Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike & Bryan should do their own animated Avatar universe feature film...  (Read 2172 times)
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2016 03:32 pm »

If we're talking about directors for a TLA-reboot, I'll leave that between people who follow directors' works more closely. The only thing I'll say is that I don't think J.J. Abrams is a good fit. We need a director that is a good visual storyteller. George Lucas is actually good at that. In fact, on that note, I'd probably nominate a George Lucas/Steven Spielberg teamup.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2016 04:04 pm »

Personally, I would nominate Guillermo del Toro as the director. Ron Perlman as Lieutenant Jee would be hilarious.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2016 06:49 pm »

I'm increasingly convinced the best choice can be found in Hong Kong.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2016 11:28 pm »

If we're talking about directors for a TLA-reboot, I'll leave that between people who follow directors' works more closely. The only thing I'll say is that I don't think J.J. Abrams is a good fit. We need a director that is a good visual storyteller. George Lucas is actually good at that. In fact, on that note, I'd probably nominate a George Lucas/Steven Spielberg teamup.

Maybe back in the day. But "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is too recent so that makes me think that "quality" is what we'd get.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2016 09:32 am »

Maybe back in the day. But "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is too recent so that makes me think that "quality" is what we'd get.

The last thing Avatar needs is more hackneyed political metaphors, bad CG green screen/over-reliance on CG ,  and racial stereotypes thrown in with poorly acted characters with an imbalance of story focus. The last thing we need is for Sokka or some other character become Jabba or Watto. Though it'd funny for Sokka to become like the caricature of Buffy's Xander post season 3.

Personally, I would nominate Guillermo del Toro as the director. Ron Perlman as Lieutenant Jee would be hilarious.

I like that. He could be anyone and still work, minus Aang. Maybe even his own Earth Avatar in live action or animation because his voice work is phenomenal.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
TekkiShodan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2016 03:22 pm »

It would be great to see Jack DeSena in some sort of role too.  I know he's much too old to play a young Sokka, but the voice is still there, and he's done comedic roles for Nick in recent years.  I really would like to see him more in film, not just TV.

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places.  If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2016 05:21 pm »

I'll admit, I'm not sure what happened with that movie. It's like the counter-balance to Temple of Doom where the latter went too far and the former didn't go far enough.

The last thing we need is for Sokka or some other character become Jabba or Watto.

First of all, I'm not sure how Jabba and Watto correlate directly to any ATLA characters, so I don't know how they'd ever reach that point.

Secondly, what's wrong with Jabba and Watto?  Huh

Sig by The_Elite.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2016 09:30 pm »

The last thing we need is for Sokka or some other character become Jabba or Watto.

First of all, I'm not sure how Jabba and Watto correlate directly to any ATLA characters, so I don't know how they'd ever reach that point.

Secondly, what's wrong with Jabba and Watto?  Huh

I meant Jar Jar Binks, not Jabba. And basically, they're both racial stereotypes.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2016 10:31 pm »

It's kind of an odd case, though. They're racial stereotypes without any race in them. It's similar to how Tolkien took ancient stereotypes about Jewish people and used them to construct his Dwarves for The Hobbit.

I can see both sides of this issue, and often it probably comes down to the individual implementation, but I think a lot of these stereotypes have such a strong presence in stories that new storytellers can use them without even realizing the racial implications.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2016 11:47 pm »

It's kind of an odd case, though. They're racial stereotypes without any race in them. It's similar to how Tolkien took ancient stereotypes about Jewish people and used them to construct his Dwarves for The Hobbit.

I can see both sides of this issue, and often it probably comes down to the individual implementation, but I think a lot of these stereotypes have such a strong presence in stories that new storytellers can use them without even realizing the racial implications.

I didn't even know they were stereotypes until the last 5 years. When I first seen the movies as a kid, I didn't see them at all and honestly aren't as bad as the Transformers stereotypes twins. At anything, they inverted them somewhat with Jar Jar making him have a much more influential part in the government, but not so sure with Watto. Like the entire witches being Jewish stereotypes flew right past me, pun intended.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2016 07:02 pm »

I didn't even realize that about witches, but it makes sense. Cheesy

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2016 09:39 am »

I didn't even realize that about witches, but it makes sense. Cheesy

I read this Jewish tumblr blog about the subject that links to a reliable source on the subject. Something about the coned hats being a punishment for apostasy that were linked to Jews. It literally changes the ideas I had about some movies or shows. Like how come to think of it, Willow Rosenberg's a Jewish girl on Buffy before she becomes a witch. It's something you don't really think about because it's been ingrained in the culture and I haven't seen anti-Semitic art until high school, so I never associated them really.

http://returnofthejudai.tumblr.com/post/131982690558/whyhow-are-witches-anti-semitic

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2016 10:21 pm »

Unless they're going out of their way to implicate a specific racial group for negative stereotypes, I find things like the pointed "Dunce" hats to be pretty harmless. I haven't really heard anyone complain about it and any stereotyping it may have been trying to do flew over my head and everyone else's a long time ago. Is an insult really an insult if no one's around to appreciate it?

Sig by The_Elite.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: