Dec 16, 2019 12:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the Forgetful Valley and Hira'a?  (Read 2097 times)
Nikkel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of kings, monster of monsters.

« on: Jul 20, 2015 09:53 am »

According to Gene Yang, the author of the comics, Hira'a is "someplace remote, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the Fire Nation capital city." (Taken from the Avatar Wiki page on Hira'a). Using this, we can assume it's somewhere out in the country or on another island completely. We might also be able to assume that the valley is in a mountain range or between volcanoes.

I am trying to write a fanfic, but it's difficult to make a route for my characters without knowing where they are.

What are your speculations?

Keeper of Urzai, Ursa's Survival, and Azula's Lies + Psychotic Breakdown
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2015 06:36 pm »

Ah, a map question! I love those. Smiley

I like to use Alisa Christopher's map to help pinpoint things, since it shows locations divorced from episode titles, and it guess at some basic terrain. So, based on that map, you can see that the main Fire Nation island is fairly big, and there's plenty of room for the forest and valley we saw around Hira'a, if we take Gene's statement using the comparison to the capital because they're on the same landmass.

If we simply take the reference to the Capital to be about the differences between Ursa's life in each place, then it's more wide open.

There was no mention in the comic of any of the characters being familiar with the area, so I think we can rule out it being anywhere near the villages where Hama or Yon Rha were living. If we assume that Ursa's family settled in Hira'a because it was near Roku's Island, then it can either be placed on the same larger island as Fire Fountain City, or else the smaller island to the east. Fire Fountain City itself is heavily industrialized with billowing smokestacks, and while the island is big enough that Hira'a and the surrounding countryside could certainly be a distance away, my own inclination would just be to stick it on that unnamed island to the east of Roku's island, to get it even further away from civilization. The terrain there is depicted as being varied on Alisa Christopher's map, and although I don't think there's any canon basis for that, it's easy enough to keep and say that there's some mountains there that form the valley.

There's certainly nothing ruling out the other islands, either, except Shu Jing is where Piandao lives, and it's possible that he would have been aware of something like the Mother of Faces if he was living on the same landmass, him being White Lotus and all. The other islands get pretty small, which would limit the space available for the terrain we saw in the comic, so I'm inclined to forgo using one of those, if just to have something more to go by; I wouldn't rule them out by any logic, but we need something to narrow it down for us.

So those are my thoughts. It's a fairly nebulous matter, but with ATLA and its map, we pretty much just have to go by whim to place this kind of stuff.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2015 04:39 pm »

In the "Search" it was mentioned that Hira'a was on the outskirts of the Fire Nation, and it does seem like it takes awhile to travel to there from the main land and back going by sea (looking at the Smoke and Shadow preview).
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2015 04:41 pm by colle » Logged
Nikkel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of kings, monster of monsters.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2015 09:54 am »

I love maps. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the response, Loopy. Your speculation, plus Colle's above, indicates that Hira'a could be on an island. It was also mentioned in the wiki that "Hira'a takes inspiration from the Japanese-settled Hawaiian villages of the early twentieth century, continuing the cultural parallels between Japan and the Fire Nation. True to form, its name is a contraction of "Hirahara"; Hirahara Zenmatsu was one of the first Japanese people to become a Hawaiian settler.".

So, it very well could be on an island near Roku's island. She has a strong sense of family, it would make sense she would not want to be far away from them.

Keeper of Urzai, Ursa's Survival, and Azula's Lies + Psychotic Breakdown
KatrinaKadabra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2015 05:15 pm »

I picture it on Roku's island as well. (That's Crescent Island, isn't it? Or am I mixing names up again?)

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2015 05:36 pm »

Nope, Crescent Island is where the temple was, but Roku's Island is where he lived, which was different, and apparently within sight of the capital.

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2015 05:37 pm »

Was it? Sozin looked liked he was watching the volcano go off from some villa by the sea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: