Dec 11, 2017 09:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 1 (6.3%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 2 (12.5%)
7 - 5 (31.3%)
6 - 1 (6.3%)
5 - 1 (6.3%)
4 - 3 (18.8%)
3 - 2 (12.5%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #12] Smoke and Shadow, Part 3  (Read 9035 times)
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2016 08:43 pm »

I'm fine with Azula not being a joke of a bender, but for her to defeat Zuko easily and then have a sassy remark about always being on top(she did kind of cheat)!? Seems like they threw more than just character development out the window because it's insane how Azula is effortlessly defeating everyone. The writer must've loved her so much that he downgraded every other character just to make her look like the best. Since when was she a better hand to hand combatant than Ty-Lee or Suki? The lightning redirection was just dumb, Zuko let himself get hit because of reasons, it's not like the bolt was incapable of being redirected again.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016 07:13 am by Stormy Daze » Logged

I came to slay.
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2016 08:59 pm »

Who thinks kiyi will surpass zuko and azula??

She's probably related to Mako and Bolin in some way. Would explain how they are strongest evah in da world.
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2016 10:41 pm »

I'm fine with Azula not being a joke of a bender, but for her to defeat Zuko easily and then have a sassy remark about always being on top(she did kind of cheat)!? Seems like they threw more than hust character development out the window because it's insane how Azula is effortlessly defeating everyone. The writer must've loved her so much that he downgraded every other character just to make her look like the best. Since when was she a better hand to hand combatant than Ty-Lee or Suki? The lightning redirection was just dumb, Zuko let himself get hit because of reasons, it's not like the bolt was incapable of being redirected again.
Azula has always been pretty decent in hand to hand combat, such as in her first fight with Zuko. However he was overly aggressive and not as calm and collected as she was during that fight. She was also able to fight with Suki, albeit with firebending, however she did manage to disarm Suki and knock her to the ground without bending. I do think that Ty Lee is better in hand to hand combat, so that was a little off. Strangely I am okay with Azula knocking Zuko down a peg at least once. He's been dominating her since the series ended, it was nice to see that this time it wasn't going to be the case.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2016 12:22 am »

Am I the only one who felt that Azula isn't completely sane and normal? I thought she was still unhinged, especially the way she was threatening and gazing at Ukano. It just felt completely unsettling and unnatural.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Everlasting Dragon

« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2016 04:20 am »

Am I the only one who felt that Azula isn't completely sane and normal? I thought she was still unhinged, especially the way she was threatening and gazing at Ukano. It just felt completely unsettling and unnatural.

She still does have the crazy eyes in some parts (especially that one), so you're not alone. I don't think she will ever get over all her issues, at least in that space of time.

Now that a friend had posted her own analysis of this on her blog, it makes me think that Azula deliberately had Ukano spending all his money so that the NOS would eventually be out of funds and crumble like the walls of Ba Sing Se. Whether or not that was intended by Yang, I will admit that it's a good plot twist, along with the other things.

Apart from that, I forgot to mention the part with Iroh and Ursa. It's starting to be a while since I watched the show, but I still remember how deep Iroh could get when speaking to others. I miss his words of wisdom and quotes.

He is called Kalameet. A ferocious dragon indeed, even mighty Anor Londo dared not provoke his ire. — Hawkeye Gough
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2016 07:25 am »

She was also able to fight with Suki, albeit with firebending, however she did manage to disarm Suki and knock her to the ground without bending. I do think that Ty Lee is better in hand to hand combat, so that was a little off.
Suki got better while in prison, she is now as good as Ty Lee.

Strangely I am okay with Azula knocking Zuko down a peg at least once. He's been dominating her since the series ended, it was nice to see that this time it wasn't going to be the case.
She still cheated IMO. You're not supposed to kick in a fist fight, right? Well she kicked him in a bending fight, and at close range. When they shot they're giant fireballs at each other, neither of them could overpower the other. It was the smoke getting into his lungs as well, after all it managed to suffocate a bloody airbender...
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016 07:27 am by Stormy Daze » Logged

I came to slay.
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2016 07:31 am »

I'm kind of surprised that people think she is supposed to be sane and normal now, to be honest.  I mean, even apart from the way she was drawn, if Azula was fully back to her old self, she'd definitely realize that telling Zuko what she was trying to do would allow him to completely undermine everything she'd done so far.

So this "my purpose in life is to make you a great Fire Lord who rules by fear" thing comes off as more of a desperate last minute regression (like Zuko siding with Azula at the end of Book 2) than a proper stopping-point for her character.  Part of her even seems to realize it isn't going to work, but she's still not quite able to give up on her understanding of fear yet.

There's definitely potential there for a great resolution to her arc if Gene/some other writer is able to pull it off.

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Mar 20, 2016 07:34 am »

That is one of the main problems I had with the comic because the whole point for her was to reconcile with her mother and accept that fear is not the way to treat people but instead gene chose azula's destiny to be for her to make zuko into a ruthless ruler which is so stupid.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Mar 20, 2016 09:21 am »

This is sane Azula. I wasn't expecting her to act exactly the same as she did before she went crazy. Azula is free now, not obsessing over Ursa and hallucinating. Calling her crazy because of the way she looked at Ukano doesn't necessarily mean she's still insane, and she never even mentions Ursa.

I came to slay.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #34 on: Mar 20, 2016 10:18 am »

This is sane Azula. I wasn't expecting her to act exactly the same as she did before she went crazy. Azula is free now, not obsessing over Ursa and hallucinating. Calling her crazy because of the way she looked at Ukano doesn't necessarily mean she's still insane, and she never even mentions Ursa.

From what we have been given by the series and the comics, I don't think Azula has ever been normal.  She's recovering from her breakdown still and as other have said there are still times in part 3 when the dark lines appear under her eyes. I wonder if she will ever be fully healed, and it will be something she will just have to live with much like Zuko and his heavily scarred face.

Did you miss me?
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Everlasting Dragon

« Reply #35 on: Mar 20, 2016 11:11 am »

That is one of the main problems I had with the comic because the whole point for her was to reconcile with her mother and accept that fear is not the way to treat people but instead gene chose azula's destiny to be for her to make zuko into a ruthless ruler which is so stupid.

I'm disappointed that this didn't happen, but I hope it will if they plan on making more comics in the future. I've been wanting this for a while because their last reunion in The Search was sad. Sad

He is called Kalameet. A ferocious dragon indeed, even mighty Anor Londo dared not provoke his ire. — Hawkeye Gough
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Mar 20, 2016 12:31 pm »

From what we have been given by the series and the comics, I don't think Azula has ever been normal.  She's recovering from her breakdown still and as other have said there are still times in part 3 when the dark lines appear under her eyes. I wonder if she will ever be fully healed, and it will be something she will just have to live with much like Zuko and his heavily scarred face.
Are you sure those dark lines aren't just how the illustrator chooses to draw Azula(If I'm not mistaken other characters get those dark lines when angered)? She has not exhibited any of her crazy behaviors which included talking to herself or attacking reflections. You're right about Azula never being truly normal.

I came to slay.
Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #37 on: Mar 20, 2016 12:49 pm »

Thats how I read it, in "the search"  the dark lines seemed to be used everytime she went off the deep end. I could be wrong, just speculating.

Did you miss me?
Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Mar 20, 2016 02:14 pm »

I'm disappointed that this didn't happen, but I hope it will if they plan on making more comics in the future. I've been wanting this for a while because their last reunion in The Search was sad. Sad
Yeah I agree, if the creators could do only do one thing with Azula's character it should have been confronting Ursa but the two characters never even mention each other, honestly i have never felt so cheated reading a comic book.
Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #39 on: Mar 20, 2016 02:38 pm »

I disagree actually, considering events in this comic I really want to see Azula confront Ozai. Ozai is (or at least was) most important person in Azula life.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2016 02:41 pm by Atren » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2016 03:10 pm »

I think Azula is still unhinged; Gurihiru is clearly giving her the Crazy Eyes. Azula is just holding it together enough to be functional thanks to her denial. My problem is that this is basically freezing her in a state similar to where she was as of The Southern Raiders, where I think she was already showing strong signs of slipping. And this after The Search already showed Azula in a certain state of denial about her own culpability in her downfall by blaming everything on an Ursa-led conspiracy, but then made her realize near the end that the conspiracy was all in her head.

I just want to see Azula move forward with her arc. Whether than leads to some kind of redemption or a truly pathetic end, let's take the next step on that journey.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2016 03:37 pm »

Okay, so I too had the chance to read the comic. I'm actually not disappointed, and not only because I had low expectations to begin with, but because there are small redeeming features in the comic that kinda uplifts the whole thing.

Let's start with the sour parts. I disliked how Aang and Suki/Ty Lee were ditched and rendered to be little more than observes. Come on, Aang is the Avatar for crying out loud! Mai's (and to a lesser extent, Ukano's) story running an empty circle was another major 'bleh'. Oh yeah, and the worst: Azula's crew has got named character, while the Kyoshi Warriors still haven't  Angry.

On the other hand, the way Azula was drawn, and especially her expression, are top-notch. Her crew is also all sorts of crazy with those faces. We have got a cool new character in the shape of General Mak who is like a goodguy!Zhao: he has sick facial hair and he is all sorts of angry when he is doing his job. The subtle connection between Kiyi's own and the Ursa/Ozai arc was also cool (anyone noticed that Kiyi is Ozai as he wants to see himself or was it just me?).

I guess that's all. Overall, I give the third part a 7/10 and the trilogy as a whole worth roughly the same score. 

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #42 on: Mar 20, 2016 04:11 pm »

General Mak has been there since The Promise, I believe. He's the guy they always use when Zuko needs to give orders to someone.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #43 on: Mar 20, 2016 04:15 pm »

General Mak has been there since The Promise, I believe.

Yeah, he was in the first part for something like a single panel.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Mar 20, 2016 05:46 pm »

General Mak has been there since The Promise, I believe.

Yeah, he was in the first part for something like a single panel.
General Mak has been there since The Promise, I believe. He's the guy they always use when Zuko needs to give orders to someone.
Correction, he was in the second part.

I came to slay.
Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Mar 20, 2016 07:40 pm »

I'm sorry but I can't like a comic for completely ruining a character arc 8 years in the making.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Mar 20, 2016 08:22 pm »

The writer spent too much time planning how badass Azula should be that he completely forgot about her issues revolving around Ursa, another character ruined by these comics.

I came to slay.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #47 on: Mar 20, 2016 08:53 pm »

This trilogy might have been a letdown but I'm pretty sure Azula's arc has barely started and isn't over yet. There are still many years to go before Korra is born. This isn't going to be the last time we've seen of her.

As for Ursa, eh, she had issues with Ozai and now that she's seemingly over it, I guess the writer can choose to focus on the mother-daughter dynamic in due time.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Everlasting Dragon

« Reply #48 on: Mar 20, 2016 11:56 pm »

Yeah I agree, if the creators could do only do one thing with Azula's character it should have been confronting Ursa but the two characters never even mention each other, honestly i have never felt so cheated reading a comic book.

Maybe this isn't the end... I won't give up on Azula's (and Ursa's) story, but I hope they don't forget it. It is disappointing to say the least.

It's good to see a happier Azula and know she has new friends (Fire Warriors) which she must've found a sisterly bond with, but that reunion with her mother was the most important.

Anti-Complaint: Speaking of Fire Warriors, Zirin has long braids... Like Ty Lee... Just saying! Tongue I have a headcanon that Zirin is the first girl Azula approached in the institution and her second in charge. I'm starting to ship Zirzula like I do with Tyzula. I have a serious problem! Cheesy

I'm going to remain neutral on this trilogy because there were some not so great parts, but then there were some good parts. I really like Zirin now and the fact that Azula doesn't discriminate in who she recruits on her side. These are girls she probably wouldn't have considered in her league, but she saw potential in them and doesn't care about looks. They all look grumpy in that one picture. xD I really want to see how she got her them all together, but I doubt the comics will reflect it. I'm sure many fan fics will be created to satisfy that mighty need. I wish they all had names, though.

Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Mar 21, 2016 06:36 am »

As for Ursa, eh, she had issues with Ozai and now that she's seemingly over it, I guess the writer can choose to focus on the mother-daughter dynamic in due time.
That was the weakest arc ever tbh. Ursa expresses fear of Ozai out of no where in the first book, it's completely absent in the second part, Iroh shows up to tell her that he never got over Lu-Ten's death and Ursa just gets a boost of courage to stand before Ozai for 5 seconds just to tell him he's a little man.

The only good part about it was Ozai's reaction. "COME BACK AND GROVEL BEFORE ME! DID YOU HEAR ME?!"

I came to slay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: