Aug 20, 2017 08:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wan, Avatar State and Vaatu  (Read 780 times)
Navyninja87
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 14, 2016 07:38 pm »

Okay maybe this was explained but uh, what significance does Vaatu severing Korra's memories serve? Does that mean Wan or Aang never existed? Aang was my favorite avatar (besides Roku) so I hope it doesn;t mean he never existed.
Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2016 07:54 pm »

Okay maybe this was explained but uh, what significance does Vaatu severing Korra's memories serve? Does that mean Wan or Aang never existed? Aang was my favorite avatar (besides Roku) so I hope it doesn;t mean he never existed.

It just means that neither Korra nor any future avatar won't be able to contact any of the avatars that existed before Korra. Like how Aang had his little avatar pep talk session in Sozin's Comit. Like can't happen for Korra anymore. And it also means that Korra was the last avatar that was able to talk to Wan. It does not mean that those avatars never existed, they were past forms of Korra's spirit. That is how reincarnation works. But the next avatar will be able to talk to Korra and so on, just not anyone before Korra.

Is it clearer now?

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Navyninja87
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2016 08:05 pm »

Yeah, thank you. Something just wasn't clicking as I was writing about those episodes.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2016 03:02 pm »

I still say the severing really wasn't necessary. It seemed like it was done to just to raise some not very delicious steaks.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Navyninja87
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2016 03:07 pm »

Necessary or not, I still have to account for it in my writings.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2016 03:53 pm »

You could always write an AU. Smiley

Navyninja87
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2016 04:57 pm »

Ooh, yeah, time travel fic!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2016 05:15 pm »

I think it had thematic resonance for the end of Book Spirits. And it cut off the really inconvenient mechanic of maintaining mystery when the Avatar can always just go and ask one of the ghosts what's going on. Aang was fine because he couldn't figure out the ghosts, but Korra had Aang showing up and solving all of her problems without asking; that had to go if Book Balance was going to happen.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2016 05:18 pm »

Well, I like to assume that the old Avatars are still available in the Spirit World, but the quick-line to them was severed, so one must actually look them up to get advice.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2016 07:17 pm »

I still say the severing really wasn't necessary. It seemed like it was done to just to raise some not very delicious steaks.

I liked it.  It fit with the themes of Book 2, and made the battle with Unalaq and Vaatu feel like it had lasting consequences.  The scene with Unalaq destroying Raava and all the Avatars vanishing is one of the the most heartwrenching moments in ATLA/LOK for me; going back on it would have cheapened that scene.

Well, I like to assume that the old Avatars are still available in the Spirit World, but the quick-line to them was severed, so one must actually look them up to get advice.

Nah, I prefer to think the opposite.  The past Avatars are gone, period.  If they're still accessible somewhere, that makes the ending of Book 2 less meaningful.  And it makes Korra look like an idiot for not going in search of them at any point.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2016 10:45 pm »

I liked it.  It fit with the themes of Book 2, and made the battle with Unalaq and Vaatu feel like it had lasting consequences.  The scene with Unalaq destroying Raava and all the Avatars vanishing is one of the the most heartwrenching moments in ATLA/LOK for me; going back on it would have cheapened that scene.

Nah, I prefer to think the opposite.  The past Avatars are gone, period.  If they're still accessible somewhere, that makes the ending of Book 2 less meaningful.  And it makes Korra look like an idiot for not going in search of them at any point.

The events of Book 2 aren't needed for Korra to look like an idiot. It comes naturally to her.

Like how Aang searched for the past lives while he was dead and recovering thanks to Katara between Earth and Fire, AtoMaki's assumption isn't too farfetched considering we see the line of them disappear and the glowing Aang cosmic representation fade and fall.

The lasting consequences also only apply to the future Avatars after Korra.

Aang was fine because he couldn't figure out the ghosts, but Korra had Aang showing up and solving all of her problems without asking; that had to go if Book Balance was going to happen.

Roku showed up at times without Aang's prompting though. And Book Balance didn't need to eliminate the past lives because Raava (Aang if he was still alive) could have told Korra "I'm always here" like Raava did once her would-be murderer coached her because Korra never learned anything herself through her own merit and applications.
The only thing that was needed for Book Balance to happen is for Korra to forget that she is the Avatar on the mountain peaks before being poisoned. Since she forgot she was the Avatar and could defeat Zaheer with her skills, Book Balance happened.

It's a weird thing though. Raava still holds the elements despite losing her connection to Aang going back to Wan. How? If she can no longer make Aang going back to Wan appear, how can she still have Korra bend the elements despite dying and being reborn in Vaatu? If the soul of Wan is Korra's, then that's her own memories/experiences through the lens of Raava. Raava shouldn't be the one holding the memories/experiences. Reincarnation means the person doesn't recall their past life. That's what made the Avatar of this universe unique. They could remember and call up who they were before in another life.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm by ahintoflime » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2016 02:57 am »

Yeah, thank you. Something just wasn't clicking as I was writing about those episodes.
Since the question was answered, I'm locking the thread now.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: