Mar 26, 2017 10:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 0 (0%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 1 (100%)
7 - 0 (0%)
6 - 0 (0%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #14] North and South, Part 2  (Read 659 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Jan 27, 2017 07:37 pm »

Comic Book Resources announced that North and South, Part 2 will be released on January 25 2017. You can pre-order the book on Amazon.

North and South is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. Professional reviews go into this thread. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of North and South, Parts 2 & 3 and other future comics, please see North and South, Part 1, 2 & 3 – Speculations thread and Future Avatar Comics respectively.

The book is out in stores now. Remember, only post if you've read the comic. All forum rules apply, as usual.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017 07:38 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017 04:25 pm »

I picked it up the other day, read it.  I was impressed with Part 1, and part 2 didn't disappoint. Smiley I felt that how they followed up on Hakoda and Malina being in a relationship was handled in a mature and interesting way.  Basically, Sokka is more ok with it than Katara, who has trouble accepting it.  But Hakoda and Katara have a very heartfelt discussion where Hakoda tries to relate how Katara feels about Aang.  Very well done stuff, I feel.

Toph and Aang show show up for more supporting roles.  Aang's involvement seems more minimal -- this is about Katara's development, not his.  Toph has a couple great lines that definitely made me chuckle.  It's interesting to see that Aang is now definitely taller than Katara, and Toph looks taller and more grown up now too.  I'm sure there's been signs of this in past comics too, but it's always nice to get the sense that time is passing and the characters are growing up as the comics progress.

Malina and Maliq make for an interesting duo.  There are some revelations about them, and while the revelations are a bit negative, their actions make them a bit more sympathetic and relatable.  Well, Malina's do.  Maliq's actions...make him seem a bit too dumb to live.  But kind of in a good way? As in, it comes from his beliefs and convictions.  It's all interesting rather than annoying, is what I'm trying to say.

The action is fun, still fairly low-key.  At this point I doubt Part 3 will have anything near as cool as Aang using a giant rock golem to brawl with Old Iron, but there's still both fun and tense moments.  There's a moment I won't spoil that had me on the edge of my seat -- I will say it's kind of a rehash of a moment from ATLA, but it was effective in the context of the comic nonetheless.  All the action basicall focuses on Gilak's rebels attacking during a festival, and I'll also say that the way they get into the festival is kind of silly, but not a huge issue.  And Toph again proves herself to be the MVP of the series when it comes to fun action moments.

So yeah, definitely worth picking up and reading.  Can't wait for part 3!
FireNationPhoenix
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artist, Writer, Animator, Poet, Actress, Critic

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2017 05:46 pm »

I thought North and South was so much better so far than Smoke and Shadow. I love how the books are finally getting into the info that ties with Korra.

Risen From the Ashes of Fire
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017 07:21 pm »

Finally? The Air Acolytes don't count?

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017 07:42 pm »

Or the tension over the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2017 08:56 am »

I've finally read the comic after almost losing it to the mailing service, and I must say, I'm fairly unimpressed. I guess North & South is supposed to focus on the characters, rather than the conflict, because the latter is just... bad. Like, really, really bad. Not only that, but the character development and the conflict unintentionally(?) draw an uneasy parallel with "acceptance" and "inequality", completely undermining Maliq's point. The plot is getting really confusing as it progresses, and I must admit, I simply gave up on making sense out of it. So this left me with the characters, and to be honest this works much better. I really liked the Katara / Malina / Hakoda dynamic, and the Hakoda / Gilak face-off at the end was pretty cool too. I'm also looking forward to see more of Unnamed Officer Lady Smiley.

Overall, it was okay, if a little rollercoaster-y. I would give it 7.5 out of 10.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2017 10:19 pm »

I read it, and like most part 2 it was all right. I mean the problem with this story line is, we seen it already in Korra, so whatever.

Nothing really surprised, Gilak is typical Korra villain, he has some kind of points but quickly devalued because he is a psychopath. Just like ever Korra villain.

I did suspect Maliq was more of an antagonist than he lead on, but didn't expect him to be this stupid. What is Maliq thinking just talking that way to the whole crowd, who does it? The only people that would do that are pro wrestling bad guys to get heat. He is like Tarloq and his police force helping Amon recruit non bendings with his action, it is the same thing here.

Great to see Aang and Toph here. I wish they would do more, but that is okay.

So Malina is actually good but used to be bad, but Katara to my surprise she has no issues with her dad dating in general, she just doesn't trust Malina. Though Katara really after the whole thing with Zuko, I think by now she would realize people can change, maybe it is just the shock on what of believes Malina used to have.

So Part 3 has a lot to wrap up, and Zuko is coming back.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017 06:34 pm »

Though Katara really after the whole thing with Zuko, I think by now she would realize people can change, maybe it is just the shock on what of believes Malina used to have.

An AtLA character learn and grow based on their experiences in the cartoon?!

What have you been smoking?!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: