Jul 27, 2017 12:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2016 (May 7th 2016)  (Read 5130 times)
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Dec 16, 2015 02:45 pm »

It looks like the tradition of Avatar related comics for Free Comic Book Day continues, this time with a story from Korra’s time period:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2207/dark-horse-announces-2016-free-comic-book-day-silv
It appears that Michael Dante DeMartino will be writing it. The comic will be drawn by Heather Campbell and colored by Vivian Ng.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2015 01:07 pm by Runamuck » Logged
Chinoiserie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2015 03:12 pm »

Nice that there is a Korra story from before Legend of Korra started instead of after the show ended. I was so disappointed with the ending od the series I will not be reason those comics but I will read this one.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2015 04:06 pm »

I'm surprised it's not about Korrasami.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2015 04:13 pm »

Looks like it'll be Korra and Naga centered. Puppy polar bear dog, or a cub? Tongue I actually want to see this one quite a bit.

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2015 04:53 pm »

The cover alone makes my heart melt! Cheesy Puppy-Cub Naga is a cutie, plus the return of Avatar You Gotta Deal With It Korra.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2015 04:55 pm »

A prequel? I can get into that. As far as I can recall, this will be our first glimpse into Korra's childhood, training under the White Lotus.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2015 06:41 pm »

Looks like it'll be Korra and Naga centered. Puppy polar bear dog, or a cub? Tongue I actually want to see this one quite a bit.
That Toph/Ty Lee one was quite misleading though...

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2015 07:16 pm »

If it's a story on how Korra found Naga, I'm sold.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2015 07:39 pm »

Maybe I can trade a copy of this for a copy of the Toph/TyLee issue from last year. I still don't have that as a hardcopy, despite my best (non-ebay) efforts.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2015 07:52 pm »

My first reaction to hearing "story from Korra’s time period, written by Mike": Do not want.
My reaction after realizing that it was actually a prequel about Korra and Naga: I can't wait!

The art style looks great, too.  ^_^

(Just wait... they'll find some way to reference that ending.  >_>; )

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2015 08:37 pm »

^ I won't be surprised if the ending has post-Book 4 Korra relaxing in the Spirit World as she has a flashback when she tells the story to Asami on how she met Naga.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2015 08:48 pm »

^ I sincerely hope not!
FireGuardian89
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2015 08:50 pm »

Korra and Naga? A comic going into her childhood definitely interests me.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2015 08:53 pm »

^ I sincerely hope not!
Yeah I hope not too but I'll be prepared either way.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2015 10:22 pm »

^ I won't be surprised if the ending has post-Book 4 Korra relaxing in the Spirit World as she has a flashback when she tells the story to Asami on how she met Naga.

I wonder if there's any way to see the comic online before deciding whether to find a comic shop.  As long as the comic stays within the right time period, I have to have it.  If it doesn't, it's not worth going out of my way.  *sighs*

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2015 10:26 pm »

I wonder if there's any way to see the comic online before deciding whether to find a comic shop.  As long as the comic stays within the right time period, I have to have it.  If it doesn't, it's not worth going out of my way.  *sighs*
They released page previews for FCBD 2015 this year which contained the first 2-3 pages of the Toph-Ty Lee comic. Hopefully they do that next year.

You can also ask people in a time zone at least 12 hours ahead of you (like me lol) who will get the FCBD comics first. I've been doing that the past few years and posted non-spoilery reviews.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2015 10:32 pm »

They released page previews for FCBD 2015 this year which contained the first 2-3 pages of the Toph-Ty Lee comic. Hopefully they do that next year.

You can also ask people in a time zone at least 12 hours ahead of you (like me lol) who will get the FCBD comics first. I've been doing that the past few years and posted non-spoilery reviews.

...is FCBD a thing in Asia?  >_>;  12 hours earlier than EST while still being within the scope of US marketing is kind of hard to come by.  XD;

But, yeah, one would presume that the preview will make it clear if they're going to try adding a frame tale to this.  It looks like we got the preview in February this year, so it seems likely that we'll get one around the same time next year.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2015 10:42 pm »

...is FCBD a thing in Asia?  >_>;  12 hours earlier than EST while still being within the scope of US marketing is kind of hard to come by.  XD;
Technically FCBD takes place globally and Australia has this event too. Not sure about Europe. For my country, FCBD is a thing and my local comic stores do appear on the FCBD website.

Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2015 11:08 pm »

Technically FCBD takes place globally and Australia has this event too. Not sure about Europe. For my country, FCBD is a thing and my local comic stores do appear on the FCBD website.

Oh, right, Australia.  Yeah, that seems like the most likely place to get the comic super early.

Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2015 10:37 am »

I keep hearing that Heather Campbell http://makanidotdot.tumblr.com/ supposedly will be the artist for the book, but I have yet to see an official source to back up that statement, does anybody know one?

Also, could someone maybe throw in a picture of the cover here on the first page?

Edit:
Well, I was thinking official as in the statement coming from Dark Horse, but I guess the details coming from the writer is close enough.
http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/135385092085/bryankonietzko-darkhorsecomics-were

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2015 12:53 pm by Runamuck » Logged
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2015 11:03 am »

This better be a depressing comic filled with misery and mistakes and inadequacy with Naga being being the single ray of hope in it all otherwise it will be out of character.

Makani is better suited for the old characters though and Lin's hard knock life.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2015 05:38 pm »

Eh, I'll probably just wiki the plot like I always do with these free comics. I don't actually have any comic stores close to me so I don't pick them up.

Like Ikkin said to, they'll probably find some way to throw in Korrasami in there. Especially since Mike is writing it. I'm somewhat interested in seeing Korra's childhood, but not with that risk. Cheesy

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2015 06:08 pm »

If anyone is hoping to read the whole thing digitally before trying to get it, the odds aren't good. Both Dark Horse and comixology delay making the FCBD stuff available, in my experience.

Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2015 07:08 pm »

Given it's a FREE comic book, surely someone who gets it can scan it and post it online? Unless I have no clue how these laws work (which very well may be), surely they can't say, "Nuh uh, guy who scanned this in, you're stealing and breaking IP law, by disseminating this FREE comic book!" and prosecute someone who gets and scans it in and posts it online for others to see?

That would be like someone suing because another party scanned in a political pamphlet the first party was handing out and the second party posted it online. Or posting an advertisement online that they saw in a shop...

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2015 08:18 pm »

I can also vouch that it takes a while for a fan to go home and scan the FCBD issues. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: