Dec 17, 2017 01:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar comics to end or take a hiatus due to Korra comics?  (Read 4322 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #50 on: Oct 19, 2017 06:03 am »

Please stay on topic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2017 07:50 pm »

So, if I want to check out Faith Erin Hicks's writing, what would people recommend? I see she has some webcomics and graphic novels.

However, just based on this (specifically, the panel where she wants Sokka to be her TV boyfriend Cheesy), I'm hopeful.

So I finally got around to checking out some of her writing. I got Friends With Boys and the Nameless City trilogy-thus-far from the library.

My takeaway from the former is that we hopefully won't have to deal with shoehorned shipping nonsense, as FWB is a rare Coming Of Age story that skipped the whole First Kiss trope. My takeaway from the latter is that we'll never have to deal with any Elections Are Magic TM nonsense, or stories promoting imperial colonialism, again; the Nameless City is everything Yu Dao should have been, and it's themes are very Avatar.

hmweasley
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2017 09:26 am »

I've never read anything by Faith Erin Hicks, but I've heard a ton of great things about her books. It's enough that I feel much more hopeful about future Avatar comics than I did before hearing the news.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2017 06:39 pm »

So, if I want to check out Faith Erin Hicks's writing, what would people recommend? I see she has some webcomics and graphic novels.

However, just based on this (specifically, the panel where she wants Sokka to be her TV boyfriend Cheesy), I'm hopeful.

So I finally got around to checking out some of her writing. I got Friends With Boys and the Nameless City trilogy-thus-far from the library.

My takeaway from the former is that we hopefully won't have to deal with shoehorned shipping nonsense, as FWB is a rare Coming Of Age story that skipped the whole First Kiss trope. My takeaway from the latter is that we'll never have to deal with any Elections Are Magic TM nonsense, or stories promoting imperial colonialism, again; the Nameless City is everything Yu Dao should have been, and it's themes are very Avatar.

Oh Yu Dao plot line... It's like a terrible fanfiction put to print or if someone wanted to riff off the Abrudged Series' format unironically.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2017 11:25 am »

Oh yeah, I remember that FWB not having romance surprised me at first (as I was so used to see it in similar material), but in retrospect it really helped the story breathe. To include it would've really taken too much time in a relatively short story, good call on Faith.

I'm getting the first volume of The Nameless City for Christmas, so to hear that even you* like it is really getting my hopes up about it and the New Avatar Comics... The Hicks/Wartman's run? The (Hopefully) Good Comics? Should we come up with a fan name for it?  Tongue

*Not that I think you're a tough crowd Loopy, but you're pretty uncompromising. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2017 11:32 am by Helldars » Logged

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Dec 11, 2017 01:20 am »

I stopped properly reading the ATLA comics around the time Smoke and Shadow came out, but if these look good I'll dip back into the series.

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #56 on: Dec 11, 2017 03:30 pm »

Is this a continuation of Yang's work, or a straight-up reboot?

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #57 on: Dec 11, 2017 04:15 pm »

Is this a continuation of Yang's work, or a straight-up reboot?

I hope it's a reboot. I won't touch them otherwise unless the stories are extremely good. If they come in issue form and it comes out as good, I'm going buy issue by issue. It's extremely strange that the Boom Comics Power Rangers comics have been better than ATLA's so far, even given it having a modern-esque setting instead of the 90s. And given how Power Rangers has screwed up as a franchise, especially over the last year. 

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm »

I'm expecting a continuation, as Hicks is friends with Yang, and the Maiko breakup has been an ongoing storyline that's had the whole fandom talking, so there's good incentive to give it spectacular resolution. I don't expect many direct continuations aside from that, but I'm really just guessing.

*Not that I think you're a tough crowd Loopy, but you're pretty uncompromising. Wink

I consider this a compliment, so thanks! Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: