Jun 24, 2017 04:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legend of Korra : One Year Out  (Read 13799 times)
Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2015 03:34 pm »

An example of this would be the Odyssey. I enjoyed it in its own right, but I'm not really interested in exploring its world further. This is not so for the Iliad, which has tons of interesting stories I would like to see explored), but these are my thoughts on the matter.

Funny, I felt the same way when I read The Odyssey!
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2015 04:15 pm »

I want to make it clear that my overall remembrance of LOK is still overwhelmingly positive.  I loved this show, I loved Korra, and I am in love with what they accomplished. 

Yes there were hiccups, but the perfect is the enemy of the good.  (Don't take that to mean I don't understand criticism.  I totally get it, and have even criticised many things I didn't like myself.  I just say it as an acknowledgement of the limitations of human endeavor.  Smiley)

I think that any future for LOK lies not in worldbuilding (as many have also said).  The more modern setting takes away from the mystery of the world.  (Which is strange, seeing as the spirits were more prevalent than ever.  Maybe if they were used as more than scenery.  Maybe if the dichotomy between spirits and tech were more focused on.  Maybe that should be the future focus!  Cheesy

I think that the characters and relationships have the most room to explore for future examination.  (In terms of fanfic.  What LOK comics?  Wink)

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2015 05:22 pm »

Maybe if the dichotomy between spirits and tech were more focused on.  Maybe that should be the future focus!  Cheesy

I think there was no dichotomy between spiritualism and technology in TLOK. In fact, it was consistently shown that the two can merge quite readily, forming a very powerful combination (Colossus and its dubstep laser anyone?). Now this could be a fairly interesting and original setup: some sort of Asian-themed magitech with technology that harnesses the supernatural powers, and supernatural powers that focus on tinkering with technology.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2015 07:31 pm »

Maybe if the dichotomy between spirits and tech were more focused on.  Maybe that should be the future focus!  Cheesy

I think there was no dichotomy between spiritualism and technology in TLOK. In fact, it was consistently shown that the two can merge quite readily, forming a very powerful combination (Colossus and its dubstep laser anyone?). Now this could be a fairly interesting and original setup: some sort of Asian-themed magitech with technology that harnesses the supernatural powers, and supernatural powers that focus on tinkering with technology.

That's true.  I guess I meant the modern lifestyle.  People weren't spiritual, and even after Korra opened the spirit portals, we didn't get to see how people's beliefs changed.  We only got spirits as background or causing property damage, or being written out of the final conflict (quite paradoxically, I might add.  You're telling me the spirits don't care that Kuvira harvests spirit vines?  Ok...)

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2015 08:40 pm »

Do you guys agree? I know some do, but I always wondered how many people are interested in seeing/reading about the world of Korra. Some people are interested in a Red Lotus comic book, but I can't really think of anything more I want to see.
I'm more inclined for "What ifs" than continuations and "what happened between the scenes" type of stories. LoK shot itself in all its limbs when it kept destroying its world and brought up the wrong characters. Even the Red Lotus are shaky to me what with how childish the philosophy ends up being, more so when no one bothered to counter them especially Korra since she's been there done that in ways.
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2015 08:42 pm »

As far as "ripping off" goes, and what Kairok, Avatar Epsilon and shorewall have said - agreed. Especially the world thing. ATLA felt like a world, while TLOK felt like a city, and detours to other places as the plot demanded.

Also what shorewall said about the ending. Book 2 and its hijinks aside, also maybe the Colossus' proportions, I don't think I would have been down on TLOK at the end of the day if they had executed the end relationship better. Then maybe it would have been deserving of all the attention it got. As is, it's a lot of focus on a statement, a statement that wasn't particularly well said or thought out.

I want to make it clear that my overall remembrance of LOK is still overwhelmingly positive.  I loved this show, I loved Korra, and I am in love with what they accomplished. 

Yes there were hiccups, but the perfect is the enemy of the good.  (Don't take that to mean I don't understand criticism.  I totally get it, and have even criticised many things I didn't like myself.  I just say it as an acknowledgement of the limitations of human endeavor.  Smiley)

I think that any future for LOK lies not in worldbuilding (as many have also said).  The more modern setting takes away from the mystery of the world.  (Which is strange, seeing as the spirits were more prevalent than ever.  Maybe if they were used as more than scenery.  Maybe if the dichotomy between spirits and tech were more focused on.  Maybe that should be the future focus!  Cheesy

I think that the characters and relationships have the most room to explore for future examination.  (In terms of fanfic.  What LOK comics?  Wink)
Pretty much agreed, except I like fighting less than character-based stuff, so a big thrust of TLOK's focus (the fights) just didn't stay with me the way Zuko's struggles did.

But like you said, nothing is perfect - for how much I love ATLA, in retrospect, Koizilla was actually pretty silly, and Kaiju Korra is just going past that.

Speaking of not perfect... it's not like I've not put some - in retrospect - silly stuff into what I've written. >_<

Gunpowder and exact "theme" of the equipment aside... that's pretty much what I'm writing, especially the bolded. Just haven't gotten to the first "real" tech on tech fight yet, or put up the more exotic ideas as far as spirit tech goes >_>.

That's true.  I guess I meant the modern lifestyle.  People weren't spiritual, and even after Korra opened the spirit portals, we didn't get to see how people's beliefs changed.  We only got spirits as background or causing property damage, or being written out of the final conflict (quite paradoxically, I might add.  You're telling me the spirits don't care that Kuvira harvests spirit vines?  Ok...)
Quote from: First post I ever made here
Honestly the spirits baffle me sometimes. Can't they see that Kuvira is going to continue harvesting spirit vines, the reason the vines in RC started abducting people? I can see their qualms about being "used" in war by humans, but surely they could be reasoned to accept a defensive role, or even sanction defensive use of spirit energy technology, like an energy shield?
I guess I have another thing to say about a year's time passage: the spirits not helping didn't make sense back then, and it still doesn't. Or a lot of the stuff to do with the spirits.

I can sort of buy Equalist fervor dying down ("Elections Are Magic") without Amon and Hiroshi around to stir things up, and a nonbender President coming out of free elections resulting in peace and a great reduction in unrest. The hiccupless spirit integration, on the other hand, especially considering how unspiritual most people in TLOK's world are...

Maybe it's something that will come up again in whatever follows. #optimismattempt  Tongue

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2015 12:45 am »

Also what shorewall said about the ending. Book 2 and its hijinks aside, also maybe the Colossus' proportions, I don't think I would have been down on TLOK at the end of the day if they had executed the end relationship better. Then maybe it would have been deserving of all the attention it got. As is, it's a lot of focus on a statement, a statement that wasn't particularly well said or thought out.

No matter how well the end relationship had been executed, it'd still be a distraction from Korra's season/series arc, though.  Given the trauma that Korra had been put through, her relationships only mattered insofar as they reflected her relationship with herself, and neither Asami nor her interactions with Korra had anything to do with that.  >_>;

(And, meanwhile, the final scene with Tenzin seriously messed stuff up by walking back on major improvements Korra had made in her relationship with herself.  Korra didn't need to feel like her trauma had made her better than her old self.  She needed to reconcile with her old self and recognize that she wasn't hurt because of who she used to be so much as because there are bad people out there who don't care whether they hurt people who don't deserve it.)

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
longman83
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2015 02:09 pm »

But like you said, nothing is perfect - for how much I love ATLA, in retrospect, Koizilla was actually pretty silly, and Kaiju Korra is just going past that.
Besides both being DEMs, Koizilla had some buildup and was executed far better, to the extent that it is easier for me to accept how and why that occurred when it did than Book 2's kaiju showdown.

Gunpowder and exact "theme" of the equipment aside... that's pretty much what I'm writing, especially the bolded. Just haven't gotten to the first "real" tech on tech fight yet, or put up the more exotic ideas as far as spirit tech goes >_>.
This could work, putting aside misgivings about the Avatarverse turning into scifi. (Granted, that was actually Book 4's doing.)

Quote from: First post I ever made here
Honestly the spirits baffle me sometimes. Can't they see that Kuvira is going to continue harvesting spirit vines, the reason the vines in RC started abducting people? I can see their qualms about being "used" in war by humans, but surely they could be reasoned to accept a defensive role, or even sanction defensive use of spirit energy technology, like an energy shield?
I guess I have another thing to say about a year's time passage: the spirits not helping didn't make sense back then, and it still doesn't. Or a lot of the stuff to do with the spirits.

I can sort of buy Equalist fervor dying down ("Elections Are Magic") without Amon and Hiroshi around to stir things up, and a nonbender President coming out of free elections resulting in peace and a great reduction in unrest. The hiccupless spirit integration, on the other hand, especially considering how unspiritual most people in TLOK's world are...

Maybe it's something that will come up again in whatever follows. #optimismattempt  Tongue
If it does, it will only be effective as the writers actually have something tangible to say about it. Otherwise it'll just be the same old perplexing "social commentary".
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2015 05:26 pm »

Throughout the entire length of the series, especially during Book 2, I felt like I was the only person that was satisfied with the show and thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone else in the Avatar fanbase just wouldn't stop whining about how "oh the writing, oh the characterization, oh the Book 2 finale kaiju fight, oh the deus ex machinas, this show sucks, blah blah blah blah blah" I knew right from the start that Bryke writes things for a reason, everything has symbolism that contributes to a broader picture. Jinora helping Korra was part of the "Light In The Dark" theme, Korra getting her bending restored by Aang was literally RIGHT AFTER Aang said "when we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change." You may not like it, but the finales were written the way they were for a reason, you gotta deal with it!

And when it comes to other complaints like the pro-bending sequences...It may be strange to see MMA punches and jabs being used as waterbending, but has it occured to you that maybe it's supposed to be seen as strange and unorthodox? Especially in the series premier where you see how the modern pro-bending style and the classic style of bending both clash and intertwine at certain moments? You know, how Korra suddenly got better after she started to implement classic airbending moves?

People like to bring up the Zuko vs. Azula final agni kai to debunk my claims that the bending in Korra does not suck. I got something to say about that. You literally CAN NOT compare the Zuko vs. Azula fight to any of the pro bending matches because it is literally apples and oranges. Two different battles with two completley different styles of bending over two completley different circumstances.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2015 05:44 pm »

You may not like it, but the finales were written the way they were for a reason

I think everyone knows this. The problem is, that many thinks that those reasons were quite screwed up and/or the writing did not follow through the reasons at all no matter how hard it tried. It just all felt rather... sloppy and stilted.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2015 05:51 pm »

You may not like it, but the finales were written the way they were for a reason, you gotta deal with it!

I actually don't have problems with the Deus Ex Machina's but I feel the need to point out that just because something was written with a reasoning it mind...that doesn't automatically make it good. So yes, the finales were written the way they were for a specific reason...that doesn't mean they aren't flawed. Symbolism still has to make sense in the context of the story for it to be good. Kaiju Korra does not make sense...Bryke even admitted that it didn't make sense. That's failed symbolism.

As for Korra getting her bending back. I don't personally take issue with it but I see why people do. It's kinda random. It undoes Korra's losses in a matter of seconds with no real reason. Inserting the line "when we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change." doesn't change any of that. It would if that theme had been a running thing throughout the season...but it wasn't. It was just a random (and admittedly smart sounding) line thrown in before an equally random moment. Again, I personally let it slide, but it's narratively flawed.

As for pro-bending 'MMA punches'...you are looking to much into it or giving it to much credit. The only reason for it was because Bryke got into MMA before developing Korra so they changed the show to fit the style that currently interested them. They admitted that in a commentary. There was no story reason. It wasn't supposed to be 'strange or unorthodox'. They just wanted it to be different. Again though, I don't have a problem with the different style. The fight scenes were cool. That's enough for me.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2015 03:20 am »

Please get back on topic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2015 12:46 am »

I am especially interested in what people think about this point. Do you guys agree? I know some do, but I always wondered how many people are interested in seeing/reading about the world of Korra. Some people are interested in a Red Lotus comic book, but I can't really think of anything more I want to see.

Depends who's writing it. I would totally be there for a Garth Ennis comic about the Red Lotus.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2015 12:26 am »

I am especially interested in what people think about this point. Do you guys agree? I know some do, but I always wondered how many people are interested in seeing/reading about the world of Korra. Some people are interested in a Red Lotus comic book, but I can't really think of anything more I want to see.

Honestly, I think the Avatar world still has plenty of story-telling possibilities left in it. Just look at the setting, a steampunk version of the Roaring Twenties, where things like elemental magic and giant robots with dubstep lasers are commonplace. There's gotta be something the comics can do with that concept alone. Tongue     

As for the story-lines, the Red Lotus' origins could make for an great comic. The villains of LOK are such interesting, complex characters, so any sort of spotlight on them would be a nice surprise. Another thing I feel the comics should do is have Korra travel outside the city more often. Helping in the Earth Kingdom, solving a spirit problem on Kyoshi Island, having an audience with the Fire Lord and family etc. The world needs its Avatar afterall, not just Republic City. Wink And finally, if the Korra comics featured any wacky, time-wasting nonsense about Varrick, Zhu Li and Bolin that would be enough to interest me! Cheesy   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2015 09:40 pm »

When I was watching LOK I usually tried to take a "wait and see" kind of approach with it, in case future episodes addressed any issues I had with the show. But when it ended, I felt pretty disappointed. In retrospect it was actually kind of weird, because I think I found Book 3 the most consistently enjoyable on my first watch, so to go from that to the more underwhelming Book 4 in the span of one year...

There's still a lot of stuff I like about the show, but I think my enjoyment of it has diminished now that I know how it ends. Some of the stuff shown in the earlier seasons feels a bit pointless now, because it didn't lead to anything. And I think a lot of the main cast didn't really develop much, even if there'd be logical ways to develop them.

In the end, the show felt too unfocused for me to enjoy it to the same degree as ATLA.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2016 01:47 am »

When I was watching LOK I usually tried to take a "wait and see" kind of approach with it, in case future episodes addressed any issues I had with the show. But when it ended, I felt pretty disappointed. In retrospect it was actually kind of weird, because I think I found Book 3 the most consistently enjoyable on my first watch, so to go from that to the more underwhelming Book 4 in the span of one year...

There's still a lot of stuff I like about the show, but I think my enjoyment of it has diminished now that I know how it ends. Some of the stuff shown in the earlier seasons feels a bit pointless now, because it didn't lead to anything. And I think a lot of the main cast didn't really develop much, even if there'd be logical ways to develop them.

In the end, the show felt too unfocused for me to enjoy it to the same degree as ATLA.

yeah, that sounds about right.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2016 03:20 pm »

I think its a case of having too many cooks in the kitchen. There's just so many great concepts and characters that the show wants to develop, that they all end up competing for attention and the narrative starts getting unfocused.

I believe the series still re-watchable overall though, I still enjoy the show, its characters and their world, its just that there were a few ideas I feel wouldn't taken to their full potential. What I'm hoping (like Katara) is that the comics might actually give some new development to LOK or at least expand a bit on things that couldn't be completely covered in the show, such as post-Harmonic Convergence RC.      

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2016 11:10 pm »

Yeah, I agree with that. Most of the stuff in the show had a lot of potential, but because there were so many stories and characters there often wasn't much room to use those ideas to their full potential. Hopefully some of it will be addressed in the comics at least.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #43 on: Jan 02, 2016 02:42 pm »

^ Hopefully so. Smiley Say what you will about ATLA's comics, but they do try to answer fans' questions and expand upon things established in the series, such as Ursa's fate or the post-HYW world, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that Korra's comics will do the same for past storylines.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2016 03:08 pm »

Yeah, I agree with that. Most of the stuff in the show had a lot of potential, but because there were so many stories and characters there often wasn't much room to use those ideas to their full potential. Hopefully some of it will be addressed in the comics at least.
^ Hopefully so. Smiley Say what you will about ATLA's comics, but they do try to answer fans' questions and expand upon things established in the series, such as Ursa's fate or the post-HYW world, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that Korra's comics will do the same for past storylines.
Everything I've heard says "Korrasami focused", so I wouldn't hope too much. The only reason I'm watching the comics when it boils down to it is curiosity as to how Mike handles that, and hopefully attempts to do retroactive fleshing out and damage control on Asami's character.

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2016 04:01 pm »

Everything I've heard says "Korrasami focused", so I wouldn't hope too much.

The first comic will be about lil!Korra and Naga, so I wouldn't let my hopes down so easily  Wink.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2016 06:46 pm »

The first comic will be about lil!Korra and Naga, so I wouldn't let my hopes down so easily  Wink.
If Mike or Bryan are writing, I feel they'll try to bring in some Korrasami in one form or another.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2016 06:48 pm by Clowngoon » Logged

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2016 08:40 pm »

The first comic will be about lil!Korra and Naga, so I wouldn't let my hopes down so easily  Wink.
If Mike or Bryan are writing, I feel they'll try to bring in some Korrasami in one form or another.

Frame story of Korra telling Asami how she met Naga.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2016 04:32 pm »

It turns out that Naga was Asami in a furry suit the whole time.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2016 06:46 pm »

It turns out that Naga was Asami in a furry suit the whole time.

That's why this must be True Love, Truuue Looove!

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: