Jun 24, 2017 10:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which do you like most?
Fire.
Air.
Water.
Earth.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite element?  (Read 1555 times)
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« on: Mar 20, 2016 12:41 pm »

Why is it your favorite? What element is your least favorite? If you could bend how would you use it, would it be for good or evil?

I came to slay.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2016 06:50 pm »

Defantly Fire, passion and drive and having great eyebrows (unibrow if you're Zuzu).

Did you miss me?
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2016 08:24 pm »

It was originally fire, but then I changed it to earthbending after seeing just how powerful it can be. Plus lavabending was pretty sweet, would've loved to see a Bumi level earthbender doing some metal and lavabending, that would've been awesome.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016 08:26 pm by luvavatar » Logged
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2016 08:38 pm »

I like fire because it's visually the most exciting element. Earth is my least favorite even though it's pretty awesome; earthbending fights just aren't as interesting to me.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2016 09:56 am »

Agreed. Fire is pretty eye catching andva lot easier to spot out when there is a fight. It's also my favorite because It's diverse when it comes to weaponry, having the options to use raw heat, fire, electricity, or explosives to attack. Least favorite is waterbending because it's kind of boring and unreliable, who wants to carry a pouch everywhere?

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2016 05:30 pm »

I've always liked Water, myself. Katara quickly learned to pull water from the air, and being near some water isn't usually a problem in civilized areas. And then there's the fact that it can heal physical injuries. I dunno, in terms of general utility, it seems ideal, and let's not forget that a little cleverness was all it took for Katara to defeat a Comet-powered, lightning-pitting Azula.

Plus, I like the look of Tai Chi.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2016 06:04 pm »

Earthbending, while savage, will probably make yard work a lot easier. So I choose that.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2016 07:14 pm »

Katara quickly learned to pull water from the air, and being near some water isn't usually a problem in civilized areas.
Quickly pull out a small amount. They would need to be near a fountain or something because cities or villages don't just have flowing water on every turn.

I came to slay.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2016 09:28 pm »

Depends on the circumstances. Right now, firebending would be best for me.

In a zombie apocalypse, Earthbending would be the best bet due to the fact that I can make the best defenses single-handed. This also includes a lava moat.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2016 05:56 pm »

Katara quickly learned to pull water from the air, and being near some water isn't usually a problem in civilized areas.
Quickly pull out a small amount. They would need to be near a fountain or something because cities or villages don't just have flowing water on every turn.

It's not the volume of water that matters, but how you use it.

And yeah, I think most major settlements have water at pretty much every turn. Just like trying to strand Magneto in the middle of Central Park isn't going to accomplish anything, anyone attempting to strand a Waterbending in the middle of a seemingly dry Ba Sing Se street is going to get a very quick and painful lesson on aqueducts of the ancient world.

(I kind of did a lot of reading on Chinese aqueducts for a fanfic.)

Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2016 07:33 pm »

It's not the volume of water that matters, but how you use it.
How would an waterbender defend themselves from tornadoes and rock-a-lanches with less than 8 ounces of water? The opposing bender would laugh at the little droplets of water they are firing from their finger tips.

And yeah, I think most major settlements have water at pretty much every turn. Just like trying to strand Magneto in the middle of Central Park isn't going to accomplish anything, anyone attempting to strand a Waterbending in the middle of a seemingly dry Ba Sing Se street is going to get a very quick and painful lesson on aqueducts of the ancient world.
That's not the case, I've never went into the city and saw free flowing water on every block. Unless the waterbender has enough raw strength to summon sewage water or rip open fire hydrants, which isn't gonna happen because they require a moon boost to even pull water from a tree. The waterbender may be able to find small amounts of water that's concealed close by?

Just like trying to strand Magneto in the middle of Central Park isn't going to accomplish anything,
Well of course, this is the same guy who can summon metal from space and alter the entire Earth's electromagnetic field, his abilities are like limitless, and it's not like he just manipulates metal. No waterbender even comes close to his raw power, he doesn't need a boost or extensive training to bloodbend someone.

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2016 08:05 pm »

How would an waterbender defend themselves from tornadoes and rock-a-lanches with less than 8 ounces of water? The opposing bender would laugh at the little droplets of water they are firing from their finger tips.

By striking first, striking quicker. That's why all of martial arts doesn't consist of a single haymaker punch. Grin

That's not the case, I've never went into the city and saw free flowing water on every block. Unless the waterbender has enough raw strength to summon sewage water or rip open fire hydrants, which isn't gonna happen because they require a moon boost to even pull water from a tree. The waterbender may be able to find small amounts of water that's concealed close by?

Katara pulled water all the way from the polluted lake to the factory at the top of the cliff, in a single second, and did it without the aid of a full moon. She also pulled water out of a field of flowers in broad daylight.

You're severely underestimating the range of Waterbending and the ubiquity of plumbing networks.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2016 12:06 am »

Earthbending!  To crush my enemies, and build my house.  Grin

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2016 06:43 am »

Katara pulled water all the way from the polluted lake to the factory at the top of the cliff, in a single second, and did it without the aid of a full moon. She also pulled water out of a field of flowers in broad daylight.

You're severely underestimating the range of Waterbending and the ubiquity of plumbing networks.
No, it is you who is over stating waterbending range. Katara pulling water from a river directly below the factory isn't proving much, she didn't rip it from a metal container or deep below ground, and it didn't take a second, she charged that.

That factory already contained water, so Katara possibly could have used the water supply within the building.

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2016 04:56 pm »

No, it is you who is over stating waterbending range. Katara pulling water from a river directly below the factory isn't proving much, she didn't rip it from a metal container or deep below ground, and it didn't take a second, she charged that.

...how inaccessible and deep underground do you think plumbing and sewer systems are?

That factory already contained water, so Katara possibly could have used the water supply within the building.

The scene specifically has her pulling the water in through the windows that were facing the river.

Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2016 09:18 pm »

how inaccessible and deep underground do you think plumbing and sewer systems are?
Deep. But that's besides the point. Fact is, no waterbender has ever demonstrated the skill of being able draw water from underground, or even have the strength to force the water through all of that concrete, dirt and metal along the way. A waterbender magically sensing water underground and summoning it fast enough to attack, just ain't gonna happen.

Not even masters like Lin could sense or manipulate the bendable metal inside the Colosuss, waterbenders don't have seismic sense so there luck of locating water that's not openly flowing is gone. Firebenders are unique because they don't need a source, giving them one just makes them even more dangerous which is why I like them.

The scene specifically has her pulling the water in through the windows that were facing the river.
I'm not saying it wasn't facing the river, but those windows look pretty tinted to me. So how can we know for sure. Plus it's like I said, it's not like she was forcing water to erupt from solid ground or something, just some thin windows near a water source. It's highly likely that water came from another room within the factory, they would need lots of water.

I came to slay.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2016 05:24 am »

Fact is, no waterbender has ever demonstrated the skill of being able draw water from underground

Actually...

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2016 07:48 am »

Actually...
Actually they knew there was trapped water because besides the fact that Jet told them and the obvious geyser holes everywhere, there was steam erupting from an already formed path. It's not like they ripped water from the ground out of no where. I don't need to rephrase that qoute, because you didn't qoute it all, like this:

Fact is, no waterbender has ever demonstrated the skill of being able draw water from underground, or even have the strength to force the water through all of that concrete, dirt and metal along the way.
Geysers already have paths for the water to emerge.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2016 07:54 am by Stormy Daze » Logged

I came to slay.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2016 08:16 am »

^My point is that waterbenders can indeed bend water that is underground. They just have to know about it. Similarly to the "geyserbending" in Jet, a waterbender can bend sewage from the sewer system provided that he knows about it.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2016 10:38 am »

I think you're missing the point. The waterbender can only bend water that's underground if there is a pathway to pull it up. No waterbender is gonna be bending any type of sewage unless they are near a sewage drain or an open manhole that has an opening for the water to escape.

They will not be ripping random holes in the ground themselves so they are pretty much screwed unless they find a drain, which won't have water unless it has recently rained.

On top of this, they won't be able to sense exactly where the water is or bend it, if earth an unbendable element is concealing it deep underground. So you can't compare solid concrete to a geyser with pathways already formed and releasing steam, due to the geysers eventually going to erupt on there own.

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2016 01:24 pm »

I'm confused- are we debating about modern cities, olden cities, fights, utility bending, or the interaction between elements?

Because when we get to a point where we're doing "Firebenders beat Waterbenders" and "I call shenanigans on this particular screenshot but this other particular screenshot completely proves my point" then I'm out.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2016 02:44 pm »

Why is it your favorite? What element is your least favorite? If you could bend how would you use it, would it be for good or evil?
I am under the impression that this thread was never meant to be a debate topic about Element X vs Element Y.

I suggest everyone get back on topic.

Admin's post, do not reply or it will be deleted.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2016 08:38 am »

Earth is my favorite because it is the most diverse, a metal bender can have many hidden utilities. I also favor it because earth benders can shape the environment into what ever they'd like; lava bending being great at doing that.

Sig by guitarfreak
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fear The Old Blood!

« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2016 11:06 am »

As much as I like Water and the others, I would have to say Fire for obvious reasons and that lightning is classed as it in their lore.

I like storms and lightning is definitely my favourite phenomena.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." — H.P. Lovecraft
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2016 08:19 pm »

My favorite is actually a tie between airbending and earthbending, but that wasn't an option, so I chose the one I spent so many years obsessing over. (Air.)

My least favorite is firebending. Not that it's bad, but I just don't have much of an interest in it.

If I was an airbender, I would use my ability for good. I by nature fall under the "lawful good" category, and I love helping people.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: