Apr 27, 2017 02:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 1 (6.3%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 2 (12.5%)
7 - 5 (31.3%)
6 - 1 (6.3%)
5 - 1 (6.3%)
4 - 3 (18.8%)
3 - 2 (12.5%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #12] Smoke and Shadow, Part 3  (Read 7297 times)
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #75 on: Apr 12, 2016 03:23 pm »

What would he say, its not like Ozai would listen to him.

I have always thought Iroh is the sort that does not push at closed doors. I think its why he's never tried to really get through to Azula.

I believe if there was a chance Ozai was receptive to anything Iroh had to say to him, then Iroh would try. As it is I think Iroh is happy to help those who need and want it and that he and Ozai are sort of done.

Ursa sort of said it herself, Ozai has no room in his heart anyone.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016 03:26 pm by Gundleer » Logged

Did you miss me?
ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #76 on: Apr 14, 2016 08:02 pm »

Wound up that way. I've always found Ozai, his hamminess, and nearly everything he says extremely funny. His voice actor killed it.

That's cause his voice actor is the same VA as the Joker from the old batman animated series... of course most people know him better for his portrayal of a certain Luke 'insert badass middle name' Skywalker, most recently seen staring with intensity and sadness without a solitary speaking line in the latest Star Wars.

Now I haven't talked about the book yet... that's deliberate.  I didn't like it that much.

The only thing I liked was the part where Aang says something like 'If Sokka were here he'd....' and Suki interupted him by having already started the very thing that she thought Sokka would do, it was totally cute.  Take that Tokka crazies!  Sukka forever!

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #77 on: Apr 14, 2016 08:35 pm »

Apparently for some people, saying that Zuko survives is considered a spoiler. Even though we see him in the flesh in Korra...

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #78 on: Apr 16, 2016 03:29 pm »

Maybe it was a clone. He seemed to be suffering from clone degeneration, given how poorly he fought. Grin

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #79 on: Apr 17, 2016 04:56 pm »

I guess I should also tell them that Aang and Katara will have three children and that Aang dies and becomes Korra too.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #80 on: Apr 17, 2016 06:11 pm »

Also, Kuei's daughter eats his bear.

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #81 on: Apr 18, 2016 01:26 pm »

Finally read it, need time to process to do a full review, but for now quick reaction thoughts.

In the end, Gene played it safe with the two big aspects, Azula's character and the love triangle. In the end, Azula's morality is left to interpertation like at the end of the Search, you can view as good or evil. She did horrible things but in her mind for the greater good, she was helping, so see is a anti hero or anti villain, and as for the relationship stuff, what should have happened in Korra, everyone's single.

That being said it would be in poor taste for Zuko and Mai to get back together now, they have other stuff to deal with.

Gene and Bryke they have been Naruto haven't they.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #82 on: Apr 18, 2016 06:03 pm »

So the power rankings for firebending need to be reworked if Kiyi can just straight up melt metal. Even the Comet enhanced firebenders in AtLA couldn't do that feat.

I am glad I'm not the only person who noticed that. When she did that, I was like whaaaaat? Tbh, I don't think the author realised what he was doing when he wrote that scene. Her flames would need around 1300 degrees to acomplish that. Then again, she is from Roku's blood line

Same reaction here. I'm just gonna tell myself that the door was actually wood painted to look like metal, because that's the only way it makes any sense whatsoever. Grin
It also explains why they needed a bucket to douse the fire.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #83 on: Apr 18, 2016 09:05 pm »

Well, now I have to write a short story exploring the long cultural evolution that ended with the Fire Nation painting wooden doors to look like metal as part of some kind of avant garde style.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #84 on: Apr 19, 2016 07:44 am »

^ I was gonna go with "Azula couldn't afford a metal door and figured the kids would be too stupid to notice the difference anyway", but your explanation sounds way cooler. Cheesy

Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #85 on: Apr 20, 2016 08:52 am »

It also explains why they needed a bucket to douse the fire.
Grin I think the door was just too hot for the kids to climb through, it would be kind of strange that Kiyi couldn't just put the flames out her self.

This comic was pretty mediocre and I felt like it just ruined some of the characters. Zuko and Azula's relationship specifically. The fight scene between those two made me cringe, last time I checked, Zuko was capable of fighting on even terms with her but then again he did try to use fire daggers against her, which didn't end too well for him the last time he tried those.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2016 02:38 pm by Niko » Logged

Sig by guitarfreak
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #86 on: Apr 24, 2016 08:23 pm »

Well after some thought, here is my review. As always I thought that art was fine. Aang didn't have much to do, he seemed what he did in the story anyone could have done, except for dragging Zuko to show him what he discovered.

I think Azula's new group has some prudential to develop Azula's character. Maybe she will bond with them, she calls him her sisters, but to me she is more like their mother. If she stays like this, I have this story idea that one day Azula and her crew, maybe one day they will counter Izuma.

So Zuko and Mai are not back together yet, but they are single, and I am okay with that, they both need time to get though some family issues.

And Kiya for future Kyoshi Warrior, I think she would be awesome with some training of course. With their closeness to Zuko who knows, I am sure she would love to protect her brother. Though I hope next time we get back to the Fire Nation, Kiya and Azula get to have an encounter.

As for Azula character direction, we knew she wasn't getting redeemed in this story, but she took some steps, not wanting the throne, and separate herself more for Ozai, but she still has some messed values she needs to sort, she wants to help Zuko in her own twisted way, but needs to learn being a tyrant does make her a good leader. But I think she is right in one way, Zuko has to be a strong leader that people respected, and not be pushed by the other nations leaders, or seen as so weak the citizens will think he can be over thrown, but doesn't he has to be a tyrant.

And Azula wants to Zuko's adviser, well sorry that job is taking, but it will be vacant someday as Iroh is not going to live forever, as we see in Legend Of Korra, another thing the idea of non Fire Lord royals die to be forgotten and not celebrated, I am sure Zuko will change, when Iroh dies, I am sure Zuko is going to make sure he gets celebrated like a Fire Lord would, and we see in Legend of Korra, he is not forgotten, Korra knows who he is.

That being said, it was okay, didn't live up to the hype, but I don't know if it could.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #87 on: Apr 25, 2016 05:49 am »

So Zuko and Mai are not back together yet, but they are single, and I am okay with that, they both need time to get though some family issues.
I have a theory that Zuko forced Kei-Lo to break up with Mai. It makes sense to me, through out the entire trilogy Kei-Lo was crazy for Mai and out of no where he call it quits? Not only that Zuko has shown signs of jealously. Kei-Lo getting up in Zuko's face in the third book may have really pissed him off and as Fire Lord there are limitless ways he can get what he wants. Zuko probably bribed or threatened the man too, he looked more heart broken than Mai to me.

+10 Ruthless Fire Lord points

Just my theory though, because I doubt the break up will be adressed later on.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016 05:51 am by Niko » Logged

Sig by guitarfreak
The_Xov
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #88 on: Apr 30, 2016 09:36 pm »

Apparently for some people, saying that Zuko survives is considered a spoiler. Even though we see him in the flesh in Korra...
Congratulations.  You have solved the mystery of who these comics were made for.  The ill-informed and moronic.

(Before people lynch me, target audience is different from actual audience [that likes this...alternate timeline].)

iKeep: The Airbending Wipeout Obstacle Course from Original Airbenders!
That bastard formerly known as mike50333
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2016 12:25 am »

Let's start with the sour parts. I disliked how Aang and Suki/Ty Lee were ditched and rendered to be little more than observes. Come on, Aang is the Avatar for crying out loud!

Seriously, an Aang, Ty Lee and Suki adventure is such a rare sight, it could've been its own life-changing field-trip with new, fun character dynamics! I know its not their trilogy, but still, the Avatar and Kyoshi Warriors are an interesting team-up, its a shame not more was done with it. Tongue

Oh yeah, and the worst: Azula's crew has got named character, while the Kyoshi Warriors still haven't  Angry

One day...  Cry

This is part of the reason why I'm Team Suzuki, more screen-time for Suki, means more character development for her and (hopefully) the other Kyoshi Warriors.

On the other hand, the way Azula was drawn, and especially her expression, are top-notch. Her crew is also all sorts of crazy with those faces.

I agree, Gurihiru deserve an award for Azula and her crew's facial expressions alone. Cheesy It takes talent to make an single frame come across as animated as the tv series itself.

We have got a cool new character in the shape of General Mak who is like a goodguy!Zhao: he has sick facial hair and he is all sorts of angry when he is doing his job.

Suddenly for some reason, I want to see General Mak star in his own spinoff comic set in the Water Tribe...

The subtle connection between Kiyi's own and the Ursa/Ozai arc was also cool (anyone noticed that Kiyi is Ozai as he wants to see himself or was it just me?).

The fact that Kiyi can already melt a metal door after figuring out how to firebend five minutes ago got a laugh out of me.

I pity the poor, lost soul who tries challenging her to an Agni Kai.

^ I was gonna go with "Azula couldn't afford a metal door and figured the kids would be too stupid to notice the difference anyway", but your explanation sounds way cooler. Cheesy

According to Mai's father, all his money went into renting out the evil lair, between that, the Kemikurages' wardrobe budget and smoke machines, obviously Azula couldn't afford to buy quality metal doors.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2016 06:21 pm »

According to Mai's father, all his money went into renting out the evil lair, between that, the Kemikurages' wardrobe budget and smoke machines, obviously Azula couldn't afford to buy quality metal doors.

We joke, but this now has me wondering, how much money did Mai's family have? Were they old money? New money? Was there a clan system with pooled resources?

I need more Fire Nation society. I want it to have defining characteristics besides the color red and the misfortune of having Zuko as the boss.

ViridianIV
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2016 09:03 pm »

One day...  Cry

This is part of the reason why I'm Team Suzuki, more screen-time for Suki, means more character development for her and (hopefully) the other Kyoshi Warriors.

Suzuki!?!? WTH is that? Do you mean Suzuko?  Or even just Zuki... that's at least three letters of each.

\"That woman is my hero.\"
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2016 09:12 pm »

I'm going to find it funny if Kiyi learns lightning generation before she's even 10 while 20 something year old Zuko still struggles....

Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2016 08:23 am »

I'm going to find it funny if Kiyi learns lightning generation before she's even 10 while 20 something year old Zuko still struggles....
Lol! Maybe Zuko just wasn't meant to be a lightningbender. Who need's it, when you can redirect?!

Kiyi on the other hand is gonna turn into a cold blooded Meelo machine.

Sig by guitarfreak
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2016 11:31 am »

Ugh, don't remind me. I still think that her melting through a metal door as being lame.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2016 11:58 am »

One day...  Cry

Suzuki!?!? WTH is that?

It propels a ship  Grin!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2016 02:37 pm »

Ugh, don't remind me. I still think that her melting through a metal door as being lame.
The panels did show her concentrating and breathing for a good while, and the metal was made to hold toddlers so I'd imagine it's not high quality.

Sig by guitarfreak
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2016 03:31 pm »

That still doesn't work for me and I doubt that the bars in the jail under the Earth Queen's palace were stronger than a thick, metal door. Mako barely managed to cut through ONE. I have a hard time seeing Kiyi be a stronger firebender than Mako.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2016 03:41 pm »

Nah, that door was wood. It just looked like metal because the metal paint was melting off.

That's my theory and I stick with it.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2016 06:28 pm »

The panels did show her concentrating and breathing for a good while, and the metal was made to hold toddlers so I'd imagine it's not high quality.

They make metal specifically for holding toddlers? There is literally "toddler-grade" steel in active production somewhere?

And if not, does anyone think there's a market for toddler-grade steel that I can get in on?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: