Aug 16, 2017 11:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Your opinion on the best and worst Avatar comics.
The best is The Promise - 0 (0%)
The best is The Search - 4 (26.7%)
The best is The Rift - 6 (40%)
The best is Smoke and Shadow - 1 (6.7%)
The worst is The Promise - 1 (6.7%)
The worst is The Search - 0 (0%)
The worst is The Rift - 1 (6.7%)
The worst is Smoke and Shadow - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your opinion on the best and worst Avatar comics.  (Read 3126 times)
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2016 04:29 am »

If Aang was unable/unwilling to kill during a war, why during peacetime would he be willing to kill a friend? He hadn't even gotten all of the details yet and he goes into the Avatar State to kill him? That seems to be fairly out of character for someone like Aang.
''Willing"? He had so much dillemas, and he tried to avoid it. Just read is conversations with Ruko
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2016 05:23 am »

Aang willing to kill a friend without even getting all the details is out of line for a character like Aang. That he would even entertain such a notion is outlandish to say the least.
You sure that you read Part 3?

It is bad enough at the beginning. Aang was totally unwilling to kill Ozai yet he rolls with killing Zuko? That was weird.
Rolls with killing Zuko? He really tried to avoid it...I noticed this change too, but Aang changed a lot in the year passed

I mean, the promise itself came too easy at the beginning. Killing sounded a little far-fetched after what Aang had done with Ozai.

Also, off-screen character development is not cool. While you can say that Aang's character probably changed during the year that passed without the readers seeing anything about it, it would be very poor excuse storytelling-wise for OoC moments.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2016 06:31 am »

Aang willing to kill a friend without even getting all the details is out of line for a character like Aang. That he would even entertain such a notion is outlandish to say the least.
You sure that you read Part 3?

It is bad enough at the beginning. Aang was totally unwilling to kill Ozai yet he rolls with killing Zuko? That was weird.
Rolls with killing Zuko? He really tried to avoid it...I noticed this change too, but Aang changed a lot in the year passed

I mean, the promise itself came too easy at the beginning. Killing sounded a little far-fetched after what Aang had done with Ozai.

Also, off-screen character development is not cool. While you can say that Aang's character probably changed during the year that passed without the readers seeing anything about it, it would be very poor excuse storytelling-wise for OoC moments.
Yea I would like to see what happend in that year
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2016 08:54 am »

Let's get back on topic. If you wish to continue discussing about Aang's willingness to kill Zuko, you can do so in this thread.

Admin's post, do not reply or it will be deleted.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Sep 09, 2016 06:01 pm »

The one I enjoyed the most was The Rift. I liked the development it gave Toph and the interactions with Aang, how it expanded Avatar Yangchen's background, and the fight with General Old Iron was just plain awesome.

I enjoyed The Search and felt it was a surprising, suspenseful, and satisfying resolution to the plot thread of Ursa's fate.

The Promise was alright.  There was a lot I liked about it.  Moral conflicts for Aang and Zuko, particularly Zuko's discussion with Ozai about moral relativism.  I liked how it tied in the conflict with Aang and Katara's relationship (and I loved that full page Kataang kiss. Tongue )The whole Toph's students subplot kind of dragged things down for me though, as did the airbender fan club.

Smoke and Shadow was the one I enjoyed the least.  I don't know if it was bad, per se, but a few factors contributed to me not enjoying it as much as the others.  For one, I'm getting some Fire Nation Royal Family fatigue, after the first two stories pretty much all about Zuko.  And the love triangle. I had a bad feeling as soon as it looked like a love triangle was brewing.  Avatar and love triangles don't miss.  And Azula's inclusion in the story...I don't know.  It didn't quite click.  I don't know if it was a satisfying follow-up to when we last saw Azula in The Search.  I think it might have been more satisfying to wait one or two more stories before bringing Azula back in.  I've really only read Smoke and Shadow once, and not all at the same time.  Maybe I should give it another read to I can put my finger on what put me off with it.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2016 07:28 pm by Red Hawk » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #30 on: Sep 09, 2016 06:03 pm »

I thought the best was the Search. I wasn't bothered by the Ursa stuff like some people were so that didn't hold it back for me. I also like it when enemies team up with each other so Azula joining the gaang was interesting. It may not have been quite as well told as The Rift was (the Rift was mostly a very streamlined/basic story) but out of all the comics, the Search is the one I walked away from feeling the most satisfied with. While the Rift Part 3 is my favorite individual comic, the first two parts of that series were weaker so they hold it back from being on the Search's level for me. It also didn't help that The Rift made Toph completely insufferable...and coming from someone that already found her annoying...that's saying something.

The worst comic series for me was Smoke and Shadow. I know the Promise is technically a storytelling mess...but it at least had all the characters I cared about and had it's entertaining moments that I liked. It also had lots of Kataang in it so that helped me forgive some of that series faults (forgive my bias in that regard). Smoke and Shadow however...lacked all of that. Most of the major characters in the series are absent (Zuko and later on Aang being the only ones available) and the story wasn't interesting enough to make up for that. I went further into detail with in in my reviews of Smoke and Shadow part 1 and 2 but this is definitely the weakest series for me. I mean...I haven't even read part 3. That's how much the first two parts just lost me. I at least wanted to read the installments of the other comics. I have no desire to read part 3 of S&S and the interest that it caused me to lose has also kind taken away my desire to read North and South (although, to be fair, my rising passion for RWBY probably didn't help it).

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2016 04:12 am »

I think I should read all the comics again
Im starting to think that the promise may be the worst

I still think that they could be much better as episodes, putting the series into limited comics caused a lot of problems
But they are still great after all
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Sep 11, 2016 05:37 pm »

The Promise in my opinion is the worst though it's not a bad comic in my opinion.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #33 on: Sep 12, 2016 06:26 am »

I'm not sure which series I like/dislike most as a whole, but my least favourite individual comic is part 2 of The Promise. Those metalbending students really just annoyed me. =_=

doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Sep 13, 2016 08:18 am »

I read The Promise again and you took Aang and Zuko case too far. He really tried to avoid it, so saying 'willing' is ridiculous. Moreover, air nomads can kill someone if he's suffering or asking for it, and Zuko got both of it.
And about Ozai he almost killed him just like in The Promise, but then he left the avatar statex just like here.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Sep 13, 2016 08:37 am »

Yeah I re-read it too and I still think he went over far too quickly. However we can continue this discussion on another thread. My least favorite comic is The Search, I felt like it destroyed Ursa's character. My favorite comic was The Rift, it had a few flaws but overall was a decent comic.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am by luvavatar » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2016 02:53 pm »

Destroyed Ursa's character? She was only in two episodes! If you count Azula's hallucination in the finale.

Ursa's character was allowed to be updated and perhaps Bryke had a plan like this since her creation.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2016 03:57 pm »

What the comics showed was a woman that was completely different than her first incarnation. She was positive, nurturing and strong. She was painted as someone willing to do anything to protect her child and urged him to never give up, no matter how different things became. That was who she was depicted as until the comics came and depicted her as meek and basically a hostage. But even still, the idea of a mother willingly giving up her memories of her children has to be one of the worst things I've seen in this franchise and nothing can ever fix the Ursa character for me, sorry that's just how I feel.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2016 04:00 pm by luvavatar » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #38 on: Sep 13, 2016 04:13 pm »

^A small addition to this is that Ursa really gave away a feeling in the show that she was the stronger personality-wise in her relationship with Ozai and there was some love lingering between the two that allowed Ozai to survive the incident and not suffer the same fate as Azulon. This kinda had depth in the storytelling department. But then the comics swept everything away and made the two (Ursa and Ozai) evenly matched in personality and watered down the whole Azulon incident, making everything pretty darn shallow and lackluster.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Sep 13, 2016 04:41 pm »

What the comics showed was a woman that was completely different than her first incarnation. She was positive, nurturing and strong. She was painted as someone willing to do anything to protect her child and urged him to never give up, no matter how different things became. That was who she was depicted as until the comics came and depicted her as meek and basically a hostage. But even still, the idea of a mother willingly giving up her memories of her children has to be one of the worst things I've seen in this franchise and nothing can ever fix the Ursa character for me, sorry that's just how I feel.
I respect your opinion on Ursa. If you don't like her current portrayal at least you have her appearances in the original series even though they are short.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #40 on: Sep 13, 2016 06:41 pm »

Moreover, air nomads can kill someone if he's suffering or asking for it, and Zuko got both of it.

Hilariously, the only way for readers to acquire this information is if they read a specific interview with Gene Yang. It wasn't anywhere in the book actually dealing directly with the matter - a book that supposedly depicts the story directly following up on the finale where Aang not wanting to kill anyone is a big deal.

I mean, that's just basic storytelling: if you're going to be going against the grain of a previous plot point, put your explanation right in the story so that readers get it.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2016 07:23 pm »

Can't disagree with you Loopy. When Aang was about to kill Zuko I was like "What the hell?!".

I like the comics but sometimes and can't help but just ask "Why?".
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Sep 14, 2016 03:06 am »

In Avatar, you need to read between the lines. I figured what I wrote before reading his notes. However, the whole series we see Aang gives up on his values for his friends, and thats excatly what he was doing again at the promise. Aang knows the best the price of a war, and killing Zuko to do it was natural. And as Im always saying, he almost killed him in the avatar state, but really didn't want to when he was normal. And thats exactly what happend with Ozai. So the promise is 100% like the original show.
About basic storyline, I cant but agree with you, espacially part 2. But Avatar was always about the whole thing, I wouldn't like something like the first season for itself, but its an important part of the great story.
longman83
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Sep 14, 2016 11:24 am »

The Rift is the best of the lot. It pretty much finished what it started, and the main theme of past vs future was handled better than that of any other comic. I haven't seen Smoke and Shadow and I don't intend to read it or any subsequent comics atm, because at this point I've noticed certain trends that just aren't going to go away:

1. Poor characterization. Original characters are either flanderized or retconned, and the new characters are one-note forgettables;
2. Question begging subplots mixed with unnecessary ones;
3. A rather 'child-ish' approach to world building (the Air Acolytes started off as a vapid fan club  Roll Eyes );
4. Less is more: Forced inclusion of characters from the original kinda undermines the richness of the world and the original narrative;
5. A trilogy format that is justified more by commercial concerns than actual content.

I read The Promise again and you took Aang and Zuko case too far. He really tried to avoid it, so saying 'willing' is ridiculous.

Avoid what, doratchi? What was there to avoid? Murder shouldn't have been remotely on the radar when Aang and Zuko could have sat down and talked things through rationally as they were well capable of at this point, never mind actually paying attention to feedback from the Harmony Restoration Movement's year-long run. If those things had happened, the Promise might not have a story at all.

That's one of its main main problems in a nutshell: a long-winded artificial conflict spurred by plot-driven characterization (read:stupidity) of those involved.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #44 on: Sep 14, 2016 08:57 pm »

So the promise is 100% like the original show.

Yes, this is my other big complaint. Everyone is still doing the same character arcs they already completed in the cartoon.

Except Kataang.

But I understand that the Mike and the Bryan put the kabosh on that idea when Gene wanted to do it.

doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Sep 15, 2016 03:19 am »

So the promise is 100% like the original show.

Yes, this is my other big complaint. Everyone is still doing the same character arcs they already completed in the cartoon.

Except Kataang.

But I understand that the Mike and the Bryan put the kabosh on that idea when Gene wanted to do it.
What is kabosh mean?

And you know, people don't have to change. And the only character that we really know them deep are only Aang, Katara and Zuko. We can see them changing through the comics.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #46 on: Sep 15, 2016 05:12 pm »

What is kabosh mean?

Be sure to read all the way down. Grin

And you know, people don't have to change. And the only character that we really know them deep are only Aang, Katara and Zuko. We can see them changing through the comics.

People don't have to change, but when Aang, Zuko, and Azula already did in the cartoon for major plot moments, I'd like to see that reflected in the stories set afterward. But no, Aang still struggles with the Avatar State, Zuko still struggles with listening to his father and not killing people who make him angry, and Azula still thinks she can convince anyone that love is for sissies. Yawn. Maybe we can have Katara and Toph argue again in a future comic; that one has only been done twice before.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Sep 15, 2016 05:38 pm »

I still think Azula wasn't using fear but reverse phycology which to me means she isn't rejecting love (Gene Yang could've written it badly) but I agree with Aang and Zuko are still struggling.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2016 05:42 pm by Avatar Symbolism Fan » Logged
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Sep 16, 2016 01:25 am »

What is kabosh mean?

Be sure to read all the way down. Grin

People don't have to change, but when Aang, Zuko, and Azula already did in the cartoon for major plot moments, I'd like to see that reflected in the stories set afterward. But no, Aang still struggles with the Avatar State, Zuko still struggles with listening to his father and not killing people who make him angry, and Azula still thinks she can convince anyone that love is for sissies. Yawn. Maybe we can have Katara and Toph argue again in a future comic; that one has only been done twice before.
We know that Aang never really decided who is he first, Aang or the Avatar. Thats the beauty of the cover of season 3. However he said that he accept to be flawed Avatar, who cares about his values and family more than the 'world sake', but later we see that he never made a clear desicion. Zuko is the same- these conflicts never ends.
But sure, they could add some more aspects
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Sep 16, 2016 03:37 pm »

North and South Part 1 may just be my favorite first part for one of the stories yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: