Jun 27, 2017 04:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Horse - Avatar the Last Airbender Adult Colouring Book for October 5th  (Read 1862 times)
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« on: Jun 15, 2016 06:05 pm »

This 45 page long 'adult colouring book' will be sold for $14.99 and features illustrations from Jed Henry. The prints themselves will be on 'heavy-duty 10 x 10-inch paper.'

The description reads:

'Relive your favorite scenes from Avatar: The Last Airbender with this beautifully detailed coloring book. Filled with original black-and-white illustrations by artist Jed Henry and produced in collaboration with creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, this book is sure to be a hit with the Avatar fanatic in your life.'

Here are some links to Jed Henry's previous Avatar related works. Personally, I think the art showcased looks quite pretty. His artwork has a clear 'traditional' style. Not too keen on colouring books though - I'm afraid to ruin them!  Tongue
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2016 06:12 pm by Fieryfurnace » Logged
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2016 06:39 pm »

'adult colouring book'

Oh.

Oh wait. No. What. Why did I think...well I guess it's time to digress - yeah I wouldn't want to ruin the pictures either especially since they are original works.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2016 05:00 pm »

On the one hand, I think the "adult coloring book" is both horrifically misnamed (see ahintoflime's joke above) and a silly fad.

On the other hand, that's really good art and probably worth the price.

Eh, maybe I'll combine it with that poster book on Amazon and get free shipping.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2016 07:20 pm »

I never understood the "adult colouring book" fad either but that is some impressive ATLA art.

And off topic but holy cow, that Firefly artbook looks rad!

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2016 04:44 am »

I can actually see myself buying it. Though no way I would try to color it  Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2016 05:52 am »

I wonder how thick the "heavy duty" paper would be though. Imagine 45 pages of thick paper... must be heavy.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2016 01:22 pm »

My brother got me an adult coloring book for Christmas. The paper is pretty heavy and sturdy, closer to card stock than computer paper.
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2016 05:24 pm »

My brother got me an adult coloring book for Christmas. The paper is pretty heavy and sturdy, closer to card stock than computer paper.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Sig by guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2016 02:25 pm »

The artwork looks too gorgeous to be drawn on, I'm surprised these weren't released as a collection of posters instead. 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2016 02:36 pm »

The artwork looks too gorgeous to be drawn on, I'm surprised these weren't released as a collection of posters instead. 

AFAIK, you are supposed to scan and re-print those pages for the coloring.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
tlmonster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2016 11:49 am »

This is so exciting! Definitely getting one.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2016 06:29 pm »

It's awesome. I was pleased when I found out about this. I am going to have to pick it up when it comes out and get some high quality colored pencils.
Scanning the pictures might not be a bad idea, as it can allow you to use scanned sheets instead of the original pages.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2016 11:19 pm »

It looks like Dark Horse is holding a couple of Avatar related contests:
One is a trivia contest:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2391/avatar-month-2016-trivia-contest
The other is relevant to this thread, as it’s a coloring contest:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2392/avatar-month-2016-coloring-contest
I suspect that the images in the second contest might be from upcoming coloring book, so it also serves as a preview of sorts.
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2016 01:14 am »

I'm a little slow on the uptake and I'm not all that big into merchandise BUT I WANT THIS.

ArtFicsGraphics
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2016 03:21 am »

i like those. there's that Avatar-Wan-flashback styling on it. Katara is badass. i really like the avatar cycle one. it even includes Avatar Jafar and Avatar Gimli Cheesy

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2016 05:35 pm »

I want to know why I haven't seen any of these colored yet. I flipped through it in my comic shop, and I had mixed reactions to the B&W art, but I think it will all look really great in color.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2016 11:14 pm »

I want to know why I haven't seen any of these colored yet. I flipped through it in my comic shop, and I had mixed reactions to the B&W art, but I think it will all look really great in color.

Gotta dig around a bit in the weird place that is tumblr.
http://monosrojo.tumblr.com/post/151448934098/i-colored-this-for-dark-horses-avatar-month

It can be fruitful though. There's still so much love for Avatar: the Last Airbender.
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2016 04:32 am »

I want it precisely because I want to color it. I can't promise the results would be decent, though. I'm better at black and white.

ArtFicsGraphics
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2016 08:33 am »

I've bought the colouring book and quite a few images from Books 1 & 2 are hilarious. If you were looking for exact "screenshots" from the show to colour, you'll be disappointed. The images are heavily dramatized and don't really follow the show.

Some funny examples are:
- Katara fighting during the Southern Air Temple episode... which never happened?
- Sokka on a bridge saying goodbye to Spirit!Yue
- Sokka and Suki kissing in the middle of the forest during the Serpent's Pass episode
- The Dai Li agents are depicted as ordinary EK soldiers with chains which is a big fail right there
- Freaking buff Iroh in a gymnast position in his jailbreak episode is the one exception of an image from Book 3 being very silly

The finale images are much more serious and epic. They feature Zuko vs Azula, Katara vs Azula, and Aang vs Ozai that are amazing to me and would look great if coloured.

Verdict? Given the sheer goofiness of the images, this is more of a kids colouring book than an adult colouring book to me.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2016 06:41 pm »

You forgot Iroh smoking an opium pipe while dealing with a cranky Zuko. Grin

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2016 02:26 am »

I was more distracted by the outlandish patterns on Iroh's robes to notice his pipe, honestly.

I wonder whom they hired to draw these. They were extremely entertaining.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: