Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking back  (Read 4751 times)
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2018 03:27 pm »

Like "The Great Divide". Literally nothing in that episode ever comes back again.

The opposing preferences of the Water Siblings kinda do come back again, mostly in The Runaway and to a lesser extent in the very next episode, The Storm (The Fortuneteller, The Painted Lady, and The Puppetmaster are also minor examples).

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2018 03:59 pm »

I watch The Great Divide just for the animation of the Zhang tribe's retelling of the legend.

Maybe I should start a petition to have "plot" removed from all stories until people realize it's not the only thing that matters. I once got a review on a chapter in one of my fanfics that criticized it for not containing enough plot elements to make it unskippable, and I had to explain that it was by design, and if the reader didn't get enough out of being with the characters or having the story's themes and motifs reinforced, then (s)he would be better served by reading something else.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am »

Yeah, there is, or should be, a lot more to a story than just the forward thrust of the narrative.  But different strokes for different folks.  Smiley

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2018 06:05 am »

if it's just, only and purely plot you want, you can go read flow charts. i like stories.

that said i really do like clever writing where seemingly pointless events and details come back half a season later and make me go OH SNAP! and things that could have been used like that but weren't sometimes leave me hanging.

it can be something someone said, some clothes someone wore, even the way a character eats a sandwich.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2018 06:43 pm »

Oh, yeah, that's always fun. I love that. It's why I think Dirk Gentley is the greatest work of Douglas Adams, and why Terry Pratchett's better books transcend their comedy.

It's just not the only thing. And overdoing it can, like all stuff, lead to a plethora of lesser examples.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: