Mar 28, 2017 03:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Mai and ty lee even like Azula?  (Read 15155 times)
DashingDerps
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #100 on: Dec 25, 2014 11:53 pm »

I think Ty-Lee liked her but Mai not so much.

I feel as though Azula really didn't know how to make friends. As shown in the Beach she's very socially awkward. I believe that Ozai really only taught her to be social on a political basis. And for that she thought that fear was the only way to make a friend. In fact Grey DeLisle mentioned that Azula used fear to control people because she feared they wouldn't like her for her.

SO sad...   Cry  I'm crie.

But seriously, Azula is my weakness.  (Formerly strong, fallen on hard times.  I've got issues.  Tongue)

I relate most to her in regards to her paranoia.

I know how she feels.  I was walking down the street, and there was a construction worker hammering some nails on a house.  And he called me a "paranoid little weirdo".  In Morse code.

I am 90% my house is haunted and that someone was watching me through my webcam lol.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #101 on: Dec 26, 2014 06:22 pm »

I had a friend who put tape over his laptop webcam to block anyone spying on him.  Cheesy

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #102 on: Dec 26, 2014 06:45 pm »

^ Doesn't everyone do that?

It's really not hard to hack a webcam.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #103 on: Dec 27, 2014 05:36 pm »

I am not so sure myself. I think that Mai and Ty Lee tolerate Azula, they grew up with each other and for better or worse Azula is a part of their lives, they can't exactly shut her out without there being any repercussions. If we were go deeper into this matter, I think that it can be argued that Ty Lee forced herself into liking Azula, even though she was mean that Mai simply craves adventure and sees Azula as a vehicle for that.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #104 on: Dec 27, 2014 06:07 pm »

^ Doesn't everyone do that?

It's really not hard to hack a webcam.

I don't know, I kinda like to show off.  Tongue  Cheesy  jk.

For Ty Lee, a lot of what we see as niceness is a defense mechanism.  She doesn't like emotional conflict, so she takes a passive pushover role.  It doesn't mean she likes it.  Azula likes it, of course.  Ty Lee is a kind cutie when we meet her, and on her own, she would do just fine.

Mai is also passive, but more in a directionless type of way.  She doesn't have a problem with conflict and standing up to people, but she does crave a purpose.  Azula gave her that.  Mai is a bit more of a misanthrope when we meet her, and needs some development to become a good person.  Her selflessness for Zuko was the light breeze on her spark of morality.

I think both girls have a slightly stunted morality as well.  They care about their friends and loved ones, but beyond that, there doesn't seem to be much questioning.  Products of the FN, indeed.

Azula is a more perfect product of the FN.  She doesn't lack for direction or conflict resolution skills, but her morality is almost non-existent.  For her, serving the Fire Lord, and more specifically, proving herself to the Fatherlord's (sic) standards, is all that matters.

I wonder if seeing Zuko fall out of favor taught her, perhaps subconsciously, how kindness and perceived "weakness" will be cast out, and being a royal child is no protection.  Without an influence to temper that lesson, Azula acted rationally in her environment.  She worked for the success that she perceived.  Ozai nurtured the qualities that he valued, which made for success in his FN, but frustration or failure in any other.

In the FN, she was the ideal hero, like Beowulf and Gilgamesh.  Azula was steeped and entrenched in the Wartime FN culture.  As it failed, so did her whole social construct fail, and she needed to construct a new one in order to continue.  What we've seen so far in the comics is the equivalent of tearing down a condemned building.  You need to break down what's left in order to begin construction on the new.  Smiley

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #105 on: Dec 28, 2014 11:42 am »

Hmm yh I do wonder what her purpose or destiny will be in the comics. Will she work alongside her brother or continue to be against him.

As for Mai and Ty Lee the more I watch episodes with the three I do think they were friends, they just had a strange understanding but the girls more or less seemed comfortablw around Azula. The only thing I noticed is that Mai's attitude towards Azula changes quite a lot once Zuko is back in the FN. As for Ty Lee we know she does fear Azula but there are moments in the beach episode for example were we see Azula showing concern for her feelings.

I think the question is will Azula be friends with Mai and Ty Lee again, if they can rectify their friendship now after all that had happened and during times of peace it would definitely say a lot about their friendship.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2014 11:44 am by Misty23 » Logged
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #106 on: Dec 28, 2014 06:16 pm »

I think Mai and Ty Lee genuinely liked Azula at one point. However, once they saw the crazy things she was doing and how she was using fear to control them, they broke off.

Honestly, I felt that they did like her in "The Beach". They didn't seem afraid of her.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
DashingDerps
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: Dec 29, 2014 01:13 pm »

I had a friend who put tape over his laptop webcam to block anyone spying on him.  Cheesy

I did that, though I used a candy wrapper. :3

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #108 on: Dec 29, 2014 01:57 pm »

Ty Lee probably did, Mai probably knew she was dangerous.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #109 on: Dec 29, 2014 09:31 pm »

Mai, ironically, wasn't that afraid of Azula, though. She didn't jump in the slurry, and said, "I don't care how much lightning Azula throws at me..."

And then there's Mai secretly and calmly sizing Azula up for a knife in 302.

I maintain that Mai liked Azula, but knew that someday they would wind up in a death duel. Her "fear" of Azula was simply a healthy level of mental preparation for that inevitable duel.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #110 on: Dec 29, 2014 10:25 pm »

When you describe Mai like that she sounds pretty awesome. I agree that Mai wasn't afraid of Azula, but I have a hard time imagining she actually liked her. In my opinion, Mai simply tolerated Azula and didn't mind hanging out with her.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #111 on: Dec 29, 2014 10:31 pm »

I think Azula offered Mai exactly what she wanted- an escape from a "boring" life. With Azula's backing, Mai could mouth off to her parents, refuse to participate in upper crust society, and go on adventures to stab people. Azula and Mai probably also shared a disdain for pointless social niceties.

In that respect, Mai liked Azula.

But I don't think Mai was sentimental about it; she was aware that her "like" for Azula would last only as long as Azula was more boon than bane.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #112 on: Dec 29, 2014 11:18 pm »

The way I see it, Azula befriended Mai because even at a young age, she could tell the kid who liked playing with knives could be useful sooner or later, while Mai stuck around because her schmoozer parents kept arranging playdates and she could never protest as a child, only going willingly with Azula later on because she had nothing better to do and hanging out with a psychotic, lightning-throwing Princess was at least somewhat exciting to Mai for a while.      
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014 11:23 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #113 on: Jan 01, 2015 07:34 pm »

Mai, ironically, wasn't that afraid of Azula, though. She didn't jump in the slurry, and said, "I don't care how much lightning Azula throws at me..."

And then there's Mai secretly and calmly sizing Azula up for a knife in 302.

I maintain that Mai liked Azula, but knew that someday they would wind up in a death duel. Her "fear" of Azula was simply a healthy level of mental preparation for that inevitable duel.

True, but the only reason Mai was acting like that in 302 is because Azula ruined their picnic. I still feel that Mai's loyalty went once Zuko came back into the picture. But I agree she probably saw it as inevitable they are both very similar in certain ways
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #114 on: Jan 02, 2015 04:55 pm »

Yeah, I think Mai absolutely knew that Zuko was going to be the issue over which she and Azula would clash. The only question is if, during Zuko's exile, Mai thought that he might someday return to the Fire Nation.

Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #115 on: Mar 16, 2015 02:17 pm »

She probably did believe he would return someday. I also don't think she was aware of how strong her feelings were for Zuko until he left her to join team avatar and by that point it was obvious to her that Zuko was more important to her than Azula.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #116 on: Mar 16, 2015 05:11 pm »

What do you mean by "more important?" Certainly, at that point I think she knew she liked being around Zuko more than she liked being around Azula, but I don't think it was until their confrontation in the Boiling Rock that Mai considered Zuko more important than not being killed by Azula.

Misty23
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #117 on: Mar 17, 2015 02:23 am »

As in more important than obeying Azula's orders
TheBeachandAzula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #118 on: Jun 25, 2016 10:29 pm »

They probably 50% liked/admired her and were 50% scared/intimidated by her. Though admiring and being intimidated by her probably go hand-to-hand.

Strawberries, cherries, and an angel's kiss in spring. My summer wine is really made of all these things. Take off your silver spurs and help me pass the time,
and I will give to you summer wine.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: