Dec 17, 2017 10:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Mai and ty lee even like Azula?  (Read 16847 times)
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013 12:24 am »

^ Or you could say she impulsively sided with the friend who was in danger of getting fried.  Cheesy

I like your analysis of Mai and Azula's pseudo-rivalry.  I think that Azula and the fandom in general slept on Mai's cunning and determination, because she was so blah most of the time.  Who knew she had a trigger?  And who knew how she would react?  Mai said it right, Azula miscalculated.  But I think we did as well.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2013 01:08 am »

There's a reason why they say you should be careful with the quiet ones.

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2013 05:03 pm »

^ Or you could say she impulsively sided with the friend who was in danger of getting fried.  Cheesy

Over the friend who was in danger of bleeding out. Wink Mai seemed pretty confident about her shot, although I doubt she expected to survive.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013 06:09 pm »

^ True, but then, Ty Lee saved both.  Although the Vegas money line on their fight, I think, was leaning towards Azula.  Cheesy  I think Mai was being stoic and defiant in the face of her impending doom.  You're right though, perception isn't always reality.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2013 06:16 pm »

Oh, I figure both were in lethal danger. Azula was merely going to throw a fireball, which isn't a one-hit-kill, but I bet she was aiming to slay. Mai with a single knife had an even harder shot if she wanted to kill, but I doubt she was planning on wasting it.

Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

History teacher @ the first school of Soundbending

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2013 10:46 pm »

^ True, but then, Ty Lee saved both.  Although the Vegas money line on their fight, I think, was leaning towards Azula.  Cheesy  I think Mai was being stoic and defiant in the face of her impending doom.  You're right though, perception isn't always reality.

You dare doubt the strength and cunning of our beloved brood mother? Everybody knows that Ty Lee only chi-blocked Azula because she knew Mai would cut Azula's hands off and proceed to b***h slap her with them while saying "stop hitting yourself."

Keeper of Tahno's mp3 player.

http://firenationfan.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Nation-Pride-Signature-65391719

"Some traditions have purpose."
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2013 10:50 pm »

I just realized that that we have never seen Mai and ty lee interact with each other outside of Azula.

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2013 11:03 pm »

I just realized that that we have never seen Mai and ty lee interact with each other outside of Azula.

That's not really true.

RubberBandMan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2013 12:43 am »

They guarded the Bear together in the Earth King Throne room, remember

Mai didn't care, and Ty Lee was more interested in playing then anything else. Without Azula they didn't seem too proactive.

I'm gonna snap!
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2013 04:42 am »

Also when they went after Sokka and Katara in the drill, and Mai didn't want to get covered in euphemism.

Final Frontier
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Your Avatar is not amused.

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013 03:44 pm »

I actually agree with this observation. The conversation outside the Earth Kingdom throne room was probably planned ahead of time by Azula. The only real conversation I remember the two having wasn't even a conversation (more of an argument) about the drill-sludge. I think the events that took place on Ember Island are enough to conclude that the two have a mutual ignorance of each other.

Keeper of Chey's "Hey, where'd everybody go? ...very funny, guys!"
Spirit of Flame
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013 04:06 pm »

So are we simply tossing out any interaction they had with each other where Azula just happened to be in the room?

Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #87 on: Nov 12, 2014 12:20 pm »

Yeah I always wondered about this. I think on some level they were her friends mostly because they went to school together and spent their childhood days together. I have a feeling Mai and Ty Lee are a lot closer than they are with Azula but I do think they were friends...even if it was a weird friendship. Kind of reminds me of mean girls where everyone fears the leader of their group even though they are all meant to be friends.

I doubt Mai was that afraid of Azula either tbh considering she didn't always seem to go along with what Azula ordered. And I think Ty Lee and Azula probably were friends before too but that friendship is built on fear (for Ty Lee)

They did seem happy to see Azula again in return to omashu
AncientScarab
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Regal Beetle

« Reply #88 on: Nov 16, 2014 08:53 pm »

It's kinda hard to say, seeing as both Mai and Ty Lee didn't really have much depth. Ty Lee was all around wishy-washy and just sort of went with the flow until Mai acted against Azula. Mai probably figured it was expected of her to align herself with Azula - although it was kind of strange that she sided with Azula when she refused to trade Mai's brother for Bumi, but betrayed her to save Zuko - but that's just me. Ultimately, their friendship/allegiance/loyalty (or whatever you want to call it) to Azula was situational, because it was a means to an end.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2014 09:15 pm by AncientScarab » Logged

What'chu talkin' bout Willis?
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #89 on: Dec 21, 2014 09:50 pm »

I tell you, if Azula ever goes the redemption route, and she has family issues and personnel issues has to deal with first (though if I have my way, Mai would be part of her family), but if she ever gets all those issues resolved, I tell you she has to confront them and appology. I am not sure Mai, but Ty Lee for sure. They don't have to forgive her and become friends again, in a way as much as I love Ozai's angels, I rather they don't forgive her because it would be more realistic, but just appology and get closure that is enough for me. Though I think Mai has to learn to somewhat co excist with her because they are going to be family.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #90 on: Dec 22, 2014 10:07 am »

^I think Mai would forgive Azula. The relationship between the two wasn't so rocky and Mai doesn't look like someone who'd hold onto grudges. Not to mention that being family and probably Zuko's insistence would help mend bridges.

Ty Lee on the other hand...

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #91 on: Dec 22, 2014 12:09 pm »

^Yay Mai should try to get along with Azula for Zuko's sake and more importantly for Izumi's sake.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #92 on: Dec 22, 2014 12:14 pm »

^Yay Mai should try to get along with Azula for Zuko's sake and more importantly for Izumi's sake.

Why ?

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Mahaanus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #93 on: Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm »

Why ?

Because Zuko will want Azula back in his life and most likely, if things go that way, Azula will want to be part of his life as well (seeing how he pretty much swore unconditional love to her). If that's the case Mai's life would be much more easier if she does not hold a grudge against a person who she's going to see very often.

Keep in mind, neither of us (I assume) is suggesting that Azula shouldn't put in the effort into that relationship. Mai is neither required, nor should she, just give Azula a blank slate with no expectations.

Recent events have drawn me out of my hole.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #94 on: Dec 22, 2014 12:35 pm »

I dunno about him letting Azula enter the family like that so easily.
I like you idea tho.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #95 on: Dec 22, 2014 07:56 pm »

I don't think Mai has the energy to hold a grudge; she simply keeps in mind your capacity for violence and betrayal, and arms herself accordingly. But she's not looking to blame you for fun, or anything.

DashingDerps
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #96 on: Dec 23, 2014 09:53 pm »

I think Ty-Lee liked her but Mai not so much.

I feel as though Azula really didn't know how to make friends. As shown in the Beach she's very socially awkward. I believe that Ozai really only taught her to be social on a political basis. And for that she thought that fear was the only way to make a friend. In fact Grey DeLisle mentioned that Azula used fear to control people because she feared they wouldn't like her for her.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #97 on: Dec 25, 2014 01:28 pm »

I feel as though Azula really didn't know how to make friends. As shown in the Beach she's very socially awkward. I believe that Ozai really only taught her to be social on a political basis. And for that she thought that fear was the only way to make a friend. In fact Grey DeLisle mentioned that Azula used fear to control people because she feared they wouldn't like her for her.

SO sad...   Cry  I'm crie.

But seriously, Azula is my weakness.  (Formerly strong, fallen on hard times.  I've got issues.  Tongue)

DashingDerps
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #98 on: Dec 25, 2014 04:00 pm »

SO sad...   Cry  I'm crie.

But seriously, Azula is my weakness.  (Formerly strong, fallen on hard times.  I've got issues.  Tongue)

I relate most to her in regards to her paranoia.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #99 on: Dec 25, 2014 11:15 pm »

SO sad...   Cry  I'm crie.

But seriously, Azula is my weakness.  (Formerly strong, fallen on hard times.  I've got issues.  Tongue)

I relate most to her in regards to her paranoia.

I know how she feels.  I was walking down the street, and there was a construction worker hammering some nails on a house.  And he called me a "paranoid little weirdo".  In Morse code.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: