Dec 16, 2017 02:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, where exactly did Aang and Katara live for the 40 something years inbetween  (Read 3867 times)
TheBeachandAzula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Jun 03, 2016 09:46 pm »

I dunno, he seemed like he intended to burn all of the Earth Kingdom and commit an even greater genocide than his grandfather.

Strawberries, cherries, and an angel's kiss in spring. My summer wine is really made of all these things. Take off your silver spurs and help me pass the time,
and I will give to you summer wine.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #51 on: Jun 04, 2016 09:14 am »

Get back on topic.

Admin's post, do not reply or it will be deleted.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: Jun 04, 2016 08:11 pm »

This has probably already been said, but here's my theory.

I think they generally stayed at the Southern Water Tribe. Aang and Tenzin went on lots of trips, especially to Air Temple Island. Katara probably didn't want to participate in that and rather help out at the SWT, and Kya and Bumi stayed with Katara, until they were old enough to go on their own. (Bumi joining the United Forces, and Kya traveling around to find herself were their way of seeing the world and making up for Aang not taking them on trips like Tenzin.) When Tenzin's old enough, he decides to live on ATI. And when Aang dies, he's buried at the SWT (the grave we see Korra give Lin her bending back) where he could be close to Katara. Perhaps this is why the Avatar reincarnates into Korra, so that she could continue to be close to Katara. This would explain why Katara stayed at the SWT while Aang traveled a lot. And then Kya moves back to the SWT to be there for Kya. I don't see why there has to be a divorce between them.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #53 on: Jun 05, 2016 11:29 am »

Most likely.  Smiley

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #54 on: Jun 05, 2016 07:44 pm »

I think they generally stayed at the Southern Water Tribe. Aang and Tenzin went on lots of trips, especially to Air Temple Island. Katara probably didn't want to participate in that and rather help out at the SWT, and Kya and Bumi stayed with Katara, until they were old enough to go on their own. (Bumi joining the United Forces, and Kya traveling around to find herself were their way of seeing the world and making up for Aang not taking them on trips like Tenzin.) When Tenzin's old enough, he decides to live on ATI. And when Aang dies, he's buried at the SWT (the grave we see Korra give Lin her bending back) where he could be close to Katara. Perhaps this is why the Avatar reincarnates into Korra, so that she could continue to be close to Katara. This would explain why Katara stayed at the SWT while Aang traveled a lot. And then Kya moves back to the SWT to be there for Kya. I don't see why there has to be a divorce between them.

I believe the reincarnation process was just more of a coincidence. A Water Avatar could have been born in the Foggy Swamp tribe and still had ties with the South. Or be in the North. I doubt an Avatar can control who or what it can regenerate into.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Jun 05, 2016 08:50 pm »

^You may be right. I respectfully disagree. If there is a spirit that passes from one person to the other (not Raava but the human spirit she bonded with) then who's to say that spirit is not conscious and can't make decisions. Iroh chose to stay in the spirit world. But I suppose that doesn't really matter when it comes to where Aang and Katara lived.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #56 on: Jun 06, 2016 03:57 pm »

The most glaring hole in this theory is the idea that Kataang settled at the South Pole, when Republic City was considered the city that Aang built. Did he just build it over the course of a couple of years and then go home and abandon it (except when Toph was having special trouble with some criminal)? It just seems odd that Aang would live in the back-end of nowhere, and sit in the snow and wait for word to get to him from places where he's needed. Yes, he took those trips with Tenzin, but they weren't described as superheroing trips.

And we still come back to the idea that Katara was fine planting herself in the back-end of nowhere while Aang traipsed around the world. How is that at all in character for Katara?

No, I'm still of the mind that a divorce is still the most plausible explanation for the characters. It hurts, but nothing else really explains the Katara side of it.

Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Jun 06, 2016 05:08 pm »

Katara obviously settled down eventually, and we know she had a desire to help her tribe. Maybe she did plant herself in the SWT while Aang made frequent trips to Republic City and other places where he was needed. There is a lot of time of separation, but not to the point of divorce.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #58 on: Jun 06, 2016 06:38 pm »

As a wise man said, "Never deny cool things."  I see a Kataang divorce as a cool thing, so I can't deny it.  It makes the cloud siblings' beef make more sense.  It explains why Katara was so off to the side.  (Though that doesn't excuse her staying out during LOK.)

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Jun 06, 2016 08:17 pm »

I admit I'm very attached to Kaatang and that's the main reason I don't like the idea of a divorce. Still, I'll believe it when I see it.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: Jun 06, 2016 11:39 pm »

And we still come back to the idea that Katara was fine planting herself in the back-end of nowhere while Aang traipsed around the world. How is that at all in character for Katara?
Well Katara wasn't really in character by the time of Legend of Korra. I mean she stayed in the South Pole when her son had his children. She didn't give counsel or comfort to Korra when her parents were on trial. She didn't even attend her granddaughter's ceremony (however Zuko went) in which she became a master airbender. The most important moment of her life and Katara couldn't hop on the same ship Senna did in order to visit for a short while? None of this sounds remotely like the Katara we saw from the original series. I mean Toph may have become a caricature of her old self, but at least there was a semblance of the Toph we remembered. If they didn't want to include her in things that would've made sense, then they probably should've let her pass away quietly. 
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Jun 07, 2016 03:36 am »

^I doubt they didn't want to include her, but rather it just didn't cross their minds.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #62 on: Jun 07, 2016 03:58 am »

^I fail to see how that's better Undecided

besides, when you decide what to draw in a cartoon scene, it passes through so many hands, story board, animation, color palettes, you name it. there's nothing random about it. when the scene is about a graduation/coming of age/personal and public religious/culturally and demographically significant event all rolled into one for a main member of the cast, and you decide who's going to be in the crowd, and acknowledge the significance to the world in-universe and storywise across multiple series by having Zuko present, i really can't imagine them just forgetting about Katara
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016 04:20 am by Yougo » Logged

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
kevo998
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Katara: "bend over aang! *wicked smirk*

« Reply #63 on: Jun 07, 2016 04:41 pm »

While interesting the theory's people have about the kataang split I just don't see any justifiable reason for it, and if Gene Yang has anything to do with it, there won't be a split in the cannon universe anytime soon...   
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #64 on: Jun 07, 2016 05:25 pm »

Oh, there's no justifiable reason for it in-universe (yet). Out of universe, yeah, it's because the LoK storytellers were egregiously inconsistent in their use of Katara (showing her as alive and capable but building the story and setting like she's dead), but I'm proposing the theory as a way of ironing out those inconsistencies. I like my universes to make sense, and not to have to explain things by looking outside of the story.

Sadly, I just don't think that saying that Katara wanted to withdraw from the world and help out a backwoods settlement that apparently didn't need any help is a way of fixing those inconsistencies. Rather, it brings attention to them. If Katara actually had any impact on the Southern Water Tribe during her adult life, then it's even more egregious that she wasn't so much as mentioned during the whole Civil War plotline, never mind consulted or involved. Heck, wouldn't we have at least seen a statue of her? The lack of one can't be because she's overly modest, because Zuko and Aang both learned modesty, and they have big honking statues in Republic City. (Besides, Katara showed some pride throughout AtLA.)

No, we're still lacking a functional alternative to the Bitter Divorce Theory. Believe me, the last thing I want is any of AtLA's endgame ships destroyed for the sake of realism or drama or alternative pairings, but LoK has laid down canon facts, and all we can do is make up the events that mangled the AtLA characters into people who would let those canon facts happen.

Also, I've begun to suspect that all of the Air Baby drama from Book Spirits comes from Aang hurting Tenzin during their 'vacations' and Tenzin suppressing all those memories. This could also reinforce Tenzin's sick need, demonstrated throughout LoK, to make himself into an idealized version of Aang.

kevo998
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Katara: "bend over aang! *wicked smirk*

« Reply #65 on: Jun 07, 2016 06:05 pm »

Oh, there's no justifiable reason for it in-universe (yet). Out of universe, yeah, it's because the LoK storytellers were egregiously inconsistent in their use of Katara (showing her as alive and capable but building the story and setting like she's dead), but I'm proposing the theory as a way of ironing out those inconsistencies. I like my universes to make sense, and not to have to explain things by looking outside of the story.

Sadly, I just don't think that saying that Katara wanted to withdraw from the world and help out a backwoods settlement that apparently didn't need any help is a way of fixing those inconsistencies. Rather, it brings attention to them. If Katara actually had any impact on the Southern Water Tribe during her adult life, then it's even more egregious that she wasn't so much as mentioned during the whole Civil War plotline, never mind consulted or involved. Heck, wouldn't we have at least seen a statue of her? The lack of one can't be because she's overly modest, because Zuko and Aang both learned modesty, and they have big honking statues in Republic City. (Besides, Katara showed some pride throughout AtLA.)

No, we're still lacking a functional alternative to the Bitter Divorce Theory. Believe me, the last thing I want is any of AtLA's endgame ships destroyed for the sake of realism or drama or alternative pairings, but LoK has laid down canon facts, and all we can do is make up the events that mangled the AtLA characters into people who would let those canon facts happen.

Also, I've begun to suspect that all of the Air Baby drama from Book Spirits comes from Aang hurting Tenzin during their 'vacations' and Tenzin suppressing all those memories. This could also reinforce Tenzin's sick need, demonstrated throughout LoK, to make himself into an idealized version of Aang.

While yes I can agree that there was a degenerate flaw with the storytelling of Katara within the main plot of Lok, I feel that the story writers couldn’t and /or simply didn’t make time for her story potential to  be fully explored and yes while this has initially a justified reason for one to look outside the plot the reasoning I just don’t see the need for the said drastic theory’s.

And while yes Lok has done an admirable job of ripping off the rose tinted glasses and shown us the gang in all their grey and bona fide shortcoming I still don’t see that as an adequate and quantitative justification based on someone’s (katara’s) willingness to withdraw themselves from the world and/or to disassociate themselves from the hard/painful memories/people (Aang). Katara owed nothing to the world in a particularized sense; she was her own person of free will.

But again the show has shown us the tale tail signs of a happy and loving relationship between the two, be it a picture given to Kia to show the importance of family, Katara drawing on Aangs hardships to show Korra the way, the mentioning of Kataras heartbrokenness when Aang passed, so these mean 100% everything was roses and peaches between the two? No. Does it suggest otherwise? Nope. It is entirely a subjective matter, one that can be interpreted a few ways but in my personal opinion there is certainly enough reading between the lines to show a happy and prosperous relationship.

And in regards to the kids ‘mixed’ views on their father Brike have pretty much said that Aang and Katara did their best as parents. No family is perfect, a child will still gripe about and most loving mother and perfect father regardless of accumulative factors leading up to that point in time.   
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #66 on: Jun 07, 2016 06:22 pm »

While yes I can agree that there was a degenerate flaw with the storytelling of Katara within the main plot of Lok, I feel that the story writers couldn’t and /or simply didn’t make time for her story potential to  be fully explored and yes while this has initially a justified reason for one to look outside the plot the reasoning I just don’t see the need for the said drastic theory’s.

And while yes Lok has done an admirable job of ripping off the rose tinted glasses and shown us the gang in all their grey and bona fide shortcoming I still don’t see that as an adequate and quantitative justification based on someone’s (katara’s) willingness to withdraw themselves from the world and/or to disassociate themselves from the hard/painful memories/people (Aang). Katara owed nothing to the world in a particularized sense; she was her own person of free will.

It doesn't really matter if she "owes" anything to the world. AtLA characterized Katara as someone who consistently- often to her own detriment- involved herself in situations where she thought she was capable of helping. Something needs to explain why that attitude changed so much, and yet leave room for her to involve herself in the training of the Avatar. The reason I like the Kataang Divorce Theory is that it establishes an emotional pain that would justify Katara withdrawing from Republic City while remaining geographically limited in its scope, so Katara is willing involve herself when another opportunity arises elsewhere.

See, it all needs to come from the character- what is their motivation for action? In other words, what do they want? It's very hard to imagine a scenario where Katara thinks, "I want to live in an igloo far away from where anything is happening."

Heck, that's why she left in the first place.

But again the show has shown us the tale tail signs of a happy and loving relationship between the two, be it a picture given to Kia to show the importance of family, Katara drawing on Aangs hardships to show Korra the way, the mentioning of Kataras heartbrokenness when Aang passed, so these mean 100% everything was roses and peaches between the two? No. Does it suggest otherwise? Nope. It is entirely a subjective matter, one that can be interpreted a few ways but in my personal opinion there is certainly enough reading between the lines to show a happy and prosperous relationship.

For a time, yes. And I wouldn't want the divorce to be something hugely terrible that would poison all the happy memories (jokes about Aang cheating and every adult character in LoK being his spawnie aside). This isn't a tragedy like the Fire Royal Family; this is just a situation where things didn't quite work out, and it made more sense for Katara seek an independent life away from where Aang was most active.

I admit, there's a bit of subverting the text of the story going on with this theory, but as long as nothing is contradicted in the facts and dialogue presented, I think it's a viable theory.

After all, no one has a problem with George Lucas retconning Vader to be Luke's father in Empire Strikes Back, despite the "He's too much like his father" and "That's what I'm afraid of" exchange in the first movie being about something completely different.

And in regards to the kids ‘mixed’ views on their father Brike have pretty much said that Aang and Katara did their best as parents. No family is perfect, a child will still gripe about and most loving mother and perfect father regardless of accumulative factors leading up to that point in time.

But why did Tenzin not realize his whole family didn't go on those vacations? Supposedly there were multiple such trips, and no one but he and Aang went on any of them, yet he has memories of everyone being there and being happy. Everyone is just like, "Oh, well, Aang brought him along on business trips so that he could pass on Airbending and Nomad culture." But then why does Tenzin remember vacations that Bumi presumably would have enjoyed?

Even without any of my crazy theories, that's just weird. Tenzin is sick in the head.

And yes, the real reason is just more bad storytelling in a whole pile of bad Book Spirits storytelling, but I really like there to be in-universe explanations to make things make sense.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #67 on: Jun 07, 2016 10:09 pm »

I love the Tenzin theory.  Cheesy  I want Aang/Yakone parallels.  Smiley

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #68 on: Jun 08, 2016 05:25 am »

^or Tenzin/Ikki Parallels. during his trips to the Air Temples substituted his loneliness with frequent tea parties with baby sky bison named Bumi and Kya to the point that his memories indeed include a Kya and Bumi present and enjoying them selves. he needs his Sound and Light chakras checked.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #69 on: Jun 08, 2016 05:23 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: