Aug 21, 2017 03:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2016 (May 7th 2016)  (Read 5265 times)
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2015 11:10 pm »

I can also vouch that it takes a while for a fan to go home and scan the FCBD issues. Tongue

That's why Icy suggested relying on Australians, who have a full extra twelve hours to snag a comic and scan it.  Wink

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2015 12:00 am »

Also, could someone maybe throw in a picture of the cover here on the first page?
Be patient. It'll be up around the weekend. I've been a little busy these few days to go into the front page to update.

That's why Icy suggested relying on Australians, who have a full extra twelve hours to snag a comic and scan it.  Wink
Or Asia. Wink

But I rather just take a picture of the page than scan it. Sometimes the scan quality may not be nice. Taking pics require a steady hand a good quality phone though but I rely on that a lot.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2015 11:19 pm »

I'm interested in seeing a story about Korra as a kid. If it does turn out to be about her meeting Naga, that's be pretty nice. I always wished that we got to see a bit more Korra/ Naga scenes in the show, like how we saw a lot of Aang's relationship with Appa. Actually, it would have been pretty cool if the final scene of the show had been Korra riding off on Naga somewhere (the Earth Kingdom? Obviously in this scenario there'd be setup for that) like the scene from the first episode.

If it's not specifically about Naga, it'd still be cool to see a bit more of Korra growing up in the compound.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2016 02:47 pm »

...Oh God, he's writing comics now...

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2016 04:31 pm »

What do you mean, "now"? Mike was announced as the writer of the Korrasami... err, f*ck, well they really are Korrasami aren't they given what they've announced, longer TLOK comics quite a while ago by now.

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2016 07:16 pm »

What do you mean, "now"? Mike was announced as the writer of the Korrasami... err, f*ck, well they really are Korrasami aren't they given what they've announced, longer TLOK comics quite a while ago by now.
Was that before or after the series finale?  I dropped out of paying attention to Korra news after the creators called us Korrasami skeptics heteronormative [scum], AKA, the moment they officially got absorbed into the Tumblr hivemind.

Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2016 07:46 pm »

It was announced after the series finale - July 2015 to be precise. And judging by what you said, you'll probably want to skip the actual comic comics, given what has been released about their content.

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2016 11:02 pm »

Reminder that you may disagree with the creators' story but bashing them is still against the rules. Be constructive with your criticism.

---------

This free comic features a young Korra and a puppy Naga. I won't worry about Korrasami unless they reveal it to be Korra retelling the story to Asami in present day.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2016 02:09 pm »

It was announced after the series finale - July 2015 to be precise. And judging by what you said, you'll probably want to skip the actual comic comics, given what has been released about their content.
Well...  I'm leery, to say the least...  It's annoying; I don't necessarily mind the existance of Korrasami, I just hate that its development was uber rushed because of fear of soccer moms, and the the division that came about from it and the creators' instigation and support of said division.  But I may be willing to give some of the comics a look, depending on ASN's critic consensus.

I'm a bit surprised they won't be trying to retroactively build up the ship.  Figured they might try to fill in the gaps that they neglected in-series...

Anyway, this comic looks to predate that era by several years and will be full of "Dawwww," so I'll probably pick it up.  Can't possibly be worst than last year's offering.  Still trying to figure out how I could have written a good review of that sucker over six months later. xD

Maybe I can trade a copy of this for a copy of the Toph/TyLee issue from last year. I still don't have that as a hardcopy, despite my best (non-ebay) efforts.

I assume you want a copy just for collector's sake, because there is no way you could otherwise want a copy of that drek.  Unless you want it for the Plantes vs Zombies and Bandette (-OMG BANDETTE IS SO COOL AND HILARIOUS AND SILLY - SHE'S LIKE A FRENCH TY LEE IF SHE WERE ALSO A LITERATURE/RARE ART[IFACTS] BUFF AND A MASTER THIEF THAT LOVES TO BEFRIEND HER VICTIMS' PETS!) comics.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2016 02:21 pm by The_Xov » Logged

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2016 05:56 am »

It certainly seems like there are some people who are very enthusiastic about this comic, specifically the artist:
https://twitter.com/VViiNNG/status/677297689176838144
I though hope that it doesn’t make the art look fuzzy.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2016 06:41 am »

It certainly seems like there are some people who are very enthusiastic about this comic, specifically the artist:
https://twitter.com/VViiNNG/status/677297689176838144
I though hope that it doesn’t make the art look fuzzy.

If this comic refers to K/A in any way I will be eternally disappointed.  The choice of artists couldn't have been any better.

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2016 07:15 pm »

We'll, I'd hope the creative team is enthusiastic about things. LoK and Avatar are hardly such high-profile franchises that artists would sign on just for the paycheck and fame. Tongue

(Disclaimer: Unless, of course, the artists are unknowns, in which case paying work is paying work. But in that case, I'd be using my twitter to make a lot of noise about my projects, too. Every hour on the hour.)

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2016 07:40 pm »

Runamuck meant that those people on Twitter were excited about the artist, not that the artist is enthusiastic about the project.

Though, I'd imagine that the artist is pretty enthusiastic about this. She does a lot of Korra fanart already.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2016 07:58 pm »

Runamuck meant that those people on Twitter were excited about the artist, not that the artist is enthusiastic about the project.

Though, I'd imagine that the artist is pretty enthusiastic about this. She does a lot of Korra fanart already.

I think the Twitter post is from the artist doing the colors, actually -- she's another great fanartist like Makani, and she said she was vibrating with excitement working with the lineart she'd been given. Wink

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2016 08:30 pm »

Ah cool! I didn't know the colourist was another fanartist. Looking through her Twitter, she has a nice art style too. I like this 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors picture she did:

Going back to the subject of the comic, I wonder if the story of how Korra met Naga is an idea they've had for a while now? Sometimes in the artbooks and commentaries they drop little tidbits they've thought about but not shown in the show, so I wonder if the bulk of this story was something they've had in the back of their minds since early on.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2016 11:59 pm »

Going back to the subject of the comic, I wonder if the story of how Korra met Naga is an idea they've had for a while now? Sometimes in the artbooks and commentaries they drop little tidbits they've thought about but not shown in the show, so I wonder if the bulk of this story was something they've had in the back of their minds since early on.

Very likely!  The Book 1 art book says that "We came up with the backstory that people in the Southern Water Tribe usually feared polar bear dogs, but when Korra was a kid, she courageously befriended a pup that was lost in the tundra and named her Naga," which seems like plenty to work with when you're dealing with a six page story.  Wink

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2016 09:42 am »

Very likely!  The Book 1 art book says that "We came up with the backstory that people in the Southern Water Tribe usually feared polar bear dogs, but when Korra was a kid, she courageously befriended a pup that was lost in the tundra and named her Naga," which seems like plenty to work with when you're dealing with a six page story.  Wink
Who wants to bet Korea stumbled on Magazine while she's Penguin sledding?  Would make for an easy and sensible plot vehicle.  It'd be funny if she heard some ghostly jovial laughter mid-slide.

ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2016 11:38 am »

Who wants to bet Korea stumbled on Magazine while she's Penguin sledding?  Would make for an easy and sensible plot vehicle.  It'd be funny if she heard some ghostly jovial laughter mid-slide.

See now that's the kind of fanservice that is a disservice to fanservice.

Korra hates fun. She loves angst and drama.

And besides this is the Southern Water Tribe. What is best Korea North Korea doing in South with Norm of the North?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2016 06:43 pm »

My guess is that Korra is going to be sad about the White Lotus locking her up in a fortress with no friends, and she'll run away and meet Naga.

In which case, I would expect any possible Korrasami framing devices to be about Korra explaining about the Fortress of Solitude to Asami, Asami going "Oh that's awful, you had no friends growing up!", and then Korra says, "Well, I did have one friend," cue flashback.

And then we all come here to rant about the Korrasami and screech, "But what about Katara?!"

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2016 08:43 pm »

Asami going "Oh that's awful, you had no friends growing up!",

As far as we know, Asami had no friends either  Cheesy

But yeah, personally I'd prefer it if there was no Korrasami in this comic. But at the moment there's not much point in worrying about that, I guess.

I'm interested in whether Korra met Naga shortly before going to live in the compound, or after. I can't remember if the show ever specified when she met her.

The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2016 05:27 pm »

See now that's the kind of fanservice that is a disservice to fanservice.

Korra hates fun. She loves angst and drama.

And besides this is the Southern Water Tribe. What is best Korea North Korea doing in South with Norm of the North?
I was hating myself for those phone-autocorrect incorrections until I read your post.  Thanks for turning ungrounded cocoa beans into a rich hot chocolate.  xD

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Apr 30, 2016 03:17 pm »

While there is still a week to the official mass release date for the Free Comic Book Day comic it appears that some people have gotten their copy a little ahead of time, so beware of spoilers.

I hope we’ll get some reviews soon.
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Apr 30, 2016 03:57 pm »

I hope it's horrible just so I can read Loopy's epic rant. xD

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Apr 30, 2016 04:27 pm »

Here's a little unofficial preview.

(It's half of the first page) Also, no Korrasami apparently.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Apr 30, 2016 08:24 pm »

Also, no Korrasami apparently.

And thank goodness for that! 

Now to find a comic shop to get a copy from...  Maybe I'll take the opportunity to pick up a Zim comic, too, because I've been curious about those (and, let's be honest, it'd be weird to walk into a comic shop I never intend to return to and ask for free stuff XD; ).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: