Jun 27, 2017 05:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2016 (May 7th 2016)  (Read 5028 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2016 03:23 pm »

I hope it's horrible just so I can read Loopy's epic rant. xD

I'm not emotionally invested in LoK side-material, so no Epicness from me. Tongue I'll read it once it's available in Dark Horse's digital store for free, more out of curiosity about the Bryan's writing than anything, but considering the promised story, I can't imagine there's a lot of room to screw anything up.

(and, let's be honest, it'd be weird to walk into a comic shop I never intend to return to and ask for free stuff XD; ).

You don't need to feel this way. The whole point of FCBD is to bring new people into shops, and the free comics are specifically designed for new readers and budgeted as a loss-leader. Every comic is designed to make you show up just to get free stuff, and then come back after the first taste, so if you don't come back, that's on the ads comics themselves, not you. Wink

Besides, FCBD is busy enough that no one in your local shop is probably going to remember you, so they'll never know if you come back or not.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2016 07:08 pm »

Here's a little unofficial preview.

(It's half of the first page) Also, no Korrasami apparently.
Can we talk about the unofficial preview?

"Waterbending is all about slow, calm movements."

Did I imagine AtLA? Did I imagine LoK? You guys exist so it can't be in my head.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2016 07:51 pm »

Did I imagine AtLA? Did I imagine LoK? You guys exist so it can't be in my head.
I'm not comprehending your hype...

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2016 08:26 pm »

(and, let's be honest, it'd be weird to walk into a comic shop I never intend to return to and ask for free stuff XD; ).

You don't need to feel this way. The whole point of FCBD is to bring new people into shops, and the free comics are specifically designed for new readers and budgeted as a loss-leader. Every comic is designed to make you show up just to get free stuff, and then come back after the first taste, so if you don't come back, that's on the ads comics themselves, not you. Wink

Besides, FCBD is busy enough that no one in your local shop is probably going to remember you, so they'll never know if you come back or not.

Well, it's not like I'm buying something I had no intention of buying anyway -- if I didn't take the opportunity now, I'd still intend to get it off of Amazon at some unspecified time in the future anyway.  Wink

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2016 08:36 pm »

Poor Katara, Tonraq should be Korra's teacher. Slow and calm isn't part of their vocabulary.

Sig by guitarfreak
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016 06:24 pm »

Well, Korra demonstrated it as a lie. I think we have more evidence that Katara has been senile for a while. Grin

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2016 12:23 am »

Read the comic, it's quite a cute story on how she found Naga. Also very briefly touches upon her uncertainty as the Avatar which surprised me since Korra is still quite young in the comic.

Edit:
Have a happy image of Korra in the last panel of the comic.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016 07:33 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2016 11:18 am »

The comic was adorable and a good short story, but I don’t think its going to turn me on into exploring this series further. I might have to check out the series for How to Train Your Dragon though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016 12:14 pm by Uzuko » Logged
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2016 03:54 pm »

The comic was adorable and a good short story, but I don’t think its going to turn me on into exploring this series further. I might have to check out the series for How to Train Your Dragon though.

I agree.  As a standalone, the comic is fantastic (and, amazingly, it sort of manages to retcon Korra's future to look more hopeful than the series itself suggested!), but the comics moving forward appear to be taking things in a completely different direction, so it doesn't really get me excited to buy in.

On the other hand, it's definitely a nice farewell to the series.

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2016 05:56 pm »

I managed to grab a copy! With previous Avatar Free Comic Book Day releases I've generally ignored them, largely because the artwork usually didn't appeal to me. This one looks really nice though, so I'm glad I managed to get a physical copy.

To be honest, I kind of want a full Young Korra story now. It looks like this one is pre-Red Lotus attack, and it'd be interesting to see a story set around that period (maybe with flash-forwards to the TV show timeline). Or even an anthology of short LOK stories.

With the full Korra comics coming later this year, I'm still waiting for more details about that I guess. (I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't include any promotional materials for it within the free comic, but maybe they wanted to focus on the comics people could immediately buy?)

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2016 07:50 pm »

Well, I have to be frank.  The comic was cute.  That's it.  We pretty much know how Korra's upbringing turned out.  Stuck in the compound for all her life (seperated from the remainder of the SWT as far as I know/care), and we know that Naga is the only friend she had outside of Katara.  Otherwise...  Eh.

I dunno, I guess what keeps me from really liking this more is that Korra's personality at this point is so dull that she can be replaced by about 100 different generic kid characters without any change in the course of events.

Can't say I'm excited about what's coming up, but...  I dunno.  I suppose these comics can't be worse than the ATLA ones.  So long as Yang is kept out, I guess I'll give 'em a shot.

In the meantime, I have the Serenity FCBD and my copy of The Nameless City to read through.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016 07:55 pm by The_Xov » Logged

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2016 12:07 am »

Well, Korra demonstrated it as a lie. I think we have more evidence that Katara has been senile for a while. Grin

Maybe.
It was kind of funny how Korra always bends in a fire or earth way for everything. The White Lotus must have helped her forget the URN way of bending that she hasn't been exposed to yet...

Also I think Mike forgot that Senna is a waterbender too since Tonraq went over to bend apart the snow fort.

Seems really irresponsible to give a wild animal to a 4-5 year old on a whim. Roku didn't have a dragon trust upon him immediately and Appa was more like airbending tradition. And apparently Naga's pack was still out there so they dognap the polar bear dog from her family.

So if all Avatar's have had animal guides in the past, then we know that Wan had an animal guide therefore we know Wan which means we know the devil is in the Tree, right? I mean that seems more important to write down and keep than Wan had a catdeer thing.

It was cute but I'll stick with Grant Morrison's Avatarex.
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2016 01:29 am »

I found a review of the comic, but be warned, there are scans too before the review in case you want to avoid total spoiling.
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/korra-free-comic-2016-friends-for-life-scans-and-review/

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2016 05:20 am »

So if all Avatar's have had animal guides in the past, then we know that Wan had an animal guide therefore we know Wan which means we know the devil is in the Tree, right? I mean that seems more important to write down and keep than Wan had a catdeer thing.

I think Katara just had a hard guess there and did not have actual evidence to back up her words. It was, like, "Aang had Appa, Roku had Ryu, Kyoshi had the Unagi, so probably everyone had something!" - she is a senile old lady now, giver her some credit  Cheesy.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Kota
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I want a site where everyone doesn't hate Korra.

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2016 02:21 pm »

I thought the comic was a cute story and a nice addition while we patiently await the new set of comics. I'm totally behind everything they want to portray and I'm interested in Korra and Asami's relationship development. It seems that you guys nitpick and complain where it isn't needed. I thought this was a site for LoK fans.

-- As such, we would regret it if the tone of the forum became overly negative, especially since this might give new members a wrong idea about the site. --This happened to me, way too much hate for Korra pretty much all the time. "Oh I loved ATLA but LOK is garbage" on every thread. Thanks.
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2016 03:46 pm »

Does anyone know where I can read this online? I don't have any comic book stores near me.

Sig by guitarfreak
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2016 04:07 pm »

It seems that you guys nitpick and complain where it isn't needed. I thought this was a site for LoK fans.

No, this is a site for ATLA and/or TLOK fans. You don't have to like both of them, and you're certainly not obliged to approve of every decision Mike & Bryan made.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016 04:09 pm by NeeNee » Logged

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2016 05:02 pm »

Does anyone know where I can read this online? I don't have any comic book stores near me.

Ikkin posted a scan to tumblr   Smiley (I'm assuming it's okay to post this, as it's a free comic)

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2016 07:37 pm »

I thought the comic was a cute story and a nice addition while we patiently await the new set of comics. I'm totally behind everything they want to portray and I'm interested in Korra and Asami's relationship development. It seems that you guys nitpick and complain where it isn't needed. I thought this was a site for LoK fans.

The problem with LoK is that it decided to cater to the people who didn't like the first half halfway through... which makes the second half less than satisfying for those of us who liked the first half.

It's frustrating to see a favorite show apologizing for the parts that made you like it in the first place. =/

Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2016 07:57 pm »

Ikkin posted a scan to tumblr   Smiley (I'm assuming it's okay to post this, as it's a free comic)
Thank you!  Cheesy

The problem with LoK is that it decided to cater to the people who didn't like the first half halfway through... which makes the second half less than satisfying for those of us who liked the first half.
Nice scans!

Sig by guitarfreak
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2016 08:07 pm »

Seasons 3 and 4 were written at the same time while 2 was being animated, right? So the group wouldn't know that 2 would be what it was in the eyes of the world who hadn't shown frustration from season 1 yet. Isn't there a pic of them at a table with the caption discussing 3 while 2 was being animated and even saying 4 was having ideas thrown around?

I think Katara just had a hard guess there and did not have actual evidence to back up her words. It was, like, "Aang had Appa, Roku had Ryu, Kyoshi had the Unagi, so probably everyone had something!" - she is a senile old lady now, giver her some credit  Cheesy.

Senility does seem likely.
And Korra's parents aren't at Ozai levels of bad, but it seems like they never taught Korra discipline and let her do whatever except be the Avatar.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2016 09:40 pm »

Nice scans!

Thanks!  I saw people passing around photographs without the credits page and I figured, hey, maybe it was worth taking the time to scan it all in.

25,000 notes later (and a reblog from the artist and multiple people from the show's staff)... @_@

Seasons 3 and 4 were written at the same time while 2 was being animated, right? So the group wouldn't know that 2 would be what it was in the eyes of the world who hadn't shown frustration from season 1 yet. Isn't there a pic of them at a table with the caption discussing 3 while 2 was being animated and even saying 4 was having ideas thrown around?

Book 1 definitely drew frustration from a number of the loudest voices against Book 2, mostly in the areas that the show changed the most in Books 3 and 4.  Not to mention, some of the decisions most obviously aimed at the people who didn't like Books 1 and 2 (particularly Korrasami) appear to have been made at the eleventh hour.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2016 11:43 pm »

How about we get back on topic and discuss the comic if you read it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016 02:53 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2016 08:59 am »

I found it a strange design choice that Bryan and the artist decided to have Korra share a room with her parents.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2016 09:39 am »

Part of my job requires me to go to houses and I found it quite common for young children to sleep in the same room as their parents. At least, in my part of the world. I'm not sure if Inuit culture has children sharing the same room with their parents?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: