Jul 22, 2014 08:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Mai and ty lee even like Azula?  (Read 5411 times)
dragonofthewest
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #50 on: Dec 03, 2006 05:48 pm »

OK, everybody just listen to me for a moment. First and foremost, to answer your question, no. They don't like Azula. Ty-Lee is obviously in this because of fear, and Mai of boredom of her old life. Ty-Lee is doing this because she knows Azula will just do away with her anyway. Meanwhile Mai is doing this because she just can;t seem to find excitement. As to why they all seemed happy to see each other, Ty-Lee and Mai are probably friends, but the reason they hang out with Azula and act happy to see her is obvious. THINK ABOUT IT!!! Azula is the daughter of the Fire Lord, can shoot lightning from her poorly taken care of fingernails (just a guess about that last part), plus I can imagine it wouldn't be wise to make Azula mad, even if she didn't have fire bending. It's sort of a nobvious answer to the whole thing if you think about it.

Thanks heliothehunter.  Always nice to have an ally.

Xgamerkf: "a matter of self-preservation"?  I would risk my self-preservation for a friend, or a friend's interests.  Not for someone who I only served out of fear, though.

And again.  It's not letting Bosco get away that I'm citing.  It's the fact that she let the Earth King and two valuable hostages (Toph and Sokka) get away.

After watching the season finale again I am willing to concede that T and M admire Azula, along with fearing her.  But this still, emphatically, does not add up to friendship.

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
Xgamerkf
Chief Crankypants

Keeper of Katoph

« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2006 06:00 pm »

So then does Mai not like Ty Lee, either? I mean, Ty Lee was actually in a bit of trouble there, and still all Mai did was let the group leave without a second thought.

According to you, Mai must not consider Ty Lee to be a friend.

♥ You're Beautiful (Katoph - Rated T) ♥ *Updated 3/31*

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~Adam Savage, MythBusters
dragonofthewest
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2006 06:05 pm »

That was a pretty short scene.  I'm sure Mai freed Ty Lee as soon as she had a chance.  In fact, it could be argued that Mai let them get away so easily partly because she saw that Ty Lee was in a very vulnerable position, if it came to a fight. 

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
Xgamerkf
Chief Crankypants

Keeper of Katoph

« Reply #53 on: Dec 03, 2006 06:12 pm »

Possibly, but then you can't use that scene as proof of Mai's feelings about Azula, either, because we don't know whether Mai would have fought had Ty Lee not been incapicitated.

♥ You're Beautiful (Katoph - Rated T) ♥ *Updated 3/31*

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~Adam Savage, MythBusters
dragonofthewest
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #54 on: Dec 03, 2006 06:22 pm »

I can use it as a gauge of M's relative feelings for A and T.  As in, who does she care about more?  If she cared about Azula and her ambitions more, she would have risked fighting.  If she cared about Ty Lee more...not so much.  As you say, why bother? 

In any case I am willing to admit that the case for Mai is not as strong as the case for Ty Lee.  Mai is far more reticent than T.  But that doesn't mean there's no case.

jchr916
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #55 on: Dec 03, 2006 06:42 pm »

Toph could have just push a rock up to Ty Lee's back and threatened to break it (as flexible as T is).  Even if T wasn't a gunpoint, M knew she wouldn't be able to beat Sokka and Toph.  Plus, she didn't like Bosco anyways and it didn't matter if she let them leave or not.  Sokka and Toph were useless for the rest of the episode anyways.

Keeper of Cosmic Energy
agni-kie
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #56 on: Dec 03, 2006 08:52 pm »

Let's figure that Ty Lee and Mai didn't meet with Azula the first time on the way to kindergarten one day.  They were "appointed" to be her "friends" because their parents were in the Fire Lord's favor and/or they were deemed worthy of Azula.  It's fairly clear that both Mai and Ty Lee did not maintain much other contact with the rest of the Fire Nation elite social community. Mai's family was consigned to an Earth Kingdom backwater (from a Fire Nation point of view) and Ty Lee simply joined the circus.  Not likely to be a social climber there.

Ty Lee is likely to express happiness at meeting just about anyone, not only Azula.  It's her way of being agreeable to everything.  It's the way her character is expressed.  Mai claims to be bored but I think she's more frustrated at not having a purpose.  Maybe the hookup with Zuko that seems to be foreshadowed will snap her into actions that run even more contrary to Azula.

In any case Azula is using them while having no fear that they'll challenge her.  I think for season 3 a little intrigue in the group (Zuko challenges Azula, Mai defends Zuko, Ty Lee defends Mai) could prove very interesting.   
DragonTrainer
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #57 on: Dec 03, 2006 09:00 pm »

I don't know why... but Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee sort of reminds me of Miyabi Aizawa, Urumi Kanzaki, and Tomoko Nomura from Great Teacher Onizuka.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about... erm... here's a link.  :p

Erm... their info is actually on the same page... one on top of the other.  >_>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_GTO#Tomoko_Nomura
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_GTO#Miyabi_Aizawa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_GTO#Urumi_Kanzaki

........................(( (( ((.........................
.........................)) )) ))........................
........................(( (( ((.........................
.........................)) )) ))........................
(>~.~)> (>*_*)> \____/<(^0^<) <(o_O<)
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Chief Crankypants

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #58 on: Dec 03, 2006 10:38 pm »

Some times peope surrender even if they are fighting for something important to the cause they beleive in.  After all, you can't do anyone any good dead. It was just Mai vs a powerful Earthbender and a skilled warrior.  Even if it was for my freind, I think I would have surrendered.  Descrestion is the better part of valor.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
eradzik
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #59 on: Dec 04, 2006 02:30 am »

I think that they are loyal to Azula, they find success in her.
Paul Bunyan
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2006 08:30 am »

Azula uses Mai and Ty Lee because she can trust them. She knows their motives and personalities well, so she knows that they won't double cross her.

And I think they like her back too, or at least don't hate her.
heliothehunter
Chief Crankypants

Howdy. :3

heliothehunter@yahoo.com piratemonkey666
« Reply #61 on: Dec 08, 2006 07:50 pm »

I think that they are loyal to Azula, they find success in her.
Yes, they are loyal. But not friends. A friend does things for another friend. A friend helps out when another friend is in danger. Just because they listen to Azula doesn't make them friends with her. There are plenty of jerks I'm forced to listen to but that doesn't mean I like them. And about Mai not fighting, she was clearly outnumbered and there was no way she'd ever be able to take them on with Ty Lee in that position. Sure, she COULD have freed her, but let me ask you this: would you risk dying with your REAL friend via a ten yera old, a sixteen year old and a bear with a hat? Or would you rather live with your friend and leave a mess for you not-friend to clean up? I'd pick choice two.

http://heliothehunter.deviantart.com/

Watch my DA account. Will there be avatar art? Probably not but it's still nice stuff. Right? RIGHT?
zennyrpg
Chief Crankypants

ZennyRPG
« Reply #62 on: Dec 08, 2006 08:08 pm »

Friendship is weird.  Most everyone has some friends that are just weird, but if you're friends with them that long you stop noticing it as much.  Mai and Ty Lee have to know Azula is crazy, but Azula has always been a little crazy.  She bullies them a little, maybe they don't mind so much.  I think they are friends, but in the tentative "i've been friends with you so long we'll always be friends sort of way."  They admire Azula, but they also take her craziness with a grain of salt.  I think Ty Lee and Mai's friendship is a bit deeper, but that too is a circumstance of being friends for so many years.  I think that if they met as strangers as they all are now they would hate each other.

Until maybe a few years ago Mai and Ty Lee have always been Azula's back ups.  When they saw her again I think they didn't know whether to be happy or scared.  Ty Lee was reluctant because she had found something better in life, Mai not so much so. 

Bad guys can have friends.  They fact that Mai didn't get seriously injured for not going into the wall juice leads me to believe there is some friendship going on there.

Keeper of Sozin's Blue Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Blue Inner Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Red Inner Dragon
Keeper of the Meadow Vole
Marsala
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #63 on: Dec 08, 2006 08:18 pm »

Possibly, but then you can't use that scene as proof of Mai's feelings about Azula, either, because we don't know whether Mai would have fought had Ty Lee not been incapicitated.
I think she would have. The fight was a virtual rematch of their initial encounter when Toph announced, "They're not the real Kyoshi warriors!" and Mai said, "Sorry to disappoint you," with a smile and an attack. But Mai wasn't going to fight a powerful Earthbender and... Sokka... by herself over a bear.
zennyrpg
Chief Crankypants

ZennyRPG
« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2006 08:27 pm »

I think she would have. The fight was a virtual rematch of their initial encounter when Toph announced, "They're not the real Kyoshi warriors!" and Mai said, "Sorry to disappoint you," with a smile and an attack. But Mai wasn't going to fight a powerful Earthbender and... Sokka... by herself over a bear.

Or to recapture the Earth King.  Mai had a rock aimed at her, it just wasn't going to happen.

Mai, Ty Lee and Azula remind me of the power puff girls.  Why is there no fan art on this?

Blue Flame
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #65 on: Dec 08, 2006 08:33 pm »

Mai, Ty Lee and Azula remind me of the power puff girls.  Why is there no fan art on this?

Actually I have come across Ozai's Angels turned into the power puff girls ...
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32343274/?qo=27&q=by%3Aisaia&qh=boost%3Apopular+-in%3Ascraps

Whoa that's a really long link.  Shocked  But Isaia does great Avatar fanart. This is just one of her many amazing works.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2006 08:35 pm by Blue Flame » Logged

zennyrpg
Chief Crankypants

ZennyRPG
« Reply #66 on: Dec 08, 2006 08:48 pm »

Actually I have come across Ozai's Angels turned into the power puff girls ...
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32343274/?qo=27&q=by%3Aisaia&qh=boost%3Apopular+-in%3Ascraps

Whoa that's a really long link.  Shocked  But Isaia does great Avatar fanart. This is just one of her many amazing works.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

I really love the Mai/Ty Lee/Azula dynamic.  I hope since Zuko is "joining" them we will get to see more interaction all around.

heliothehunter
Chief Crankypants

Howdy. :3

heliothehunter@yahoo.com piratemonkey666
« Reply #67 on: Dec 08, 2006 08:53 pm »

OMG! That's hilarious! Let me see if I can guess what they did:

Azula: Blossom
Ty Lee: Bubbles
Mai: Buttercup
Then the placed a flame instead of a flower. Teh awesomenesss!

http://heliothehunter.deviantart.com/

Watch my DA account. Will there be avatar art? Probably not but it's still nice stuff. Right? RIGHT?
airbender021003
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #68 on: Dec 09, 2006 01:25 am »

well mai and ty lee were very happy wen the saw azula on one one of the episode forgot which but yea!

Thank You InnerYin!
TheNineTails
Chief Crankypants

Who ate my Friggin Ramen

« Reply #69 on: Dec 09, 2006 01:26 am »

A group of friends always have the b*tch in the group and I guess thats what Azula represents.

azure_flame
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2013 01:59 pm »

You know, I have to even wonder about this question.

What was Mai and ty lee's relationship with Azula?

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Loopy
Chief Crankypants

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2013 02:50 pm »

Personally, although I think every member of that trio felt a certain amount of resentment towards the other two, they were united in real friendship by not fitting into the molds expected of them. Together, they were able to be themselves and break whatever rules they needed to feel fulfilled, and supported each other just as often as they hurt and dragged each other down.

Sig by Danger
shorewall
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2013 05:13 pm »

^ Very nice.  Grin  Poetic even.

\\\\\\\"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light.\\\\\\\"
azure_flame
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2013 05:43 pm »

^ I agree.

but the question remains what caused it to break down. I blame ozai, because he's usually to blame for most stuff.

In a video game someone once said something along the lines of "the strong require strong friends so that person's power won't distort them"

the difference between Aang and Azula is that Aang had friends to support and guide him. But Azula didn't have that at the end. Mai and ty lee did nothing to stop Azula's fall and Azula so obsessed over making certain her friends could never leave her, she held on too tightly.

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Loopy
Chief Crankypants

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013 02:59 pm »

I think what broke them up was that Mai and Azula wound up wanting the same thing. The Dangerous Ladies were a more or less stable alliance so long as they could observe certain lines, but when it came to the point where Azula wanted Zuko dead and Mai wanted Zuko alive, all bets were off. Both Azula and Mai had to know it would come to that point sooner or later, but Azula presumed that her use of fear to control Mai was sufficient, whereas Mai seemed like she was waiting and preparing for the situation to reach the point of no return. I interpreted that little glance in The Headband as Mai thinking, "We're not at that point yet, but I'm already making battle plans, sister."

I get the impression that Ty Lee didn't know that a confrontation was coming, and in the end, she impulsively sided with the friend who hurt her the least.

Sig by Danger
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: