Dec 17, 2017 10:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here likes or even love the comics?  (Read 1270 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Aug 27, 2016 11:46 pm »

I personally really enjoy reading the new Avatar comics but I do agree they aren't great as the original show. So this thread is for those who likes/loves the new comics or even if you just like/love a specific comic.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2016 01:42 pm »

Me, I think that they are amazing all and are great as 4th season. I can't realize how a true Avatar fan will hate on these great comics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2016 02:07 pm »

Great doratchi! If you like comment on my Azula stealth mentor thread.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2016 02:08 pm »

Great doratchi! If you like comment on my Azula stealth mentor thread.
Ok
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2016 04:38 pm »

I like them. They aren't the best comics ever, but I always enjoy seeing the characters again.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2016 05:06 pm »

I also like them. They aren't perfect but still very enjoyable. And the art is absolutely top-notch.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Chinoiserie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2016 07:22 pm »

They are amazing and much better than Korra imo and in many ways what it should have been. It is a bit tiring when some express criticism of the comics by implying that they are speaking with the fandoms collective voice.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2016 10:53 pm »

I think the comics have their flaws but overall I think they're fun, exciting, and even moving at times.  Definitely a worthwhile continuation of the series, in my opinion.  "Smoke and Shadow" was a bit of a misstep to me but "North and South" looks like it's back on track.

Some best/worst things about the comics:

Best:
--What they did with Ozai in "The Promise".  Loved the discussion with Zuko about moral relativism, a nice peek into the mind of a megalomaniac who sees what he did as right.
--Katara and Aang's dynamic in "The Promise", particularly in part 3.  For a guy who supposedly ships Zutara, I thought Gene Yang was pretty good at writing for Kataang.
--Going in an unexpected but satisfying direction with Ursa's fate in "The Search", and developing Azula through that story as well.
--The Mother of Faces.  Exactly the kind of Miyazaki-esque spirit I would expect from ATLA.  The full-page spread of the Mother of Faces approaching from the distance reminded me of the Night-Walker from Princess Mononoke.
--Resolving Toph's separation from her parents.  I thought it was handled in a way that suited her character.
--Delving into Avatar Yangchen's background.  Always great to explore the Avatar universe's history.
--The battle between General Old Iron and Aang's rock golem. The single most awesome thing to come from the comics.
--The thematic resolution to "The Rift", about the separation of spirits and humans.  That also played nicely into Legend of Korra's themes.
--Katara and Sokka's brother/sister dynamic in "North and South".  Please sir, may I have s'more?

And now, some worsts:
--Breaking up Mai and Zuko.  I held judgement on this because I thought they would make up later down the line.  But after "Smoke and Shadow", I can't be sure of that.  So the Maiko shipper in me has to dock points for this.
--The subplot in "The Promise" about Toph's academy.  Just meh.
--The Rift Part 2's cliffhanger was pretty lame.
--The whole love triangle BS in "Smoke and Shadow".  It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but...I don't want to see Zuko and Mai fighting, or distant, or agreeing to go their separate ways.  I want to see them together.  So booooo.
--Bringing back Azula and focusing on more Fire Nation Royal Family drama.  "Smoke and Shadow" just falls short as a follow-up to "The Search".  It just feels kind of...aimless.  "The Search" was very focused.  They knew what story they wanted to tell, and told it effectively.  And the story had probably been cooking in Mike's head for years ever since ATLA ended.  Not so with "Smoke and Shadow"; it feels like a continuation for the sake of being a continuation.  Lame.  They should have put Azula on the backburner until they really found a worthwhile story to tell with her.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016 10:55 pm by Red Hawk » Logged
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2016 05:23 am »

I really like your opinion but how can you think of Zutara
Aang and Katara were really good together at the beggining of book 3 and the comics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2016 06:17 am »

Well Red Hawk the ending of Smoke and Shadow hints to the possibility of Zuko and Mai getting back together.

Azula in Smoke and Shadow was interesting to me. I think she now a stealth mentor to Zuko but perhaps I'm completely wrong and Azula is wanting to turn Zuko like her.

I do hope North and South are the last Avatar comics set in The Last Airbender timeline because I would like the current loose end up to the readers interpretation (do Zuko and Mai get back together, was Azula being a stealth mentor to Zuko, etc.) but I know there will be most likely more comics and also most likely those questions will have an direct answer.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2016 07:36 am »

But we must see some of Aang later life with Katara
If its the last one they should make a big part 3+tell everyone its the last one

Theres a Dark Horse panel on 5th October
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2016 03:47 pm »

I try to look at the trilogies on an individual basis. Some of them, I like overall (The Rift and the more flawed The Search) and some I do not (The Promise and Smoke and Shadow). One thing I do really love about the comics, though, is the way Azula is drawn. Gurihiru's Azula is wonderful.

A link to her magnificence.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2016 07:00 pm »

Yeah, their Azula art has been top-notch. The 'crazy eyes' Gurihiru give her work really well for showing when she's at her most unstable, without redoing the full breakdown.

The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Everlasting Dragon

« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2016 03:14 am »

The comics are okay and I like the artwork, but I still prefer the original show.

I've only read the ones with Azula in it, anyway.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2016 03:20 am by The-Blue-Dragon-Lord » Logged

He is called Kalameet. A ferocious dragon indeed, even mighty Anor Londo dared not provoke his ire. — Hawkeye Gough
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: