Nov 23, 2017 01:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North and South, Part 1, 2 & 3 – Speculations thread [NO SPOILERS PLEASE!]  (Read 15477 times)
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Feb 12, 2016 09:56 am »

It appears that we have some info on what the next Avatar comic will be after Smoke and Shadow:

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/539574/avatar-the-last-airbender--north-and-south-part-one-by-written-by-gene-luen-yang-michael-dante-dimartino-bryan-konietzko-illustrated-by-gurihiru/#

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-new-avatar-the-last-airbender-graphic-novel-series-debuts-in-2016

There is even a little description of the plot:
When Aang leaves to aid Zuko with the Kemurikage, Katara and Sokka return to the Southern Water Tribe by themselves. Katara is shocked to find that her beloved village has become a bustling city, with none other than their father, Hakoda, in charge! A Northerner named Malina seems to be behind this change, pushing the North and South to be more unified…but what are her true goals?
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016 09:14 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2016 10:15 am »

A Northerner named Malina seems to be behind this change, pushing the North and South to be more unified…but what are her true goals?

I have tea all over my monitor. Malina? Really? A girl from the Northern Water tribe with a mind for politics and a hidden agenda? That's literally an OC from my last Kyoshi Warrior fanfic  Cheesy!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2016 10:26 am »

Unalaq's wife?

Anyway this sounds kind of like Book Two: Spirits. Hopefully it isn't for everyone's sake.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am »

Unalaq's wife?

Nah. She would be too old for that. Maybe his mother.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2016 11:41 am »

A Northerner named Malina seems to be behind this change, pushing the North and South to be more unified…but what are her true goals?
Oooookay, so now they're rehashing TLOK. IN ATLA. Excuse me while I go bang my head on a wall.

Maybe it will be a decent to good rehash like The Rift (spirits vs human), but given what's happened in Smoke and Shadow... Magic 8 Ball says "unlikely".

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2016 01:28 pm »

I thought we would get a Katara and Sokka centric story in the comic; they were due for one. Yes, it does sound similar to season two of Korra but hopefully there will be enough differences.
Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2016 06:31 pm »

I can definetly see the similarities with LOK Book 2, but I don't think they're really that bad. The Water Tribes are big, ancient nations with complex histories. It follows that there would be more than one power hungry individual/group in the Tribes' history, especially during this massive transition period.

On another note, the Water Tribes' political state kinda mirrors the Firen Nation's, with the revolutionaries and all.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2016 08:00 pm »

Unalaq's wife?

Nah. She would be too old for that. Maybe his mother.

It's not entirely implausible that Unalaq would have married someone a few decades his senior if he saw political/spiritual benefit in it. 

Either that or the person who made the family tree saw the name as a female Korra relative on her dad's side and assumed it was the twins' mom.  =P

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2016 11:36 pm »

Jinzuk and Rina had to have had Ursa pretty late in life since Rina is apparently Roku's daughter. But even then, it's about 55 more years before Desna and Eska are even born.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2016 11:41 pm »

I'm gonna assume 'Malina' is a common WT name like the real world equivalent of 'Jane'/'John'. =P

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2016 11:47 pm »

I was hoping the next trilogy would be Katara and Sokka-focused, glad to finally see them returning to the Southern Water Tribe after all this time. Should be interesting to see how much its changed since the first episode.  

Unalaq's wife?

And we thought the timeline of Zuko's family tree was complicated! Good grief!  Shocked

Sig by Guitarfreak.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2016 06:09 am »

I'm gonna assume 'Malina' is a common WT name like the real world equivalent of 'Jane'/'John'. =P

Malina is the sun goddess of the Inuit people. You pretty much bump into her name the first time you look for anything distantly "Inuit".

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2016 08:17 am »

I don't like the Water Tribes. It's way too bland and boring, nothing to see but snow. Book Spirits made me hate the WT even more, all because of it's horrible story, unappealing settings, Unalaq, and my bias towards the book.

This trilogy better not be anything spirity related. The last two trilogies plus 'The Search' were heavily oriented around spirits. I will die of boredom if the name 'North and South' implies even more drama and civil war between the tribes, and it would just be a huge recycle! Malina must be the female Unalaq, trying to unite the Water Tribes or something, she already seems like the bad guy of the book. What are here true goals? To open the spirit portals and fuse with an evil spirit of course.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016 02:07 pm by StormyDaze » Logged

I came to slay.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2016 12:03 pm »

This trilogy better not be anything spirity related. The last two trilogies plus 'The Search' were heavily oriented around spirits. I will die of boredom if the name 'North and South' implies even more drama and civil war between the tribes, and it would just be a huge recycle! Malina must be the female Unalaq, trying to unite the Water Tribes or something, she already seems like the bad guy of the book. What are here true goals? To open the spirit portals and fuse with an evil spirit of course.

She must have succeeded given that the Southern Water tribe is "independent" at the end of Book 2.

I'm trying to picture it, but were the Poles when Wan visit them covered in snow? I mean 10,000 years isn't a long time for complete climate change to undergo. I recall seeing the spirits walking through land instead of snow.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2016 12:51 pm »

I'm trying to picture it, but were the Poles when Wan visit them covered in snow?

We know that the Southern Pole was covered in snow:

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2016 01:39 pm »

There's thousands of Lees afterall, could be the same for Malina. Smiley

Malina is the sun goddess of the Inuit people. You pretty much bump into her name the first time you look for anything distantly "Inuit".

Maybe she will have some sort of connection to Yue and La? Their daytime counterpart perhaps? If Malina turns out to be a spirit, her being Eska and Desna's mother 50-something years later would make the most sense, actually.

One thing I'm excited about is seeing Gran Gran again. Maybe her and Pakku will finally see each other again?

I can't wait for Sokka's reaction to seeing his GrandPakku again. Cheesy

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016 01:46 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2016 02:07 pm »

Wait I just remembered, NVM. I completely forgot that Pakku and Kanna already seen each other.

Well...I guess I can be excited about how lame Unalaq Malina will be.

Ugh. I wish they'd just give us a comic about founding the United Republic of Nations already.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016 02:09 pm by StormyDaze » Logged

I came to slay.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2016 03:32 pm »

Wouldn't it be wild if Malina's true goals were completely benign and there was no conflict to be had? Because I honestly don't see a lot of potential in the setup being described there. Grin

I'm still boggled by how Katara and Sokka are so cut off from all Water Tribe news. What are they actually doing with their time? Do they really just sit around in history classes in Yu Dao and never so much as write a letter to their family? Roll Eyes

I really wish Gene Yang would go away. We desperately need new vision for the AtLA world.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2016 03:56 pm »

Wouldn't it be wild if Malina's true goals were completely benign and there was no conflict to be had? Because I honestly don't see a lot of potential in the setup being described there. Grin

I dunno but the "Water Siblings vs Politics" scenario sounds pretty interesting for me. It could be like Avatar Day + Painted Lady + The Promise... okay... this is actually awful Cheesy. But, yeah, y'know, it has the potential and everything!

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2016 08:09 pm »

Avatar politics have never been interesting, even in the glory days of ATLA. At best, we the fans imagined interesting things into the blank spaces left by the stories, like how Long Feng actually maintained his "No War" thing.

It probably comes from the whole franchise being constructed as a Martial Arts Action thing. Tongue

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2016 06:27 am »

Avatar politics have never been interesting, even in the glory days of ATLA. At best, we the fans imagined interesting things into the blank spaces left by the stories, like how Long Feng actually maintained his "No War" thing.

I wasn't really thinking about strictly the politics being interesting, but more like having amusing character shenanigans like Sokka in The Avatar Day.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2016 04:08 pm »

I think Melina could be a Hakoda love interest, and that could drive Katara nuts, we know what issues she has, so Katara in more ways than one is against change, not just the changes in the SWT but her family. Maybe deep down she all for progress when it comes to the SWT, but a new mommy forget it.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2016 04:36 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2016 04:29 pm »

Maybe this is when that coward Katara bans bloodbending.

I came to slay.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2016 05:23 pm »

Imagine if she really is a woman after Unalaq's own heart and actually trying to merge the physical world and spirit world a century too soon.  Cheesy

Malina: "Witness, Avatar Aang as I bring ten thousand of darkness upon the peaceful new world you've foolishly tried to build. Soon the portal will open, a new era for spirits and humans will begin, and I will lead them all as the new Avatar!"

Aang: "Uhh... What portal?"

Katara: "Malina, are you sure we're even in the right place?"

Sokka: "Yeah, you've been going on about "Dark Avatar stuff this and dark spirit magic that" for over two hours and nothing happened!"

Malina: "Oh. Yes, well...its possible that I may have been a little off about the Harmonic Convergence's actual date..."

Katara: "By how much exactly?"

Malina: "Seventy years... give or take... You know what? How 'bout I just return to the North and we pick this up in a century or so, 'kay?"   

Aang: "Think we should be worried? What if this Harmonic Whatever-She-Called-It really happens?"

Sokka: "Eh. Let it be the next Avatar's problem."

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2016 05:26 pm »

I think Melina could be a Hakoda love interest, and that could drive Katara nuts, we know what issues she has, so Katara in more ways than one is against change, not just the changes in the SWT but her family. Maybe deep down she all for progress when it comes to the SWT, but a new mommy forget it.

This is scarily plausible, but the last thing I want is another Old vs New plot. Embrace change, Team Avatar!

Sokka: "Eh. Let it be the next Avatar's problem."

And so Republic City got a motto before the city was even built.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: