Jun 24, 2017 10:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike & Bryan should do their own animated Avatar universe feature film...  (Read 2014 times)
Crazy4Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jul 02, 2016 02:32 am »

I noticed the thread started about the supposed second last airbender movie. Now I fully agree with the mods that the live action movie or movies have no place in this forum, the thread has got me thinking however.

I think Mike and Bryan should produce their own feature film set in the Avatar Universe. It should be animated like the shows and be set either prior to the events of ATLA or after those of TLOK. What do the rest of you think?

Keeper of Lord Momo's cape, Appa's New Saddle, & Aang's New Glider.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2016 10:25 am »

If I remember correctly, they pitched a concept for a TV movie once. It would have been about the search for Zuko's mother. But Nick passed on it, so eventually it was just handed over to Gene Luen Yang to make a comic out of.

An animated Avatar story with the budget of a feature length movie would be nice. Setting it after LOK might bring it too close to the modern world for some fans' tastes. Setting it prior to ATLA might be a safer bet, because there'd be no need to reference the events from either show, which might make it more accessible to people who've never watched them.

Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2016 02:23 pm »

I'd be game for one! At the very least, it'd be great nostalgia fuel.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2016 03:07 pm »

A few years ago, I would have been absolutely for this, but given the way LoK and the comics have turned out, my interest would be entirely conditional on the writing team. I've decided that Tim Hedrick is merely competent at executing other people's vision, and the Mike and the Bryan don't prioritize storytelling enough for me to be able to rely on them, so I'd want to see someone else in charge of the story-development and scripting duties.

But with a good writing team, then yeah, I'd absolutely be down for a new animated movie set sometime in AtLA's past. Preferably, it'd have all completely new characters.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2016 08:46 pm »

LoK's first 12 episodes showed that they have a hard time telling a portion of a story if they only had 12 episodes. A feature length movie would not be doable with just the two of them at the helm.
Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2016 08:54 pm »

^ That's kinda true (though I actually enjoyed book 1). If it does happen, I'd hope the plot would be something other than just a grand shipping fest.
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2016 11:03 am »

An animated Avatar story with the budget of a feature length movie would be nice. Setting it after LOK might bring it too close to the modern world for some fans' tastes. Setting it prior to ATLA might be a safer bet, because there'd be no need to reference the events from either show, which might make it more accessible to people who've never watched them.

A modern setting for the Avatar Universe would not bother met. Modern young adult, anime, or some cartoon tropes making it into the story would. I would hate to see Avatar reduced to a high school setting excecpt for the chibi shorts that were produced
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2016 11:35 am »

^indeed. there were enough fanfics in which they all went to the same highschool, were all in the same rockband, and suddenly all were vampires too.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
tlmonster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2016 11:54 am »

The Avatar world is definitely going to get another series, movie, Netflix pick up, etc sometime in the next couple of years. The universe is just too perfect and well thought out to end with Korra. The demand will definitely be there and studios need good material.
Raimundo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2016 12:05 pm »

I would love to see Mike and Bryan do their own feature film/direct-to-DVD Avatar animated film. However, I honestly feel like these two are way too exhausted to return to this world anytime soon. They seem to be far more interested in exploring other mediums and other stories, so I'd honestly hate for them to come back to a universe that they really don't want to return to.

But I agree that the Avatar universe is far too vast and magical to be left with just two television series and a few comics. There are way too many unexplored settings and amazing characters. A majority of the main cast (in either series) could have very well-written and wonderful spin-off movies dedicated to them.

I would be cautiously optimistic to someone else who has experience writing strong character development giving the Avatar universe a shot; like Greg Weisman, ATLA veteran Aaron Ehasz, Alex Hirsch, or even DC alumni such as Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and Alan Burnett.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2016 06:11 pm »

It could be an amazing film, but it's extremely unlikely. Viacom owns the Avatar universe, not Mike or Bryan or Joaquim or Aaron or anyone else. If we did get a feature film, it would almost be guaranteed to be straight to DVD or Netflix. Viacom seems to give the Avatarverse the shaft most of the time, so they would likely consider it a massive gamble to release a theatrical animated film based on two animated television shows on Nickelodeon.

If it did happen, I would want Mike and Bryan to do the story, art design, producing duties and that's about it. I think the writing and directing would be better left to other hands like Aaron Ehasz or Colin Heck.
As for the plot, I am not exactly sure. Maybe an Avatar from several thousand years ago and having the Avatar as the antagonist and have a lot of morally grey areas.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2016 01:16 am »

LoK's first 12 episodes showed that they have a hard time telling a portion of a story if they only had 12 episodes. A feature length movie would not be doable with just the two of them at the helm.

I offer Beginnings part 1 and 2 as rebuttal to this. That worked because the limitations made for a more focused story. a movie would have similar limitations.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2016 05:43 pm »

Plus, 2 hours of writing and animation is a lot easier to manage that 6 (with the requirement that it needs to be broken up into 12 independently functional parts). I really think a lot of LoK's problems could be attributed to it just being too much work for the Mike and the Bryan to manage while maintaining quality.

But I still have them on probation. If they do another project, they need to check in with their parole officer once a week, cannot drink, cannot possess firearms, and are not allowed contact with any other convicts. Grin

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2016 04:25 am »

I really wished The Search was made into a animated film.
TekkiShodan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2016 09:25 pm »

I think that after the failure of a certain director's vision of an Avatar universe, an animated ATLA film still wouldn't go over well.  Even if it was really, really good. 
Another thing you have to consider is the voice actors themselves.  Zach Eisen, the VA for Aang, is now 23, so his adult voice wouldn't match up to Aang's higher-pitched voice.  Of course, you could set it during a time in which Aang himself is 23, or settle for another young voice actor.
Or you could do what Star Wars did and have him be missing, with Katara, Sokka, Zuko, and friends looking for him.  That, however, would be pretty disappointing.

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places.  If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2016 11:46 am »

I really don't see the point of an animated feature film. If it's going to be animated, it should be something completely new. If it's not going to be new, then it should be live-action. ATLA already watches like a movie anyway, so we've already been there, done that.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2016 08:23 am »

I really don't see the point of an animated feature film. If it's going to be animated, it should be something completely new. If it's not going to be new, then it should be live-action. ATLA already watches like a movie anyway, so we've already been there, done that.

Live action would be perfect if they treated it as the fictional Asian equivalent of Harry Potter and each 12 episodes as a movie. The casting layout would be done like mostly unknowns for the leads and are cast like the source , then high profile actors to draw in the base and justify the budget for the effects. And Ludi Lin as Zuko. There might be a few white people here and there in the background , or even brief shout-outs to cameos in the show such as Serena Williams or whoever else, but it'd not distract.

I think that after the failure of a certain director's vision of an Avatar universe, an animated ATLA film still wouldn't go over well.  Even if it was really, really good. 
Another thing you have to consider is the voice actors themselves.  Zach Eisen, the VA for Aang, is now 23, so his adult voice wouldn't match up to Aang's higher-pitched voice.  Of course, you could set it during a time in which Aang himself is 23, or settle for another young voice actor.
Or you could do what Star Wars did and have him be missing, with Katara, Sokka, Zuko, and friends looking for him.  That, however, would be pretty disappointing.
Depends. People don't really think of it and if anything, it'd be difficult to get it confused with a live action version.The Funimation crew just replaced the Gohan and Alphonse actor since he got too old. Just find someone that sounds "sort-of" like the original and just roll with it, and have Zack Eisen voice a new character that's maybe critical to the plot. Preferably a woman so you don't have to worry about aging or pushing the production schedule for sequels.

Then as above, get noteworthy actors to drive in the box office. Maybe Bryan Cranston or others that worked on big pictures as A-list talent to draw in people for it. That's what Disney did for Ghibli.

That said, either go the DBZ route with their movies being off-canon adventures, or something new each time.

However after the comics and Korra, they're great idea people, but story is their weakest link. So regardless of format, there needs to be a director and staff that can faithfully reproduce the universe and not pull have the crap that the Promise did. There's no way people would d see a  Promise movie without certain changes  because it'd bomb due to the mediocrity of the plot and characterizations that make zero sense.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2016 07:15 pm »

Live action would be perfect if they treated it as the fictional Asian equivalent of Harry Potter and each 12 episodes as a movie. The casting layout would be done like mostly unknowns for the leads and are cast like the source , then high profile actors to draw in the base and justify the budget for the effects. And Ludi Lin as Zuko. There might be a few white people here and there in the background , or even brief shout-outs to cameos in the show such as Serena Williams or whoever else, but it'd not distract.

Oh, I'd love a live-action adaptation. Don't get me wrong. That being said, what I really want out of it is faithfulness to the source material. M. Night, unfortunately, only delivered half of that. And he did it in what is probably the worst way possible.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2016 09:39 pm »

The Funimation crew just replaced the Gohan and Alphonse actor since he got too old. Just find someone that sounds "sort-of" like the original and just roll with it, and have Zack Eisen voice a new character that's maybe critical to the plot. Preferably a woman so you don't have to worry about aging or pushing the production schedule for sequels.

I thought the woman who took over Alphonse did pretty well. When I first started watching Brotherhood, I accidentally saw an episode of the 2003 FMA series and didn't realize it was a different Al.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2016 11:09 pm »

Oh, I'd love a live-action adaptation. Don't get me wrong. That being said, what I really want out of it is faithfulness to the source material. M. Night, unfortunately, only delivered half of that. And he did it in what is probably the worst way possible.

I wasn't contesting that. Avatar:TLA should be an interesting action film that has the gravitas of a war film , face paced a martial arts from like Bourne and Wuxia but with the whimsy of Harry Potter.

I mean if they're going to make a fight scene realistic, it should be faster paced and dynamic that at its grasp is utterly lethal. Something that can't be dodged or parried without a struggle or another element.  Sokka in the TLA-verse would've been able to kill all the firebenders and take out the Fire Lord like John McClane or Ashley Williams from Evil Dead and Army of Darkness. And that's not right. 

Real fights are to the point, very brutal and extremely quick. Sure there's the drama aspect, but if someone wants realistically inclined fights , it has to be where it shows how terrifying the Fire Nation is. Otherwise we got a bunch of simpleton screwheads who could've taken on that with apparent ease that just decided to give the Fire Nation pity conquests. I bet the Air Nomads died just by waiting for them to arrive.

The Funimation crew just replaced the Gohan and Alphonse actor since he got too old. Just find someone that sounds "sort-of" like the original and just roll with it, and have Zack Eisen voice a new character that's maybe critical to the plot. Preferably a woman so you don't have to worry about aging or pushing the production schedule for sequels.

I thought the woman who took over Alphonse did pretty well. When I first started watching Brotherhood, I accidentally saw an episode of the 2003 FMA series and didn't realize it was a different Al.

I liked her too. I don't get this idea that they can't just replace the voice actor for it. As long as it's not a Sailor Moon situation where Cloverway Serena sounds nothing like in the DIC dub, then it's fine for me. 

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2016 06:16 pm »

Out of curiosity, did you see the Doctor Strange movie, and if so, what did you think of the martial arts combat?

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2016 12:15 am »

Out of curiosity, did you see the Doctor Strange movie, and if so, what did you think of the martial arts combat?

I want to see it, but haven't a chance. I'll probably do  tomorrow. There's martial arts in it?

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2016 03:16 pm »

Yeah, there's some nice fight scenes. My first reaction was, "Dang, why couldn't Last Airbender look like this?"

TekkiShodan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2016 03:14 pm »

Oh, I'd definitely like to see some fast-paced martial arts choreography in a live-action TLA movie.  What M. Night did (six earthbenders moving one rock slooooowly) is inexcusable, even for 2009 when it came out.
What should happen is tendrils of water at such a high pressure that it would leave cuts, rocks moving so fast it would crush bone, and fire so hot it would leave burns if it so much as grazed you.  Make no mistake, this would be a darker edge of the ATLA universe, even more so than Korra.
I suppose they could reboot the live-action "franchise" with a better director (Perhaps JJ Abrams, any of the Bourne directors, or even Peter Jackson) like they did with the Spider-Man franchise, and have a completely new cast.
So that begs the question: Who would be a good Gaang cast?  Who would be a good Krew cast?

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places.  If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2016 10:01 pm »

Oh, I'd definitely like to see some fast-paced martial arts choreography in a live-action TLA movie.  What M. Night did (six earthbenders moving one rock slooooowly) is inexcusable, even for 2009 when it came out.
What should happen is tendrils of water at such a high pressure that it would leave cuts, rocks moving so fast it would crush bone, and fire so hot it would leave burns if it so much as grazed you.  Make no mistake, this would be a darker edge of the ATLA universe, even more so than Korra.
I suppose they could reboot the live-action "franchise" with a better director (Perhaps JJ Abrams, any of the Bourne directors, or even Peter Jackson) like they did with the Spider-Man franchise, and have a completely new cast.
So that begs the question: Who would be a good Gaang cast?  Who would be a good Krew cast?
I don't like J.J.Abrams that much because his films feel lacking. Peter Jackson only if Guillermo Del Toro works on the Spirit World scenes and the general art direction, and for sure any of the Bourne directors,especially the first one. Seeing how fast-paced the combat and action scenes are ifs how I'd see a darker version of the premise work out. But darker? Jerry Bruckheimer should be the director ideally, mixing with the art direction of Del Toro, and fighting choreography from Sifu Kisu.

No. I don't want another F4ntastic or X childish dark generic film like Batman vs. Superman. We're post Avengers era. It can be the same tone as the show and it'd work.

Ludi Lin- Zuko. Banking on Power Rangers reboot to make him more popular and a draw. Even so, he nails it.
Hudson Yang -Aang.  Of course he'll have to workout to get Aang's build. also chosen for comedic factor.
Forrest Goodluck - Sokka
Rachel Colwell- Katara
Wenwen Han  or Ah-sung Ko -Toph
Sammo Hung- Iroh
Rick Mora- Hakoda
Roseanne Supernault - Kya

TLOK?

Korra:  Katrina Kavanaugh
Mako: Kaneshiro Takeshi /Booboo Stewart
Bolin: Yuki Sakamoto
Asami: Utada Hikaru or Marie Digby

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: