Apr 23, 2017 02:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what "Avatar stuff" did Aang really deal with when he ws a father?  (Read 229 times)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Mar 30, 2017 03:22 pm »

Looking back on Book Two, I'm curious on what exactly made Aang so busy that he supposedly didn't have time for Kya and Bumi. While he is technically a world leader, I'm sure there was general peacetime at least 20 or so years after the war. I'm doubtful there were many criminals out there that the five nation's law enforcements couldn't handle as Aang implies to Toph. The only other thing I can think of is preserving the Air Nomad culture, but the Air Acolytes are most certainly well established at this point in time. I'm pretty sure the culture too is well preserved at this point in time.

Times like these are where I wished we had seen the actual past events Kya and Bumi brought up.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2017 06:27 pm »

I've seen no evidence of it in canon, and the level of stability depicted in The Promise would probably rule it out, but I still like the idea of some elements of the Fire Nation military refusing to leave the Earth Kingdom and setting up as self-sufficient warlords. They could last for decades on a continent the size of the Earth Kingdom, depending on how much of a nuisance they make of themselves.

And, I mean, there have to be a bunch of Hei Bai's out there, mad about their forests being burned down and taking it out on every Jim, Bob, and Sally who happens by.

But mostly I figure Aang spent most of his adult life as a nominal diplomat, having to be part of all international negotiations even if he has nothing to contribute. It would be part of re-establishing the authority of the Avatar (not very successfully, given how Korra is usually treated) and also a reminder to everyone to behave because he's keeping an eye on things.

"Avatar stuff" could have also been code for goofing off with his friends while the wife stayed behind and minded the more troublesome kids. Grin "Hey, Zuko, let's do Spring Break on Kyoshi Island! What? No, I'll just tell Katara it's 'Avatar stuff.' I'll take Tenzin as our alibi and leave him meditating in the hotel the whole time! ...what do you mean, Mai is too paranoid for that to work? What kind of a woman did you marry? ...oh, right, 'used to be Azula's best friend.' I keep forgetting that. Bummer, dude."

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2017 07:51 pm »

I've seen no evidence of it in canon, and the level of stability depicted in The Promise would probably rule it out, but I still like the idea of some elements of the Fire Nation military refusing to leave the Earth Kingdom and setting up as self-sufficient warlords. They could last for decades on a continent the size of the Earth Kingdom, depending on how much of a nuisance they make of themselves.

P'li mentioned being kept by a warlord when she was young. So I think warlords are definitely an issue in the Avatar world, and there was definitely at least one active during Aang's lifetime.

I also agree he probably did diplomatic stuff a lot of the time.

We saw in Book 1 of LOK that he was involved in taking down Yakone. I'm guessing he helped take down any criminals/ groups that required extra power (benders with special powers, for example) but not regular criminals (unless it was for, like, a small village with no police/ guards)

If the Earth Queen came into power during his lifetime, he could have spent some time trying to deal with her. I mean, at some point the walls of Ba Sing Se were reinstated (they were still broken open at the end of ATLA).

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2017 09:35 pm »

Ah, right, I forgot that bit about P'li. Sweet, so there were still Warlords late into Aang's adult life!

And no, I don't consider that a reason to disparage his effectiveness as Avatar. The world is big, and sometimes disloding warlords is delicate work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: