war where undoubtedly many thousands would die in order to force people to submit to Fire Nation control against their will.  That was still wrong, and that still makes the Fire Nation the bad guys.

And no, the Earth Kingdom being a "third world country" and the Water Tribes (who clearly are a whole different race from the Fire Nation, contrary to what you said about there not being different races in ATLA) being barbarians does not justify Sozin waging war against them.  If they don't want the Fire Nation's "help", the Fire Nation has no right to force it on them -- period.  But I don't even agree with the condition of the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes being so much worse than the Fire Nation before the war started.  Where are you getting that from? The one thing we see from pre-war Earth Kingdom is Omashu, and they had that advanced mail delivery system.  What have we seen of pre-war Fire Nation that makes it so much better? Sure, they had refrigerators and stuff by the war's end, but you can't back up a claim that they still had it one hundred years before that.

If you honestly believe that the Fire Nation weren't the bad guys in ATLA, then I would highly, highly encourage you to reevaluate your own values and beliefs, because you don't share it with pretty much everyone else here.  But I do suspect you're just being a troll and are looking to get a rise out of people and are, as Loopy said, just "funnin'".
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 10:44 am by Red Hawk » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #45 on: Aug 27, 2017 03:36 am »

Stay on topic and discuss about the comic. There are other threads that you can carry out the discussion. You may talk via PM provided it is civil.

Reminder that personal attacks are strictly NOT allowed. Debate the facts, NOT the person and what they like.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
dogzee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Aug 27, 2017 07:57 am »

Dogzee, what's your avatar? It looks like some kind of troll, which is exactly what you're coming off as.  The only thing Sozin did wrong was genocide?  Well, first of all -- that's a pretty big freaking wrong thing to do, so the fact that he was willing to go to that extent should alone be enough to show that he and the Fire Nation in support of him were the bad guys.  But moreover, he continued on in waging a war against the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes to get them to submit against their will.  Regardless of how idealistic his reasons for wanting to expand the Fire Nation were -- which I think is a load of cow honkey, as did Roku -- it was still wrong to commit to a war where undoubtedly many thousands would die in order to force people to submit to Fire Nation control against their will.  That was still wrong, and that still makes the Fire Nation the bad guys.

And no, the Earth Kingdom being a "third world country" and the Water Tribes (who clearly are a whole different race from the Fire Nation, contrary to what you said about there not being different races in ATLA) being barbarians does not justify Sozin waging war against them.  If they don't want the Fire Nation's "help", the Fire Nation has no right to force it on them -- period.  But I don't even agree with the condition of the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes being so much worse than the Fire Nation before the war started.  Where are you getting that from? The one thing we see from pre-war Earth Kingdom is Omashu, and they had that advanced mail delivery system.  What have we seen of pre-war Fire Nation that makes it so much better? Sure, they had refrigerators and stuff by the war's end, but you can't back up a claim that they still had it one hundreds before that.

If you honestly believe that the Fire Nation weren't the bad guys in ATLA, then I would highly, highly encourage you to reevaluate your own values and beliefs, because you don't share it with pretty much everyone else here.  But I do suspect you're just being a troll and are looking to get a rise out of people and are, as Loopy said, just "funnin'".
My avatar is a baby dragon from a Doritos commercial for your information:

Anyways, you have your opinion and I have mine. The Fire Nation were not the bad guys at all, they were just loyal patriotic soldiers and your everyday citizens but whatever. Don't know about you but if my country started a war for global conquest and were dominating, pfttt I wouldn't bat an eye, good for us, and that wouldn't make me evil. It's called realisim, people seek power, people can be selfish, people die in wars, survival of the fittest. Sozin was not in the wrong, in his eyes and millions of others.

I never said there weren't different races, you should read more carefully, I said there isn't much diversity besides the bending gene and exclusive eye color. Pre war Earth Kingdom was so pathetic and out of order that Chin the Conquerer almost spread his tyranny across 90% of it until Kyoshi indirectly killed him, and the Earth King at the time sucked more than Hou-Ting. The Earth Kingdom taking advantage of earth delivered mail is no type of progression. The water tribes are the lowest point in civilization until after the war, the south being easily destroyed by just a few battleships from the Fire Nation. Lol if the FN had steam power before starting the war then they also had something as simple as coolers. Their natural element allow them to understand heating and cooling more because they can well control heat... We've already seen them powering things with pure firebending and they obviously have the ability to redirect heat on such a powerful level Sozin could solidify erupting volcanoes and the capital is literally on top of an active volcano which I'm willing to bet is maintained by firebending seeing as how many lava tunnels exist underneath and is seemingly regularly used <------ So if they could maintain volcanic cities and build steam powered ships then icecream was invented long before the end days of the war  Tongue

I don't need any reevaluating but think what you want. I guess Loopy was right in one way, when he said it is fun to "roleplay" living in the Avatarverse and supporting the "villains". What's your opinion on Amon and his revolution?

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 08:02 am by dogzee » Logged
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Aug 27, 2017 11:18 am »

Stay on topic and discuss about the comic. There are other threads that you can carry out the discussion. You may talk via PM provided it is civil.

Reminder that personal attacks are strictly NOT allowed. Debate the facts, NOT the person and what they like.

Fair enough, I made a thread in the ATLA section to continue the discussion since this mainly has to do with the Fire Nation's actions during ATLA.  Thread is here.
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Aug 27, 2017 07:44 pm »

As much as I like Turf Wars, it's not perfect. I do have a gripe with how Kya explained the existence of LGBT people in the Avatarverse though. It seemed a bit "show don't tell" to me. That part in particular had a lot of telling and not enough showing.

Then again, because Nickelodeon wouldn't let Bryke get into too much detail with Korrasami, it seemed like they had to fit a whole TWO SERIES worth of explaining into a few speech bubbles.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 07:47 pm by fraroc » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #49 on: Sep 15, 2017 07:44 am »

So I've just read this comic after waiting sooooooo long to finally get it, and I must say, I unironically liked it. It does not try to reinvent the wheel or lead me to dangerous new directions, it just kinda delivers the TLOK experience and calls it a day. I could almost hear the TLOK soundtrack in my head while reading through the comic, and I read all speech bubbles with the relevant character's voice. Even the LGBTQ stuff was in place because we always had something strange going on in TLOK too, the exact same way they included LGBTQ now.

I only have two annoying things against the comic: everyone is calling out their actions (I had GI Joe flashbacks), and some of the visuals are really out-of-place (Barbed wire and tank traps around the evacuee camp? Why?).

Also, I had one of my best laughs of late when Jet 2.0 showed up Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: