Jun 27, 2017 04:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North and South, Part 1, 2 & 3 – Speculations thread [NO SPOILERS PLEASE!]  (Read 13919 times)
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2016 05:54 pm »

Malina: "Seventy years... give or take... You know what? How 'bout I just return to the North and we pick this up in a century or so, 'kay?"   
Malina raised a daughter, also named Malina, planted all of her evil plans and ideals into the child, so that someday she could unleash chaos upon the physical world. But Malina the second was too lazy, instead she just passed down the evil arts of being evil onto a worthy successor , young Unalaq.

I came to slay.
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2016 08:20 pm »

Maybe this is when that coward Katara bans bloodbending.
Hmmm... maybe I had it all wrong. Maybe they aren't ripping off Season 2 - maybe borrowing from Season 1, the bloodbenders. So is Malina Yakone's momma then? She's even from the North. He talked about "Our family has the strongest line of bloodbenders in history"...

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2016 10:38 pm »

Hmmm... maybe I had it all wrong. Maybe they aren't ripping off Season 2 - maybe borrowing from Season 1, the bloodbenders. So is Malina Yakone's momma then? She's even from the North. He talked about "Our family has the strongest line of bloodbenders in history"...

I really doubt they'd give a character the same name as Unalaq's wife if there wasn't some relationship there.  >_>;  It just complicates things unnecessarily.

Maybe Malina's a spirit/part spirit and has a longer-than-human lifespan because of it.  Or maybe she's a noble who ends up becoming Unalaq's wife's grandmother (since we see names skipping generations but not being given to the next generation directly).  I just can't see the name being a coincidence.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2016 11:32 pm »

I really doubt they'd give a character the same name as Unalaq's wife if there wasn't some relationship there.  >_>;  It just complicates things unnecessarily.

Maybe Malina's a spirit/part spirit and has a longer-than-human lifespan because of it.  Or maybe she's a noble who ends up becoming Unalaq's wife's grandmother (since we see names skipping generations but not being given to the next generation directly).  I just can't see the name being a coincidence.

Honestly, falling in love with a spirit, especially one with a mind for politics at that, sounds perfectly in-character for Unalaq.  Tongue Plus not too long ago, "The Rift" and "The Search" had confirmed that spirits can marry and have children of their own, so I wouldn't say Malina being a spirit/part-spirit and being Eska and Desna's mother half a century later would be outside the realm of possibility.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2016 05:50 am »

Unalaq's wife isn't even a character, she is just named on the website. I didn't even know her name until someone posted that family tree.

I came to slay.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2016 07:08 am »

Unalaq's wife isn't even a character, she is just named on the website. I didn't even know her name until someone posted that family tree.

Which makes it weirder that the same name would be used.  One would think that the people who made the family tree would have been told not to use the name if Gene Yang was intending to use it for an unrelated character.  =P

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2016 11:23 am »

Which makes it weirder that the same name would be used.  One would think that the people who made the family tree would have been told not to use the name if Gene Yang was intending to use it for an unrelated character.  =P

It may just very well be the start of the "same name" thing that happened in Korra.

awesome King Bumi - dad didn't love me where's Katara, General Bumi now with airbending action
motherly Kya - dad didn't love me where's Katara, Kya
Uncle Iroh - Dante Basco's voice starring young General Iroh
Mako (Iwamatsu) - Mako (throws up in stomach)

And then you get things like Lin and Bolin.

It's not a stretch to have it so a family wants to have the same name for the next generation.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2016 01:57 pm »

They do reuse names for people that have no connection to others as well. I mean the girl that Zuko stole the ostrich horse from was named Song, that is also the name of one of Lin's officers. Aunt Wu has the same name as Prince Wu. So having a new character sharing the same name as an unseen/unnamed (in the show) isn't that big of a stretch.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2016 02:20 pm »

Its not just the shared name though, Malina is from the Northern Water Tribe, with big ambitions, hinted at having dangerous goals and is apparently a pretty powerful figure with enough influence to push the North and South into being one tribe. If Malina had been the name of a random earthbender from Omashu, that would be one thing, but she's starting to sound like Unalaq's counterpart. 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2016 04:47 pm »

Either way Unalaq's wife was pretty much a non-entity as she was neither named or shown on-screen. So I doubt that this will be a big issue.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2016 04:48 pm »

I don't think they would have even named Malina in the summary if they didn't expect the fans to make the connection.

Which isn't a guarantee that they're the same or related, of course, but the powers that be definitely want us thinking in that regard. And I think it's notable that Unalaq's unseen wife got named but Izumi's husband didn't, given that the Creepy Twins and Iroh II both played a role in LoK.

Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2016 05:46 pm »

I don't think they would have even named Malina in the summary if they didn't expect the fans to make the connection.

Which isn't a guarantee that they're the same or related, of course, but the powers that be definitely want us thinking in that regard. And I think it's notable that Unalaq's unseen wife got named but Izumi's husband didn't, given that the Creepy Twins and Iroh II both played a role in LoK.
She only got named because the devil twins confirmed that they even had a mother, they didn't want to leave us hanging.

Izumi's husband is never mentioned at all, nor is her daughter, no reason to name them. Same case with Suyin's dad. We only got the name's of Mako and Bolin's parents once there family became relevant in book 3.

Is Asami's mother ever named?

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2016 06:38 pm »

Since when does the Avatar creative team not want to leave fans hanging?

Especially when it comes to parents?

Mai's parents weren't named until Smoke and Shadows, and they had speaking parts!

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2016 01:06 am »

She only got named because the devil twins confirmed that they even had a mother, they didn't want to leave us hanging.?

True, Malina only got one real mention in the show if I recall correctly, even then she wasn't referred to by name.

Korra: I'm sorry about your father, but he was already fused with Vaatu. I couldn't save him.
Eska: It seems Cousin Korra is under the impression we are saddened by our father's demise.
Desna: But I will not miss him at all. In the end, he became a deplorable man.
Eska: Agreed, but how will we explain this to mother?

Later, at the Northern Water Tribe.

Malina: "Children, its so good to have you home! How was the Spirits Light Festival? Did you two and your father have a nice visit?  

Eska: Mother, we regret to inform you that Father fused with the Spirit of Darkness, became the Dark Avatar and tried to destroyed the world."  

Desna: "Cousin Korra had to Varrick him by the way."

Malina: "Unalaq... I can't believe this... He had one job to do! Honestly, I could've just released the dark spirits myself back when I faced Avatar Aang. But no! I had to wait seventy years and leave it to someone else!

Eska: "Also the festival was horribly dull until Dark Avatar Father tried to drown the world in chaos and death..."

Maliana: "I SHOULD'VE BEEN THE DARK AVATAR! ME! DARK AVATAR MALINA THE ONE AND ONLY!!"

Desna: "At least Mother is taking the news well."
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2016 01:23 am by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2016 06:26 am »

Mai's parents weren't named until Smoke and Shadows, and they had speaking parts!
I'm pretty sure Ukano was named.

I came to slay.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2016 06:50 am »

Nope, he was called the Governor in the episode. The credits also list him as such.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2016 04:39 pm »

Nope, he was called the Governor in the episode. The credits also list him as such.
Okay thanks for correcting me.

I came to slay.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2016 03:08 pm »

So best case scenario for the Gaang is that Malina is an ambitious, but well-meaning philanthropist who can't see the forest for the trees and will see the error of her ways by the comic's end. Worst case scenario is that Malina is really a dark spirit who feeds off the negative energy caused by the Water Tribes' civil war, then ends up married into the royal family and became the Avatar's aunt instead.

Knowing the Gaang's luck, I'm leaning towards the latter. Tongue   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2016 02:57 pm »

New press release:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-new-avatar-the-last-airbender-graphic-novel-series-debuts-in-2016
We also have covers for the next two thirds of the trilogy.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #44 on: Feb 18, 2016 03:50 pm »

Hmmm... An oil rig? A big high-tech bridge? Is this some sort of Water Tribe Rift: Electric Boogaloo?

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2016 06:31 pm »

How the heck is Toph there?!

Also, it's a little odd we are getting a cover for a comic that's release is more then a year out. I just hope this trilogy is better then S&S.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2016 06:43 pm »

Is this some sort of Water Tribe Rift: Electric Boogaloo?

So Sokka will get a new potential girlfriend, he and Katara will argue over whether it's better to drill for oil or honor obscure Water Tribe festivals, and it will end with a giant spirit battle?

Well, considering that The Rift could have been good if it hadn't been so overstuffed, I guess trying to do it over with different characters is a fair strategy.

I'm just curious if the lack of Fire Lord Gary Stu leads to fans largely ignoring this trilogy as well.

Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2016 09:02 pm »

Well atleast Toph isn't completely absent again.

I came to slay.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2016 09:09 pm »

I'm just curious if the lack of Fire Lord Gary Stu leads to fans largely ignoring this trilogy as well.
Fans should be more understanding as to why he shouldn't be in this trilogy. Zuko being Firelord therefore a world leader wouldn't really allow him out of the Fire Nation for too long while the others aren't established yet giving them fore free range.  So Zuko being in this trilogy would make no sense. And this is coming from someone who has Zuko as his favorite character.

And also, I feel bloodbending is going to be involved with this comic. So with Zuko not being in it, there's no Zuko being bloodbent.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2016 11:36 pm »

Uhh... Whats Toph doing in the Southern Water Tribe?  Huh Would she even be able to see there? I mean, she had a tough enough time while traveling in the desert and sand is apart of her element, so wouldn't the land of ice and snow be an ill-advised idea?  

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: