Aug 16, 2017 11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 1 (6.3%)
9 - 0 (0%)
8 - 2 (12.5%)
7 - 5 (31.3%)
6 - 1 (6.3%)
5 - 1 (6.3%)
4 - 3 (18.8%)
3 - 2 (12.5%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #12] Smoke and Shadow, Part 3  (Read 8047 times)
Niko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bolin time!

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2016 06:16 am »

They make metal specifically for holding toddlers? There is literally "toddler-grade" steel in active production somewhere?
Lol maybe not in the real world but who knows what types of metal exist in the Avatar verse besides the endless supply of platinum?

I'm sticking with the metal being thin and cheaply made, like the Earth Kingdom air ship controls that Korra smashed up with airbending.

Nah, that door was wood. It just looked like metal because the metal paint was melting off.

That's my theory and I stick with it.
I'm starting to get confused. Zuko managed to punch through a metal stool with firebending, or was it was painted to look like metal?!

But this is the same Zuko that can shatter metal chains with his foot... Angry Cheap metal or wood?

That still doesn't work for me and I doubt that the bars in the jail under the Earth Queen's palace were stronger than a thick, metal door. Mako barely managed to cut through ONE. I have a hard time seeing Kiyi be a stronger firebender than Mako.
Mako better get him some of that Roku blood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think we should take into consideration the material the metals were made out of too and not just how thick it is. For all we know Mako could've been trying to burn through that dang platinum!  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016 06:19 am by Niko » Logged

Sig by guitarfreak
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #101 on: Jul 08, 2016 04:49 pm »

I can't be the only one that genuinely enjoyed or found something to enjoy when it comes to the entire Avatar series as a whole. I mean....I honest to God feel like the end of ATLA also marked the end of the unity that the avatar fanbase had....Once Korra and the comics came out, everything just became so polarizing.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #102 on: Jul 08, 2016 04:56 pm »

To be fair, back when it was just the original series, you either liked it or you didn't, and since this is an ATLA theme forum, it could be presumed that we all liked it, hence the lack of division.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #103 on: Jul 08, 2016 05:08 pm »

I genuinely enjoyed the discussion about the wooden door painted to look metal. Grin

However, it's factually incorrect to say that the fandom became polarized after AtLA ended: Book Fire was somewhat polarizing by itself, and I believe that's when Eric Coleman stopped having any direct involvement. The original AtLA stuff was just lightning in a bottle, and so naturally everything that comes after that is going to be for diminishing returns.

fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Jul 08, 2016 09:14 pm »

Honestly, I don't think there should be any shame in just being honest and saying "Look, my tastes have changed and I really don't like Avatar as much as I originally did." It's like, why try and pretend that you're still this massive fan of the series if the things you dislike about it are beginning to outweigh the things you like?
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2016 09:15 pm by fraroc » Logged
Kairok
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #105 on: Jul 08, 2016 09:21 pm »

^ I agree, though I don't feel my inner Avatard diminishing.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #106 on: Jul 09, 2016 02:14 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't consider myself an Avatar fan anymore, because the "Avatar" franchises now includes a lot of stuff I don't like, but I'm still every bit as much of an Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon fan as I ever was, and there are enough links to it amidst the new stuff to keep me invested in (although not satisfied with) the rest of the franchise. Plus, there's no real dedicated AtLA fandom communities around that ignore the new stuff, so I'm stuck with the franchise as a whole. Of course, there's the possibility that Dark Horse could get a new creative team and start producing good Avatar comics. I wouldn't want to miss that if it happens.

I suspect it's the same for a lot of people. Lots of fandoms have "Dark Ages" where they wait around for something good to come along and make their opinion of the bad stuff known in hopes of communicating the need for change.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: Jul 09, 2016 02:26 pm »

I agree. I don't like the franchise all that much anymore, but I love the cartoon still! I watched the entire first season not that long ago and still hold it in high esteem. In addition, I still enjoy reading Avatar related stories, provided they are good of course.

The franchise needs a new creative team. It isn't fair (nor a good thing in general) that it is basically being written by one guy only (that is, if you don't include Korra into the mix).
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2016 02:48 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #108 on: Jul 09, 2016 03:14 pm »

Plus, there's no real dedicated AtLA fandom communities around that ignore the new stuff, so I'm stuck with the franchise as a whole.

As much as I'd love a community dedicated exclusively to the cartoon, I'm not sure how viable that would be.  The reason it doesn't exist is probably because it isn't sustainable since you can't really have discussions about A:TLA without inevitably bringing in aspects of the canon which will naturally lead to discussions about the comics and Korra.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #109 on: Jul 09, 2016 04:45 pm »

I don't know that it isn't theoretically sustainable, since there's a Ghostbuster fandom that doesn't care about the Real cartoon and related material, and a Star Wars fandom that didn't care about anything from the Expanded Universe (Disney's management has thrown this into a bit of chaos, admittedly), and even a decades-old Sailor Moon fandom that had no idea what was in the manga that inspired the original anime. Sometimes, a hyper-focused fandom can sustain at least a small community.

That said, I don't need to be fanatical about an AtLA Cartoon fandom. Mentioning LoK and the comics would be fine, the same with how the Star Wars Movies fandom sometimes mentioned something from the books. I'd be fine with talking about the comics the same way the existing Avatar fandom talks about Nighty's movie.

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #110 on: Jul 09, 2016 05:26 pm »

^So let's do it!  It could be fun! Smiley

Gundleer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Because I'm a people person...

« Reply #111 on: Sep 21, 2016 04:19 pm »

So I think one question every one was unsure of from part 3 has been answered by the library edition. Although I haven't seen the book myself a reliable review on YouTube mentioned that in the annotations it confirms that Azula does use lightning redirection on Zuko. So there is that.

Did you miss me?
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #112 on: Dec 17, 2016 01:21 am »

Sharing comments by Gene & Gurihiru from Part 3 in the library editon of Smoke and Shadow like I did with Part 1 and Part 2. There might be typos.

Gene's comments:

The scene where Azula redirects lightning at Zuko.
Uncle Iroh trained Zuko to redirect lightning in "Bitter Work." He later used his new skill against both Ozai and Azula. In both the animated series, and the comics, lightning redirection was used to show Zuko's power, his mastery of firebending.

In this scene, we're using it in the same way, only for Azula.

Mai tells Zuko that her father was involved with the New Ozai Society.
Ukano's affinity for secret societies mirrors China's in the early 1900s.

Azula takes off her mask.
Azula met most of those ladies during her time in the mental institution.

Zuko and company are in the Royal Family Graveyard.
The dome-shaped tombs in this graveyard were inspired by ancient Asian graveyards. In China's Fujian Province and in Japan's Ryukyu Islands, tombs were sometimes made to look like tortoiseshells. People smarter than me speculate that this was done to put the deceased under the care of the Black Tortoise, one of the Four Celestial Beings in Asian folklore.

Incidentally, I used the Four Celestial Beings in The Shadow Hero, a graphic novel I did with my friend Sonny Liew.

Kiyi firebends.
We discussed whether or not Kiyi should be a Firebender. You can see our conclusion on this page.

The flashback of kid!Azula eating the mochi that kid!Mai stole.
The flashback here is inspired by a story my parents used to tell me when I was a kid. Whenever I misbehaved, they would threaten to call an old witch who lived in the hills. Sometimes, for extra drama, they would even pick up the phone and begin to dial. Supposedly, the witch would come down and drag disobedient children back up to her hovel by their earlobes. My parents told me you could tell which children were bad by how long their earlobes were.

Don't worry. I'm all better now.

Mai says purple isn't Azula's color.
I disagree with Mai. I think Azula looks great in purple.

Zuko and Azula exchange blows in the graveyard.
This is a nod to Zuko and Azula's final confrontation in the series finale, one of the most beautifully rendered martial arts fights ever, in my opinion.

Iroh comforts Ursa.
Iroh's words here echo a parental pep talk a friend gave me.

Zuko and Azula continue to fight.
We wanted Zuko and Azula's fight to feel grittier than any of their previous fights. Hence, fire daggers.

Zuko asks his citizens for forgiveness and resolves to do better.
So many of our political disagreements these days can be boiled down to a tension between security and freedom, don't you think?

The last page where Kiyi isn't giving Ursa the cold shoulder.
It took us a long time, both in the script and in the art, to get the second-to-last panel right.

Gurihiru's comments:

Azula takes off her mask.
We were happy to have Azula back. She seems to be much more calm and not like the irrational person she used to be.

Zuko and company are in the Royal Family Graveyard.
We used the tomb we saw on our trip to China as reference.

Ukano cries outside the children's door.
We actually laughed at the children's reactions when we drew this. Sorry, Ukano! You are looking so sad.

More behind the scenes sketches.

Kemurikage:
The mask is asymmetrical, which evokes a sense of unease, and to make them look like spirits, smoke comes out from the bottom of the cloak.

New Ozai Society:
The members of New Ozai Society wear Ozai's headband, but in order to hide their identity, we designed it to cover half their face. Since they work in the dark, we chose dark colors for their costumes.

Kei Lo:
Kei Lo first appeared in the Free Comic Book Day short story "Rebound." The design here is basically the same, but we made him a more strong-willed young man by changing his eyes a little bit.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2016 01:39 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #113 on: Dec 17, 2016 01:49 am »

Sharing comments by Gene & Gurihiru from Part 3 in the library editon of Smoke and Shadow like I did with Part 1 and Part 2. There might be typos.

Gene's comments:

The scene where Azula redirects lightning at Zuko.
Uncle Iroh trained Zuko to redirect lightning in "Bitter Work." He later used his new skill against both Ozai and Azula. In both the animated series, and the comics, lightning redirection was used to show Zuko's power, his mastery of firebending.

In this scene, we're using it in the same way, only for Azula.

I thought it was for showing that Zuko is open to other ways like how Iroh studied waterbending and drew strength from their art? That he learned another way from aggression using a waterbending movement. Aang had barely gotten started on firebending and he could redirect Ozai's lightning.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #114 on: Dec 17, 2016 03:07 pm »

Yeah, it never had anything to do with power. Iroh even teaches it to Zuko as a way of getting him to feel better about his failures with making lightning.

But it doesn't surprise me that Gene is looking for more ways to think of Zuko as powerful.

Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #115 on: Dec 17, 2016 09:47 pm »

Finally got around to reading this and I have to say I'm glad I did. Despite some questionable writing for which there are many reasons to be critical, I couldn't help but enjoy seeing these characters again after so long. If nothing else, the banter is on point.

"You know Azula, for someone who has been sneaking around at night with a bunch of mental patients pretending to be ghosts and stealing children, you look better."

"Thanks Zuzu, by the way, I don't want the throne anymore, so I'll just make it my mission to live vicariously through you instead!"

"...Whatever makes you happy, I guess?"

Also this:

"Ursa! I told you not to come back here, woman!"

"**** you, bye."

"...C-come back here, woman!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: