Apr 27, 2017 01:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar comics to end or take a hiatus due to Korra comics?  (Read 1059 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Dec 27, 2016 03:44 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/811636610093711360

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2016 04:04 pm »

Well I guess that means I can just ignore DarkHorse's Avatar comics for the foreseeable future if all we are getting is Korra.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016 05:36 pm »

I find their choice of words curious, yet kind of funny at the same time.

@SethSBuchanan we may do more Avatar in the future, but I think we're going to mostly focus on building up Korra for a while.

There's 4 seasons, to ATLA's 3. And when I finished ATLA, I felt like there were things that needed to be answered, that only the show's creators could "answer", like Zuko's mom, and how the peace was going to work.

I mean, it makes business sense, and the ATLA comics always suffered from the problem of, "Oh GEE, I wonder if Zuko's going to end up EVIL! Oh wait - there he is in TLOK Book 3..." But I don't know if Korra as an individual character needs building up really.

See the bitter remnants, milling around the corpse of a dead god.
Bled dry man, transfusion shy, blood critic
It is what it is, and it will never be what it wasn’t.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writing
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016 06:07 pm »

@SethSBuchanan we may do more Avatar in the future, but I think we're going to mostly focus on building up Korra for a while.

This all really depends on how well the LOK comics sell.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2016 08:02 pm »

I mean, it makes business sense, and the ATLA comics always suffered from the problem of, "Oh GEE, I wonder if Zuko's going to end up EVIL! Oh wait - there he is in TLOK Book 3..." But I don't know if Korra as an individual character needs building up really.

I don't see it making business sense. They are handicapping themselves by the fact that they are firmly splitting the two series in their mind. Calling Aang's comics "Avatar" and calling the upcoming Korra comics "Korra." Avatar reaches a larger audience by virtue of someone typing in a search engine and maybe, just maybe, getting the Aang comics in their search. You get less by searching for Korra.

AtLA answered or had a sense of finality to its ending: All will be well.
LoK just brought forth further questions with all the solutions ranging from laughter to barely mediocre.

Korra DOES need building up as a character. But the trend they went and go with Korra is to break her down and beat her up each session.
Antiyonder
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2016 08:28 pm »

There's 4 seasons, to ATLA's 3. And when I finished ATLA, I felt like there were things that needed to be answered, that only the show's creators could "answer", like Zuko's mom, and how the peace was going to work.

Honestly the only real problem with mentioning Ursa in the finale arguably is that the question of he whereabouts is brought up in such a dramatic fashion.  Heck it was even admitted that the whole "Where's my mother?" bit was going to be followed in the ending.

I think if they felt the need to acknowledge Zuko wanting to find his mom without the payoff, they could have had him bringing up the intent to look for her in a more relaxed like when the Gaang's hanging out at the tea shop and someone asks Zuko what his plans are beyond serving as the new Fire Lord.

Some writers could make it work by better executing the concept of "focusing on the journey rather than the destination".  Problem with material past Sozin's Comet was a lack of people on staff who had the authority to deliver criticism.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2016 05:04 am »

As someone who has zero interest in the Korra comics, this saddens me. Oh well, I will be glad of what we got.

Did you miss me?
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2016 01:36 am »

I thought they would do more Aang comics before Korra so that the ATLA related questions Korra created would be answered before going for Korra related questions that Korra also created.
Oh well

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2017 04:22 pm »

There's no reason one needs to go on hiatus for the sake of the other, since it's different writer and artist teams, so Dark Horse must not have confidence that the brand can support two titles at a time.

I wonder if that's because the audience is skewing young, or if sales in general are down.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2017 08:19 pm »

There's no reason one needs to go on hiatus for the sake of the other, since it's different writer and artist teams, so Dark Horse must not have confidence that the brand can support two titles at a time.

I wonder if that's because the audience is skewing young, or if sales in general are down.
What do you think tweet means for the TLA comics? When one says "we may do more in the future" that could go either way but as you said "There's no reason one needs to go on hiatus for the sake of the other".
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2017 08:28 pm by Avatar Symbolism Fan » Logged
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2017 10:03 pm »

I don't think Dark Horse or Mike and Bryan really understand their audience for the Legend of Korra comic. The main problem with marketing Legend of Korra at this point is that its audience is used to receiving it for free because the last two seasons of the series aired online. I also feel like the marketing for Legend of Korra is to manga readers, many of whom probably use a mix of legal and illegal sources. Korra is probably going to be more expensive than their usual fair, and I predict a lot of people reading it through online sources.   

I don't think the Legend of Korra graphic novels are going to sell all that well personally.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017 04:31 pm »

What do you think tweet means for the TLA comics? When one says "we may do more in the future" that could go either way but as you said "There's no reason one needs to go on hiatus for the sake of the other".

Hard to say without knowing the reasoning. Even if Gene Yang and/or Gurihiru were busy with other stuff, Dark Horse could just get a new writer and/or artist. So there's a will not to do more AtLA comics for now, for whatever reason. Theoretically, if the Korra comics do well, then Dark Horse would just continue with that and never get back to AtLA. On the other hand, if the Korra comics do poorly, then there's no guarantee AtLA could come back, because if slipping sales are the problem, then they might just choose to let the whole line die.

If they just like having Gene Yang do the books, then he might never get back to them, because he has both his creator-owned stuff and a new Superman comic he's doing for DC, plus that Genius Grant he got that might mean he no longer has any need for Licensed Avatar Comics Moolah. (Which would make the Genius Grants my new favorite cause. Cheesy)

And then there's the possibility that the delay has a reasonable cause and Dark Horse does have the intention to get back to AtLA comics some day, but by the time they do so, enough time will have passed that no one cares anymore.

So I guess I'm saying there's a lot of room for bad things to happen, but it's all just speculation and we might be worrying over nothing.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017 08:10 pm »

I'd rather them reboot the Promise and scrap that terrible fanfic that is the current line.  I don't believe any of it can be redeemed because it's poor writing and execution that kills it.  And am I the only one who preferred the mystery instead of having those questions answered in such a bad way?
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017 08:18 pm by ByStorm » Logged

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017 06:49 pm »

Alleluia, brother!

If I were in charge of the Avatar comics (let's say that an asteroid hit the earth and wiped out the exact pattern of people required for me to inherit full ownership of the franchise while not also destroying most of the people who would actually buy Avatar comics), I'd do a hard reboot disguised as a soft reboot. I'd do a time-skip, never reference any of the Dark Horse comics, and then slowly sneak in details that contradict those stories. Then, after a few years, I'd casually do some flashback stories that completely crowd out the Dark Horse stuff. Then a year later on Twitter (Twitter also survived the asteroid BTW) I'd admit that the stuff isn't canon anymore, but it's also still canon but a lower level of canon in which ideas from it might still be canon until contradicted.

Then the fans would fight each other over figuring out what exactly is still canon while I make my escape.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017 09:16 am »

Alleluia, brother!

If I were in charge of the Avatar comics (let's say that an asteroid hit the earth and wiped out the exact pattern of people required for me to inherit full ownership of the franchise while not also destroying most of the people who would actually buy Avatar comics), I'd do a hard reboot disguised as a soft reboot. I'd do a time-skip, never reference any of the Dark Horse comics, and then slowly sneak in details that contradict those stories. Then, after a few years, I'd casually do some flashback stories that completely crowd out the Dark Horse stuff. Then a year later on Twitter (Twitter also survived the asteroid BTW) I'd admit that the stuff isn't canon anymore, but it's also still canon but a lower level of canon in which ideas from it might still be canon until contradicted.

Then the fans would fight each other over figuring out what exactly is still canon while I make my escape.

I love that synopsis of your events. I'd be far less....forgiving. I'd just soft reboot it from the get go and tell them to deal with it. Then push it to a lower canon like you did, but it be an alternate universe. The new canon would take some aspects from it, but would ignore the majority of it. None of the characters would be OOC like Aang wouldn't be bloodthirsty, and characters would actually act like human beings. In B universe, the events don't lead to Korra but to one like the fanart has for "power corrupts", which is where Aang and the Gaang grow evil from corruption. Where the only one who can save it is basically Azula. The new canon leads into Korra. It's completely difficult if not impossible to have stakes for a story that should've been out before Korra came out, because Zuko's fate is already known in Korra. The only one who's not is Sokka, and the comics should rightly focus on that character. Maybe even contradict the Korra series in order to create some more nuance in a certain character beyond "I was abused as a child and therefore became evil."  For a show that's supposedly about following what Ghibli did, they certainly didn't shy away from American supeerhero and horror cliches.   

I haven't bought a comic since because they just are terrible. I've seen better fanfiction that made it messy and chaotic than the Disney sequel quality garbage they posed as a valid sequel. So many stories to tell in the universe, and they do that and with not Rufftoon doing the artwork for it. I really liked his fancomics, especially Water Tribe Zhao. Now that kind of storytelling should be in the comics.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017 10:49 am »

I would love for a re-boot as well to the comics as well as one for Legend of Korra to an extent, such as with season 4. Now that won't happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a comic doing an au for season 4 the most, that season had a plethora of issues like season 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: