Aug 16, 2017 11:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 1 (16.7%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 1 (16.7%)
7 - 1 (16.7%)
6 - 1 (16.7%)
5 - 1 (16.7%)
4 - 1 (16.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #13] North and South, Part 1  (Read 3637 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2016 04:37 pm »

I see Gene has a thing about pairing parents of the Gaang off to his OCs, first Ursa, now Hakoda. Katara is going to flip while Sokka's going to be throwing up after witnessing that! I'm pretty sure this will just be cliche, meaningless drama.

I wouldn't call two instances a real trend, yet. For all we know, Gene could just be an anti-Urkoda shipper and wants to sink any possibility of it happening.

If Ozai gets a new beau, we can start to wonder. If Toph's and Mai's parents also wind up marrying new characters, then it's time for an intervention.

When Aang's parents show up alive and dating other people, then I think it's time to burn the franchise down.

Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2016 04:32 am »

I see Gene has a thing about pairing parents of the Gaang off to his OCs, first Ursa, now Hakoda. Katara is going to flip while Sokka's going to be throwing up after witnessing that! I'm pretty sure this will just be cliche, meaningless drama.

I wouldn't call two instances a real trend, yet. For all we know, Gene could just be an anti-Urkoda shipper and wants to sink any possibility of it happening.

If Ozai gets a new beau, we can start to wonder. If Toph's and Mai's parents also wind up marrying new characters, then it's time for an intervention.

When Aang's parents show up alive and dating other people, then I think it's time to burn the franchise down.

Well, Mai's parents are divorced, so... open season? I'll admit. Aang's parents... lol, I'll get the petrol ready just in case.

Also, Urkoda was a ship? Were people thinking "Ursa deserves a nice, good-looking, single guy after all she's been through" and Hakoda was an available character?
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2016 05:47 pm by Blue Warpath » Logged

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2016 07:43 am »

^it sounds more like a sunk, raised, patched with driftwood plan B for zutara to me. but wait, if you call now, you get the set complete with renewed steam baby possibilities. with extra half-sibling drama points!

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2016 06:13 pm »

I admit, I used to ship it until I read fanfic for it and realized how boring it is, but I mainly liked the idea of Azula and Katara having to get along as step-siblings. I even started writing a comedy fanfic where Ozai's lighting Zuko's face on fire gets the kids taken away from him by Fire Nation Protection Services For the Glory Of Our Conquering Nation and sent to their mother, who just married Hakoda. It was going to be about the kids failing to get along in the South Pole, and end with Azula running away in a dour, serious moment.

But anyway, I think the original impetuous behind the ship was that the series ended with them both unattached, and the other other single adults of note were all Old White Lotus Men. Piandao/Ursa had a small following, from what I saw, but I think Piandao also had a fandom that found him compelling as gay or ace, so the Ursa ship never quite caught fire.

Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2016 05:44 pm »

I admit, I used to ship it until I read fanfic for it and realized how boring it is, but I mainly liked the idea of Azula and Katara having to get along as step-siblings. I even started writing a comedy fanfic where Ozai's lighting Zuko's face on fire gets the kids taken away from him by Fire Nation Protection Services For the Glory Of Our Conquering Nation and sent to their mother, who just married Hakoda. It was going to be about the kids failing to get along in the South Pole, and end with Azula running away in a dour, serious moment.

But anyway, I think the original impetuous behind the ship was that the series ended with them both unattached, and the other other single adults of note were all Old White Lotus Men. Piandao/Ursa had a small following, from what I saw, but I think Piandao also had a fandom that found him compelling as gay or ace, so the Ursa ship never quite caught fire.

Did you write that fanfic? I'd read it Cheesy

I guess it makes sense, anyway, I think I actually remember reading a fic about Ursa/Hakoda years ago (as in, I think I was like twelve or something). Don't remember it at all or really get the appeal (although Azula being Katara's evil stepsister is gold, even if it wouldn't last long since one of them would probably kill the other!).

Although, I'm also guilty of a Water+Fire pairing that doesn't really make much sense. I really liked and still kind of do like Sokka being paired off with Azula. I just found it so freaking hilarious and they're my two favourite characters in one disturbing love basket... and the universe always was giving Sokka trouble. Love and trauma just fit him so well  Kiss Cry. I also felt like there'd be feels, mostly self-inflicted.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2016 05:48 pm by Blue Warpath » Logged

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2016 10:05 pm »

You know me, I'm always on board for some Sokkla Cheesy As for that Urkoda comedy, no, I never got beyond a single chapter sitting unpublished on my hard drive. And I wrote that the beginning of my fanficcing career, so it's probably terrible.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #31 on: Oct 18, 2016 01:06 am »

Done reading North and South Part 1. It feels like a mix of The Rift and The Promise but set in the SWT.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #32 on: Nov 11, 2016 08:13 am »

So I finally assembled my thoughts on this comic book after re-reading it for a fifth time, and I must say, while I think it is early to truly tell whether it is good or bad, I definitely have this feeling that GY is close to a creative burn-out regarding his ATLA stories. North and South is effectively a patchwork story from all the other comics so far: the conflict from the Rift, the politics from the Promise and the Smoke and Shadows, the sibling dynamics from the Search... I couldn't find much originality to be honest.

Otherwise, the story - even if it is filled with re-used panels - fit together nicely, the pacing in particular is superb in my opinion, so I will give GY the benefit of doubt and look forward for Part 2.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2016 10:51 am »

So I finally assembled my thoughts on this comic book after re-reading it for a fifth time, and I must say, while I think it is early to truly tell whether it is good or bad, I definitely have this feeling that GY is close to a creative burn-out regarding his ATLA stories. North and South is effectively a patchwork story from all the other comics so far: the conflict from the Rift, the politics from the Promise and the Smoke and Shadows, the sibling dynamics from the Search... I couldn't find much originality to be honest.

Otherwise, the story - even if it is filled with re-used panels - fit together nicely, the pacing in particular is superb in my opinion, so I will give GY the benefit of doubt and look forward for Part 2.
Maybe they should do a timeskip so we get some early Republic City based plots.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2016 06:50 pm »

Yeah, this is my general reaction, too. It's fine if repetitive (with little annoyances that people have documented in this thread like the technology and forgetting Pakku's cartoon dialogue), but I've been burned by getting optimistic after a Part 1 before, only to have Parts 2 & 3 go completely crazypants and literally forget the character arcs set up in the first part.

In the end, the only thing I have to say about Part 1 is that it made Nick Spencer's Ant-Man (which I got in the same Amazon order) seem that much more vivid and hilarious in comparison. Tongue

A more likely fix would be a new creative team. If Gene can't come up with new ideas when he has an entire world and thirty years in which to work, then I'm not sure how limiting him to The Most Boring City In The Franchise is going to provide a jumpstart.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2016 06:44 am »

I've been burned by getting optimistic after a Part 1 before, only to have Parts 2 & 3 go completely crazypants and literally forget the character arcs set up in the first part.

Eh, I can see the improvement in GY's storytelling. N&S Part 1 is better than S&S Part 1 that in turn was better than The Rift Part 1 and so on.
I still have...

hope  Grin!

A more likely fix would be a new creative team.

I think they could just let GY loose and let him tell whatever OC-fest story he wants. Then, after he had his fun, get him back to the grinding wheel.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2016 02:37 pm »

A more likely fix would be a new creative team. If Gene can't come up with new ideas when he has an entire world and thirty years in which to work, then I'm not sure how limiting him to The Most Boring City In The Franchise is going to provide a jumpstart.
Don't forget its alternative nickname "The only place in the world that villains love to launch their climactic attacks."

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2016 04:56 pm »

They're probably trying to avoid Ozai's mistake of making an unsettled forest at the edge of the continent the site of his climatic attack. Republic City may be boring, but at least it makes sense why it was targeted so often in Korra's lifetime.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #38 on: Nov 14, 2016 05:10 pm »

They're probably trying to avoid Ozai's mistake of making an unsettled forest at the edge of the continent the site of his climatic attack. Republic City may be boring, but at least it makes sense why it was targeted so often in Korra's lifetime.

I dunno, but Republic City always struck me as some sort of Doomsday City that has no other purpose but to take the bullet for the world.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2016 05:17 pm »

Hey, better Republic City than some other interesting place.

Anyway, maybe Republic City has some metaphysical property that attracts these kinds of attacks? It might be grounds for a good Avatar science-fiction story.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016 05:19 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2016 05:24 pm »

Anyway, maybe Republic City has some metaphysical property that attracts these kinds of attacks?

Maybe this "the four must remain separate" was not just a random mantra.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2016 05:37 pm »

If only Aang knew that his social experiment would lead to such absurdities as a giant blue woman and the Spirit of Chaos carebearing each other in the bay of Republic City, than maybe he wouldn't have bothered to built it in the first place. Roku warned him and the little monk tampered with the natural order anyway!
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016 06:40 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2016 06:44 pm »

"All right, boys, park the blimps."

"Here, Lord Ozai?"

"Yup, right here."

"But..."

"That's strange. I thought I heard the sound of a worthless subordinate having an opinion near me, but that can't be right."

"It's just... I'm not even sure how to update the logbooks. Where is here? It's just some random unsettled forest at the edge of the continent."

"This is where I'm going to have my final battle against the Avatar, of course. I thought that would be obvious."

"But even the die-hard fans are going to have the check the wiki to remember the name of this place!"

"True, but look at it! Check out those massive pillars of rock! Check out that coastline! Check out that beautiful view of the extended Earth Kingdom vistas! This place will look great on a widescreen TV."

"Lord Ozai, that's what you're basing your decision on?"

"Of course! Who cares about names or history or 'strategic value?' This place looks awesome, and will make for a cool jumping fight. Park the blimps and settle in for the best Final Battle in the franchise. I'm telling you, if you don't have a cool background when you're laying the smackdown on the hero, no one will give two shakes of a mole-rat's cute little rear for your epic confrontation. Then people won't have to check the wiki to remember the battle, they'll just have to check for a name no one really cares about anyway."

"...as you command, Lord Ozai."

"Darn flamin'."

Zyrax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Thirst is real

« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2016 06:32 am »

Is this good?
Should I read it?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2016 12:36 am »

In order:

It's passable for a Part 1.
For that answer, you must look within... unless you have a limited book budget, in which case there are other choices that would offer more value.

doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2016 11:29 am »

What happend to part 2 previews? Also it may he the lazt one because of that:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/811636610093711360
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2016 12:23 am »

DUN DUN DUN.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Izumi's mother is never revealed? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2016 02:15 pm »

DUN DUN DUN.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Izumi's mother is never revealed? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Please let it not be mai.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2016 02:45 pm »

DUN DUN DUN.

I'm fairly sure accidents would happen with Dark Horse if this was the case.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #49 on: Dec 23, 2016 09:40 pm »

DUN DUN DUN.

Please let it not be mai.

We're all entitled to our shipping opinions, but you might want to start getting used to the idea. It's entirely possible it will be confirmed one of these decades.

DUN DUN DUN.

I'm fairly sure accidents would happen with Dark Horse if this was the case.

They can always distract the mad AtLA fans by throwing free Usagi Yojimbo books at them.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: