Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northern Air Temple: How did Fire Nation Get Into Sealed Chamber?  (Read 1906 times)
gwiddle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A man is a weaponee just as a weapon is a manee.

« on: Jan 04, 2016 10:00 pm »

Hi! First post here. I Googled and could not find anything on this, and searched here. In the Northern Air Temple, there is the sealed chamber which can only be opened by an air bender. Once Aang enters into it, he finds a bunch of fire nation gear and figures out they're developing weapons for the fire nation.

But how did that fire nation equipment get into the room in the first place if it can only be opened by an air bender? And why did Aang just happen to suspect that these were weapons of the mechanist rather than weapons left behind from when the temple was invaded a hundred years before? the only way a non-air-bender could get inside there is if an air bender opened the door, so the fire nation stuff in there had to be 100 years old, right?

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2016 07:35 am »

^there's quite a few ways to do it.

-aang opened a firetemple door with a firebending lock on it, by tricking the sages to open it for him.
-there was a card game that mentioned a traitor air nomad called Afiko who led Sozin to the temples. someone like him could have opened it willingly.
-from what we see on the outside of such a lock, the whole thing is a mechanism set in motion by blowing air into it. the Mechanist could have built a device with bellows or pressurised cannisters to achieve the same effect.
-in the end when all clever solutions fail, sheer brute force may also do the trick.

as for the equipment, maybe combination of the lack of dust and rust, technological advancement at a level Aang hasn't seen in his days travelling in the Fire Nation, while still having that typical Fire Nation style all over it, and the fact he has seen what the fire nation is doing all over the world made him conclude it was the Fire Nation who recently violated the temple?

Aang knew full well the extent of the war by then, he just didn't expect the Mechanist, and with him, the FN to have penetrated this deeply into Air nomad property.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016 07:50 am by Yougo » Logged

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2016 08:36 am »

But how did that fire nation equipment get into the room in the first place if it can only be opened by an air bender?

The chamber was opened by the Mechanist who was a engineering genius. Working out a method to bypass the locks was probably well within his capabilities.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016 12:34 am »

Interestingly, though, we saw that the Firebending locks don't open for any combustion, like when Sokka lit the lamp-oil bombs. It took real Firebending. Those locks might have a spiritual component.

I think the most likely solution is that they simply knocked down a wall or dug in from below, and then put their own hidden door into place. Just bypass the problem.

Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2016 03:45 am »

Interestingly, though, we saw that the Firebending locks don't open for any combustion, like when Sokka lit the lamp-oil bombs. It took real Firebending. Those locks might have a spiritual component.

I think the most likely solution is that they simply knocked down a wall or dug in from below, and then put their own hidden door into place. Just bypass the problem.

If I recall the scene correctly one bag exploded before the others. I assumed that's why that didn't work.

I also assumed the Mechanist found another way into the room, but I might be wrong about that one.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2016 06:25 am »

If I recall the scene correctly one bag exploded before the others. I assumed that's why that didn't work.

I also assumed the Mechanist found another way into the room, but I might be wrong about that one.
There was something spirity about that door for sure, only pure firebending could trigger it. Roku even had spirit magic control over the chamber so Zuko and the Fire Sages couldn't get in.

Zuko: Why isn't it working? It's sealed shut!
Fire Sage: It must have been the light. Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside.

Sig by guitarfreak
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2016 06:47 am »

once Avatar-stuff is going on, all bets on getting explanations for whatever is happening are off. maybe it's spirit magic blocking the bending lock, maybe the lock is fine but roku is simply jamming the door with metalbending

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2016 09:51 am »

I was referring to before Avatar Roku intervened.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2016 02:05 am »

There was something spirity about that door for sure, only pure firebending could trigger it. Roku even had spirit magic control over the chamber so Zuko and the Fire Sages couldn't get in.

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/atla/108/493.jpg

Zuko: Why isn't it working? It's sealed shut!
Fire Sage: It must have been the light. Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside.

I always chalked this up to the blasts not being sustained firebending as the reason for the Gaang's initial failure to get past the door. Also, I think that since it was the winter solstice and Roku's spirit-y powers were at their peak in the mortal world, he had the influence necessary to seal the doors shut with his own energy. I think keeping the sages out has more to do with Roku holding the lock and less to do with any spiritual bending from the sages themselves.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2016 10:15 am »

First off, I don't count anything in the card game as canon and neither does the show.

I'd guess they figuratively killed all the strongest Airbenders, then used that to force more malleable younglings to open it up. They'd be understandably overpowered and outwitted since these fire benders absolutely know how to kill them. They're professionals, by the way.

Let's name that kid Afiko, from the card game. He's under pressure to open up the chambers, feeling the sweat pour down his neck and brow marking it wet with terror. Adrenaline pulsates through him, but worse than that, his stomach went sour at thee thought of betraying h is people. More so, he curses the Avatar that never came to save them, but such feelings he reasoned were pointless. He was going to die anyways, and he seen their power at weeding his Master and others right in front of them.

He and a few others step back. They feel regret for doing this, but the fire benders held their fire daggers right at the base of their necks, which has already blistered and sore from previous burnings in order to intimidate them into subservience. Their minds were simply broken, but determined. Afiko believes that each of them were planning, almost scheming on betraying the other.

"Shoot the air or we'll find someone else to do it."

They press and all shoot concentrated gusts of air. The gears grind into motions that are propelled by the concentration of air, clinking and clanking until the door snaps right open,with a fine pitched squeak. This knocked the Firebenders off their course, and two of the five air benders go out swinging. Afiko decides to stay in place and watches as each of them fall to their deaths. They beg him to aid in their cause, stressing that they can take back the Air Temple. The stories that rang through their halls spoke of a different story. That of a pure utter annihilation that with some strange new star in the sky, caused the firebdnders to wipe out their entire race. Afiko felt it pointless until he's propelled to act. His girlfriend who came from the female temple, was now at the brim of a fire dagger. He throat's slit, cauterized and then burned. He reaches out and tries to beg them to stop, saying he'll help them do anything. The smoke enters through her lungs as she inhales the burning stench of her own body. Then she's dropped on the ground and thrown to the side like garbage. The firebenders laugh , goading Afiko to lunge forward. But he stays in place in utter shock and heartbreak. Feeling like a cowards for not standing up to fight.

Perhaps he may have helped had he not been apathetic and collapses onto his knees.

However, the lead fire bender comes up to his and sets his head on fire, which then sets his entire body aflame right. It just sits there in place as he keeps his emotions stoic and with a solemn look to not give his captors the benefit of gloating in his misery. His cowardice.

The death of his race, his love.

As years passed, they used this as storage. Eventually, an inventor, his son and other refugees found this place and innovated upon it with contracts from the Fire Nation.  His death and his people would be long forgotten to all but the Spirits themselves.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: