Dec 17, 2017 11:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 0 (0%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 1 (33.3%)
7 - 1 (33.3%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (33.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #15] North and South, Part 3  (Read 3663 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Jan 27, 2017 07:46 pm »

Thread will be unlocked as soon as the comic is released.

Comic Book Resources announced that North and South, Part 2 will be released on April 26 2017. You can pre-order the book on Amazon.

North and South is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. Professional reviews go into this thread. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of other future comics, please see Future Avatar Comics .

The book is out in stores now. Remember, only post if you've read the comic. All forum rules apply, as usual.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2017 04:04 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2017 03:28 am »

So North and South part 3 should be available in comic book stores now, and thus we also have a spoiler review of the new book:
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/north-and-south-part-3-spoiler-review/

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017 05:24 pm »

If this is the last AtLA comic, at least the final panel is a good point to end the series on.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017 10:37 pm »

For a second there, I was worried Zuko got chi-blocked for real.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017 11:30 pm »

That was a'ight.  It carried forward the themes from previous issues and had some nice moments.  Kind of anticlimactic, but I think it was appropriate for the story.  My favorite comic storyline remains The Rift, methinks.
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017 01:46 pm »

Hmmm... Overall, The Rift's final part was much more engaging. I don't have the drive to do a full review of this one. Honestly, it's probably the worst of all the North and South comics individually for me. (Or maybe the second part is...? I've forgotten it at this point.) Like Loopy said, though, the final panel is really nice! Sokka was good this part too.

It looks like this trilogy will probably not be the last one, but it will be a while before we see more ATLA comics.

Asker: "Are the Korra comics replacing the The Last Airbender comics?"

Dark Horse: "'Not exactly. ATLA will likely be back, but we are going to focus on Korra for a while."

Strangely, I do feel sorta happy that they may come back. I'm always holding out for another Rift, hah. Even better if the next trilogy is strong in all three installments, if that is possible... I just want the Gaang to actually travel on Appa on an adventure again. I guess it doesn't need to be on Appa, but I want more traveling around. One of the things I liked about The Search was that the locations were (compared to the other trilogies) more varied, and distinct from the show. Being stuck in the same place for all three installments leaves me fatigued after a while. The Search, The Rift, and Smoke and Shadow were all more interesting visually to me, but that isn't the fault of Gurihiru. I did like the way the snowy mountains were coloured this part.

I guess the trilogy ended on a big "eh" for me. Tongue
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017 10:16 pm »

I've been thinking about it, and I think a lot of the problem was that the various conflicts set up in the story weren't actually conflicts. The only two real ones were the crazy Southern Extremist Guy's drive to mess up everyone he didn't like, and Katara's lack of desire to do Aang's character arc from The Northern Air Temple. ("No, I won't do it! NAT wasn't one of the greatest episodes in the first place, Aang already did it over again for The Rift, and Malina isn't even as interesting as Teo. And no one cares about Teo anymore.") All the rest of the seeming conflicts- the rift between the Northerners and the Southerners, the modernization of the South making it lose part of its identity, the foreign influence from the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation- weren't actually meant to be resolved or even really addressed. They were there to do LoK worldbuilding, showing explicit clues for how things ended up as they did for the beginning of Book Spirits. Not that foreshadowing LoK should take priority over telling a satisfying story, but it would explain how so much could go unaddressed by the end.

I might be wrong. It could just be clumsy storytelling. But I want to give Gene the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Now, the subplot with the two little girls? That was clumsy storytelling.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017 02:12 am »

Maliq doesn't even appear in the third part,  does he?  That's a conflict that's completely dropped.

I did find it gratuitous that they found an excuse to shoehorn Zuko into the story.  Yes Gene,  I know you're a Zuko fanboy, but would it've killed you leave him out of a story he had no place in?  Actually,  I know it wouldn't have,  because he did leave Zuko out of The Rift.  I think the biggest problem this last part has is a lack of focus.  Which is a shame, because I liked the first two parts a lot.  For all the problems I had with Smoke and Shadow,  I would at least say it had a good focus.

So,  with the ATLA comics concluded for the foreseeable future,  I wonder how I could rank them...The Rift and The Search are easily my favorites.  They're interesting, they're exciting,  and I think they largely accomplish what they set out to do. After that...there's enough enjoyable stuff to me in The Promise for me to put it in the middle. Rounding out the bottom...I want to put North and South above Smoke and Shadow because I really enjoyed the first half or so,  but the ending was just such a dud. As much as I might dislike the love triangle,  other than that the story was focused and there was a pretty cool fight with Zuko and Azula at the end.  So...tied for worst, or most disappointing, I guess.
Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017 08:00 pm »

Maliq doesn't even appear in the third part,  does he?  That's a conflict that's completely dropped.

I did find it gratuitous that they found an excuse to shoehorn Zuko into the story.  Yes Gene,  I know you're a Zuko fanboy, but would it've killed you leave him out of a story he had no place in?  Actually,  I know it wouldn't have,  because he did leave Zuko out of The Rift.  I think the biggest problem this last part has is a lack of focus.  Which is a shame, because I liked the first two parts a lot.  For all the problems I had with Smoke and Shadow,  I would at least say it had a good focus.

So,  with the ATLA comics concluded for the foreseeable future,  I wonder how I could rank them...The Rift and The Search are easily my favorites.  They're interesting, they're exciting,  and I think they largely accomplish what they set out to do. After that...there's enough enjoyable stuff to me in The Promise for me to put it in the middle. Rounding out the bottom...I want to put North and South above Smoke and Shadow because I really enjoyed the first half or so,  but the ending was just such a dud. As much as I might dislike the love triangle,  other than that the story was focused and there was a pretty cool fight with Zuko and Azula at the end.  So...tied for worst, or most disappointing, I guess.
I definitely agree that those were the two worst avatar comics, the only difference is that Smoke and Shadow could have been so much better unlike North and South which i never expected to be that memorable.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2017 08:25 pm »

I definitely in the minority here as a fan of the comics but North and South is probably my least favorite. I like it but I love the other comics like The Search.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2017 03:47 pm »

So I've just made my way through this comic, and the only thing that now concerns me is... where did Maliq go? I swear these industrialists in the Avatarverse must suffer from some sort of plot-induced disease that makes them turn evil then disappear. Just what's wrong with these guys? I'm asking!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2017 09:46 am »

What happened to Maliq, I don't think we want to know what happened to Maliq.

Well a ho hum ending, it was alright. Great to see Zuko again, giving what he did last time he was here, it was understanding why a lot of people don't like him, his past will always find him.

So what happened, they are building the new settlement, and a lot of people still pissed.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2017 05:47 pm »

Yup. And they'll stay pissed for sixty years until they get to fight a two-minute civil war.

That's the story. The whole thing.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2017 02:53 am »

Err, Katara could have easily waterbent an ice bridge to save Gilak's life but when potential step-mother is in trouble, then her courage kicks in? Okay then.

I was expecting more grave circles beside Kya's. She couldn't have been the only one to have died...? It makes no sense that the two kids are motivated to bend 'cos a lady they've never met sacrificed her life to keep the art of bending alive. *shrug*

The ending is neither here nor there. They had a discussion, got ambushed, someone died, others got saved, and then everyone has a meal together. Umm... It's quite unsatisfying.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2017 05:24 pm »

I have a strong feeling that this was not the planned ending.

I mean, come on, the setup was all right there for a Zombie Kya to suddenly burst from her grave, summoned back to unlife by Maliq's ReNu-U Juice, leading into the next trilogy, "Zombies vs Benders!"

I guess we can blame LoK for denying us that storyline forever.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2017 04:37 am »

Yeah, the ending was kinda weird. I think that was the point when GY really ran out of juice and just rolled with whatever he had in mind.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2017 06:29 pm »

Joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised if those last couple of pages were left to Gurihiru to do whatever they wanted.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2017 11:09 pm »

I didn't really care for the PIS parts in the comic, such as Gilak being able to carry Hakoda out of a room and his team capturing the Earth King while Team Avatar was right there. This same group that went through dozens of soldiers, ones that could bend and yet had a hard time against Gilak's ragtag group of rebels. One of the subtle things I liked was the arrival of Zuko and the Earth King. Each one took an airship, though Zuko's aircraft is shown to be superior. The Earth Kingdom is still trying to catch up and yet it never does until Kuvira takes over several decades later. The Water Tribes seemed to regain their status in the world, but the Earth Kingdom never really advances as much. Which begs the question of why it seemed to be regressive in comparison to the other nations. Was it Kuei's poor policies or did his daughter take over at a young age and just not care for modernizing her nation?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2017 06:53 pm »

I've been thinking about it, and I think a lot of the problem was that the various conflicts set up in the story weren't actually conflicts. The only two real ones were the crazy Southern Extremist Guy's drive to mess up everyone he didn't like, and Katara's lack of desire to do Aang's character arc from The Northern Air Temple. ("No, I won't do it! NAT wasn't one of the greatest episodes in the first place, Aang already did it over again for The Rift, and Malina isn't even as interesting as Teo. And no one cares about Teo anymore.") All the rest of the seeming conflicts- the rift between the Northerners and the Southerners, the modernization of the South making it lose part of its identity, the foreign influence from the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation- weren't actually meant to be resolved or even really addressed. They were there to do LoK worldbuilding, showing explicit clues for how things ended up as they did for the beginning of Book Spirits. Not that foreshadowing LoK should take priority over telling a satisfying story, but it would explain how so much could go unaddressed by the end.

I might be wrong. It could just be clumsy storytelling. But I want to give Gene the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Now, the subplot with the two little girls? That was clumsy storytelling.

Prompted by an ask on tumblr, I did a one-sitting reread of the whole trilogy, and identified what I think was the big disconnect. For those interested, here's the link.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2017 03:54 pm »

Prompted by an ask on tumblr, I did a one-sitting reread of the whole trilogy, and identified what I think was the big disconnect. For those interested, here's the link.

Y'know, after re-reading the comic a few times and checking your opinion on it, I'm growing increasingly sure that the whole modernism/traditionalism/whateverism conflict is a Red Herring and the real plot is about how things change (one way or another) as time moves on. This is the overarcing idea with the advancements in the SWT and this is what supposedly connects the sub-plots, only that some of these sub-plots make the change under a very small amount of time. "As time moves on X becomes Y" sounds a lot more sensible theme for the comic and can be applied to everything in it. Such, I don't think that GY really wanted to show us details but more like draw up a bigger picture - this is why some characters and sub-plots seem simple and shallow.

Tho, I'm having this idea after realizing that Lin's real problem might be a chronic case of attention-seeking and related mommy issues, so maybe I'm in the wrong here  Cheesy.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2017 06:00 pm »

I don't if it's that simple, as Katara's problem was explicitly tied to nostalgia for a time before her mother died. I dunno, maybe that matter is muddying a "things change" story, but I think it elevates it to a grief spinoff.

Either way, though, I don't think the big plot with Maliq and Malina and Gilak fits the "things change" idea. They're all talking about colonization and globalization and selling oil and all that political stuff.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am »

Either way, though, I don't think the big plot with Maliq and Malina and Gilak fits the "things change" idea.

They do as both change over time, like Maliq going "well-intended entrepreneur" -> "progressive jerk" -> "AWOL dude", and Gilak going "Hakoda's brother-in-arms" -> "muh-traditions-antagonist" -> "villain with a point" -> "BBEG guy". Katara's story is effectively being sad about change and that her mother went "good mom" -> "dead mom" (and this gives her enough emotional fuel to project her problems into the greater plot).

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2017 06:03 pm »

By that logic, every story that has events and/or characters that progress has a theme of "things change." Tongue

However, I'd argue that Maliq and Gilak did not change within the scope of the story; Katara's and Hakoda's perceptions of theme changed, but not any of those characters. And death isn't so much a "things change" matter as a "death" matter, which is big enough to stand on its own.

Basically, I think you're over-generalizing on the path to this "things change" theme, and the resolution of the story - where Maliq is still a forgotten villain, while Katara gets over her mother's death and then simultaneously works to bring about the return of Waterbending while also being against drilling for South Pole oil - doesn't really address that very neatly. So there's still plenty of room for criticism.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #23 on: Jul 19, 2017 03:53 am »

By that logic, every story that has events and/or characters that progress has a theme of "things change." Tongue

That's true, but it is the central theme here.

Basically, I think you're over-generalizing on the path to this "things change" theme

I'm not saying that GY tried with this one, if you know what I mean  Wink. I agree with your assessment that GY has burnt out creatively when it comes to ATLA.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: