Nov 24, 2017 07:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 1 (16.7%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 1 (16.7%)
7 - 1 (16.7%)
6 - 1 (16.7%)
5 - 1 (16.7%)
4 - 1 (16.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #13] North and South, Part 1  (Read 4044 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Feb 20, 2016 08:47 am »

This thread will be unlocked as soon as the book is officially released.

Penguin Random House announced that North and South, Part 1 will be released on September 27 2016. You can pre-order the book on Amazon.

North and South is written by writer/artist/creator Gene Luen Yang and illustrated by the creative team GuriHiru (illustrator Sasaki, Colorist Kawano).

This thread is for opinions & discussion about the story. Professional reviews [ur=http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24400.0]go into this thread[/url]. For questions on release dates and buying the books, see A:TLA Graphic Novels in the Marketplace. For speculation of North and South, Parts 2 & 3 and other future comics, please see North and South, Part 1, 2 & 3 – Speculations thread and Future Avatar Comics respectively.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2016 04:30 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2016 04:30 am »

The comic has been officially released in stores. Feel free to discuss the comic in here if you have read it.

As usual DO NOT post illegal links to read the comic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2016 05:05 am »

Do you know how much it cost on  Amazon Kindle Version/Dark Horse App?
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2016 06:29 pm »

Picked up my preorder from the comic book shop today. 

Spoilers!

Definitely a good start to this story.  Really, really liked the focus on Katara and Sokka.  They're such a great brother-sister pair, and I felt this comic really captured their dynamic well.  I think the comic actually benefits from Aang's absence to give Katara and Sokka a chance to shine (and I feel it's setting up to give Aang a Big Damn Entry at some point in the next couple books. Tongue) It's also interesting to see how fast the Southern Water Tribe has changed.  I'm intrigued by Malina and Malik as characters, to see more of what their goals are.  Seeing familiar faces like we haven't seen yet in the comics like Hakoda, Pakku, and Gran-Gran was fun as well.  I liked a few of the worldbuilding touches -- especially the idea of there being "construction benders" who specialize in construction rather than combat.  Gilak's motivations seem understandable, if misguided (at this point).  But he made a big mistake the moment he threatened Sokka.  I was just like "Don't do that man, Katara's gon' mess you up!".  The action sequences weren't too tense but they had a nice flow to them for a part 1.

And of course, that final panel...color me interested to see how THAT turns out. XD

Anyways, great start.  This might be my favorite first part of an ATLA comic story yet.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2016 01:40 am »

Picked up my preorder from the comic book shop today. 

Spoilers!

Definitely a good start to this story.  Really, really liked the focus on Katara and Sokka.  They're such a great brother-sister pair, and I felt this comic really captured their dynamic well.  I think the comic actually benefits from Aang's absence to give Katara and Sokka a chance to shine (and I feel it's setting up to give Aang a Big Damn Entry at some point in the next couple books. Tongue) It's also interesting to see how fast the Southern Water Tribe has changed.  I'm intrigued by Malina and Malik as characters, to see more of what their goals are.  Seeing familiar faces like we haven't seen yet in the comics like Hakoda, Pakku, and Gran-Gran was fun as well.  I liked a few of the worldbuilding touches -- especially the idea of there being "construction benders" who specialize in construction rather than combat.  Gilak's motivations seem understandable, if misguided (at this point).  But he made a big mistake the moment he threatened Sokka.  I was just like "Don't do that man, Katara's gon' mess you up!".  The action sequences weren't too tense but they had a nice flow to them for a part 1.

And of course, that final panel...color me interested to see how THAT turns out. XD

Anyways, great start.  This might be my favorite first part of an ATLA comic story yet.
The first parts are always bringing up a lot of questions which answerd only in the end...the long waitif between every part is the bad side of these books

But thanks for the great review
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2016 12:15 am »

This was a good beginning chapter in this new trilogy. I am a little upset that they're "modernizing" so quickly. I mean the snow mobiles that the two rebels jumped on looks like it would fit in The Legend of Korra more. I would rather see a slow build up to what will become the present as opposed to everything suddenly being built up and then present by the time of Korra. I know this story was released after The Legend of Korra, but now I'm even more upset that Katara sat out during the civil war that happened in book 2. Seeing that something like it had happened in her past and she played a part, it makes even less sense now that she couldn't be bothered to give counsel during the one in LOK.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016 12:26 am by luvavatar » Logged
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2016 01:12 am »

This was a good beginning chapter in this new trilogy. I am a little upset that they're "modernizing" so quickly. I mean the snow mobiles that the two rebels jumped on looks like it would fit in The Legend of Korra more. I would rather see a slow build up to what will become the present as opposed to everything suddenly being built up and then present by the time of Korra. I know this story was released after The Legend of Korra, but now I'm even more upset that Katara sat out during the civil war that happened in book 2. Seeing that something like it had happened in her past and she played a part, it makes even less sense now that she couldn't be bothered to give counsel during the one in LOK.

Remember that the Fire Nation had jet skis in Book Fire...
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2016 10:18 am »

But the jet skis still looked fairly steampunk, the snow mobiles look more modern than almost all of the vehicles we've seen during this period in Avatar history.

Also what the heck does Maliq carry in that briefcase, buckles? (bonus points if you get that reference)
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016 01:06 pm by luvavatar » Logged
Fieryfurnace
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just passin' through

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2016 03:08 pm »

Wow, I completely forgot the release date of this one! Well, I've read it now.

Aside from the ending, I enjoyed this one, though I do have some nitpicks. The relationship between Katara and Sokka was great, the pacing felt fine, the cast isn't anywhere near as cluttered as Smoke and Shadow (yet - we've still gotta jimmy Aang and Toph in here somewhere!), and Gene's following up the themes established in The Rift. There's even a direct callback in the comic itself. Honestly, The Rift and North and South flow very well together. I wish Smoke and Shadow had been moved behind this and given more time in the oven, because it's completely unrelated to the trilogy that came before it, and this works much better as a continuation. (Though Aang's absence would be a little strange, it could just be explained away with "he's doing Avatar things with Zuko in a totally civilised manner or whatever".) Overall, I think this is one of the best first parters we've had.

As for my specific thoughts:

You know, during Katara's dream sequence at the beginning, when she says to her mother "mom? You okay? How come you don't - ", I was honestly expecting her to finish with "move." Kya looks like a statue on the eighth page. Copy-pasted for three separate panels with no changes! Perhaps it was intentional to give Katara's dream a creepy vibe, but I think Gurihiru just employed some time saving measures and Axe Murderer Kya was an unfortunate consequence. Which is strange, because this comic took over a year to come out, but I digress. Also, Katara looks like she has a scar on the bridge of her nose on page 24 (though she is crying, I suppose), and Sokka's face is very oddly shaped when the Happy Mask Salesman finishes up his rat tale. Otherwise, the art is really nice. The establishing shots of the old and new Southern Water Tribes are well drawn, and I like the rustic feeling of Hakoda's temporary office.

Also Sokka's outfit is real snazzy. The stark black shadows look great.

Sokka makes a callback to "Sokka's Master" ("no one can read a map like you!") and Katara somehow has the memory of an elephant because she actually remembers the only specific instance in which she complimented Sokka's map reading skills. Wow! Reading this, you wouldn't think that over two years have passed since the end of ATLA, but there you are. I'm impressed, Katara.

I actually don't mind the addition of Malina, though the shade of her hair was really distracting to me when reading for whatever reason. It's too bright, darn it!  Tongue  Not a big fan of Maliq just yet, though. His design is a little plain/recycled. I wonder what the relevance of them spending more time in the Earth Kingdom than the Northern Water Tribe will be, or if it's just another 'the nations are becoming more mixed and diverse' throwaway tidbit. I hope her thing with Hakoda doesn't become a source of manufactured, poorly handled drama even though it probably will; that's my biggest concern with the cliffhanger.

Katara could have turned those kids into ice lollies by just bending the snow around their snowmobile. C'mon Katara, Sokka showed more initiative than that. You're telling me she ran all the way down the stairs and bent snow to stop Sokka's fall, but didn't think to bend some around the kids when Sokka grabbed the boy's arm? Or, she could have forced the snowmobile to turn around by bending the thick snow in front like she does with her ice sled later in the comic. Or, she could have made an ice wall to stop them like she does to the Southern warriors later in the comic. Or, she could have flipped the thing over by bending a water/snow spiral directly underneath it like she does to escape Gilak's hideout later in the comic...

So, we have yet another secret society ready to overthrow the leader of their respective nation led by an unhinged older man. At least I can understand where he's coming from; some of Malina and Maliq's comments did throw me the wrong way. I'm surprised Sokka didn't show more curiosity as to what was actually in the briefcase. I would have thought he'd have asked Maliq why it's so important to begin with, but hey, we need mysteries for the trilogy. Glad Sokka's being considerate. The two of them then walk in on Hakoda and Malina sucking eachother's faces off in what is probably the least awkward kissing shot Gurihiru have ever drawn, so well done to them.

So yeah. I really liked it, though I did have to suspend my disbelief with the getaway of the kids in particular. I'm curious as to how Aang and Toph are going to contribute, since Katara and Sokka could honestly carry this entire trilogy on their own. I'm quite engaged so far. I'll put it at 7/10.
Fat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2016 03:06 pm »

I actually don't mind the addition of Malina, though the shade of her hair was really distracting to me when reading for whatever reason. It's too bright, darn it!  Tongue

Upon seeing the final page, my reaction was that maybe Sokka's thing for redheads is hereditary.  Grin

I've personally been looking forward to this comic for a long while now. As well Gene Yang's been able to capture Katara and Sokka's sibling relationship in the past, it's only been in short bursts and they've both been left in the background a little as Zuko, Aang, Zuko, Toph and Zuko take the limelight. This is the first time the Water Tribe kids have had a chance to play catch up, so I'm ever so pleased that Gene decided to make this first issue just about them, and nothing feels like it's lost by letting the story be told that way. Katara and Sokka's dynamic is tried and tested, they're two parts of a whole, they complement and balance each other so well that they're absolutely able to carry this story on their own.

In fact, I'd argue that the pacing is actually improved by having such a limited version of Team Avatar taking the lead. The story has more of a chance to breathe by just being able to focus on just Sokka and Katara and not Sokka and Katara plus the rest of Team Avatar or Sokka and Katara, plus the rest of Team Avatar, plus Air Acolytes, plus Kyoshi Warrior guards, plus metalbending students, plus the extended Fire Nation Royal dynasty etc. etc. This is certainly the most streamlined the comics have felt in quite some time, so I actually have some reservations regarding the impending introductions of Toph and Aang in later issues.

As for the plot itself, it does seem like more of the same sort of thing we've already seen. Tensions arising from mixing cultures, rampant progress trampling over traditions, secret cells looking to revolt. Katara's flashback to The Rift made me chuckle, as it came across like the comic telling me "Remember that? Yeah, it's like that but with snow." and yet at other times, I felt as though North & South was telling its story more subtly than similar plots from the comics and LoK. I actually did feel some sense of loss at how "Northern" the new tribal city looked and that certainly felt intentional to me. The Southern Tribe always seemed to have a simple, untouched charm to it and to see it just becoming another city does leave an unsavory taste that has me sympathize a little more with Gilak than I ever did Loban or Ukano.

So yeah, I generally liked it. I've got some niggles over just how doofy Sokka is still being portrayed. I appreciate that he's the comic relief guy but he can't seem to go 5 minutes without playing buttmonkey. To his credit, he's an accomplished hunter who was feeding an entire village aged 14, but he isn't capable of tracking a couple of kids through a single corridor without tripping a wire? Whatever happened to him being actually smart and tactically aware while also being funny?

Still, really looking forward to part 2. Also, glad to see Hakoda's getting some because he's far too fine of a man to be staying single for the rest of his life. Who knows, maybe Katara and Sokka will have their own little, Water Tribe version of Kiyi running around in a few issues.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2016 05:02 am »

Aw I just saw their reunite with Gran Gran they aren't supposed to respond this way
Im afraid Gene lost it

I hope that The Search and The Rift are not the only good ones...
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2016 09:03 am »

Can you elaborate on how they're not supposed to respond that way in their reunion with Gran Gran? It's short and not overly emotional, which makes sense as that's expected with someone like Gran Gran.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2016 12:11 pm »

Well I was suprised that they forgot so soon that Pakku and Gran Gran together...but Im taking it back beacause 2 years passed since 'The old Masters' .

I really liked the comics, but Im missing Aang.
I really like how Katara realized that she respond exactly like Aang to the progression, Can't wait to sew Aang back.
Without Aang its kind of feel empty...I mean the whole comics is just reuntions and chasing that blueprints. But thats why Im more expecting for part 2
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2016 01:57 pm »

That part in the reunion didn't make much sense and I still hate that snowmobile. It looks even more modern than the one Tonraq ride in LOK. Plus they invented the lightbulb and electricity already? I think they are moving way too fast.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2016 03:21 pm »

It does make since ever since they were only engaged

Fire nation already had snowmobiles they aren't moving too fast
Lightbulb isn't a big thing. Lets say that TLA is like 1850

Take it easy
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2016 03:25 pm »

The Fire Nation had tanks and jet skis, but they were still steampunk inspired. The snowmobile the two teens got on looked way too advanced in comparison to everything seen thus far, it's out of place. I just think there should be more of a build up with the technology, to see it go from being steampunk inspire to more of the streamlined aesthetics present during LOK.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2016 05:30 pm »

The Fire Nation had tanks and jet skis, but they were still steampunk inspired. The snowmobile the two teens got on looked way too advanced in comparison to everything seen thus far, it's out of place. I just think there should be more of a build up with the technology, to see it go from being steampunk inspire to more of the streamlined aesthetics present during LOK.
You arw probaly right, but it's a minor thing and there isn't enought space on the comics for it. Plus, its a natural progressig. We already saw Sokka's submarine getting fresh style in smoke and shadow
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2016 07:38 pm »

Yeah, but I feel like they're rushing the transition. I mean in LOK we saw a few flashbacks and it was made obvious that they were progressing in various stages. Such as when we saw Korra having visions of what was going on with Yakone as well as when Lin and Su were growing up. Here it feels quite sudden, I know I'm nitpicking but I still wish they'd slow down a little bit with the modernization. There are several decades for that.

Also one more small nitpick, not a big fan of some characters getting dots for eyes.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2016 07:48 pm by luvavatar » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2016 10:28 pm »

On the whole "Why were Katara and Sokka shocked that Pakku and Kanna are now married" it's possible Pakku meant he and Kanna just got engaged when he told Katara and Sokka the news during Sozin's Comet and after the war they decided to postpone the date to help with rebuilding the South.
doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2016 02:32 am »

On the whole "Why were Katara and Sokka shocked that Pakku and Kanna are now married" it's possible Pakku meant he and Kanna just got engaged when he told Katara and Sokka the news during Sozin's Comet and after the war they decided to postpone the date to help with rebuilding the South.
I know I just realized it after I read it again

Man I barley survived 2 months of waiting to this part how am I going to wait to February
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2016 02:41 am by doratchi » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2016 09:07 pm »

The exact lines from the cartoon are:

Pakku: (Bowing in return) It is respectful to bow to an old master but how about a hug (opens his arms) for your new grandfather? (Cut to a close up of shocked Katara with an equally dumbfounded Sokka behind her. Katara's expression changes into happiness)
Katara: That's so exciting. (She opens her arms and embraces Pakku) You and Gran Gran must be so happy to have found each other again.
Pakku: I made her a (He touches an area below his collar bone) new betrothal necklace and everything. (Sokka comically enters the screen and hugs Pakku by the neck)
Sokka: Welcome to the family Great Gramp.
Pakku: You can still just call me (He pushes Sokka off him) Pakku.
Sokka: (Cut to Sokka who smiles goofily) How about Grand Pakku?
Pakku: (Cut to a serious Pakku) No. (Camera pans out to show a disappointed Sokka)

I guess Pakku could be jumping the gun with his descriptions, and the Water sibs took him literally.

It's actually a nice change of pace to just retcon the meaning behind some dialogue rather than ignoring whole character arcs.

doratchi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2016 08:40 am »

That was nice if they add some more flashbacks from Katara
That wasn't what I expected, I though that it's going to be more emotional rather than chasing blueprints

I hope the next one would be better
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2016 08:56 pm »

Well this was an okay start. It did seem to go by very fast. I am glad to see Sokka and Katara they get their moment in the spotlight.

I think this could be or maybe should be a conflict that is resolved peacefully like in The Promise, no villain, just like the conflict be gray. I don't know if they are going to do that. Gilak seems crazy and I don't know even Aang's mediation skills will be enough for him, he seems kind of crazy to me, and Maliq seems very shaky, I wonder what is in that briefcase and his rant about justice at the end, I have a kind of Hiroshi vibe about him. I think something bad happened to his parents and has something to do with the SWT, and whoever was responsible got away and now he is bitter, that is just my theory.

Pakku and Gran Gran just eloped like a couple of teenagers, they feel young, I love it.

I know some people are saying Melina was kind of rude in some parts, and that means she is a villain, I don't know, I remember Suyan Beifong could be rude and she wasn't a villain, she might have create a villain (and no I am not talking about Jr., I am talking about Kurvira, outside of Kurvira herself, I place the most blame of Su for that), we will see. I hope not, it would be an easy out for Katara not to have another woman in her dad's life That goes against the whole moving on, which is what the moral story I think they are going for.

Speaking of which, doesn't this remind you a bit about The Northern Airtemple episode.

And of course Sokka is going to take great offense to whatever mean things Gilak has to say about the north, don't forget who his first love was. Just like Katara will probably get over what happened to her mother, same thing with Sokka and Yue. Though unlike Katara, he has been able to move on with his life.

And the ending, OMG Katara is going to explode after seeing that, you thought she was made at Hakoda in the beginning of Book 3, you have seen nothing yet.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2016 08:25 pm »

Speaking of which, doesn't this remind you a bit about The Northern Airtemple episode.

I said that about The Rift, too.

NAT wasn't even that great an episode, and we're getting it three times, now. Cheesy

Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2016 02:39 pm »

Hmm.

Okay, in areas, I guess. Did like the more exploration of Southern culture (the Snow Rat story was nice) and the whole "their eradicating our culture" bit, which was true, the Southern Water tribe does look like the Northern Water Tribe now but with way more generic structures and designs (I swear it looked like a normal town completely painted white), someone should fire Malina and her brother! Kudos also for exploring the arrogance of the Northern Water Tribe and the perceptions on both sides, I see what Hahn said to Sokka had some cultural depth now!

Really hate the Korrification in some of the panels, such as the persistence of western hair (with brief-case-losing guy I have just forgotten the name of), which never really made sense and takes me out of it a little (hell, I didn't even like it that much in Korra) and the modern technology like the snow mobiles which didn't have a lick of creativity and were just boring (where is the steampunk?). The conflict is overdone just like the fish pie I made yesterday, which is saying much  (P.S. I'm a terrible cook).

I see Gene has a thing about pairing parents of the Gaang off to his OCs, first Ursa, now Hakoda. Katara is going to flip while Sokka's going to be throwing up after witnessing that! I'm pretty sure this will just be cliche, meaningless drama.

It's funny seeing Katara weaker. Was she on pause when those kids stole the suitcase? Sokka and her didn't even bother to react until they were half-way out the door and Malina was hurt, in the show Katara would have handled those brats easy, and I kind of feel like Katara would be able to absolutely handle those Patriot Mooks instead of running away like a little girl (what was all that about letting the old man block their path? I can think of ways of getting past him without hurting him!). I guess the show spoiled me, but I know Katara is capable of way more than she did in that comic!

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: