Jun 25, 2017 05:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking back  (Read 1363 times)
Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« on: Jan 16, 2017 07:38 pm »

Has anyone here gone back recently to view what the fandom generally thought about the show as it was airing, by viewing the episode discussions? What are your overall impressions? Lets discuss that here. Did you see your younger self make some questionable posts? Have your views generally stayed the same or changed?

I haven't been on this site during the original show's airing (I was during Korra, though), and one thing I've noticed to an overwhelming extent was the fact that people were upset, or giving negative reviews because shipping moments weren't going their way. That was a major factor in the show for them. I find that very bizarre. I understand shipping to be a very fun thing to do and keep an eye out for, but being upset or saying the episode wasn't done right because there wasn't enough "shipping" going on, or they saw it happening differently, sometimes between characters that showed no signs of being together at ALL, and somehow it's a major factor in their eyes as to if the episode(s) or show is any good.. it's very weird to me lol.

What about you guys?
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017 10:24 am »

I arrived during the break between the second and third season. My thoughts on pretty much everything are still exactly the same.

I don't remember seeing much of the shipping wars here, but then again I was never interested in romance to begin with and therefore just ignored the Shipping Thread altogether.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017 03:04 pm »

I too was late for ATLA (joined some time after the TLA movie-whose-name-must-not-be-spoken), but I dug through almost all of the ATLA shipping threads back then. Shipping was, like, half the fun for me. I hold fond memories from the various shipping threads, including the one that ends with my official couple posting spree... ah, good times  Smiley!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017 03:19 pm »

Oh, I hope my original post wasn't knocking shippers! While I don't do it myself, I understand the fun that could be had in it, it's just in the episode discussion when people would be upset at a perfectly good episode, they even acknowledge the episode is great, but then mark it down as needs to be improved or was expecting better because "not enough shipping". Just seems weird to me lol. The show didn't take shipping seriously enough for people to judge it based on that type of thing, it was more story oriented.
Force
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017 10:02 pm »

The thing I notice looking back that really stuck out is how angry everyone was about Zuko's decision at the end of season 2. In hindsight, it was a terrific choice by the writers to make Zuko's arc more believable and complete, he had to fail and make a big mistake that was entirely his choice in order for the story to really work as well as it did. But back then people couldn't see where the story was going and thought they were just "dragging it out" or whatever. I re-watch the series every year and more and more the excellence of the long-form storytelling stands out to me.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017 07:38 pm »

I didn't join until Book Fire was half over in the United States, but so I saw both some of the nastiest shipwar stuff and also when the people here who just did it for fun staged a less-than-hostile takeover and turned it into a hangout with meandering discussions that eventually would work their way back to shipping.

I have to agree, though, that the Avatar Fandom's focus on shipping is weird. I've been in older fandoms and new fandoms, and while (as one might expect) the newer fandoms are more focused on shipping than the older ones, I've never seen a fandom so focused on the shipping to the exclusion of all else (an outside observer to this fandom would never know that AtLA has the best martial arts sequences in all of animation) as this one. It absolutely doesn't surprise me that some people were rating every single episode based on whether Katara looked at or thought of Zuko. I don't know how that kind of fandom formed, but it did, and it forever changed the franchise itself. Before, the shipping was done by the fans and the story did its own thing; by LoK, characters were being created and inserted into the story solely to give the shippers something new to play with.

It's bizarre.

I'm glad I was able to bear witness, even if I couldn't see the beginning.

Anyway, for the most part, my opinion and reaction to AtLA haven't changed (see my Retrospective in my sig), but nowadays I tend to wonder "What does Mai think of this?" more often. I also stand by all of my old posts except for any that might still get me in trouble.

Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017 10:20 pm »

Loopy, you completely nailed my thoughts on the shipping situation, simply because I have no idea why Avatar was the one to bear fruit to it all
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2017 07:17 pm »

I joined shortly after the finale in the US. So, I was only around for the afterglow. It was glorious enough. I was here when the movie was announced... and after that happened. I was here when Korra was announced... and after that happened. Good times. Lot's of speculation, lots of hype, and lots of disappointment, but good times.  Smiley

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2017 01:41 am »

I recall dipping my toes in the shipping wars back when I joined in the middle of Book Two. I had a number of justifications for why I supported Zutara at the time. "Zuko and Katara have good chemistry, blah blah."

In hindsight, and to be perfectly frank... I just strongly identified with Zuko, thought he was a cool character, and shipped him with the most attractive female character Katara (at least, until Azula appeared) because I didn't think Kataang was ever going to happen. Why? Aang was younger and shorter and too "nice," and I guess I subconsciously bought into the idea that shorter, younger guys don't get girls.  Roll Eyes Ah... the logic of a teenager.

Looking back beyond shipping, though.

I remember needing a month to come to terms with the Book Two finale, but that was freaking devastating at the time. Literally everything I predicted would happen was dashed. Zutara? Nope. Aang beating Azula? Nope. Zuko joining the gAang? Nope. The beginning of invading the Fire Nation? Nope. Iroh joining the gAang? Nope. Aang mastering the Avatar State? NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Gah! I want to watch the show again, but it irritates me no Blu-ray has been released for ATLA yet. It's been 12 years!

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017 06:31 pm »

In hindsight, and to be perfectly frank... I just strongly identified with Zuko, thought he was a cool character, and shipped him with the most attractive female character Katara (at least, until Azula appeared) because I didn't think Kataang was ever going to happen.

This is similar to why I ship Maikka.

I strongly identify with Mai and Sokka is bae, as the kids say.

For some reason people assume it's the reverse.

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2017 09:36 pm »

Gah! I want to watch the show again, but it irritates me no Blu-ray has been released for ATLA yet. It's been 12 years!

Because it's been over a decade and Nickelodeon still has no idea what it had or how to use it. Even the "special edditions" didn't have any extra features aside from some swanky boxart -according to some. They didn't even clean up the animation in the first episodes of Book One. They literally took the same old disc copies and put them in a fancy box, expecting me to pay them again for the privilage of looking at an awkwardly-drawn Aang everytime I wanted to watch Zuko blow it in Ba Sing Se again.

And forget the Blu-ray. The DVDs are fine. WHERE'S MUH DAMN SOUNDTRACK, NICK?  Angry

In hindsight, and to be perfectly frank... I just strongly identified with Zuko, thought he was a cool character, and shipped him with the most attractive female character Katara (at least, until Azula appeared) because I didn't think Kataang was ever going to happen.

This is similar to why I ship Maikka.

I strongly identify with Mai and Sokka is bae, as the kids say.

For some reason people assume it's the reverse.

Must be some kind of temporal aftereffect...

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Fig
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2017 11:02 am »

I joined sometime in the middle of book two myself, but really didn't get into it till after they came out in DVD where I could watch them over and over and wallow in their splendor.   Grin

As for a sound track, I got my husband to download from the videos on youtube all the songs I really liked and he turned them into a playlist for me. I'll ask him later what program he used if you are interested.

"...you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see." - Uncle Iroh
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2017 09:27 pm »

I have various programs that can do that, but I have trouble finding a full list of high-quality sources. The playlist I assembled has some nice clean tracks but then some tracks with lesser sound.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2017 03:53 am »

And forget the Blu-ray. The DVDs are fine. WHERE'S MUH DAMN SOUNDTRACK, NICK?  Angry

there's no point in blue ray if they don't actually add new data...

I joined sometime in the middle of book two myself, but really didn't get into it till after they came out in DVD where I could watch them over and over and wallow in their splendor.   Grin

As for a sound track, I got my husband to download from the videos on youtube all the songs I really liked and he turned them into a playlist for me. I'll ask him later what program he used if you are interested.

something like this for example. i'm sure some intern at Nick can spend a few weeks scraping Youtube and tracking down license holders.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I need you to let me touch it.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017 11:14 pm »

I joined during Book 2 fresh in for all the Jetko - and yeah all the shipping took me by surprise. I was familiar with the concept from Harry Potter fandom. But I wasn't aware people took it as seriously. Most Harry/Draco shippers certainly didn't, for example.  But I think with the rise of convention appearances and web media (then social media, when LOK came out) the creators got feedback by the boatloads in sooner and quicker and in return felt obligated to do things while still sticking to their original plan.  It's both good and bad, in my opinion.

At least I've been able to get all of A:TLA and TLOK in HD via ITunes!

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017 05:32 pm »

Wow, I would have thought that the Harry Potter fandom was where most of the AtLA-era shippers would have first bloodied their swords.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: