Aug 21, 2017 03:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, where exactly did Aang and Katara live for the 40 something years inbetween  (Read 3518 times)
ThePeacefulGuru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Feb 15, 2016 12:10 am »

their marriage and Aang's death?

*I'm not realy sure whether this is a Korra or ATLA question but I'm putting it here since I'm talking about events after the original series and comics (so far) and a lot of the evidence either way comes from Korra

The Southern Watertribe or Air Temple Island?

There are reasons and arguments for both as far as I can tell. Like when Tenzin said he had to be the responsible one and Kya asked both her brothers where they were when their dad died and their mom was all alone, noting how she alone "moved her whole life down to the south pole to be with her" but yet in Legacy, Aang includes a chapter with basic info about the SWT in the book he made for Tenzin when he was a child, which wouldn't have been needed if Tenzin grew up there. Of course Aang was also present to deal with Yukon but he's used to traveling a lot and there's no sign of Katara in that flashback so that one seems weak to me... I just don't know.. what do you guys think?

"The heart of the fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of the wise man is in his heart" - Ben Franklin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016 01:08 am »

I'm guessing Air Temple Island was created to be central hub for the Air Acolytes, then when Aang and Katara got married, they settled on ATI, so they could raise their children both for the Air culture and to be near Republic City.

I'm guessing Tenzin not being familiar with the Water Tribe was due to spending most of his time in the United Republic. Although, being Air Nomads and whatnot, I'd imagine Katara made sure her family made plenty trips to the Southern Water Tribe over the years. Smiley   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2016 05:13 pm »

I'm still convinced that Aang and Katara split up at least a decade before his death. So Aang was living on ATI, and Katara went back home to the South Pole.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2016 05:33 pm »

I'm still convinced that Aang and Katara split up at least a decade before his death. So Aang was living on ATI, and Katara went back home to the South Pole.

I love this.    And reasons for the split can be head-canon'd.  Wink

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2016 05:35 pm »

Aang is a nomad. He is always traveling, no way he just settled down in Republic City for the rest of his life.

Anyways Kya implied that Aang lived with Katara in the south, you know when she said that Katara was left alone once he died.

I came to slay.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2016 06:05 pm »

I always assumed they lived on ATI. I never even gave it much though.

You asking however has made me realize the show never actually confirmed that however. I still think ATI makes more sense though.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2016 06:16 pm »

You can own more than just one home. Katara wouldn't have a problem with travelling around with Aang either.

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2016 06:45 pm »

Anyways Kya implied that Aang lived with Katara in the south, you know when she said that Katara was left alone once he died.

It just doesn't add up. Aang is strongly associated with Republic City, and with the Air Nomads and the restored temples, and yet Katara was living in the South Pole and couldn't relocate after Aang's death? And Katara is the one member of the gAang to have no statue in Republic City, no feature or landmark associated with her; she and Zuko are the only ones who don't get a flashback in Republic City, but at least Zuko has a reason for being elsewhere.

It just seems like Katara had little or nothing to do with RC, while it's Aang's big legacy. Odd, right?

So I think they split up. Katara went back to the South to start a new career being a Master of the Healing Huts. Maybe Sokka retired from Republic City politics and went down with her to become a member of the Chiefs Council.

Maybe Kya came to live with her mom simply because Aang's death left Katara some extra responsibilities she had to take care of until the next Avatar could take over. Or maybe it had to do with the Red Lotus attack. Or Kya is conflating Aang's death with Sokka's, the former being what prompted Katara to find Kya and the latter being what left Katara alone and in need of one of her kids living nearby.

Or maybe Kya's just lying through her teeth and trying to make her brothers feel guilty for her lack of direction in life.

It just doesn't add up, is what I'm saying.

plastroncafe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plastronc
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2016 07:08 pm »

Given the large age gap between Bumi and Kya, I've kind of assumed that Aang and Katara traveled where duty called until Kya was born. which is when they settled in Republic City/Air Temple Island. Bumi enlists in the United Forces when he comes of age, which leaves Kya and Tenzin with mom and/or dad all the time. Aang takes Tenzin with him most times when he's away on business not just to get the kid to smile, but also to help instill in him some of the ways of airbending. Cue Kya's jealousy.

I don't see Katara settling back in the South Pole permanently until after Aang dies.

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2016 11:22 pm »

Listen, Kanto was code for Aang.  Aang is Lin's father.  It makes perfect sense.  And Sokka is Suyin's father.  Makes perfect sense.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Dead Pixel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Has entered the void

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2016 10:04 am »

I think that after travelling around fixing Fire Nation stuff, they would've settled in Republic City.

"Let go your earthly tether,
enter the void,
empty and become wind."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2016 06:36 pm »

Listen, Kanto was code for Aang.  Aang is Lin's father.  It makes perfect sense.

Was this before or after the split with Katara?

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2016 07:11 pm »

Listen, Kanto was code for Aang.  Aang is Lin's father.  It makes perfect sense.

Was this before or after the split with Katara?

It was an unfortunate indiscretion, and when Katara found out about it, that was the split.

It's also why Linzin broke up.  Cheesy  Oh, so delightfully screwed up!

In fact, that's how it came out.  Aang was away on business often, and didn't know how close the two were getting, and Toph was too busy (and a horrible parent).  

When Tenzin started talking about marriage at the family table and Aang finally found out, he blurted, "You're gonna marry your sister?!"  And Kya said, "Dad, it's not me, we're talking about Lin..."  

...And everyone went silent.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2016 07:18 pm by shorewall » Logged

ThePeacefulGuru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2016 01:11 am »

I for one don't think they "split up", Tenzin and Lin split because Tenzin wanted children and she didn't, and this was a deal breaker because Tenzin saw himself as the sole heir to a nation that was STILL on the brink of extinction.

Now, Sokka and Toph getting together and Sokka being Su yin's father... that I can see, especially given some of Toph's grandkids. Sculpture boy and the two who invented that metal bending game in particular. The ingenuity had to come from somewhere and that was one of Sokka's stronger points.

But no, Aang, especially after he matures a little bit (season 2 onward) is way to moral and bound to his principles to have an indiscretion like that, and on top of that he cares about Katara way too much to do that to her. I mean, he was willing to forgo an entire element just so he didn't risk hurting her again. So I really don't think that's something Aang's capable of and I also don't think much (if anything) short of that would've torn them apart

"The heart of the fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of the wise man is in his heart" - Ben Franklin
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2016 02:22 pm »

Cheesy  Hey, don't ruin our fun!  Wink

JK, we're just joshing.  After all, now that the show is over, we gotta amuse ourselves some way.

Plus, after Bryke's insistence on tearing down our Rose Colored Image of the Gaang, I wouldn't put it past them...  Airbenders go with the flow, know what I'm sayin'?

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2016 06:34 pm »

If the only counterargument to a Kataang divorce is "it would be completely and utterly out of character for them," then I think it's practically guaranteed to have happened. In fact, I think it's only a matter of time until we get a comic trilogy out of it.

I mean, I don't want it to have happened, but it's the only explanation that matches the evidence.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2016 07:24 pm »

If the only counterargument to a Kataang divorce is "it would be completely and utterly out of character for them," then I think it's practically guaranteed to have happened. In fact, I think it's only a matter of time until we get a comic trilogy out of it.

I mean, I don't want it to have happened, but it's the only explanation that matches the evidence.

I mean, people change, man.  Smiley

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2016 07:28 pm »

"You weren't there for Republic City's first council meeting. I saw things, things I can't unsee. I'm a different person now. The person I used to be loved you, but I can't even remember your name."

"Katara. Like the knife."

"Oh, yeah. You're cute. Wanna get dinner some time?"

ThePeacefulGuru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2016 08:23 pm »

How is that the *only* thing that fits the evidence?

plastroncafe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plastronc
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2016 01:19 pm »

Regarding a potential KatAang Split...
How is that so hard to believe? They come from two entirely different cultural traditions? Not to mention that they fell in love really early. No one is the same person in their 20s as they were in their teens. Sometimes love just isn't enough to keep a relationship going.

And let's not forget, we know next to nothing about Air Nomad tradition. Were they monogamous? Did they marry?

<=======================================

Get out of the Bison's mouth, Sokka.

=======================================>
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2016 02:27 pm »

And let's not forget, we know next to nothing about Air Nomad tradition. Were they monogamous? Did they marry?

They believed in free love.  When Aang tried to explain that after Katara caught him in bed with a couple of acolytes, she kicked him out.

Plus it explains why Aang wasn't so involved in his kids lives as he and they wanted him to be.  Tenzin was the exception because he was an airbender.

Red Lotus Grandmaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2016 06:27 pm »

I highly doubt they lived seperately. If their behaviour in the comics is anything to go by, I don't think they would have dealt being seperated from each other. They are way too attached to consider a long distance relationship.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2016 06:45 pm »

Kataang split doesn't make sense to me. If that had happened, I feel like Tenzin or someone would have mentioned it at some point. Instead, we get scenes of Katara handing Tenzin a family photo she had been holding onto, Tenzin's "a happy family" comment, Kya's "dad died and then mom was all alone", and then Katara talking respectfully/proudly of Aang to Korra in 402.

I don't see how Katara not having a statue in RC or not having a major contributing role to the city (outside of outlawing bloodbending) is evidence of a Kataang split. Maybe Katara just didn't get involved to much. Maybe she decided to focus on raising her kids (being a mother is a huge part of her character after all). There are other explanations to why Katara doesn't have a statue in RC besides "she broke up with Aang". Because if that were the case, I think would have had a more blatant hint at that by now. Surely a divorce would be something Kya or Bumi would have mentioned when bad talking Aang in Book 2.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2016 06:52 pm »

Oh, I don't think that the creators intended there to be a Kataang divorce when they wrote LoK.

Just like they didn't intend Toph to be alive when they wrote Book Air.

All I'm doing is proposing a theory that explains some oddities and plot holes that probably come from the creative team having a blind spot for any female character who can't supply fanservice. If anyone can explain the same things- including Katara being stuck in the South Pole alone and isolated despite supposedly having spent most of her life near RC- in an elegant way, then I'm more than willing to consider it.

All I'm hearing, though, is "Katara stayed in the kitchen," which is to me just as OOC as her breaking up with Aang. And her staying in the kitchen doesn't explain why Kya had to abandon her own life to keep Mom company after Dad died, when Dad would have presumably died near RC and Tenzin already lives there.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2016 07:26 pm »

I think that Katara left Republic City and went back to the South Pole to restart. Sokka was originally on the council in Republic City, yet somewhere down the line he went on to become the chief of the South Pole. With her children grown and her husband gone, she probably decided that she wanted to spend the rest of her life in her old home. It's not unheard of for people to go back to where they originated from. The only thing I question though is why after Tenzin had his children that she would remain in the South Pole instead of moving to be closer to her grandchildren. That was one of the missteps I felt the writers did with Katara, not having her play a bigger part in their lives.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: