Mar 28, 2017 03:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Mai and ty lee even like Azula?  (Read 15154 times)
ampulator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2006 12:34 am »

It's not their obedience that we should be analyzing, it's where they are DEFIANT, that's where it matters. First, Ty Lee has implied she did not want to come. She has explicitly stated she had wanted to stay in the circus, but before Azula put her through dangerous situations. She wasn't forced to come per se, but she probably got the "signal".

Mai joined Azula without a fight, but note her reason: she was bored. She had a personal reason to leave Omashu and join Azula. Also, she refused to go down the slurry pipeline against Azula's orders. This shows she is not blindly loyal to Azula.

Proud Anti-Shipper - More Story Less Soap Opera!
Isidorios
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Desty Nova Avatar and Sig by Darathor

« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2006 02:45 am »

I have old friends who I consider good friends, even though they can be jerky or piss me off. They all 3 know each other pretty well. They are obviously old friends. They know that Azula is an overly intense, daddy-worshipping Mega-Beeyatch. Just like the other two know that Mai is a whiney spoiled little delittante, or that Ty Lee is a flakey goofball. Having flaws makes them believable, and not mindlessly obeying Azula all the time doesnt make them disloyal or resentful of her.  They ARE, after all, getting the chance to be Fire Nation Heroes because of her. Even the reluctant Ty Lee seems to be enjoying the whole thing immensely.  Just look at the smile on her face as she comes out the back of the Drill, ready to whoop the Siblings.

The dispensation of Nature is such that the very act of Living and Doing is to its very core, awash with Evil.
 If you cannot accept this fact, the world is impossible to live in, as it is for Poets
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2006 11:21 am »

Would they dare to look unhappy?

I'ld say so, Ty Lee dared to say she would rather stay at the circus and Mai dared to not follow the gaang when ordered too.  Fear is not much of a factor here.  I beleive their happiness was geninune.

And just to set the record sreight-sociopaths are often very popular people and have lots of freinds, since they act according to soceities until it is benefical to do otherwise, and they often fool others into beleiving they are good people.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Argyle Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A tiny plaid bender's worst nightmare.

« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2006 02:08 pm »

And just to set the record sreight-sociopaths are often very popular people and have lots of freinds, since they act according to soceities until it is benefical to do otherwise, and they often fool others into beleiving they are good people.

Sure, but it's a facade.  It's not true friendship.
Eyes-Through-Earth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2006 03:01 pm »

I do think that they like Azula, and probably at some poitn Azula liked them, but I really think that right now she's just manipulating their friendship to her advantage.

{avatar by Maivry. siggy by Georgie.}
theLastAirbender01
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2006 04:37 pm »

I do think that they like Azula, and probably at some poitn Azula liked them, but I really think that right now she's just manipulating their friendship to her advantage.
yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking too...

Aang: PENGUIN!

Aang (weakly speaking): I need to ask you something... come closer...
Katara: What is it?
Aang (energetically speaking): Will you go penguin-sledding with me?

Sokka: What is that?
Aang: This is Appa, my flying bison.
Sokka: ...Yeah, and this is Katara, my flying sister.
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2006 06:41 pm »

Sure, but it's a facade.  It's not true friendship.

Thank you Argyle.  That's one point I've been trying to make.  Rhino, has Azula fooled anyone into thinking she is a good person?  FEAR is the only reason the girls stay with Princess Biatch, that and the opportunity for adventure.  These are, plainly and simply, utterly distinct motives from the motives of friendship and affection.  Of course they could exist side by side with wanderlust.  However in this case they DO NOT.

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
pepes
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of Aangs adorableness and Destiny

« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2006 09:11 pm »

Its possible that they dont really like her. In SOTFN we discover that Ty lees more prone to following any order that Azula gives her. Maybe this comes out of fear of Azula.
Personally, I wouldnt want to walk up to an evil princess who can control lightning and is the favored child of the most powerful dictator in the world and say "I dont like you anymore."

Amazing sig by the amazing Sedai!
faheezy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2006 09:59 pm »

i think the writers havent gotten in depth with mai and tylee's relationship with azula is becuase they are juggling too many relationships right now. what i mean is, they have the zuko/iroh and then they have the gaang. once zuko joins the gaang, the previous two will combine to one, and so theres another spot open for the relationships of the ozai's angels. that's probably the best, since we're goin into the fire nation next book. ..thats what i think at least.

ampulator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2006 10:43 pm »

I want to point out they have yet to critically think about wh they are helping Azula. Azula has yet to push either to the limit.

Proud Anti-Shipper - More Story Less Soap Opera!
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo is watching...and waiting...

« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2006 06:54 am »

Because Mai and Ty-Lee are both stupid and naive. If they were smart, they would have known something was wrong with Azula and done something about it. Mai's just a bored girl who needs to get a life and Ty-Lee needs to throw herself into the ocean.

Ty-Lee acts like she should be more of a Spongebob character than an Avatar character.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006 06:56 am by AvatarFan33 » Logged
Amy_for_airbending
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2006 09:37 am »

Amy thinks there more like half-friends. not as much friends as they are partners.

*keeper of: Appa's fur, Mai's dark makeup, Toph's flying boar, Toph's metalbending
Swim
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2006 10:20 am »

It's hard to say whether they Mai and Ty Lee like Azula. While much of the information currently available points towards abusive and unilateral relationships, drawing conclusions from what little is known would be presumptuous.

:3 :"How do you like the city?"
:\ :"It's ok."
:3 :"What do you like to do for fun?"
:\ :"Nothing."
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2006 05:28 pm »

I hope the finale settled this question for people.  I almost threw up at Ty Lee's toadying to Azula.  "You're so confident Azula!  What a great speech Azula!  Can I kiss your ass Azula?  I admire you so much!"  What is her interaction with Mai (her genuine friend) like?  "Finally Mai gets to wear some make-up that's not depressing!"  People, that's the difference between genuine friendship and sycophancy.

The proud keeper of: Cabbage Man's despair, Bosco's animal instincts, and Katara's kleptomania
FlamingBabiez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Many thanks to Mike & Bryan for a great story!

« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2006 05:40 pm »

I hope the finale settled this question for people.  I almost threw up at Ty Lee's toadying to Azula.  "You're so confident Azula!  What a great speech Azula!  Can I kiss your ass Azula?  I admire you so much!" 
same here
Dementedhamster6
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2006 06:00 pm »

The finale should me she admired her friends. *gasp* She even gave them compliments and recieved them in return. While Ty lee was a suck up the whole time. I wonder what Mai is going to be like to Zuko now since hs on there side i smell Maiuko.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 06:11 pm by Dementedhamster6 » Logged

Thank you cheyanne for making this Picture for me Smiley
One of the few Mai/Azula fans out there Sad
|Keeper of Mais Boredom|
|Keeper of Azulas Di Lee outfit|
|Keeper of the lordress of Ba Sing Sei|
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2006 06:07 pm »

The finale should me she admired her friends *gasp* she gave them compliments and recieved them in return. While Ty lee was a suck up the whole time. He i wonder what Mai is going to be like to Zuko now since hs on there side i smell Maiuko.

The first sentence of your post is conveying no intelligible meaning to me whatsoever.  Grammar and spelling anyone?

Oh yeah and I almost forgot!  Another proof that T and M really aren't friends with Azula.  They let Toph and Sokka (and the Earth King) get away with Bosco...they simply didn't care.  Or I should say Mai didn't care, Ty Lee wasn't in a position (literally) to do anything about it.  But I already made my case for Ty Lee.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 06:21 pm by dragonofthewest » Logged

Dementedhamster6
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2006 06:39 pm »

The finale should me she admired her friends *gasp* she gave them compliments and recieved them in return. While Ty lee was a suck up the whole time. He i wonder what Mai is going to be like to Zuko now since hs on there side i smell Maiuko.

The first sentence of your post is conveying no intelligible meaning to me whatsoever.  Grammar and spelling anyone?

Oh yeah and I almost forgot!  Another proof that T and M really aren't friends with Azula.  They let Toph and Sokka (and the Earth King) get away with Bosco...they simply didn't care.  Or I should say Mai didn't care, Ty Lee wasn't in a position (literally) to do anything about it.  But I already made my case for Ty Lee.
I fixed my post. I understand why Azula would kind of care if the earth king got away but hes nothing now. Hes lost his thrown his Genreals (so now the earth nations army is leaderless) and ba sing sei itself. I dont think she cares to much about an earthbender a water tribe warrior a poweless king and a lowly bear escape. Another thing being that letting someone escape isnt bad a bad friendship quality its just pure laziness.

|Keeper of Mais Boredom|
Zukos Sweetheart
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2006 06:41 pm »

Avter seeing the season Finale I think they are with her 100%

Zutara Fan It is Yummy
Keeper of Zuko's wrong Choice
Keeper of Zuko's Smile and Laugh
Come with Zutarans if you want to live
You know the difference between you and me? I make Zutara look good.
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2006 06:45 pm »

Avter seeing the season Finale I think they are with her 100%

Wow you just blew my mind Zukos Sweetheart.  Hamster, I disagree that the Earth King is of no importance.  He's an important symbol who could be useful for rallying EK forces.  Also, Toph and Sokka are Aang's good friends (his "family", although of course Azula doesn't know they're that important to him).  They'd make great hostages.  Finally, if a "friend" of mine knew something was overwhelmingly important to me, had it in his grasp and just ignored it - I wouldn't consider that "laziness".  I'd consider it betrayal.  I think anyone would.

Oh, and your new sig is truly frightening.

Xgamerkf
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of Katoph

« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2006 07:38 pm »

Your proof that Mai doesn't like Azula is that she let the freakin' bear get away? You're reaching, man. You're really reaching into the barrel if that's the best you can come up with.

Toph rendered Ty Lee helpless in a matter of seconds, and Mai knew she'd do the same to her if she bothered to fight back. It was smart of her to let them go, nothing more or less. Why would she bother with a fight she couldn't win over something she couldn't have cared less about?

♥ You're Beautiful (Katoph - Rated T) ♥ *Updated 3/31*

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~Adam Savage, MythBusters
dragonofthewest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2006 07:48 pm »

Your proof that Mai doesn't like Azula is that she let the freakin' bear get away? You're reaching, man. You're really reaching into the barrel if that's the best you can come up with.

Toph rendered Ty Lee helpless in a matter of seconds, and Mai knew she'd do the same to her if she bothered to fight back. It was smart of her to let them go, nothing more or less. Why would she bother with a fight she couldn't win over something she couldn't have cared less about?

Wow!  It's like you didn't even read my last post!

"Why would she bother with a fight she couldn't win over something she couldn't have cared less about?"

Because that's what real friends do for each other.  They care about what the other cares about and they make exertions on their behalf.  Mai knew that Azula had no way of knowing she had let the Earth King get away (and that is my point, not that she let Bosco get away!  Like you didn't even read it...) so she just let him go.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 07:49 pm by dragonofthewest » Logged

Xgamerkf
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of Katoph

« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2006 07:58 pm »

Mai knew that Azula had no way of knowing she had let the Earth King get away (and that is my point, not that she let Bosco get away!  Like you didn't even read it...) so she just let him go.

Oh, no, it's not like Ty Lee wasn't right there, or anything... -_-

My point is, why would Mai fight a losing battle over something she didn't care about? Seriously, "friendship" had nothing to do with that decision, it was a matter of self-preservation.

♥ You're Beautiful (Katoph - Rated T) ♥ *Updated 3/31*

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~Adam Savage, MythBusters
heliothehunter
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Howdy. :3

heliothehunter@yahoo.com piratemonkey666
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2006 08:11 pm »

OK, everybody just listen to me for a moment. First and foremost, to answer your question, no. They don't like Azula. Ty-Lee is obviously in this because of fear, and Mai of boredom of her old life. Ty-Lee is doing this because she knows Azula will just do away with her anyway. Meanwhile Mai is doing this because she just can;t seem to find excitement. As to why they all seemed happy to see each other, Ty-Lee and Mai are probably friends, but the reason they hang out with Azula and act happy to see her is obvious. THINK ABOUT IT!!! Azula is the daughter of the Fire Lord, can shoot lightning from her poorly taken care of fingernails (just a guess about that last part), plus I can imagine it wouldn't be wise to make Azula mad, even if she didn't have fire bending. It's sort of a nobvious answer to the whole thing if you think about it.

http://heliothehunter.deviantart.com/

Watch my DA account. Will there be avatar art? Probably not but it's still nice stuff. Right? RIGHT?
Dementedhamster6
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2006 08:13 pm »

Mai knew that Azula had no way of knowing she had let the Earth King get away (and that is my point, not that she let Bosco get away!  Like you didn't even read it...) so she just let him go.

Oh, no, it's not like Ty Lee wasn't right there, or anything... -_-

My point is, why would Mai fight a losing battle over something she didn't care about? Seriously, "friendship" had nothing to do with that decision, it was a matter of self-preservation.
Agreed Mai was stearing face to face with a huge boulder over a bear. There was no reason why she needed to be hurt for something as small as the kings pet.

|Keeper of Mais Boredom|
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: