Dec 16, 2017 03:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Question.  (Read 1081 times)
Camo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 02, 2015 06:49 pm »

So my question is, do you need to be a firebender to re-direct lightning. Iroh said in one of the episodes it is simply letting the lightning flow through your Chi paths, but not controlling it. He said something along the lines of "Your're simply its humble guide."

Thoughts?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2015 07:15 pm »

I could see it going both ways. Iroh learned the technique from Waterbenders, so it's possible they could do something similar, but it could be that only a Firebender can manipulate that specific form of energy.

It would be interesting if nonBenders could do it. Although going by the storytelling conventions established by the franchise as a whole, it would be limited to Benders, and probably just Firebenders.

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2015 09:51 am »

It is something I have thought about several times, but it is probably restricted to firebenders. Firebenders are the only type of benders capable of producing lightning, so it would make sense that only they can redirect the energy in lightning. What I want to know is can airbending and firebending block lightning? We have seen earthbending blocking lightning, and water even has as well. For water, the lightning can only be blocked if the waterbender has let go of the water (i.e. forming a wave).

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2016 02:30 pm »

It is something I have thought about several times, but it is probably restricted to firebenders. Firebenders are the only type of benders capable of producing lightning, so it would make sense that only they can redirect the energy in lightning. What I want to know is can airbending and firebending block lightning? We have seen earthbending blocking lightning, and water even has as well. For water, the lightning can only be blocked if the waterbender has let go of the water (i.e. forming a wave).
We've actually seen nothing from a bender block lightning. Electricity cuts through air, fire isn't even physically able to be touched. If firebenders could use fire to block, they wouldn't need to risk redirection.

Lightning has always blown through earth barriers. Katara didn't actually block Azula's attack, sure there was steamy collision but the lightning blast did indeed go right through.

The only defense against lightning would be redirection or a really thick natural land formation. I suppose metal would work but it's too conductive.

I came to slay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: